Around the League - 2019-2020

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

VDT
Analyst
And1: 2,106

Re: Around the League - 2019-2020 

Post#2681 » by VDT » Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:17 pm

Kobblehead wrote:
VDT wrote:It's not really the coach's fault imo. The Clippers problem is that they dont have an offensive system to get them some easy shots. At the same time it is hard to have a system with no playmaker, an iso guy in Kawhi and a glorified 3+D guy in George. The same thing will happen to the Nets unless they fix their roster issues. The same thing happened to the Sixers. You cant win with just iso, not even Jordan could do it.

Do you really think that had any impact?

I think the Clippers problems were 100% intangible related.

That team was a mess all year in terms of commitment. They had more healthy scratches than any team in the league this year. They had guys in and out of the bubble. There are reports from insiders saying that 80% of the team didn't even want to go to the bubble or resume the season. Their two best players are charisma vacuums with no personalities so no leadership. Their team is also chock-full of overgrown man-children so that compounded the lack of leadership.

I like Doc, but this was his worst coaching job in a while. He demanded nothing from his players and had their backs and sniped at the media whenever they were asked about why this team looked so flat and disengaged all year.

They lack leadership and they lack a system to give them some easy points. But that's because of the roster construction. They dont have any player to create for others and their main stars are an iso guy and a glorified 3+D player. The Nets will have the same issue next year unless they make some trades. The Sixers have the same issue when their offense is to get the ball to Embiid and let him iso while everyone else stands still. It is hard to win against talented teams that also have a functional system playing like that.

Bubble hurt them mostly because they lost the home court advantage, otherwise it was the same for every team.

Having said that, all teams have flaws this year and you always need to get lucky. The Raptors won the title last year and they were close to be eliminated in the second round and they would likely be eliminated if the bubble happened last year.
XtremeDunkz
General Manager
And1: 6,760

Post#2682 » by XtremeDunkz » Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:32 am

Jimmy being clutch again.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
10/27/16
Nemesis21 wrote:It is absolutely hilarious hearing people still say Embiid has superstar potential.The guy is one injury away from being Greg Oden.:lol: Except Oden manged to play over 100 games in the NBA, I don't think Embiid will play more.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,751

Post#2683 » by Stanford » Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:33 am

Wish Jimmy wasn't such an aimless turd here. He's exactly what we need
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,098

Post#2684 » by Arsenal » Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:36 am

Stanford wrote:Wish Jimmy wasn't such an aimless turd here. He's exactly what we need

I don't care what he supposedly did. World class idiocy to let him go.
Arsenal
RealGM

Post#2685 » by Arsenal » Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:38 am

Dragic has been fantastic in this game also.

Not talked about much, but the Heat are being led by two guys in their 30's in Butler and Dragic.
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,444

Post#2686 » by youngcrev » Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:52 am

Arsenal wrote:Dragic has been fantastic in this game also.

Not talked about much, but the Heat are being led by two guys in their 30's in Butler and Dragic.

Yeah. Kinda crazy that he was originally supposed to go to Dallas in the Butler S&T until that fell apart. If the Blazers didn't bail the Heat out by taking Whiteside this whole thing might not have happened.
XtremeDunkz
General Manager
And1: 6,760

Post#2687 » by XtremeDunkz » Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:52 am

Arsenal wrote:
Stanford wrote:Wish Jimmy wasn't such an aimless turd here. He's exactly what we need

Exactly. Who cares. It's not like he's out getting arrested or getting in to trouble. He wants to win. And he is, somewhere else.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
10/27/16
Nemesis21 wrote:It is absolutely hilarious hearing people still say Embiid has superstar potential.The guy is one injury away from being Greg Oden.:lol: Except Oden manged to play over 100 games in the NBA, I don't think Embiid will play more.
VDT
Analyst

Post#2688 » by VDT » Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:05 am

Lets not overreact. Butler had 14 points on 4/11 shooting. The reason the Heat are in the conference finals is their team play and playstyle and the unexpected contribution they are getting for Dragic and their young players.

Their talent is limited but they are able to overcome that by following the trends, chucking 3s and going small to defend the pnr.
Arsenal
RealGM

Post#2689 » by Arsenal » Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:12 am

VDT wrote:Lets not overreact. Butler had 14 points on 4/11 shooting. The reason the Heat are in the conference finals is their team play and playstyle and the unexpected contribution they are getting for Dragic and their young players.

Their talent is limited but they are able to overcome that by following the trends, chucking 3s and going small to defend the pnr.

Totally misleading to denigrate Butler’s performance by quoting his points and shooting. He made tons of clutch plays as he usually does. Anyone who watched the game knows that.
stormi
General Manager
And1: 7,653

Post#2690 » by stormi » Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:18 am

Heat have a bunch of players giving them near star impact. Jimmy, Dragic, Bam.

Herro and Crowder playing like high end starters spacing the floor, being a menace on orebs, ballhandling, defending

Robinson and DJJ contributing with length, spacing, shooting, defending, energy

Our depth pails aimlessly in comparison. And they still have Iguodala, Nunn, Olynyk (,Leonard) who've given them different looks when they needed it.

Would our starting playoff 1 Shake Milton even get into that rotation? Would Korkmaz or KOQ?

This team needs so so so much work
VDT
Analyst

Post#2691 » by VDT » Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:20 am

I only watched parts of the 4th quarter. If i am not mistaken he had one basket that he actually created plus another transition basket he got from a steal he made. The other points were fts i think.

