Summer Free Agency 2019 Part 4

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

Zumramania
Senior
And1: 409

Re: Summer Free Agency 2019 Part 4 

Post#401 » by Zumramania » Sun Mar 1, 2020 10:22 am

Kobblehead wrote:
fl311 wrote:Why do you think Daryl Morey turned down the job two years ago? Why do you think other GMs didnt want the job?

To see things through with James Harden, whether the ship sinks or not.

Because the Colangelo Group is still running the show and our GM spot is largely a figurehead position.

It's a pretty big leap to try to sell Josh Harris as a tyrannical guy behind the scenes. Every single decision he's made has shown that he's an advice-taker and a delegator. You're attempting to paint a picture of him being the opposite of that and it doesn't add up.

Do you have any piece of evidence for this conspiracy theory claim?
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,051

Post#402 » by Sixerscan » Sun Mar 1, 2020 2:57 pm

ankle420breaker wrote:
PhillyPhilly wrote:
ankle420breaker wrote:Should've just been Shai like most of us were screaming for

Sent from my SM-G970U using RealGM mobile app

The same Shai who just got traded to the Thunder? Look Shai is a decent prospect but let's not act like he's Klay Thompson or something...I'd still take the draft we got over him tbh :D
Agree to disagree. I'd argue Shai is an ascending star who was just the centerpiece of a Paul George trade and now a catalyst in OKC being a massive overachieving surprise who's just 2 games outside of the 4 seed in the west. Not to mention, proving his ability to coexist with other ball dominant guards.

Sent from my SM-G970U using RealGM mobile app

I also wanted SGA but he refused to work out for anyone but the Clippers and reading between the lines after the Fultz stuff they didn't want to take someone and find out they took another situation.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,092

Post#403 » by Kobblehead » Sun Mar 1, 2020 3:17 pm

Shai was a no-brainer to be one of the top 5 players in that draft. Letting him slip by you at #10 because he wanted to pick his own destination is inexcusable. He's a fickle teenager that doesn't know what tf he wants. It's not like he wouldn't report to the team that drafted him.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,051

Post#404 » by Sixerscan » Sun Mar 1, 2020 3:51 pm

That's not what I said. After Fultz they didn't want to draft a guy without seeing if he was hurt, had screwed up his jump shot, was immature, etc. Difference between evaluating prospects from your couch and doing it for real.
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#405 » by Kobblehead » Sun Mar 1, 2020 4:52 pm

If they had actual evaluating skills, they could have trusted themselves and not needed pre-draft access to be able to see the forest for the trees and realize Shai was one of the best players in the entire draft.
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,446

Post#406 » by youngcrev » Sun Mar 1, 2020 5:41 pm

I mean, this board was also standing on the table for guys like Monk, Hezonjas, Stauskas, Dennis Smith Jr, Josh Jackson, ect, ect, ect. I'm not trying to disparage anyone's opinion, let's just not act like any of us have some infallible track record in the very inexact science of projecting prospects to the next level. Can't imagine anyone here is putting in anywhere near the hours of tape watching of the pros and there's simply information that we're not privy to in terms of interviews, medicals, and private workouts.
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#407 » by Kobblehead » Sun Mar 1, 2020 5:55 pm

Shai was an instance where the term "no-brainer" can be applied and be valid, though.

This isn't an instance where people are wowed by Josh Jackson's defense and fierceness, or Dennis Smith's athelticism, or Malik Monk's combination of shooting and athleticism, or Fultz's scoring ability.

Shai was a guy that ticked all the boxes with no holes in his game. Shotcreation, shooting, defense, passing, youth, length. He had it all.

Being scared off by a virtual perfect player because he didn't grant you access pre-draft is silly. You take that kid and you convince him this is a perfect spot for him. He's a teenager. He doesn't know what he wants. His momentary preference to playing for the Clippers is fickle.
PennSports
Junior
And1: 433

Post#408 » by PennSports » Tue Mar 3, 2020 12:46 pm

76ciology wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:
The "MCW was a bad pick" argument is always my favorite. If anything, MCW proved Hinkie's brilliance. He sold high on an extremely flawed player and got a top 10 pick out of him. He tried to fleece Boston by selling high on another flawed player in Okafor (for a top 3 pick no less), but was blocked by Jerry Colangelo. He knew when to cut bait on prospects to take another chance at bringing in a blue chip prospect.

Ok. Since you’re framing the MCW into the top 10 pick. Then allow me to frame it also.

Neither Mikal Bridges or Zhaire (both guys materialized with the suns pick) are better than MCW, maybe even combined. and if they ever become better, i dont think the gap will be big. So it’s not like we traded MCW for Steph Curry 2.0

It surely looked brilliant when it went down. But when the pick materialized, it’s more like meh. You can say the same thing about the Kings pick.

if you know what a process is then you know you shouldn't judge it on one of many possible results. The move was good and always was good. That does not mean the outcome will always be good. The ideology is stacking these good decisions on top of each other in a world where there are many variables to control for. Minimizing those variables is essentially what The Process is.
PennSports
Junior
And1: 433

Post#409 » by PennSports » Tue Mar 3, 2020 1:00 pm

PhillyPhilly wrote:Butler still doesn't like to shoot threes so imo him going isn't a big deal.

we have more problems than just the 3 ball. Lets rewind back to the offseason

- Entered the year with no backup point guard
- No above average ball handlers besides Ben (problem for a while)
- No one that can consistently get to the line besides Joel (Butler)

Butler fills both of these other roles as well as being a closer for us. Dont care what he did before or after joining the team. I didnt want him in the first place but once we had him you had to keep him.

- Entered the year with zero perimeter players that can create and make their own shots
- No volume shooters (JJ, Redick, Cov all gone in the last year and a half)
- No shooters that can get their own shot off or shoot while defended well (Butler, Roco)

Butler would make this team so much better than it currently is. I think the best version of this team is if we just sat on our hands.

- Shamet
- JJ
- Roco or Butler
- Simmons
- Embiid

Thybulle
Shake
Kork
Possibly Saric based on contract
extra picks
extra cash for free agents (brogdon and a rim protector)

Still missing that secondary creator and shot maker. It is too early to peg Shake as that guy but they seem to have lucked into him just as well as lucking into Kork after not wanting him. We have wasted so much
GoSixersBro
Head Coach
And1: 2,476

Post#410 » by GoSixersBro » Tue Mar 3, 2020 6:59 pm

Kobblehead wrote:
GoSixersBro wrote:Sixers would have still had Jrue Holiday and the tank would have never been truly in motion

Jrue Holiday couldn't even win consistently in New Orleans with Anthony freaking Davis.

Any worries that keeping him in place would have hurt our tank are unfounded.

Hinkie just made a bad call and wanted more picks to use terribly on busts.

Holiday led the 2012-2013 Sixers to 34 wins in his lone All-Star season, with a pretty meh to bad roster. (Thad, Turner, Hawes, Swaggy P, Dorell Wright, Damien Wilkins, Moultrie, Kwame Brown). It's a lot easier to win and screw up your lottery odds in the East than it would've been in the West. If Holiday played for the Sixers in 2013-2014, we're most likely without Embiid. His first three seasons in New Orleans were riddled with injury (34, 40, and 65 games played). Keeping Jrue around as opposed to swapping for Noel (who sat out that rookie season) was absolutely necessary in regards to ending up with the #3 pick (Embiid) in 2014.
Here Lies The Process
May 13, 2013 - April 6, 2016
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#411 » by Kobblehead » Tue Mar 3, 2020 8:17 pm

Having one quality player is not going to cost you losses. Especially one that doesn't even move the needle like Jrue Holiday.
GoSixersBro
Head Coach

Post#412 » by GoSixersBro » Tue Mar 3, 2020 8:38 pm

Kobblehead wrote:Having one quality player is not going to cost you losses. Especially one that doesn't even move the needle like Jrue Holiday.

2007 Andre Miller says hi.

The 2013-2014 Sixers won a total 19 games and still had a similar roster as the year prior up until the trade deadline when Hawes, Lavoy Allen, and Turner were dealt. You think Holiday wouldn't have made a difference after leading the team to 15 more wins the previous season? You think we still would've had the 2nd best odds at the number one pick with a fringe starting All-Star PG?
Here Lies The Process
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,446

Post#413 » by youngcrev » Tue Mar 3, 2020 8:58 pm

GoSixersBro wrote:
Kobblehead wrote:Having one quality player is not going to cost you losses. Especially one that doesn't even move the needle like Jrue Holiday.

The 2013-2014 Sixers won a total 19 games and still had a similar roster as the year prior up until the trade deadline when Hawes, Lavoy Allen, and Turner were dealt. You think Holiday wouldn't have made a difference after leading the team to 15 more wins the previous season? You think we still would've had the 2nd best odds at the number one pick with a fringe starting All-Star PG?

Ugh. While I liked him as a player, bringing him in to torpedo their lottery odds in the Oden/Durant draft was just brutal, even if in hindsight Durant was the only franchise changer. I guess they ended up getting a top-5 player from that draft anyway (Jason Smith, obviously, not Thad)
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#414 » by Kobblehead » Tue Mar 3, 2020 9:15 pm

GoSixersBro wrote:

Nope, because he couldn't even consistently win games in New Orleans with Anthony freaking Davis.

Jrue Holiday being a lotto combination destroyer is an irrational fear.

Can we stop pretending that Jrue Holiday was anything more than a JAG up until he took a mini step up in 2018?

Jrue Holiday from 2010-2017: 14.3 ppg player

That average ass player was not going to cost up ping pong balls lol. What are we even talking about, here?
GoSixersBro
Head Coach

Post#415 » by GoSixersBro » Tue Mar 3, 2020 9:40 pm

Kobblehead wrote:
GoSixersBro wrote:

Nope, because he couldn't even consistently win games in New Orleans with Anthony freaking Davis.

Jrue Holiday being a lotto combination destroyer is an irrational fear.

Can we stop pretending that Jrue Holiday was anything more than a JAG up until he took a mini step up in 2018?

Jrue Holiday from 2010-2017: 14.3 ppg player

That average ass player was not going to cost up ping pong balls lol. What are we even talking about, here?

Yeah, you said the Anthony Davis thing already. And why are you taking his average points from his rookie season over a seven year span riddled with injuries to answer my question? How many more wins do the Sixers get in 2013-2014 with Jrue as opposed to without him? Enough to bump you out of the top 3 odds easily.

Funnily enough regarding his time with the Pelicans, the team won more games from 2015-2016 (30) to 2016-2017 (34) to 2017-2018 (48) as Jrue played more games each season (65, 67, 81). Only until last season the whole AD trade demand saga derailed the team's season and they went 33-49.

Ironically enough, Jrue has never played on an NBA team that hasn't won at least 30 games in a season since his rookie season (2009-2010) where the Sixers won 27 (and he was only playing 24 mpg). And the 2020 Pelicans are on their way to pass 30 for sure.

I'm not saying he's carrying a team to the Playoffs single handily, but if you don't think he'd improve a 19 win squad and hurt them being bottom 3, then I think you're just in denial.
Here Lies The Process
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#416 » by Kobblehead » Tue Mar 3, 2020 10:26 pm

GoSixersBro wrote:Yeah, you said the Anthony Davis thing already.

I said it, but I don't think it's sinking in. He couldn't win games with Anthony Davis. How tf is he going to prevent us from finishing at the bottom if he can't even win consistently with a hall of famer in his prime?

You're severely overrating the impact Jrue Holiday has. Especially during his average, at best, role player years. Again, he didn't even approach impact player status until 2018.

Jrue Holiday wasn't going to elevate a stripped down roster with a terrible coach and prevent us from picking at the top of the draft lol. That's just a myth to make people feel better about that terrible trade.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers