Cap Experts/ Run It Back Question

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

Juannydawkins
Junior
And1: 25

Cap Experts/ Run It Back Question 

Post#1 » by Juannydawkins » Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:54 am

So if we run it back

(Gathering from Derek’s post re: run it back)

2019-20 salary
Jimmy Butler $32,700,000
Tobias Harris $32,700,000
Joel Embiid $27,504,630
JJ Redick (projected) $12,500,000
2019-20 MLE $9,246,000
Ben Simmons $8,113,930
Mike Scott (projected) $5,000,000
Zhaire Smith $3,058,800
Matisse Thybulle $2,150,000
Jonah Bolden $1,698,450
Plus some vet minimums to reach the apron/ fill out roster

What happens NEXT YEAR when Ben gets his raise?
Do we need to lock MLE in on a multi-year deal?
Will Shake need to be part of MLE?
Will we still have space for vets?

I know we’re limited in trades if we enter the tax, but besides that- how are we hamstrung from filling out our roster?
: )
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,473

Re: Cap Experts/ Run It Back Question 

Post#2 » by youngcrev » Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:08 pm

If they run it back...

Next year: they'll definitely be in the luxury tax
MLE: No, 1-4 year deals for non-tax payer MLE
Shake: they can convert him to an NBA minimum deal and offer up to a 2 year minimum deal without touching the MLE. To offer more than that, they'd need to dip into it.
Space for vets: they can give guys vet minimum deals after using up their cap space/exceptions

In terms of how they'll be hamstrung in the future: lower MLE for tax paying teams (by about half) and you can become hard capped for the year at the tax apron if you use exceptions as an over the tax team
PhilasFinest
RealGM
And1: 3,581

Post#3 » by PhilasFinest » Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:10 pm

When you look at it, the development of Zhaire,Bolden,Shake,Thybulle and Shayok along with utilizing the G league is going to be crucial.

Finding cheap talent to contribute is going to be essential.
SparksFly87 wrote:Towns got boat feet and gets off the ground very slow with a lack of explosiveness . He is a rich mans Henry Sims to me. No thanks .
Jams60
Sophomore
And1: 64

Post#4 » by Jams60 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:50 am

PhilasFinest wrote:When you look at it, the development of Zhaire,Bolden,Shake,Thybulle and Shayok along with utilizing the G league is going to be crucial.

Finding cheap talent to contribute is going to be essential.

Was thinking the exact same thing. If one of them can be our ‘Siakim’ next year we’re hard to beat.
Also that MLE needs to be a winner however we spend it.
strotorious
Ballboy
And1: 51

Post#5 » by strotorious » Tue Jul 2, 2019 10:41 pm

Another cap question I haven't been able to figure out, if a team with under 12 players uses cap space to sign someone, does the incomplete roster cap hold come off the books as part of the transaction or afterwards? In other words, if the Sixers have 2.2m in space and a 900k cap hold, can they offer a year one salary oup to 3.1m or just 2.2m?

As close as GS is to a hard cap that might be enough to make an offer to Quinn Cook that they won't be able to match.
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,810

Post#6 » by HotelVitale » Tue Jul 2, 2019 10:50 pm

strotorious wrote:Another cap question I haven't been able to figure out, if a team with under 12 players uses cap space to sign someone, does the incomplete roster cap hold come off the books as part of the transaction or afterwards? In other words, if the Sixers have 2.2m in space and a 900k cap hold, can they offer a year one salary oup to 3.1m or just 2.2m? As close as GS is to a hard cap that might be enough to make an offer to Quinn Cook that they won't be able to match.

Not sure I understand the question, but the whole purpose of a cap hold is that you can't use that part of the cap space. So if they have $3.1m but 900k is tied up in a cap hold, they can only offer $2.2m.

That said, I do think they could have no cap space except a 900k cap hold but then sign a 10-year vet for $2m+, and thus exceed the cap. Not particularly useful but it's there.
strotorious
Ballboy
And1: 51

Post#7 » by strotorious » Tue Jul 2, 2019 11:28 pm

I was having a hard time putting it into words. The cap hold goes away when you sign a player, so I was trying to figure out if a team could account for removing that hold when they make an offer. If a team had 11 players on the roster and 2.2m in cap space, signing a player for 2.2m would leave them with 900k in space because the incomplete roster hold would no longer apply. Instead could they offer 3.1m, leaving them with 0 cap space as the net of everything?

It sounds like a moot point now though. In the past hour the deals for Ennis and Milton seem to have used up the last of it anyway.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers