ImageImageImage

Welcome Al Horford(?!?)

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, sixers hoops, BullyKing, Sixerscan, CoreyGallagher, Foshan

Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
Posts: 29,838
And1: 12,189
Joined: Jan 25, 2005

Welcome Al Horford(?!?) 

Post#1 » by Sixerscan » Mon Jul 1, 2019 2:19 am

Feels weird man
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
Posts: 29,838
And1: 12,189
Joined: Jan 25, 2005

Re: Welcome Al Horford(?!?) 

Post#2 » by Sixerscan » Mon Jul 1, 2019 2:20 am

I say you bring him off the bench when Embiid plays, let him start when Embiid load manages.
User avatar
GoCeltics123
General Manager
Posts: 8,992
And1: 13,038
Joined: May 05, 2015
         

Re: Welcome Al Horford(?!?) 

Post#3 » by GoCeltics123 » Mon Jul 1, 2019 2:21 am

Going to be honest it's heartbreaking to see him leave Boston, even if most wouldn't pay him that much (or give him a 4th year).

You'll absolutely love him though. Not sure he ages well but Al is so awesome
GET 'EM A BODY BAG KEMBA!!!! YEAHHHHHHH!!!

I lost the bet so I Hate Truth18
User avatar
sixerswillrule
RealGM
Posts: 16,127
And1: 3,176
Joined: Jul 24, 2003
Location: DC Area

Re: Welcome Al Horford(?!?) 

Post#4 » by sixerswillrule » Mon Jul 1, 2019 2:22 am

Hopefully he ages well! Finally the team won't suck when Embiid goes to the bench. But for those 12-15 mpg when the starters are together Al will need to be a Brook Lopez type floor spacer. He'll be a big defensive boost though.
User avatar
Arsenal
General Manager
Posts: 8,291
And1: 4,136
Joined: Jun 05, 2002
Location: Arlington, VA
         

Re: Welcome Al Horford(?!?) 

Post#5 » by Arsenal » Mon Jul 1, 2019 2:24 am

Sixerscan wrote:I say you bring him off the bench when Embiid plays, let him start when Embiid load manages.


Really want to limit him to 30 mpg or less w/plenty of nights off. Same with Embiid. That has to be part of the thinking here.
#ThankYouSam | #TrustTheProcess
User avatar
Tony Franciosa
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,344
And1: 548
Joined: Mar 09, 2011
     

Re: Welcome Al Horford(?!?) 

Post#6 » by Tony Franciosa » Mon Jul 1, 2019 2:31 am

Arsenal wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:I say you bring him off the bench when Embiid plays, let him start when Embiid load manages.


Really want to limit him to 30 mpg or less w/plenty of nights off. Same with Embiid. That has to be part of the thinking here.

then we need another 4/5 combo. and I don't think it's Bolden (I know some on the board have faith that he'll develop, but I just don't see it)
User avatar
Arsenal
General Manager
Posts: 8,291
And1: 4,136
Joined: Jun 05, 2002
Location: Arlington, VA
         

Re: Welcome Al Horford(?!?) 

Post#7 » by Arsenal » Mon Jul 1, 2019 2:34 am

Tony Franciosa wrote:
Arsenal wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:I say you bring him off the bench when Embiid plays, let him start when Embiid load manages.


Really want to limit him to 30 mpg or less w/plenty of nights off. Same with Embiid. That has to be part of the thinking here.

then we need another 4/5 combo. and I don't think it's Bolden (I know some on the board have faith that he'll develop, but I just don't see it)


On defense its Ben Simmons. We only need a another guy for when one guy is sitting.
#ThankYouSam | #TrustTheProcess
rzzzzz
Veteran
Posts: 2,566
And1: 720
Joined: Feb 21, 2015
 

Re: Welcome Al Horford(?!?) 

Post#8 » by rzzzzz » Mon Jul 1, 2019 2:37 am

visions of a healthy Embiid dominating the post season, without the huge dropoff when he's on the bench. the two of them together on the floor should give opponents pause.
User avatar
GeorgeMarcus
RealGM
Posts: 12,349
And1: 13,421
Joined: Jun 17, 2006
   

Re: Welcome Al Horford(?!?) 

Post#9 » by GeorgeMarcus » Mon Jul 1, 2019 2:45 am

Welcome Big Al. Love the post-Butler rebound.

Question: how much cap space do we still have? Is it possible to add Beverley to this core? If not I hope we go after Cory Joseph and/or Seth Curry.
"In my hood, bullies get bullied." - Zach Randolph

The Legend of George Marcus
tsmith
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,440
And1: 759
Joined: Dec 08, 2014
 

Re: Welcome Al Horford(?!?) 

Post#10 » by tsmith » Mon Jul 1, 2019 2:49 am

It's gonna be very weird seeing Al in a sixers uni, excited to see how this plays out though.
WMDman
Rookie
Posts: 1,008
And1: 450
Joined: Jun 29, 2017
       

Re: Welcome Al Horford(?!?) 

Post#11 » by WMDman » Mon Jul 1, 2019 2:52 am

Welcome to the squad old fellow
User avatar
sixerswillrule
RealGM
Posts: 16,127
And1: 3,176
Joined: Jul 24, 2003
Location: DC Area

Re: Welcome Al Horford(?!?) 

Post#12 » by sixerswillrule » Mon Jul 1, 2019 2:53 am

Tony Franciosa wrote:
Arsenal wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:I say you bring him off the bench when Embiid plays, let him start when Embiid load manages.


Really want to limit him to 30 mpg or less w/plenty of nights off. Same with Embiid. That has to be part of the thinking here.

then we need another 4/5 combo. and I don't think it's Bolden (I know some on the board have faith that he'll develop, but I just don't see it)


We've got Harris, Simmons, and Scott all who can play the 4. Boban is fine as a 3rd string center if we keep him.
Monix
Sophomore
Posts: 238
And1: 158
Joined: Jan 20, 2017

Re: Welcome Al Horford(?!?) 

Post#13 » by Monix » Mon Jul 1, 2019 2:54 am

Horford is a stud

>> Defensive anchor when Embiid's off the court

>> Has expanded his range and shoots the 3 now - key to playing with Simmons

>> He might be the back-up PG, lol - has averaged 5 assists per 36 the past 3 years

>> the new veteran leader replacing Butler/Redick/Amir - upgrade

Look at the team he took to the conference finals last season - him and 3 starters 23 and under
User avatar
Arsenal
General Manager
Posts: 8,291
And1: 4,136
Joined: Jun 05, 2002
Location: Arlington, VA
         

Re: Welcome Al Horford(?!?) 

Post#14 » by Arsenal » Mon Jul 1, 2019 3:01 am

Monix wrote:Horford is a stud

>> Defensive anchor when Embiid's off the court

>> Has expanded his range and shoots the 3 now - key to playing with Simmons

>> He might be the back-up PG, lol - has averaged 5 assists per 36 the past 3 years

>> the new veteran leader replacing Butler/Redick/Amir - upgrade

Look at the team he took to the conference finals last season - him and 3 starters 23 and under


There's no doubt he's a great player. One of the most underappreciated in his era because his impact goes far beyond counting stats.

We should be better next year. It's a few years down the road I'm more worried about.
#ThankYouSam | #TrustTheProcess
KevinGamble34
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,609
And1: 1,577
Joined: Jun 22, 2017
 

Re: Welcome Al Horford(?!?) 

Post#15 » by KevinGamble34 » Mon Jul 1, 2019 3:06 am

Best of luck for Al in Philly. Imo, he was the best Celtic the last few years. Like a swiss army knife, can score, hit the 3, rebound, block the ocassinal shot, play great D, and was a fantastic passer. Was slowing down though and was not great on b2b.
Still wish we could of somehow kept him.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
Posts: 29,838
And1: 12,189
Joined: Jan 25, 2005

Re: Welcome Al Horford(?!?) 

Post#16 » by Sixerscan » Mon Jul 1, 2019 3:07 am

Arsenal wrote:
Monix wrote:Horford is a stud

>> Defensive anchor when Embiid's off the court

>> Has expanded his range and shoots the 3 now - key to playing with Simmons

>> He might be the back-up PG, lol - has averaged 5 assists per 36 the past 3 years

>> the new veteran leader replacing Butler/Redick/Amir - upgrade

Look at the team he took to the conference finals last season - him and 3 starters 23 and under


There's no doubt he's a great player. One of the most underappreciated in his era because his impact goes far beyond counting stats.

We should be better next year. It's a few years down the road I'm more worried about.

3rd year is my biggest concern. First two years should be fine. 4th he's expiring,
User avatar
OldCeltics
Starter
Posts: 2,268
And1: 2,147
Joined: Jul 05, 2012
   

Re: Welcome Al Horford(?!?) 

Post#17 » by OldCeltics » Mon Jul 1, 2019 3:20 am

Horford is great at everything but not elite. Defensive anchor and 3pt shooter. He's really a role player by the numbers at 33yo. However, he's quietly a veteran leader, and will improve your team.
oldshoolballer
Sophomore
Posts: 118
And1: 79
Joined: Nov 24, 2018

Re: Welcome Al Horford(?!?) 

Post#18 » by oldshoolballer » Mon Jul 1, 2019 3:33 am

Sixerscan wrote:Feels weird man

It's kind of an awkward fit and I love Al At the least you can rest Embiid without losing much defensively I thought Brogdan would have been a better fit
HotelVitale
General Manager
Posts: 8,061
And1: 4,013
Joined: Sep 14, 2007
Location: West Philly, PA

Re: Welcome Al Horford(?!?) 

Post#19 » by HotelVitale » Mon Jul 1, 2019 4:06 am

GeorgeMarcus wrote:Welcome Big Al. Love the post-Butler rebound. Question: how much cap space do we still have? Is it possible to add Beverley to this core? If not I hope we go after Cory Joseph and/or Seth Curry.

Should be a decent amount still, depending on how the contracts are structured. This is my best guess:
$40m ongoing contracts
$22m Harris cap hold
$20m Horford (assuming the contracts escalates some)
$10m Richardson
$5m scott

That's $97-99m, leaving about $10m in space plus the MLE ($9m-ish). Still got some moves to make!
User avatar
76ciology
RealGM
Posts: 40,412
And1: 12,784
Joined: Jun 06, 2002
Contact:

Re: Welcome Al Horford(?!?) 

Post#20 » by 76ciology » Mon Jul 1, 2019 4:26 am

He’s our Ibaka.

Play the 4 with the starters. Plays the 5 with the back-ups. Almost the perfect PF for us, except for his age
Twitter: Pjeffersonlim| S i x e r s |
¨Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.¨
- Marcus Aurelius

Return to Philadelphia 76ers