Summer Free Agency 2019 Part 4

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 14,114

Re: Summer Free Agency 2019 Part 4 

Post#381 » by BullyKing » Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:21 am

76ciology wrote:Say what you want on EB42. But he built one heck of a talented team last season and if you compare our roster to other teams, we have one of the most talented roster in the league.

He was spotted Joel Embiid and Ben Simmons, assets like Covington, extra picks, and cap space and this is what he did with it. He bet that talent would overcome fit. He looks to be losing that bet big time right now and should pay the price if it turned out to be wrong.
NYSixersFan wrote:
the plan is to get as good as quickly as possible....I fully believe we could have been a borderline playoff team last year by adding young veterans....using or draft picks and cap space.....can I specifically tell you who? no.
Lou_23
Bench Warmer
And1: 725

Post#382 » by Lou_23 » Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:29 am

One rumor Butler would like to dispel is the idea that he left Philadelphia because of tension with Ben Simmons or Joel Embiid. “I didn’t have a problem with either one of them,” he says. “Still talk to those dudes. I wish them the absolute best. A career of great health, make as much money as you can, win as many championships as you can. I did not have a problem with any of those guys. It just didn’t work the way that we wanted it to work. That’s life. Not everything pans out the way you want it to pan out. But you learn and you move on from it.”
PhillyPhilly
Bench Warmer
And1: 522

Post#383 » by PhillyPhilly » Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:12 am

Butler still doesn't like to shoot threes so imo him going isn't a big deal.
eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 11,224

Post#384 » by eyeatoma » Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:24 am

Lou_23 wrote:
One rumor Butler would like to dispel is the idea that he left Philadelphia because of tension with Ben Simmons or Joel Embiid. “I didn’t have a problem with either one of them,” he says. “Still talk to those dudes. I wish them the absolute best. A career of great health, make as much money as you can, win as many championships as you can. I did not have a problem with any of those guys. It just didn’t work the way that we wanted it to work. That’s life. Not everything pans out the way you want it to pan out. But you learn and you move on from it.”
Hmmm link?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
Lou_23
Bench Warmer

Post#385 » by Lou_23 » Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:03 am

eyeatoma wrote:
Lou_23 wrote:
Hmmm link?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

https://www.si.com/nba/2020/02/28/jimmy-butler-miami-heat-nba-biggest-surprise
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,837

Post#386 » by Negrodamus » Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:35 pm

76ciology wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:
The "MCW was a bad pick" argument is always my favorite. If anything, MCW proved Hinkie's brilliance. He sold high on an extremely flawed player and got a top 10 pick out of him. He tried to fleece Boston by selling high on another flawed player in Okafor (for a top 3 pick no less), but was blocked by Jerry Colangelo. He knew when to cut bait on prospects to take another chance at bringing in a blue chip prospect.

Ok. Since you’re framing the MCW into the top 10 pick. Then allow me to frame it also.

Neither Mikal Bridges or Zhaire (both guys materialized with the suns pick) are better than MCW, maybe even combined. and if they ever become better, i dont think the gap will be big. So it’s not like we traded MCW for Steph Curry 2.0

It surely looked brilliant when it went down. But when the pick materialized, it’s more like meh. You can say the same thing about the Kings pick.

That’s because Brand is actually the one who is bad at drafting. I won’t fault Hinkie for Brand’s incompetence, especially with SGA sitting right there at 10.
Lou_23
Bench Warmer

Post#387 » by Lou_23 » Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:45 pm

Short of a deep and surprising run in the playoffs, where do the Sixers go from here? Though the Sixers did not try to move Horford at the trade deadline, that might be a possibility in the off-season – if they can send that contract to another team and get shooting in return – a person with knowledge of the situation told USA TODAY Sports. The person requested anonymity because he was not authorized to speak about Philadelphia’s plans. – via Jeff Zillgitt @ USA Today Sports
Negrodamus
RealGM

Post#388 » by Negrodamus » Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:02 pm

Lou_23 wrote:
Short of a deep and surprising run in the playoffs, where do the Sixers go from here? Though the Sixers did not try to move Horford at the trade deadline, that might be a possibility in the off-season – if they can send that contract to another team and get shooting in return – a person with knowledge of the situation told USA TODAY Sports. The person requested anonymity because he was not authorized to speak about Philadelphia’s plans. – via Jeff Zillgitt @ USA Today Sports

I'm thinking they are going to have a lot of trouble getting actual value in return, so the most logical trade in my mind is banking on the Dominican connection and sending him to the Timberwolves. Get a young guy or two like Vanderbilt and Nowell, then an expiring contract like James Johnson to be a player in 2021 free agency. That'll allow them to contend next year and keep KAT happy while grooming Naz Reid to take over Horford's position at some point.
ankle420breaker
General Manager
And1: 1,965

Post#389 » by ankle420breaker » Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:53 pm

Negrodamus wrote:
Lou_23 wrote:

I'm thinking they are going to have a lot of trouble getting actual value in return, so the most logical trade in my mind is banking on the Dominican connection and sending him to the Timberwolves. Get a young guy or two like Vanderbilt and Nowell, then an expiring contract like James Johnson to be a player in 2021 free agency. That'll allow them to contend next year and keep KAT happy while grooming Naz Reid to take over Horford's position at some point.
I still feel Brooklyn could end up being a compatible trade partner in a Horford deal. With Kyrie and KD returning next year I could see them having interest in a veteran big like Al to bolster their frontcourt and make a run. Some combination of Joe Harris, Taurean Prince, and Jarett Allen would make it work salary wise.

Gives Brooklyn a formidable lineup of Jordan, Horford, Durant, LeVert, Irving with Dinwiddie as their 6th man.

Sent from my SM-G970U using RealGM mobile app
GoSixersBro
Head Coach
And1: 2,494

Post#390 » by GoSixersBro » Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:32 pm

PhillyPhilly wrote:Butler still doesn't like to shoot threes so imo him going isn't a big deal.

This is true, but are we really going to write off a guy because of ONE facet of his game? Butler wasn't a threat from 3, but we didn't need him to be. He was close to a 20 ppg scorer with us and was constantly putting the team on his back in the fourth quarter on the offensive end, especially in the Toronto series. He's a decent playmaker and above average defender. The front office let our crunch time bucket getter go along with 18 ppg and 2.9 3pmpg from Redick. And instead look what they trotted out this season.
Here Lies The Process
May 13, 2013 - April 6, 2016
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,107

Post#391 » by Kobblehead » Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:02 pm

fl311 wrote:Why do you think Daryl Morey turned down the job two years ago? Why do you think other GMs didnt want the job?

To see things through with James Harden, whether the ship sinks or not.

Because the Colangelo Group is still running the show and our GM spot is largely a figurehead position.

It's a pretty big leap to try to sell Josh Harris as a tyrannical guy behind the scenes. Every single decision he's made has shown that he's an advice-taker and a delegator. You're attempting to paint a picture of him being the opposite of that and it doesn't add up.
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#392 » by Kobblehead » Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:11 pm

GoSixersBro wrote:Sixers would have still had Jrue Holiday and the tank would have never been truly in motion

Jrue Holiday couldn't even win consistently in New Orleans with Anthony freaking Davis.

Any worries that keeping him in place would have hurt our tank are unfounded.

Hinkie just made a bad call and wanted more picks to use terribly on busts.
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#393 » by Kobblehead » Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:14 pm

Negrodamus wrote:That’s because Brand is actually the one who is bad at drafting. I won’t fault Hinkie for Brand’s incompetence, especially with SGA sitting right there at 10.

That 2018 draft debacle predated the Elton Brand hire. That was all Brett Brown.

He only had three guys in consideration that year. Kevin Knox, Mikal Bridges, and Zhaire Smith. What a nightmare.
Negrodamus
RealGM

Post#394 » by Negrodamus » Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:27 pm

Kobblehead wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:That’s because Brand is actually the one who is bad at drafting. I won’t fault Hinkie for Brand’s incompetence, especially with SGA sitting right there at 10.

That 2018 draft debacle predated the Elton Brand hire. That was all Brett Brown.

He only had three guys in consideration that year. Kevin Knox, Mikal Bridges, and Zhaire Smith. What a nightmare.

Ahh, right. I forgot about that. Either way, can't really ding Hinkie for future front office decisions. You can bring a horse to water, etc, etc...

EDIT: However, Elton did have a voice in the process, lol.

When I asked around about who was sketching out the offseason blueprint in Colangelo’s absence, I was repeatedly told that it was a collaboration between Brown, vice president of player personnel Marc Eversley, vice president of basketball operations Ned Cohen, and vice president of analytics and strategy Alex Rucker. (So many vice presidents.) Former Sixer Elton Brand, now the general manager of the organization’s G League team, was also said to be in the mix.
PhillyPhilly
Bench Warmer

Post#395 » by PhillyPhilly » Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:53 pm

Negrodamus wrote:
76ciology wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:
The "MCW was a bad pick" argument is always my favorite. If anything, MCW proved Hinkie's brilliance. He sold high on an extremely flawed player and got a top 10 pick out of him. He tried to fleece Boston by selling high on another flawed player in Okafor (for a top 3 pick no less), but was blocked by Jerry Colangelo. He knew when to cut bait on prospects to take another chance at bringing in a blue chip prospect.

Ok. Since you’re framing the MCW into the top 10 pick. Then allow me to frame it also.

Neither Mikal Bridges or Zhaire (both guys materialized with the suns pick) are better than MCW, maybe even combined. and if they ever become better, i dont think the gap will be big. So it’s not like we traded MCW for Steph Curry 2.0

It surely looked brilliant when it went down. But when the pick materialized, it’s more like meh. You can say the same thing about the Kings pick.

That’s because Brand is actually the one who is bad at drafting. I won’t fault Hinkie for Brand’s incompetence, especially with SGA sitting right there at 10.

Er how many drafts has Brand had? ONE? He was NOT the GM during the Suns/Bridges trade and you're here spewing that MESS? SMH :lol: :lol: :lol:
PhillyPhilly
Bench Warmer

Post#396 » by PhillyPhilly » Sun Mar 1, 2020 12:00 am

Kobblehead wrote:

Wow that "debacle" was sooooo bad that it gave us Landry, Shake, Smith and the Suns pick...JUST TERRIBLE :D
ankle420breaker
General Manager

Post#397 » by ankle420breaker » Sun Mar 1, 2020 1:23 am

PhillyPhilly wrote:
Kobblehead wrote:

Wow that "debacle" was sooooo bad that it gave us Landry, Shake, Smith and the Suns pick...JUST TERRIBLE :D
Should've just been Shai like most of us were screaming for

PhillyPhilly
Bench Warmer

Post#398 » by PhillyPhilly » Sun Mar 1, 2020 1:31 am

ankle420breaker wrote:
PhillyPhilly wrote:
Kobblehead wrote:

The same Shai who just got traded to the Thunder? Look Shai is a decent prospect but let's not act like he's Klay Thompson or something...I'd still take the draft we got over him tbh :D
ankle420breaker
General Manager

Post#399 » by ankle420breaker » Sun Mar 1, 2020 3:24 am

PhillyPhilly wrote:
ankle420breaker wrote:
PhillyPhilly wrote:

The same Shai who just got traded to the Thunder? Look Shai is a decent prospect but let's not act like he's Klay Thompson or something...I'd still take the draft we got over him tbh :D
Agree to disagree. I'd argue Shai is an ascending star who was just the centerpiece of a Paul George trade and now a catalyst in OKC being a massive overachieving surprise who's just 2 games outside of the 4 seed in the west. Not to mention, proving his ability to coexist with other ball dominant guards.

Haset603
Ballboy
And1: 4

Post#400 » by Haset603 » Sun Mar 1, 2020 7:46 am

Michael Porter Jr. was in that draft as well FWIW

Return to Philadelphia 76ers