ImageImageImage

David Heller

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

fl311
Senior
And1: 1,182

David Heller 

Post#1 » by fl311 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:08 pm

David Heller is a minority owner with the Sixers who has had zero experience in NBA day to day operations, yet has had a pretty big say over the past 8 years.

Sounds like he is no longer part of the organization.

He has had alot of say over the years and was primarily responsible for the Bridges/Zhaire trade, plus the Butler/Harris trades.

Not sure how long ago he sold his interest, but this might be a pretty big deal.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,055

Re: David Heller 

Post#2 » by Sixerscan » Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:09 pm

Why did he leave?
fl311
Senior

Post#3 » by fl311 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:14 pm

Sixerscan wrote:Why did he leave?

This is just speculation but i would think it has something to do with the Front Office and the direction the team will go.

Personally i am good with anyone who has no NBA experience being removed from the front office. Unfortunately the owner is not going anywhere right now
nickbman
Starter
And1: 32

Post#4 » by nickbman » Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:16 pm

Praying for the day when Josh Harris disappears.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,055

Post#5 » by Sixerscan » Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:21 pm

fl311 wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:Why did he leave?

This is just speculation but i would think it has something to do with the Front Office and the direction the team will go.

Personally i am good with anyone who has no NBA experience being removed from the front office. Unfortunately the owner is not going anywhere right now

Well it sounds like he has 8 years of front office experience at this point :D

Who knows, maybe he got bored or is trying to get a bigger stake in another team.
BarkleyFan
Sophomore
And1: 31

Post#6 » by BarkleyFan » Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:30 pm

Are you saying this may mean the front office is changing course and Heller doesn't want to be a part of it?
PhilasFinest
RealGM
And1: 3,581

Post#7 » by PhilasFinest » Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:32 pm

Hey, if this guy was behind the recent draft....im all for him kicking rocks.
SparksFly87 wrote:Towns got boat feet and gets off the ground very slow with a lack of explosiveness . He is a rich mans Henry Sims to me. No thanks .
Sixersftw
RealGM
And1: 8,753

Post#8 » by Sixersftw » Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:36 pm

I'm interested to know what was the FO sea change that prompted this. The change from Hinkie to BC was jarring but from BC to Elton doesn't seem like a wholesale departure of form.
They say an analytics man doesn't have a heart, but I ran the numbers and nothing can be further from the truth - Sam Hinkie probably
fl311
Senior

Post#9 » by fl311 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:39 pm

I have no inside info on why he left.

The hiring of Brand was pretty simple. They did not want to hire someone and hand over full authority.
PhillyFan11
Rookie
And1: 444

Post#10 » by PhillyFan11 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:46 pm

I know there were some faint rumors...but is there any proof or sound info that David Heller was “heavily involved” in these trades? Because if he was we should probably be more worried about this ownership group than we originally thought.
AirP.
RealGM
And1: 28,729

Post#11 » by AirP. » Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:01 pm

Here's some info I came across...

The article from last September has a lot of good info that's worth reading, including Brown liking Bridges more than Harris, but the extra compensation was too good to pass up.
Smith was identified as the guy with the most incredible upside, and they pushed to get him, and Brown signed off grudgingly.

But sources have said that limited partner David Heller, a businessman and former Goldman Sachs executive, was running the show in Colangelo's absence, and that he, more than Brown, was the acting general manager at least through the NBA draft process if not the whole offseason. Sources have said that co-managing owner Josh Harris listens entirely to Heller.

Sources have said that Heller's role gradually increased during Sam Hinkie's tenure as president of basketball operations and GM. The sources said, on occasion, Heller would run the staff meetings when Hinkie wasn't present.

The entire night in the draft room, all Heller said was, "This is the last time we'll have a high pick. We've got to swing for the highest upside. We've got to find the third star," according to a source.

A source said, prior to the Brand hiring, that there are some front-office personnel who go along with Heller and try not to ruffle his feathers. When they disagree, they have to "massage his ego" to get what they want.

https://www.inquirer.com/philly/sports/sixers/elton-brand-sixers-gm-76ers-ownership-david-heller-nba-20180922.html
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,798

Post#12 » by Negrodamus » Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:09 pm

I don't know, maybe Heller is a person I prefer calling the shots in the draft. Thybulle definitely doesn't seem like a "highest upside" pick.
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 14,114

Post#13 » by BullyKing » Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:11 pm

I'm typically against owner meddling but he was absolutely right on needing to use that last high pick on a high upside player.
NYSixersFan wrote:
the plan is to get as good as quickly as possible....I fully believe we could have been a borderline playoff team last year by adding young veterans....using or draft picks and cap space.....can I specifically tell you who? no.
PhilasFinest
RealGM
And1: 3,581

Post#14 » by PhilasFinest » Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:18 pm

Negrodamus wrote:I don't know, maybe Heller is a person I prefer calling the shots in the draft. Thybulle definitely doesn't seem like a "highest upside" pick.

And either does Mikal Bridges...

This might not be a good thing lol. Maybe he left because Brand/Brown etc were taking on a bigger role?
SparksFly87 wrote:Towns got boat feet and gets off the ground very slow with a lack of explosiveness . He is a rich mans Henry Sims to me. No thanks .
kriss73
Analyst
And1: 1,811

Post#15 » by kriss73 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:24 pm

I found this:

August 24, 2018:

“Yes, they want a name general manager. But they’re also looking for someone who doesn’t have the final say, so to speak,” said Pompey. “They want to do it all like a group decision. There’s a guy in the ownership group. His name is David Heller. He’s one of these guys from New York. When Sam Hinkie was the GM, from what you hear, is he was a guy who was basically running the meetings, and he had a heavy hand in the decision making. And at this particular time, he again has a heavy hand in the decision making.”

Well, he seems to me a guy who was on board with the plan to build for the future and to build a sustenible franchise.
Maybe if he left is because we're heavy going all in with no flexibility in the future?
Adam Silver wrote:"Gross incompetence is acceptable; strategic gaming of a flawed system is not."
AirP.
RealGM

Post#16 » by AirP. » Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:32 pm

kriss73 wrote:I found this:

August 24, 2018:

“Yes, they want a name general manager. But they’re also looking for someone who doesn’t have the final say, so to speak,” said Pompey. “They want to do it all like a group decision. There’s a guy in the ownership group. His name is David Heller. He’s one of these guys from New York. When Sam Hinkie was the GM, from what you hear, is he was a guy who was basically running the meetings, and he had a heavy hand in the decision making. And at this particular time, he again has a heavy hand in the decision making.”

Well, he seems to me a guy who was on board with the plan to build for the future and to build a sustenible franchise.
Maybe if he left is because we're heavy going all in with no flexibility in the future?

Yeah, from that article I posted the link from...
Sources have said that Heller's role gradually increased during Sam Hinkie's tenure as president of basketball operations and GM. The sources said, on occasion, Heller would run the staff meetings when Hinkie wasn't present.
FireMorey
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,597

Post#17 » by FireMorey » Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:33 pm

fl311 wrote:David Heller is a minority owner with the Sixers who has had zero experience in NBA day to day operations, yet has had a pretty big say over the past 8 years.

Sounds like he is no longer part of the organization.

He has had alot of say over the years and was primarily responsible for the Bridges/Zhaire trade, plus the Butler/Harris trades.

Not sure how long ago he sold his interest, but this might be a pretty big deal.

That’s minority GOVERNOR now, not owner.

C’mon not nearly enough wokeness in this thread.

Spoiler:
obvious sarcasm
kriss73
Analyst
And1: 1,811

Post#18 » by kriss73 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:35 pm

AirP. wrote:
kriss73 wrote:I found this:

August 24, 2018:

Yeah, from that article I posted the link from...

didn't notice your post, sorry
Adam Silver wrote:"Gross incompetence is acceptable; strategic gaming of a flawed system is not."
AirP.
RealGM

Post#19 » by AirP. » Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:36 pm

kriss73 wrote:didn't notice your post, sorry

No... it was in the article, I didn't quote that part. The article has a bunch of stuff I'd like to quote, I feel I quoted too much from it already.
kingofthecourt67
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,549

Post#20 » by kingofthecourt67 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:02 pm

Seems like he was doing okay? lol

Return to Philadelphia 76ers