ImageImageImage

Welcome Matisse Thybulle!

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,509

Re: Welcome Matisse Thybulle! 

Post#721 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Thu Apr 21, 2022 8:36 pm

Mik317 wrote:getting a wing that can actually shoot and isn't slow as **** would be nice.

We're going to have to either develop one or discover one like we did with Cov. There are some hidden gems out there for sure. I like Mattise, I like what he's done for us, but I feel like we need to add one more guy to the mix. There were two players that played for the Lakers this year that I would like us to take a look at in free agency. Both Wenyen Gabriel and Stanley Johnson would be low risk "prove it" type of players to add to this team. I liked what I saw from both of them during their time with the Lakers. Johnson especially looks like he's matured and is ready to step up and earn a payday. He's my sleeper free agent pick up this summer.
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,509

Post#722 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Thu Apr 21, 2022 8:39 pm

Negrodamus wrote:Is everyone back on board with Tobi?

There's a Tobi, Tisse, Furk for John Collins, Jalen Johnson, and Gallinari opportunity.

I see Collins as a bad contract, so it depends on the eye of the beholder, I suppose.

Same, I don't like Collins at all anyway. He's paid at this point and I feel like we can get similar production out of Paul Reed if we just stay patient with him.
Sixersftw
RealGM
And1: 8,754

Post#723 » by Sixersftw » Thu Apr 21, 2022 9:01 pm

ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:

There's a Tobi, Tisse, Furk for John Collins, Jalen Johnson, and Gallinari opportunity.

I see Collins as a bad contract, so it depends on the eye of the beholder, I suppose.

Same, I don't like Collins at all anyway. He's paid at this point and I feel like we can get similar production out of Paul Reed if we just stay patient with him.

Collins ain't it. Also, I think he wants a bigger role iirc.

I'm not sure how I feel about Tobi. He's playing great and if he can keep this up he is an ideal fit on the court. Howeva, the contract is still putrid and if you have an opportunity to get off of it, maybe you take it?
They say an analytics man doesn't have a heart, but I ran the numbers and nothing can be further from the truth - Sam Hinkie probably
Jailblazers7
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,416

Post#724 » by Jailblazers7 » Thu Apr 21, 2022 9:49 pm

I like Collins but if this is the Tobi we get going forward (big if) I’d pass for sure. Collins adds an interesting lob threat for Harden but Tobi’s overall skill set makes him a damn near perfect glue guy for this group. Plus, his deal expires right in time to pay Maxey.

I’d focus all efforts on getting 3&D wings and sign a vet center to the minimum. Tobi’s deal sucks but I’ve said forever that I find it hard to imagine a trade we can make involving him that ends up being a net positive. Either he ends up being a salary dump or is too valuable to the team to trade.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,902

Post#725 » by mjkvol » Thu Apr 21, 2022 11:05 pm

I just see his trade value shooting up like a hot stock.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
stormi
General Manager
And1: 7,687

Post#726 » by stormi » Fri Apr 22, 2022 3:22 am

mjkvol wrote:

I'm kind of on this wave. It's like a stockholm syndrome with this guy and we've been hurt too many times before.

TBF, this is his best playoffs for the 76ers ever. Period.

TS% is at an unsustainable 72.6% atm, so he's playing out of his mind.

His first 3 playoffs in Philadelphia he was at -> 52.1%, 46.1%, 56.1%. Shockingly bad, that's while providing nothing on the defensive end.

Steal rate + Block rate combined in his first three playoffs here were -> 2.6%, 1.3%, 2.2%

So far these 'offs his block rate alone is 3.8%. S+B rate is 4.7%

So he's been uncharacteristically accurate from the field and has been uncharacteristically active defensively. And the eye test is showing him moving unlike he's ever before. Scoring off the dribble, getting out of the way and not pounding the rock, defending hard.

Still only shooting 4.9 3's per 100 possessions which isn't good enough, but he's morphed his game from being a fake scorer to being a glue guy that's doing the dirty work for everyone else.

It's going to take more than 3 games against a **** Raptors team for me to be convinced that he's just been suddenly born anew. The Heat series is going to be a huge test and he's going to have to keep playing at this level if we want to advance in these playoffs.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#727 » by mjkvol » Fri Apr 22, 2022 4:08 am

stormi wrote:
mjkvol wrote:

I'm kind of on this wave. It's like a stockholm syndrome with this guy and we've been hurt too many times before.

His first 3 playoffs in Philadelphia he was at -> 52.1%, 46.1%, 56.1%. Shockingly bad, that's while providing nothing on the defensive end.

Steal rate + Block rate combined in his first three playoffs here were -> 2.6%, 1.3%, 2.2%

So he's been uncharacteristically accurate from the field and has been uncharacteristically active defensively. And the eye test is showing him moving unlike he's ever before. Scoring off the dribble, getting out of the way and not pounding the rock, defending hard.

Still only shooting 4.9 3's per 100 possessions which isn't good enough, but he's morphed his game from being a fake scorer to being a glue guy that's doing the dirty work for everyone else.

It's going to take more than 3 games against a **** Raptors team for me to be convinced that he's just been suddenly born anew. The Heat series is going to be a huge test and he's going to have to keep playing at this level if we want to advance in these playoffs.

He has been unbelievable, especially to those of us that would have traded him for a can of corn at the deadline as long as it got us off that contract. He has truly been the glue guy this team needed, and while it's possible he has embraced his role and way of being a valuable member of this team, like you I need to see it over the course of the playoffs against better competition.

Here's the big question - assuming this really is the 'new and improved' Tobias, is he worth keeping at 38 mil or has his value perhaps been increased to the point where we can being back a couple of nice pieces for that same money?
Foshan
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 1,938

Post#728 » by Foshan » Fri Apr 22, 2022 5:48 am

mjkvol wrote:
stormi wrote:
mjkvol wrote:

He has been unbelievable, especially to those of us that would have traded him for a can of corn at the deadline as long as it got us off that contract. He has truly been the glue guy this team needed, and while it's possible he has embraced his role and way of being a valuable member of this team, like you I need to see it over the course of the playoffs against better competition.

Here's the big question - assuming this really is the 'new and improved' Tobias, is he worth keeping at 38 mil or has his value perhaps been increased to the point where we can being back a couple of nice pieces for that same money?

It’s not rocket science, sure he is shooting great… but he is mostly only attacking on a mismatch, he’s shooting quick open shots, and he’s focusing on defense. These are all pretty sustainable changes.

I’m pretty up on Tobias. I think Embiid and Harden have the leadership to keep him in place and he wants to win.

I just don’t think we get two pieces worth what he gives. Also, since I’m not paying the bill, I don’t mind keeping him and still paying someone the full mle we can use.

Also, I also think money used in these big deals could force us to play our young guys more. Would love for us to bring in a real raw big wing to play the Spring Lee role next year.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#729 » by mjkvol » Fri Apr 22, 2022 1:36 pm

Foshan wrote:
mjkvol wrote:
stormi wrote:

It’s not rocket science, sure he is shooting great… but he is mostly only attacking on a mismatch, he’s shooting quick open shots, and he’s focusing on defense. These are all pretty sustainable changes.

I’m pretty up on Tobias. I think Embiid and Harden have the leadership to keep him in place and he wants to win.

I just don’t think we get two pieces worth what he gives. Also, since I’m not paying the bill, I don’t mind keeping him and still paying someone the full mle we can use.

Also, I also think money used in these big deals could force us to play our young guys more. Would love for us to bring in a real raw big wing to play the Spring Lee role next year.

I would agree that what he is doing is sustainable, and perhaps he now understands that being a 2nd, 3rd, or whatever scoring 'option' isn't as important as being that 'glue guy' that does the work that any championship team needs, even beyond this contract.

The thing that will have changed for the team is that it would no longer be a 'necessity' to move Tobias in order to build the team properly. Thybulle has become the guy most likely to be moved for hopefully a wing who can space and play some defense.
ProcessDoctor
RealGM
And1: 5,194

Post#730 » by ProcessDoctor » Fri Apr 29, 2022 1:43 pm

Thybulle for Seth. Who says no?
2023-2024 Philadelphia 76ers:

Lowry/Melton/Payne
Maxey/Hield/Downtin
Oubre/Batum/Council
Harris/Covington/Martin
Embiid/Reed/Bamba
stormi
General Manager
And1: 7,687

Post#731 » by stormi » Fri Apr 29, 2022 2:28 pm

Thybulle for GTJ please
ProcessDoctor
RealGM

Post#732 » by ProcessDoctor » Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:38 pm

I wonder what Minny would say to a Thybulle + Korkmaz for Beverley swap.

Lowry/Melton/Payne
Maxey/Hield/Downtin
Oubre/Batum/Council
Harris/Covington/Martin
Embiid/Reed/Bamba
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,133

Post#733 » by Arsenal » Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:39 pm

ProcessDoctor wrote:I wonder what Minny would say to a Thybulle + Korkmaz for Beverley swap.

Don't want. Too old and too small.

I don't want any size exploitable players aside from Maxey.
ProcessDoctor
RealGM

Post#734 » by ProcessDoctor » Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:42 pm

Arsenal wrote:
ProcessDoctor wrote:I wonder what Minny would say to a Thybulle + Korkmaz for Beverley swap.

Do you feel like the Toronto series has skewed your view in that regard?

Lowry/Melton/Payne
Maxey/Hield/Downtin
Oubre/Batum/Council
Harris/Covington/Martin
Embiid/Reed/Bamba
Arsenal
RealGM

Post#735 » by Arsenal » Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:44 pm

ProcessDoctor wrote:
Arsenal wrote:

Nope. It's fine to have one, which we do already in Maxey. Once you start putting 2 little guys out there together it causes way more problems.

As long as Maxey is here we should prioritize size at the other guard positions.
Arsenal
RealGM

Post#736 » by Arsenal » Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:49 pm

ProcessDoctor wrote:Thybulle for Seth. Who says no?

We do. We need 2-way playoff performers. Seth is great for the regular season but isn't what we need in the playoffs. Nor could he play with Harden and Maxey as we'd get dominated on D.
Sixersftw
RealGM
And1: 8,754

Post#737 » by Sixersftw » Fri Apr 29, 2022 5:03 pm

Under Florida law, I think Matisse is required to start and play 48 minutes.
They say an analytics man doesn't have a heart, but I ran the numbers and nothing can be further from the truth - Sam Hinkie probably
ProcessDoctor
RealGM

Post#738 » by ProcessDoctor » Fri Apr 29, 2022 5:14 pm

Arsenal wrote:
ProcessDoctor wrote:
Arsenal wrote:

Nope. It's fine to have one, which we do already in Maxey. Once you start putting 2 little guys out there together it causes way more problems.

As long as Maxey is here we should prioritize size at the other guard positions.

I think in Bev’s case he plays bigger than 6’1”, but I hear where you’re coming from. I think the ideal moves this off-season are adding Covington and trading Matisse +/- Korkmaz (salary) for a 3rd guard that can shoot, defend, and/or make plays. Bev, Hield, and Clarkson are some names that come to mind.

I feel like Matisse is so unplayable at times that he can’t be counted on to be part of our playoff rotation.

Lowry/Melton/Payne
Maxey/Hield/Downtin
Oubre/Batum/Council
Harris/Covington/Martin
Embiid/Reed/Bamba
Jailblazers7
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,416

Post#739 » by Jailblazers7 » Fri Apr 29, 2022 5:21 pm

S&T Gary Harris + FRP for Matisse. Sign Covington to the MLE.

At this point I just want a couple wings who can consistently defend and hit some shots. Matisse is must see TV when he’s playing at his max defensive potential but his level of inconsistency will never permit him to be a core piece of a championship team.
Foshan
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 1,938

Post#740 » by Foshan » Sat Apr 30, 2022 11:08 am

If i'm moving Matisse, I'm looking for a big SF. I have no idea who that is.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers