sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 3,059

Re: Welcome Josh Richardson 

Post#101 » by sixers hoops » Sun Sep 1, 2019 9:03 pm

76ciology wrote:
LloydFree wrote:
76ciology wrote:He has a very promising PnR game. You can’t go under the screen with him being a threat to shoot those 3s. Unlike Jimmy, Josh Rich is going to take those mid range shots if the big plays ICE on defense, and he’s a good mid range shooter.

Richardson was top 20 in catch-and-shoot 3 attempts. Jimmy Butler was bottom 20, for players over 1800 minutes. In fact, the combo of Richardson and Horford had more catch-and-shoot 3 attempts (538) than Redick and Butler (462).

https://stats.nba.com/players/catch-shoot/?Season=2018-19&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&PerMode=Totals&sort=CATCH_SHOOT_FG3A&dir=1&CF=MIN*G*1800

From my perspective, I think spacing will be better for us this season. Specially if Embiid continues to improve on his perimeter shooting.

I am hoping so. JJ couldn’t even be sagged off of much with his movement, release, and accuracy, so he obviously provided spacing. However, if Ben shoots some mid-range shots, and the other guys shoot league average from outside, we should have good spacing.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,107

Post#102 » by Kobblehead » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:18 pm

Read on Twitter
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,568
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#103 » by LloydFree » Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:59 pm

This Josh Richardson trade is going to go down as highway robbery. It's Bobby Jones for George McGinnis, It's Aaron McKie and Theo Ratliff for Stackhouse. Traded a fake Star's name for superior players that fit better with the real stars of the team.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,055

Post#104 » by Sixerscan » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:31 pm

LloydFree wrote:This Josh Richardson trade is going to go down as highway robbery. It's Bobby Jones for George McGinnis, It's Aaron McKie and Theo Ratliff for Stackhouse. Traded a fake Star's name for superior players that fit better with the real stars of the team.

I still would rather have Butler but that's a very interesting/intriguing analogy I'm surprised I haven't seen more people make.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,724

Post#105 » by the_process » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:48 pm

Sixerscan wrote:
LloydFree wrote:This Josh Richardson trade is going to go down as highway robbery. It's Bobby Jones for George McGinnis, It's Aaron McKie and Theo Ratliff for Stackhouse. Traded a fake Star's name for superior players that fit better with the real stars of the team.

I still would rather have Butler but that's a very interesting/intriguing analogy I'm surprised I haven't seen more people make.

The McGinnis for Jones deal is a fantastic comparison here. The other team gets the more talented headcase player, and the Sixers win the trade hands down.
LloydFree
RealGM

Post#106 » by LloydFree » Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:40 pm

Sixerscan wrote:

It's still early. I bet a bunch, you'll feel differently in 2 months. By the All Star break, league will see it that way too.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,055

Post#107 » by Sixerscan » Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:56 pm

LloydFree wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:

It's still early. I bet a bunch, you'll feel differently in 2 months. By the All Star break, league will see it that way too.

Not sure about that (have loved JRich for years, just think Jimmy's a stud that's worth the bs) but I do appreciate giving the benefit of the doubt of giving me 2 month head start on the rest of the league :lol:
PhillyPhilly
Bench Warmer
And1: 522

Post#108 » by PhillyPhilly » Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:49 pm

When you consider the age of Butler, and Josh having a chance to get even better as he moves forward, there's no way I'd rather have Jimmy...not a chance. I always felt JJ alongside Ben was a weakness compared to some of the other guard duo's In the league so needless to say I was delighted with the move :D .
76thBearCub
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,718

Post#109 » by 76thBearCub » Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:12 am

I tried to get behind rooting for Butler, really tried. No doubt he's a damn good player. But I don't have to try to root for JR, or Horford. They just seem like good dudes who want to help the team win.

Sent from my SM-S327VL using RealGM mobile app
ProcessDoctor
RealGM
And1: 5,194

Post#110 » by ProcessDoctor » Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:12 am

It's the 3-point attempt rate where JRich can separate himself from Butler. He's not going to replace what Jimmy did for us in the 4th quarter, but he'll be a more seamless fit.
2023-2024 Philadelphia 76ers:

Lowry/Melton/Payne
Maxey/Hield/Downtin
Oubre/Batum/Council
Harris/Covington/Martin
Embiid/Reed/Bamba
Chris76
Sixth Man
And1: 318

Post#111 » by Chris76 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:21 pm

PhillyPhilly wrote:When you consider the age of Butler, and Josh having a chance to get even better as he moves forward, there's no way I'd rather have Jimmy...not a chance. I always felt JJ alongside Ben was a weakness compared to some of the other guard duo's In the league so needless to say I was delighted with the move :D .

Josh and Horford give BB so many more options for different matchups.

Simmons' versatility is underrated and it should be helpful for some huge advantages this year.

Teams go big or small, Josh and Simmons still matchup well and BB can switch Harris, Ennis, Thybulle, and Scott very easily, when needed.

Butler's age and attitude seemed questionable with young stars. It's interesting to see if he has success in Miami as a 1st option. I worried about his health from all the hard years, already.
ProcessDoctor
RealGM
And1: 5,194

Post#112 » by ProcessDoctor » Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:32 pm

Looks like he's playing back-up PG tonight. Do we have enough wing depth to deploy this full-time?
2023-2024 Philadelphia 76ers:

Lowry/Melton/Payne
Maxey/Hield/Downtin
Oubre/Batum/Council
Harris/Covington/Martin
Embiid/Reed/Bamba
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,107

Post#113 » by Kobblehead » Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:35 pm

ProcessDoctor wrote:Looks like he's playing back-up PG tonight. Do we have enough wing depth to deploy this full-time?

Brett has displayed lukewarm trust towards Shake Milton, but still seems reluctant about Furkan Korkmaz and Zhaire Smith. So maybe.
SparksFly87
Assistant Coach
And1: 395

Post#114 » by SparksFly87 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:36 pm

Love his game , motor and grittiness. JRich fan here. What a blessing having him here in Philly.
LloydFree
RealGM

Post#115 » by LloydFree » Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:44 pm

the_process wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:

The McGinnis for Jones deal is a fantastic comparison here. The other team gets the more talented headcase player, and the Sixers win the trade hands down.

Last night was a perfect example of why "winning a trade" is meaningless. The Heat could win the trade, and it still benefits the whole of 76ers team. Josh Richardson shuts down Dragic and Kendrick Nunn and scores 30 in the flow of the offense. Butler couldn't guard those guys and his effect on the Heat offense, against a good Defensive team, is almost nothing.
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,509

Post#116 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:50 pm

I think Richardson is the key to all of this. Some have said that he'll be able to replicate what Butler did for us and maybe even pass him up. He's not the closer that Butler is, but he's equally talented in a lot of other areas.
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,693

Post#117 » by rzzzzz » Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:16 pm

can't help but think that the circumstances perfectly aligned: playing against the team that developed him (thank you Spoelstra) on the night everyone is focused on Jimmy's return to Philly. (and Embiid exhibited some semblance of post distribution.) here's hoping we get to look back at last night as a serious turning point for the young man.
phillynative
General Manager
And1: 2,739

Post#118 » by phillynative » Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:54 pm

He was splashing from every where last nite and played like he had something to prove. That shot is ugly though, I just hope he starts to find his grove and his spots in the flow of the offense. We need him to be a consistent scoring threat because AL and Ben wont.
agiaco
Analyst
And1: 1,126

Post#119 » by agiaco » Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:37 pm

phillynative wrote:He was splashing from every where last nite and played like he had something to prove. That shot is ugly though, I just hope he starts to find his grove and his spots in the flow of the offense. We need him to be a consistent scoring threat because AL and Ben wont.

Ugly or not he shoots well. Shawn Marion ring a bell? As long as a player can shoot and score I couldn't care less what his shot looks like.
LloydFree
RealGM

Post#120 » by LloydFree » Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:15 pm

Josh Richardson's consistency offensively depends on how he's used. Although he can dribble, he's not a creator. He's a 3-D scorer who can attack closeouts effectively. His big game last night had more to do with Brett Brown not overburdening him with PG duties and Embiid making quick decisions out of the double team.

The last two games were the 1st times all year that I saw Embiid made quick decisions with the ball.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers