Summer Free Agency 2019 Part 4

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

Sixersftw
RealGM
And1: 8,756

Re: Summer Free Agency 2019 Part 4 

Post#161 » by Sixersftw » Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:41 pm

He stay?

It would have been weird without any real meme teamers around.
They say an analytics man doesn't have a heart, but I ran the numbers and nothing can be further from the truth - Sam Hinkie probably
ckchen
Veteran
And1: 574

Post#162 » by ckchen » Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:44 pm

only sad that this happens on the same day JAKARR signs with Indy.
SixthStreet
Sixth Man
And1: 1,546

Post#163 » by SixthStreet » Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:46 pm

We are running it back!!
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,568
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#164 » by LloydFree » Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:07 pm

I guess this is good news for Raul Neto. I guess Josh Richardson is the 3rd PG. Simmons will need to run in all scrimmages.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,145

Post#165 » by Arsenal » Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:34 pm

LloydFree wrote:I guess this is good news for Raul Neto. I guess Josh Richardson is the 3rd PG. Simmons will need to run in all scrimmages.

I don't think these are related. We still have 1 more open roster spot. We obviously wanted a shooter (or a potential shooter), which is why we signed Korkmaz after striking out on Korver.

If they want another PG they'll get one. Looks like they may not want one though.

EDIT: not sure if Exhibit 10 contracts count against the roster limit or not. If so then we are out of spots.
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,145

Post#166 » by Arsenal » Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:36 pm

Big fan of resigning Kork. For as much as people were crying and whining last year, it's undeniable that his game took a big jump forward last season at age 21. There is no reason he can't continue to improve and solidify a spot in the rotation as soon as this season if he continues to work.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,107

Post#167 » by Kobblehead » Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:44 pm

Been saying how sneaky good Korkmaz is, all year. Glad he survived the Brett doghouse and could be poised for a clean slate with coach.

No more Fultz situation for them to beef over.
Skates
Head Coach
And1: 3,776

Post#168 » by Skates » Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:55 pm

Pretty sure they see Shake as the third PG, though his SL performance is at least concerning in that role.
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,568
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#169 » by LloydFree » Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:44 pm

Arsenal wrote:
LloydFree wrote:I guess this is good news for Raul Neto. I guess Josh Richardson is the 3rd PG. Simmons will need to run in all scrimmages.

I don't think these are related. We still have 1 more open roster spot. We obviously wanted a shooter (or a potential shooter), which is why we signed Korkmaz after striking out on Korver.

If they want another PG they'll get one. Looks like they may not want one though.

EDIT: not sure if Exhibit 10 contracts count against the roster limit or not If so then we are out of spots.

They don't count against the roster limit or the salary cap. It's just a way of bribing rookies to go to the G- League (and having their rights) for less than 50k.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,055

Post#170 » by Sixerscan » Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:55 pm

The roster limit is 20 until opening night anyway.
PhilasFinest
RealGM
And1: 3,581

Post#171 » by PhilasFinest » Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:45 pm

Arsenal wrote:This is a bad look for the FO when its clear that Korver is needed here, and our GM was on the radio a couple days ago saying we're going to sign this guy without saying his name.

Was he just pulling ish out of his @ss? Why would Elton say we're going to sign this guy then he signs with our #1 rival?

Maybe he was in fact, referencing Korkmaz and we didn't even realize it lol
SparksFly87 wrote:Towns got boat feet and gets off the ground very slow with a lack of explosiveness . He is a rich mans Henry Sims to me. No thanks .
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,474

Post#172 » by youngcrev » Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:04 am

Remember when people were freaking out about not picking up Korkmaz option?
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,730

Post#173 » by the_process » Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:13 am

youngcrev wrote:Remember when people were freaking out about not picking up Korkmaz option?

Yes, and Korkmaz might’ve been enough to swap in for Shamet in the T.Harris deal had they picked up that option. Worst case scenario, he has a higher salary for trade filler this year.

Another example of this team losing value at the margins.

On another note, I wonder what happened with Fenerbache?
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,474

Post#174 » by youngcrev » Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:24 am

the_process wrote:
youngcrev wrote:Remember when people were freaking out about not picking up Korkmaz option?

Yes, and Korkmaz might’ve been enough to swap in for Shamet in the T.Harris deal had they picked up that option. Worst case scenario, he has a higher salary for trade filler this year.

Oh, come on, that's ridiculous.

And they used that cap space
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 14,114

Post#175 » by BullyKing » Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:26 am

the_process wrote:

To defend them a bit, I don't think that's right. First, Shamet was clearly not in the Tobias trade as mere salary filler but an actual asset that they wanted. I think the Sixers and Korkmaz mutually slinking back to each other shows he has no value around the league.

And his higher salary this year would have been a real issue since we ended up operating below the cap.
NYSixersFan wrote:
the plan is to get as good as quickly as possible....I fully believe we could have been a borderline playoff team last year by adding young veterans....using or draft picks and cap space.....can I specifically tell you who? no.
the_process
RealGM

Post#176 » by the_process » Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:38 am

BullyKing wrote:
the_process wrote:

To defend them a bit, I don't think that's right. First, Shamet was clearly not in the Tobias trade as mere salary filler but an actual asset that they wanted. I think the Sixers and Korkmaz mutually slinking back to each other shows he has no value around the league.

And his higher salary this year would have been a real issue since we ended up operating below the cap.

I agree the Clips wanted Shamet, but could’ve sold them on another young shooter with two years of cheap team control instead especially since they were giving two 1sts. And as far as Kork’s salary goes, could’ve just given Al a flat 4-100 at 25M per, which would’ve been better for tax purposes in 20-21 and 21-22 than what they actually did, and fit him in just fine.
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers

Post#177 » by BullyKing » Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:44 am

the_process wrote:
BullyKing wrote:
the_process wrote:

I agree the Clips wanted Shamet, but could’ve sold them on another young shooter with two years of cheap team control instead especially since they were giving two 1sts. And as far as Kork’s salary goes, could’ve just given Al a flat 4-100 at 25M per, which would’ve been better for tax purposes in 20-21 and 21-22 than what they actually did, and fit him in just fine.

I don't know. I'm sure they tried to get Harris and Horford for less. Now you can certainly make a reasonable argument that they should have walked away from him either but I'd be surprised if they didn't try to get the prices down as much as possible.
NYSixersFan wrote:
the plan is to get as good as quickly as possible....I fully believe we could have been a borderline playoff team last year by adding young veterans....using or draft picks and cap space.....can I specifically tell you who? no.
the_process
RealGM

Post#178 » by the_process » Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:51 am

BullyKing wrote:
the_process wrote:
BullyKing wrote:

I don't know. I'm sure they tried to get Harris and Horford for less. Now you can certainly make a reasonable argument that they should have walked away from him either but I'd be surprised if they didn't try to get the prices down as much as possible.

Don’t forget the Thybulle trade. Elton seems to like to pay top price.
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers

Post#179 » by BullyKing » Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:04 am

the_process wrote:
BullyKing wrote:
the_process wrote:

Don’t forget the Thybulle trade. Elton seems to like to pay top price.

I've been as critical as anyone about his less than judicious use of assets. But I just don't think swapping out Korkmaz for Shamet was something he could have pulled off. But definitely concerning that he doesn't appear to have a walkaway point once he locks in on something.

In fairness though, I've been shocked at the prices in a lot of trades this summer (Crabbe dump, Iggy dump, AD, PG13, Josh Jackson dump, Conley trade).
NYSixersFan wrote:
ProcessDoctor
RealGM
And1: 5,196

Post#180 » by ProcessDoctor » Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:20 am

I agree, it looks like they signed Neto with the intent of him soaking up the backup PG minutes.

Simmons(33)/Neto(15)
Richardson(33)/Smith(15)
Harris(16)/Ennis(24)/Thybulle(8)
Horford(10)/Harris(18)/Scott(20)
Embiid(30)/Horford(18)

For the PO’s Thybulle and Neto or Smith (if he underwhelms) get squeezed out of the rotation. Maybe we’ll add another quality player at the deadline.
2023-2024 Philadelphia 76ers:

Lowry/Melton/Payne
Maxey/Hield/Downtin
Oubre/Batum/Council
Harris/Covington/Martin
Embiid/Reed/Bamba

Return to Philadelphia 76ers