He is not a dominant player. He hustles a lot and gets some savvy calls but the Heat can largely function as a team regardless of what he is doing.
AirP.
RealGM
And1: 28,177

Post#2692 » by AirP. » Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:04 am

VDT wrote:I only watched parts of the 4th quarter. If i am not mistaken he had one basket that he actually created plus another transition basket he got from a steal he made. The other points were fts i think.

He is not a dominant player. He hustles a lot and gets some savvy calls but the Heat can largely function as a team regardless of what he is doing.

It is weird that he leaves Chicago and they went from a playoff team to one of the worst teams in the league, he got Minnesota to the playoffs for the 1st time in nearly a decade and a half... and before he went down the last 6 weeks he had Minnesota in the 3rd seed in the West and then.. nowhere close to the playoffs. Philly, they took the eventual champs to 7 game, the next year... swept.

It's odd how he makes his teams so much better yet he's not a dominate player. Not many "non dominate" players able to put up 40 points in a half... Butler has. This season, when some sports reporters in Miami complained about him not scoring he put up 30 in the first half against Phoenix to prove a point then only shot 6 more times in the 2nd half.

By the way, Butler's doing this stuff in the 4th quarter in the Eastern Conference Finals...
Philly should be in the position Miami is in... all they had to do was not trade Butler and have Embiid ask him to stay.
Read on Twitter
Mik317
RealGM
And1: 17,621

Post#2693 » by Mik317 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:07 am

there is more to impacting a game than just points and statz
#NeverGonnaBeGood
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,495

Post#2694 » by dice » Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:14 am

Arsenal wrote:

the sixers offered him a max deal. they didn't "let" him go. nor did they choose tobias harris over him, as i've heard some pretend happened. he left for less money. and still hasn't fully explained why. he has insinuated issues w/ management. i suspect that he just wanted to be "the man" and run things his way. he found a tailor-made culture for him to do that and succeed
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,346

Post#2695 » by 76ciology » Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:47 am

Read on Twitter

Why is this move allowed? I’ve been seeing a lot of people using this. Including Ben.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Arsenal
RealGM

Post#2696 » by Arsenal » Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:10 am

dice wrote:
Arsenal wrote:

the sixers offered him a max deal. they didn't "let" him go. nor did they choose tobias harris over him, as i've heard some pretend happened. he left for less money. and still hasn't fully explained why. he has insinuated issues w/ management. i suspect that he just wanted to be "the man" and run things his way. he found a tailor-made culture for him to do that and succeed

100% front office apologist BS. They NEVER offered a five year MAX. They disrespected him with world class turds like Scott O’Neil asking if he could be “controlled”.
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,495

Post#2697 » by dice » Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:48 am

Arsenal wrote:
dice wrote:
Arsenal wrote:

100% front office apologist BS.

not a sixers fan. and certainly no fan of elton brand's continuation of colangelo's inept sabotage of "the process." nice try

They NEVER offered a five year MAX.

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/nba-insider-tom-haberstroh/sixers-smart-reload-tobias-harris-and-al-horford-after-losing-jimmy

unless there was some sort of gross insubordination on butler's part (which has not been hinted at by anyone), a person would have to be completely divorced from reality to think that elton brand would trade good assets for jimmy butler as a less than one season rental with no intention of maxing him out. because everybody and their professor knew that jimmy was looking for a max deal. it's why chicago traded him in the first place
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
stormi
General Manager
And1: 7,653

Post#2698 » by stormi » Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:58 am

76ciology wrote:
Read on Twitter

Why is this move allowed? I’ve been seeing a lot of people using this. Including Ben.

wdym "allowed". Tatum was called for a foul on that play
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,346

Post#2699 » by 76ciology » Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:03 am

stormi wrote:
76ciology wrote:
Read on Twitter

wdym "allowed". Tatum was called for a foul on that play

Yes and they should be consistent about that because players have been using this move and have been getting away with it
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
PhillyPhilly
Bench Warmer
And1: 522

Post#2700 » by PhillyPhilly » Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:56 am

AirP. wrote:
VDT wrote:I only watched parts of the 4th quarter. If i am not mistaken he had one basket that he actually created plus another transition basket he got from a steal he made. The other points were fts i think.

It is weird that he leaves Chicago and they went from a playoff team to one of the worst teams in the league, he got Minnesota to the playoffs for the 1st time in nearly a decade and a half... and before he went down the last 6 weeks he had Minnesota in the 3rd seed in the West and then.. nowhere close to the playoffs. Philly, they took the eventual champs to 7 game, the next year... swept.

It's odd how he makes his teams so much better yet he's not a dominate player. Not many "non dominate" players able to put up 40 points in a half... Butler has. This season, when some sports reporters in Miami complained about him not scoring he put up 30 in the first half against Phoenix to prove a point then only shot 6 more times in the 2nd half.

By the way, Butler's doing this stuff in the 4th quarter in the Eastern Conference Finals...
Philly should be in the position Miami is in... all they had to do was not trade Butler and have Embiid ask him to stay.
Read on Twitter

Lol at leaving out the FACT that Ben Simmons WAS OUT INJURED!!..smh. We beat the Celtics 3-1 without Butler in the regular season...so if you're gonna present an argument at least put all the facts on the table.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers