ImageImageImage

Sixers Media Day/Training Camp

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,510

Re: Sixers Media Day/Training Camp 

Post#201 » by 76ciology » Sun Oct 6, 2019 4:48 am

Thybulle was so good, Zhaire was forgotten this game.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#202 » by 76ciology » Sun Oct 6, 2019 5:01 am

My thoughts:
- I see Ben shooting 25% from 3s this year and 30% at best.
- I like Al at 5. His release and attacking close outs aren’t that quick that he might struggle at 4. He was outstanding on defense
- Josh Rich was impressive to me. Whenever plays are called for him, he delivers.
- korkmaz showed his mamba mentality this game.
- KOQ is good as back-up for Al at the 5.
- Thybulle will be a borderline star like Roco and win a first all defensive team award in the future.
- Trey Burke struggled with his shooting. Even with his FTs and he is horrible at defense and driving to the paint.
- Neto played good defense, can shoot and made good reads on his PnRs.
- Tobias was Ok. He needs to play more 2 man game offense and less read and react offense.
- I saw some Hibbert-esque verticality with Biid on defense that I like.

Overall.. the way I see it Ben and Biid took a real step back this game and was letting the fans see the new guys like Thybulle, Zhaire, Josh and Al. We haven’t seen the 2019-2020 version of Biid and Ben yet.

I like to see more simplified offense. More two man game and bully ball against mismatches. The blue squad had a ton of TOs this game

And unless we figure it out, we’re really prone to be beaten by inferior talented but superior shooting teams just as how the white team got the lead in the first half.

Im not overreacting, like i said, I believe Biid and Ben didnt play hard this game and we wanted to show the new guys.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
PhillyPhilly
Bench Warmer
And1: 522

Post#203 » by PhillyPhilly » Sun Oct 6, 2019 7:43 am

76ciology wrote:My thoughts:
- I see Ben shooting 25% from 3s this year and 30% at best.
- I like Al at 5. His release and attacking close outs aren’t that quick that he might struggle at 4.
- Josh Rich was impressive to me. Whenever plays are called for him, he delivers.
- korkmaz showed his mamba mentality this game.
- KOQ is good as back-up for Al at the 5.
- Thybulle will be a borderline star like Roco and win a first all defensive team award in the future.
- Trey Burke struggled with his shooting. Even with his FTs and he is horrible at defense and driving to the paint.
- Neto played good defense, can shoot and made good reads on his PnRs.
- Tobias was Ok. He needs to play more 2 man game offense and less read and react offense.
- I saw some Hibbert-esque verticality with Biid on defense that I like.

Overall.. the way I see it Ben and Biid took a real step back this game and was letting the fans see the new guys like Thybulle, Zhaire, Josh and Al. We haven’t seen the 2019-2020 version of Biid and Ben yet.

I like to see more simplified offense. More two man game and bully ball against mismatches. The blue squad had a ton of TOs this game

And unless we figure it out, we’re really prone to be beaten by inferior talented but superior shooting teams just as how the white team got the lead in the first half.

Im not overreacting, like i said, I believe Biid and Ben didnt play hard this game and we wanted to show the new guys.

Are you really analyzing a damn scrimmage game? :lol: :lol:
Wilfried
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,907

Post#204 » by Wilfried » Sun Oct 6, 2019 8:24 am

How was Jonah Bolden? I feel he could become a nice part of our team in the future (replacement for Mike Scott?)
76ciology
RealGM

Post#205 » by 76ciology » Sun Oct 6, 2019 9:48 am

Al was great on defense. Switches on guards, rotates well to defend outside shots, protects the rim on halfcourt and transition. He probably has 3-4 blocks this game. He carried the blue team defense when Biid was on the bench
Ericb5
RealGM
And1: 3,377

Post#206 » by Ericb5 » Sun Oct 6, 2019 1:50 pm

76ciology wrote:
Simmons25 wrote:
vossy_3 wrote:
Made 16 from 26 shots.

I don't think that is 30%.

It's 61% but in the context of the fact that it's in an open gym and multiple shots from the same spot... that is absolutely horrid. Hell even I shoot between 70 to 80% according to the Homecourt app whenever I go down to the gym and I'm a 48 year old with bad knees.

What i meant was, in game, i can only see him shoot 30% at best

I don’t see any chance of him hitting 30% from 3 this year. He has never even made one in his career. When he shoots 30% from 3 he will be an mvp candidate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
smittybanton
Sixth Man
And1: 398

Post#207 » by smittybanton » Sun Oct 6, 2019 9:09 pm

Musings from the Blue/White Scrimmage...

Literally laying around fantasizing about how good the sixers are going to be.

Kyle oquinn hit a three? Dont let us have two full units with 7ft wingspans all shooting threes.

Matisse will start on load management days. He’s covington with a handle and possibly some court vision. His baseline game is already nice. As Al Horford inevitably recedes, Ben, Josh, Matisse, Tobias and Joel is going to be phenomenal.

I’m ready to crow over thybulle, nicolas claxton and daniel gafford; the three guys i wanted the sixers to get. Matisse being ready to play creates a little bit of jam up after you get past him, mike scott and james ennis. Where are zhaire, shake and furkan’s minutes coming from? Besides many fourth quarter blowouts, that is. Lol. The only one out of the six who should play the four is scott, only one out of the six who can play the one is shake. Not even counting shayock or highsmith.

Josh Richardson off the dribble is a thing. If bb lets him have backup pg minutes, no team can score on us, ever. According to Basketball Reference, he’s played there a little bit in Miami when Goran Dragic and Tyler Johnson and Dion Waiters were down. The problem is that he can’t guard the point for 48minutes. I’m not sure zhaire or anyone else we have can do it against the best teams. For example, i dont think zhaire can hold josh, much less lou williams or eric gordon. Brown's avery bradley comp is apt as a new comp, which may take another year or so to reach.

So, very little about the blue and white scrimmage squelched my interest in Kris Dunn. Burke has strengths, but also limitations, as does neto. Inability to score above the rim or guard up is hard to hide against good teams. Good offensive game from Shake is certainly a positive. But bbrown still went with burke to lead the 2nd unit. I would love it if Shake, Burke and Neto were fighting for the third point guard spot instead of the backup.

The going rate for borderline starting point guards seems to be two 2nd round picks. That’s what the Bulls paid for Satoransky, and what the Magic essentially are giving to the Sixers since OKC2020(x20) will likely devolve into OKC22(2d) and OKC23(2d). Elton Brand could flip OKC20 to Chicago so they can pretend they got a first round pick for Dunn. However, 2022 will have two draft classes in it and the Thunder may suck, so #30-40 could be the equivalent to around the #20 pick in a normal draft. PHI20 should be between 28-30, so I’d have no problem moving that, considering we own the Knicks20(2d) which should be between 31-35.

Ben Simmons, Josh Richardson, Tobias Harris, Al Horford, Joel Embiid

Kris Dunn, Matisse Thybulle, James Ennis, Mike Scott, Kyle OQuinn

Trey Burke, Zhaire Smith, Shake Milton, Furkan Korkmaz, Jonah Bolden

65-17, NBA Champions
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,568
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#208 » by LloydFree » Sun Oct 6, 2019 10:15 pm

smittybanton wrote:Musings from the Blue/White Scrimmage...

Literally laying around fantasizing about how good the sixers are going to be.

Kyle oquinn hit a three? Dont let us have two full units with 7ft wingspans all shooting threes.

Matisse will start on load management days. He’s covington with a handle and possibly some court vision. His baseline game is already nice. As Al Horford inevitably recedes, Ben, Josh, Matisse, Tobias and Joel is going to be phenomenal.

I’m ready to crow over thybulle, nicolas claxton and daniel gafford; the three guys i wanted the sixers to get. Matisse being ready to play creates a little bit of jam up after you get past him, mike scott and james ennis. Where are zhaire, shake and furkan’s minutes coming from? Besides many fourth quarter blowouts, that is. Lol. The only one out of the six who should play the four is scott, only one out of the six who can play the one is shake. Not even counting shayock or highsmith.

Spoiler:
Josh Richardson off the dribble is a thing. If bb lets him have backup pg minutes, no team can score on us, ever. According to Basketball Reference, he’s played there a little bit in Miami when Goran Dragic and Tyler Johnson and Dion Waiters were down. The problem is that he can’t guard the point for 48minutes. I’m not sure zhaire or anyone else we have can do it against the best teams. For example, i dont think zhaire can hold josh, much less lou williams or eric gordon. Brown's avery bradley comp is apt as a new comp, which may take another year or so to reach.

So, very little about the blue and white scrimmage squelched my interest in Kris Dunn. Burke has strengths, but also limitations, as does neto. Inability to score above the rim or guard up is hard to hide against good teams. Good offensive game from Shake is certainly a positive. But bbrown still went with burke to lead the 2nd unit. I would love it if Shake, Burke and Neto were fighting for the third point guard spot instead of the backup.

The going rate for borderline starting point guards seems to be two 2nd round picks. That’s what the Bulls paid for Satoransky, and what the Magic essentially are giving to the Sixers since OKC2020(x20) will likely devolve into OKC22(2d) and OKC23(2d). Elton Brand could flip OKC20 to Chicago so they can pretend they got a first round pick for Dunn. However, 2022 will have two draft classes in it and the Thunder may suck, so #30-40 could be the equivalent to around the #20 pick in a normal draft. PHI20 should be between 28-30, so I’d have no problem moving that, considering we own the Knicks20(2d) which should be between 31-35.

Ben Simmons, Josh Richardson, Tobias Harris, Al Horford, Joel Embiid

Kris Dunn, Matisse Thybulle, James Ennis, Mike Scott, Kyle OQuinn

Trey Burke, Zhaire Smith, Shake Milton, Furkan Korkmaz, Jonah Bolden

65-17, NBA Champions

I'm excited by Mattise Thybulle too, but he isn't "Covington with a handle". He can't dribble either. But that's OK right now, for this team.

I've also tried to guess who Brett Brown will choose to start on load management days. The easy answer would be to just start Mike Scott, especially early in the season. But I think when Horford sits, there is a good chance they move Tobias up to PF and Mattise in as SF.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,055

Post#209 » by Sixerscan » Mon Oct 7, 2019 1:47 am

They might also start O'Quinn and play him 15-20 minutes just to keep the rotations somewhat consistent.
phillynative
General Manager
And1: 2,735

Post#210 » by phillynative » Mon Oct 7, 2019 11:01 am

So who has the edge so far in these training camp battles?

Burke vs Neto _Backup PG

Matisse vs Zhaire _3&D Guards( i dont consider either a wing)

Norvelle Pelle vs Christ Koumadje _Big Man Insurance

Furkan vs Shake _SG Battle

Highsmith vs Isiah Miles vs Shayok _Who has the best chance to get called up

Mike Scott vs Jonah bolden _Quiet stretch 4 battle
ankle420breaker
General Manager
And1: 1,965

Post#211 » by ankle420breaker » Mon Oct 7, 2019 11:40 am

phillynative wrote:So who has the edge so far in these training camp battles?

Burke vs Neto _Backup PG

Burke
Thybulle
Pelle
Furkan
Shayok
Scott

Sent from my SM-G970U using RealGM mobile app
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,463

Post#212 » by youngcrev » Mon Oct 7, 2019 4:24 pm

phillynative wrote:So who has the edge so far in these training camp battles?

Burke vs Neto _Backup PG

I don't really think Scott/Bolden is a competition, and the guys on 2 way deals likely win their battle by default.

I'd say the camp battles are for the backup 1 and backup wing spots.

So:
Neto vs Burke vs Milton
And
Ennis vs Thybulle vs Smith vs Korkmaz
TFK
Junior
And1: 226

Post#213 » by TFK » Mon Oct 7, 2019 5:03 pm

Scott v Bolden LMAO
ankle420breaker
General Manager
And1: 1,965

Post#214 » by ankle420breaker » Tue Oct 8, 2019 3:35 pm

First preseason contest tonight at 7pm. Looking forward to seeing the likes of Neto, Burke, Smith, and Thybulle make their cases for playing time in these exhibition games.

Sent from my SM-G970U using RealGM mobile app
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,782

Post#215 » by Negrodamus » Tue Oct 8, 2019 6:33 pm

If Matisse can just get to his spots on offense and hit threes created for him by Embiid or Simmons, then Thybulle should be better than Zhaire based on how fast he is along with his length. He's going to get burned a lot on reaching in and BS fouls, but it will be tough to get a clean shot off on him. I don't think Zhaire has that kind of defense.
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,568
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#216 » by LloydFree » Tue Oct 8, 2019 7:06 pm

Negrodamus wrote:If Matisse can just get to his spots on offense and hit threes created for him by Embiid or Simmons, then Thybulle should be better than Zhaire based on how fast he is along with his length. He's going to get burned a lot on reaching in and BS fouls, but it will be tough to get a clean shot off on him. I don't think Zhaire has that kind of defense.

They're different. Mattise is clearly a disruptor, but Zhaire has extremely good feet and can stay in front of his man. I watched one of his college games (Texas Tech Oklahoma) and Trae Young couldn't get by him. Zhaire won't get the steals, but he's more likely to force a bad shot on a drive then get the rebound.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,782

Post#217 » by Negrodamus » Tue Oct 8, 2019 7:26 pm

LloydFree wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:If Matisse can just get to his spots on offense and hit threes created for him by Embiid or Simmons, then Thybulle should be better than Zhaire based on how fast he is along with his length. He's going to get burned a lot on reaching in and BS fouls, but it will be tough to get a clean shot off on him. I don't think Zhaire has that kind of defense.

They're different. Mattise is clearly a disruptor, but Zhaire has extremely good feet and can stay in front of his man. I watched one of his college games (Texas Tech Oklahoma) and Trae Young couldn't get by him. Zhaire won't get the steals, but he's more likely to force a bad shot on a drive then get the rebound.

Based on how NBA defense is played, I feel like Thybulle is more valuable in what he can do.

https://streamable.com/agoc0

Most can face guard a wing player and prevent a clean look at a three. It's the guys that help disrupt on drives and interior passes that set the defense apart, IMO.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,055

Post#218 » by Sixerscan » Tue Oct 8, 2019 7:28 pm

Negrodamus wrote:
LloydFree wrote:

Based on how NBA defense is played, I feel like Thybulle is more valuable in what he can do.

https://streamable.com/agoc0

Most can face guard a wing player and prevent a clean look at a three. It's the guys that help disrupt on drives and interior passes that set the defense apart, IMO.

Zhaire may be able to cover point guards/guys that attack out of iso/pick and rolls though. They’ll be a good balance that hopefully Brett can deploy as needed.

Do agree though that in a lineup where either guy would be the 4th/5th best defender (which should happen a lot/is scary) Thybulle being able to do his thing off ball is probably more valuable. Like you could put him on Smart or something and tell him to help off liberally.
TeZag
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#219 » by TeZag » Tue Oct 8, 2019 8:40 pm

Is there a way to watch tonight’s exhibition game on TV?
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,463

Post#220 » by youngcrev » Tue Oct 8, 2019 8:52 pm

TeZag wrote:Is there a way to watch tonight’s exhibition game on TV?

It's NBC Sports Philly. I'm guessing you'll be able to find a stream if you don't have access

Return to Philadelphia 76ers