ImageImageImage

Best Young Team in the NBA- Sixers

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, CoreyGallagher, Sixerscan, Foshan

LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 8,867
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Re: Best Young Team in the NBA- Sixers 

Post#21 » by LloydFree » Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:14 pm

ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:We're young, but I don't consider us one of the best young teams. Our squad feels more like a veteran roster despite that not really being the truth. Depending on the step(S) Trey Young takes, I think Atlanta is the best young team in the east. I really like their roster.

If Atlanta had a decent Center, there roster would be good enough to get the 8th seed. But I got a bad feeling the 76ers are going to look silly for giving them Bruno Fernando in a couple years.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 11,260

Post#22 » by Kobblehead » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:53 am

Sixerscan wrote:They went 22-60 last year and their big off season pickup was Thad. They were 19 games out of a playoff spot, the top of the east is clearly worse but I still think you can expect 8 teams to win 40+ games. They'll be a better with a full season of Porter and some development from the young guys, but a 18-20 win improvement just seems a little steep.

I think all the record stuff should be wiped out of the equation because I don't think it's an accurate representation of what the Bulls were last year. And I don't think it's a good baseline for projecting what they'll be this year. All their key guys missed significant time.

Zach Lavine only played 63 games
Lauri Markkanen only played 52 games
Wendell Carter only played 44 games

Now if you want to account for lack of durability into why the Bulls won't be good this year, I can accept that. But in terms of pure talent, I think they're right there on the fringes of the 8th seed.
ankle420breaker
Head Coach
And1: 848

Post#23 » by ankle420breaker » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:13 pm

ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:We're young, but I don't consider us one of the best young teams. Our squad feels more like a veteran roster despite that not really being the truth. Depending on the step(S) Trey Young takes, I think Atlanta is the best young team in the east. I really like their roster.
Agreed, the squad has more of a veteran identity despite still being relatively young. Aside from Horford our core guys are still 27 and under which should allow for a nice window to contend. The rest of our roster is pretty interchangeable and chances are a handful of them will be moved within the next year.

Sent from my SM-G970U using RealGM mobile app
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 11,797

Post#24 » by Sixerscan » Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:26 pm

Kobblehead wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:They went 22-60 last year and their big off season pickup was Thad. They were 19 games out of a playoff spot, the top of the east is clearly worse but I still think you can expect 8 teams to win 40+ games. They'll be a better with a full season of Porter and some development from the young guys, but a 18-20 win improvement just seems a little steep.

I think all the record stuff should be wiped out of the equation because I don't think it's an accurate representation of what the Bulls were last year. And I don't think it's a good baseline for projecting what they'll be this year. All their key guys missed significant time.

Zach Lavine only played 63 games
Lauri Markkanen only played 52 games
Wendell Carter only played 44 games

Now if you want to account for lack of durability into why the Bulls won't be good this year, I can accept that. But in terms of pure talent, I think they're right there on the fringes of the 8th seed.

Pure talent you might be right, I’m just dubious of a team counting on this many young players transitioning that talent into wins. Especially with the teenage point guard issue. It would be a pretty tremendous accomplishment for White to even be low level starter quality at his age. Look at someone like Fox who I love as a player now but was legit one of the worst players in the league as a rookie. It takes some time to learn that position even for the most talented guys (which I wouldn’t consider White).

Not saying it’s impossible, a team with this many young players has a broad range of outcomes, but I think the most likely outcome is low to mid 30s wins, give or take depending on the playoffs versus tanking incentives they have.
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#25 » by Kobblehead » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:12 pm

There's not really that much responsibility on Coby White's plate, though.

There's already an established #1 and #2 scoring option in place. Zach Lavine is going to be the primary ball handler. White won't be burdened with playing on the ball all the time and carrying the #1 scoring load like the typical lotto guard going to a team with a bad record. His circumstance is actually set up pretty cushy for him to have a nice rookie year.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#26 » by Sixerscan » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:28 pm

Zach Lavine getting more responsibility doesn’t make me feel better about the team. I imagine we will be back here again next summer and wondering why despite Lavine having good scoring numbers and efficiency the offense wasn’t better. Guy has terrible habits and a teenager probably won’t be the one to reel him in. But I guess we’ll see.
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#27 » by Kobblehead » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:36 pm

I took all Lavine's early career mistakes with a grain of salt because I think he was the least polished lotto pick in my memory. As a prospect, he was barely even a basketball player. He was literally just an freak athlete on UCLA's bench that wowed scouts during the predraft process.

Where he's at right now is astounding to me and where he'll be as he continues to fine-tune his game has me excited about his and the Bulls' future.
Ben
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,435

Post#28 » by Ben » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:30 pm

Kobblehead wrote:I took all Lavine's early career mistakes with a grain of salt because I think he was the least polished lotto pick in my memory. As a prospect, he was barely even a basketball player. He was literally just an freak athlete on UCLA's bench that wowed scouts during the predraft process.

Where he's at right now is astounding to me and where he'll be as he continues to fine-tune his game has me excited about his and the Bulls' future.

I agree with your previous post about how many games some of the Bulls' young core missed last year-- Lavine, Markkanen, and Carter-- and also must add that the Bulls were tanking much of the year, so their previous record shouldn't be held against them.

It's also important to note that not only did they add Thad, but also (and maybe more importantly) Satoranský.
White may or may not be a hit; I'm not sold. But strictly for this coming year:
Satoranský
Lavine
Porter
Markkanen
Carter

Is a pretty competitive starting 5, with Thad Young as a 6th man (possibly playing as many minutes as one of the above-named forwards).

I don't see them as having that high of a ceiling, though.

Re: Porter, I could easily see the Bulls letting him walk. He'll be a UFA after the season, and could command $30M on the market, and the Bulls can only afford to pay so many of their young players.

Re: Lavine, while a lot better than I thought he would be when he originally came to the team, still reminds me of Jalen Rose. He could be a valuable piece on a very strong, veteran team, but as a lead piece on a young team I'm not convinced. He's a sieve on defense and hasn't shown the highest BBIQ.

Re: Markkanen, I like the guy, quality player, but a superstar? Someone who'll take over games? Seems doubtful.
Carter is very, very solid. A core of Carter, Lavine, and Markkanen could also be high quality with the right players added alongside. But will it ever be elite? Seems doubtful to me.

Plus, the team still needs to start playing defense. At least they got rid of Fred Hoiberg, who never should have been an NBA head coach (at least at this point in time). But while Jim Boylen is solid-- I keep using that word with the Bulls-- I don't see him as a miracle worker.

In short, the Bulls look to be able to claim a post-Butler "rebuild" to the point of being a borderline playoff team after two years of Tank City. A borderline playoff team will fill enough luxury boxes to keep ownership happy. And if they get a fluke good-health year and everyone stays healthy, they could even be a to 4 or 5 EC team for the year. But that'd just be for this year. Porter might walk in the offseason. And unless they can sign a superstar FA in the next few years, something that they've never been able to do-- and man, Chicago is given way too hard of a time as a destination city, because it's a tremendous place with the sole misfortune of being cold 7 months out of the year-- I can't really see them becoming a serious title contender.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#29 » by Sixerscan » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:08 pm

Well they started the season 11-40 so I don’t think we can brush off last season entirely as tanking anymore than you can brush off the Hawks, Cavs Knicks and so on as tanking.

When Carter got hurt they were 8 games into an eventual 10 game losing streak with all 3 of Lavine Lauri and Carter playing. Lauri and Lavine played every game of a stretch in January where they lost 14 of 15.

I think the Hawks are the young team that might make a jump, and still think the Pistons and Magic are better. The Hawks actually had a long continuous stretch of competent basketball once Collins got back and Young got his feet under him. The Bulls being decent is still pretty theoretical unless you want to it a lot of stock into the games Porter played (which isn’t totally crazy though I don’t agree it’s enough).
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#30 » by Kobblehead » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:00 pm

Detroit doesn't impress me.
Miami doesn't impress me.
Toronto doesn't impress me.
Orlando doesn't impress me.

I think the best version of Chicago is better and more talented than all four of those teams.
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 4,809

Post#31 » by Negrodamus » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:11 pm

I also have a lot more faith than most that Chandler Hutchison will make a sizable jump in his second season.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers