ImageImageImage

Welcome Al Horford(?!?)

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,661

Re: Welcome Al Horford(?!?) 

Post#41 » by Negrodamus » Mon Jul 1, 2019 1:44 pm

VDT wrote:I still dont see the fit between Embiid, Simmons and Horford. I get that in regular season Embiid and Horford will not play that much together but in the playoffs they will have to and i dont see these 3 fit together offensively.

I think the real value will be the staggering of Embiid and Horford at center to keep a big man always out there with scoring ability and a defensive presence. But I agree, Horford isn’t really a PF at this stage.
AirP.
RealGM
And1: 28,172

Post#42 » by AirP. » Mon Jul 1, 2019 1:56 pm

VDT wrote:I still dont see the fit between Embiid, Simmons and Horford. I get that in regular season Embiid and Horford will not play that much together but in the playoffs they will have to and i dont see these 3 fit together offensively.

There isn't a fit with Embiid and Horford, he's Embiid's soon to be replacement (could be moved this year or next) as Horford is a much better fit for a B.Simmons team. I think there are multiple reasons, Butler's game doesn't mesh with Simmons, can't have Harris be the 4th option on that contract, Embiid's health. This has all been planned out, Brand even mentioned it would all make sense and it does, he's building around Simmons.
smittybanton
Sixth Man
And1: 398

Post#43 » by smittybanton » Mon Jul 1, 2019 2:33 pm

Welcome!!!!
eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 10,786

Post#44 » by eyeatoma » Mon Jul 1, 2019 2:41 pm

AirP. wrote:

There isn't a fit with Embiid and Horford, he's Embiid's soon to be replacement (could be moved this year or next) as Horford is a much better fit for a B.Simmons team. I think there are multiple reasons, Butler's game doesn't mesh with Simmons, can't have Harris be the 4th option on that contract, Embiid's health. This has all been planned out, Brand even mentioned it would all make sense and it does, he's building around Simmons.
Jeezuz stop. Joel is boys with one of the owners. He lives and breathes Philly. They're not trading him unless he wants out.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
AirP.
RealGM

Post#45 » by AirP. » Mon Jul 1, 2019 2:44 pm

eyeatoma wrote:
AirP. wrote:

Jeezuz stop. Joel is boys with one of the owners. He lives and breathes Philly. They're not trading him unless he wants out.

They just got rid of the 2 players that worked best with him.
eyeatoma
RealGM

Post#46 » by eyeatoma » Mon Jul 1, 2019 2:58 pm

AirP. wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:
AirP. wrote:There isn't a fit with Embiid and Horford, he's Embiid's soon to be replacement (could be moved this year or next) as Horford is a much better fit for a B.Simmons team. I think there are multiple reasons, Butler's game doesn't mesh with Simmons, can't have Harris be the 4th option on that contract, Embiid's health. This has all been planned out, Brand even mentioned it would all make sense and it does, he's building around Simmons.

Finally done with the dho. Butler was a cancer who would eventually destroy this team. Just because they got players that compliment Simmons doesn't mean they won't compliment Embiid. Much not PNR now with Harris and Richardson. All 4 players can shoot decently. Yes it helps Simmons but it is also a salve for Jo when he goes to the bench and to preserve him for the playoffs. If anything this if digging in more for Jo while also catering to Ben.

LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,567
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#47 » by LloydFree » Mon Jul 1, 2019 3:14 pm

AirP. wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:
AirP. wrote:There isn't a fit with Embiid and Horford, he's Embiid's soon to be replacement (could be moved this year or next) as Horford is a much better fit for a B.Simmons team. I think there are multiple reasons, Butler's game doesn't mesh with Simmons, can't have Harris be the 4th option on that contract, Embiid's health. This has all been planned out, Brand even mentioned it would all make sense and it does, he's building around Simmons.

LOL
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
AirP.
RealGM

Post#48 » by AirP. » Mon Jul 1, 2019 3:15 pm

eyeatoma wrote:
AirP. wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:Jeezuz stop. Joel is boys with one of the owners. He lives and breathes Philly. They're not trading him unless he wants out.

Finally done with the dho. Butler was a cancer who would eventually destroy this team. Just because they got players that compliment Simmons doesn't mean they won't compliment Embiid. Much not PNR now with Harris and Richardson. All 4 players can shoot decently. Yes it helps Simmons but it is also a salve for Jo when he goes to the bench and to preserve him for the playoffs. If anything this if digging in more for Jo while also catering to Ben.

25 million for age 34, 35, 36, 37. If you want to believe he's playing PF all that time go ahead, I don't think so and paying ~25 million for mostly a backup isn't a good value.
eyeatoma
RealGM

Post#49 » by eyeatoma » Mon Jul 1, 2019 3:16 pm

AirP. wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:
AirP. wrote:They just got rid of the 2 players that worked best with him.

25 million for age 34, 35, 36, 37. If you want to believe he's playing PF all that time go ahead, I don't think so and paying ~25 million for mostly a backup isn't a good value.
We'll have to wait and see. If he gets injured we're ****.

Wilfried
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,881

Post#50 » by Wilfried » Mon Jul 1, 2019 5:18 pm

eyeatoma wrote:
AirP. wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:Finally done with the dho. Butler was a cancer who would eventually destroy this team. Just because they got players that compliment Simmons doesn't mean they won't compliment Embiid. Much not PNR now with Harris and Richardson. All 4 players can shoot decently. Yes it helps Simmons but it is also a salve for Jo when he goes to the bench and to preserve him for the playoffs. If anything this if digging in more for Jo while also catering to Ben.

You're paying 25 million so he gets you a championship. Doesn't matter 1 bit if he plays 30 minutes or 30 seconds.
AirP.
RealGM

Post#51 » by AirP. » Mon Jul 1, 2019 5:22 pm

Wilfried wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:
AirP. wrote:25 million for age 34, 35, 36, 37. If you want to believe he's playing PF all that time go ahead, I don't think so and paying ~25 million for mostly a backup isn't a good value.

You're paying 25 million so he gets you a championship. Doesn't matter 1 bit if he plays 30 minutes or 30 seconds.

If it works great, not sure that was the best way to spend 25 million to strengthen the team.
Wilfried
Assistant Coach

Post#52 » by Wilfried » Mon Jul 1, 2019 5:33 pm

AirP. wrote:
Wilfried wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:We'll have to wait and see. If he gets injured we're ****.

If it works great, not sure that was the best way to spend 25 million to strengthen the team.

We defenitely needed a backup center who could play some PF too.
Nothing wrong with taking an incredible experienced one, who is still one of the better defenders, very smart, can space a bit, very good passer and probably one of the best characters overall.

We really need a vet and all respect too Jimmy B but for all the lead by example on the court, his off the court behavior was really not going to age well. With Horford, we really have the best captain I could imagine.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,334

Post#53 » by 76ciology » Mon Jul 1, 2019 5:36 pm

25M

Sure we can spend less on a guy like Dedmon.

But we have a good window to win it in the next 1-2 years. Horford is almost the perfect PF/C for us. He compliments both Embiid and Ben.

And I dont know if it matters really since we wont have cap space with or without Horford once we extend Ben.

Atleast we get a PROVEN great complimentary guy for both Biid and Ben in the short term. And in the long term, maybe be primary as a back-up big for Biid that stretched the floor for Ben.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
sixerswillrule
RealGM
And1: 3,591

Post#54 » by sixerswillrule » Mon Jul 1, 2019 7:17 pm

Horford had an eFG% of 53% on shots outside of 16 feet last season. Butler was at 42%.
DaSixers
Pro Prospect
And1: 227

Post#55 » by DaSixers » Mon Jul 1, 2019 7:20 pm

AirP. wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:
AirP. wrote:They just got rid of the 2 players that worked best with him.

Wrong.. he just turned 33... so 33, 34, 35, 36 will be his ages.

Also he will be playing center anytime embiid isnt. I bet half or more than half his min will be at center
AirP.
RealGM

Post#56 » by AirP. » Mon Jul 1, 2019 7:26 pm

DaSixers wrote:
AirP. wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:Finally done with the dho. Butler was a cancer who would eventually destroy this team. Just because they got players that compliment Simmons doesn't mean they won't compliment Embiid. Much not PNR now with Harris and Richardson. All 4 players can shoot decently. Yes it helps Simmons but it is also a salve for Jo when he goes to the bench and to preserve him for the playoffs. If anything this if digging in more for Jo while also catering to Ben.

Wrong.. he just turned 33... so 33, 34, 35, 36 will be his ages.

Also he will be playing center anytime embiid isnt. I bet half or more than half his min will be at center

Ok, off a year(thanks for correcting that), 33, 34, 35, 36, not a whole lot better, but better. 25 million for a backup center who will start and play a few minutes at PF, still not a good use of money even if he's a solid/good player.
DaSixers
Pro Prospect
And1: 227

Post#57 » by DaSixers » Mon Jul 1, 2019 7:31 pm

I think u will be surprised just how good we will be with him the next 2 years.. after that it gets dicey depending how he ages
Wilfried
Assistant Coach

Post#58 » by Wilfried » Mon Jul 1, 2019 7:42 pm

DaSixers wrote:I think u will be surprised just how good we will be with him the next 2 years.. after that it gets dicey depending how he ages

I'll take the 2 rings ...
Winejk
Bench Warmer
And1: 432

Post#59 » by Winejk » Mon Jul 1, 2019 8:55 pm

If Horford is ok with it (he's a team player), I could actually see Scott or Bolden (if he improves) starting at PF. Horford can come off the bench. Kind of like Ivaroni and Bobby Jones back in the day. Simmons, Richardson, Harris and Embiid has enough offense as it is. The fifth starter can just defend and space.
Ben
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,843

Post#60 » by Ben » Mon Jul 1, 2019 9:51 pm

Winejk wrote:If Horford is ok with it (he's a team player), I could actually see Scott or Bolden (if he improves) starting at PF. Horford can come off the bench. Kind of like Ivaroni and Bobby Jones back in the day. Simmons, Richardson, Harris and Embiid has enough offense as it is. The fifth starter can just defend and space.

Oh, god. If Mike Scott starts for this team at PF... well, I...I...I don't know what.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers