ImageImageImage

Around the League - 2019-2020

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,524

Re: Around the League - 2019-2020 

Post#2841 » by 76ciology » Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:16 pm

Bum Adebayo wrote:I remember two years ago, when we played against Miami in 1st round, some fans here laughed at their culture, implying they were stuck in mediocrity while we had the bright future. I remember those times, funny how things change in only two years.

“Longest view in the room”
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#2842 » by 76ciology » Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:21 pm

Sixersftw wrote:I really want Buckets to win. I hope Harris and Brand never stop hearing questions about James Butler.

the ideal outcome is this would motivate Ben. Jimmy was the non-shooter (average shot distance of 10ft) we need to pair with Biid.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,798

Post#2843 » by Negrodamus » Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:49 pm

Bum Adebayo wrote:I remember two years ago, when we played against Miami in 1st round, some fans here laughed at their culture, implying they were stuck in mediocrity while we had the bright future. I remember those times, funny how things change in only two years.

Also remember when the Miami Heat 1st round pick was so coveted because of HS recruits being eligible and their downward trajectory? Strangely, it still feels like an overpayment for the Tobias Harris experience.
Sixersftw
RealGM
And1: 8,753

Post#2844 » by Sixersftw » Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:09 pm

I don't think anyone assumed we would give them the tool they needed to get out of mediocrity.

I will say, if we brought someone in over Elton, that would give me hope that we can turn this thing around. The last two eastern representatives and at least one champion were mired in far worse mediocrity than us.
They say an analytics man doesn't have a heart, but I ran the numbers and nothing can be further from the truth - Sam Hinkie probably
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,720

Post#2845 » by the_process » Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:51 pm

76ciology wrote:

Ownership is most important aspect of organizational success. And Harris/Blitzer have proven to be bottom 5 owners. Just abysmal.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#2846 » by 76ciology » Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:27 pm

the_process wrote:
76ciology wrote:

Ownership is most important aspect of organizational success. And Harris/Blitzer have proven to be bottom 5 owners. Just abysmal.

Maybe.

“Less certainty, more inquiry”
76ciology
RealGM

Post#2847 » by 76ciology » Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:14 pm

Read on Twitter
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,693

Post#2848 » by rzzzzz » Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:16 pm

Sixersftw wrote:
Bum Adebayo wrote:I don't think anyone assumed we would give them the tool they needed to get out of mediocrity.

I will say, if we brought someone in over Elton, that would give me hope that we can turn this thing around. The last two eastern representatives and at least one champion were mired in far worse mediocrity than us.

keeping Brett and letting Jimmy walk...was that Elton's idea? somehow I think that came from ownership.
stormi
General Manager
And1: 7,684

Post#2849 » by stormi » Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:30 pm

Brett talk
Jimmy mourning
Brand disdain
Harris repulsion
Colangelo disgust
Fultz confusion
Hinkie mourning

and repeat
stormi
General Manager

Post#2850 » by stormi » Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:32 pm

Why does Ainge going after CP3 make sense
Sixersftw
RealGM
And1: 8,753

Post#2851 » by Sixersftw » Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:16 pm

rzzzzz wrote:
Sixersftw wrote:
Bum Adebayo wrote:I don't think anyone assumed we would give them the tool they needed to get out of mediocrity.

keeping Brett and letting Jimmy walk...was that Elton's idea? somehow I think that came from ownership.

I didn't say that. I think we should bring someone over Elton to turn things around, as he is very inexperienced. Those changes came from a collective decision w/ ownership getting the lionshare of the blame.
They say an analytics man doesn't have a heart, but I ran the numbers and nothing can be further from the truth - Sam Hinkie probably
76ciology
RealGM

Post#2852 » by 76ciology » Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:19 pm

It was Ben over Jimmy, not Brett.

3-5 years from now, when Ben is hitting 3s, it may be a genius decision.
stormi
General Manager

Post#2853 » by stormi » Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:34 pm

Still agenda pushing lol
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant

Post#2854 » by rzzzzz » Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:42 pm

76ciology wrote:It was Ben over Jimmy, not Brett.

fwiw, Jimmy told JJ on the pod that if he was Ben he would be steaming about putting the rock in Jimmy's hands, after Ben was pushing it the whole year. right after saying he was mystified by the lack of discussion and changes after watching the tapes. and he admits that he finally had to speak up about the players' frustration on not running PnRs, dragging TJ into the discussion. i'm guessing this is when Joel finally spoke up. i'm surprised Jimmy was willing to come back for the max contract, considering how poorly the roster was being handled. though i think he evaluated the talent potential of the roster as being good. obviously, though, he made the right choice after hearing about the suggestion that he needed to be "controlled".

we'll never know just how good that roster that Elton put together could have been with the right guy deploying it. but every Sixer fan is now hoping that the next coach will be the one to unleash the potential of our two unicorns.
Phila Tough
Head Coach
And1: 2,859

Post#2855 » by Phila Tough » Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:38 pm

I still don't see the heat as being some elite team that will rule the east. They were the 5th seed who played tough and capitalized on a great opportunity. Jimmy played good, but it's not like he was on Kawhi 2019 playoffs level. And he had plenty help. Hero dropped 37 in a game and they barely squeaked by in that game. There's a reason Lakers are heavy favorites. Heat aren't that good.
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,133

Post#2856 » by Arsenal » Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:48 pm

rzzzzz wrote:

fwiw, Jimmy told JJ on the pod that if he was Ben he would be steaming about putting the rock in Jimmy's hands, after Ben was pushing it the whole year. right after saying he was mystified by the lack of discussion and changes after watching the tapes. and he admits that he finally had to speak up about the players' frustration on not running PnRs, dragging TJ into the discussion. i'm guessing this is when Joel finally spoke up. i'm surprised Jimmy was willing to come back for the max contract, considering how poorly the roster was being handled. though i think he evaluated the talent potential of the roster as being good. obviously, though, he made the right choice after hearing about the suggestion that he needed to be "controlled".

we'll never know just how good that roster that Elton put together could have been with the right guy deploying it. but every Sixer fan is now hoping that the next coach will be the one to unleash the potential of our two unicorns.

At the end of the day, are you going to bet your basketball future on:

A) Joshua Harris, or
B) Pat Riley

Easiest decision in the world for Jimmy Butler.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,720

Post#2857 » by the_process » Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:09 am

I'm betting heavily against Ben shooting 3's with any regularity at this point. 2x All Star and now All NBA. He has lots of things to point to and say "this is working as is, I'm the man and everyone has to adjust for me." And he certainly seems like the type who would think that way as well.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#2858 » by 76ciology » Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:08 am

rzzzzz wrote:

Jimmy was not throwing anyone under the bus, and it is clearly shown by dragging TJ.

When Jimmy finally had the ball and got his request (Raps series), Ben ended up at the dunker spot. Ben couldnt even be a roll man because defense can easily switch the Butler-Ben PnR. Ben at the dunker spot is not good for his branding. This guy believes he is the next LeBron and Magic. No star guard, including Jimmy, want to be reduced into a spot up shooter or a dunker.

Last, report by chris haynes had it that Ben had issues when Jimmy commented on how Ben should play.

Like seriously, do you think Butler would want to play Roco’s role for the most of the game (he blatantly passed up open corner 3s) then just turn into Jimmy Buckets at crunch time? In an ideal world, I want it that way but Jimmy is a guy who thinks he should be playing point guard when he was playing along side league MVP Derrick Rose. While Ben wouldnt want to be a 6’9” version of DeAndre Jordan.

Just think about it.
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant

Post#2859 » by rzzzzz » Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:11 pm

76ciology wrote: Jimmy is a guy who thinks he should be playing point guard when he was playing along side league MVP Derrick Rose. While Ben wouldnt want to be a 6’9” version of DeAndre Jordan.
Just think about it.

I just watch what Jimmy has done since he left Philly. totally a team player. encouraging/supporting all that young talent. he wants his team mates to play hard, and he wants to win. i don't see him distorting/hurting the team by demanding that he play point guard, or initiate all the action. he thoroughly buys into Riley's culture and Spo's coaching.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#2860 » by 76ciology » Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:19 pm

rzzzzz wrote:
76ciology wrote: Jimmy is a guy who thinks he should be playing point guard when he was playing along side league MVP Derrick Rose. While Ben wouldnt want to be a 6’9” version of DeAndre Jordan.
Just think about it.

I just watch what Jimmy has done since he left Philly. totally a team player. encouraging/supporting all that young talent. he wants his team mates to play hard, and he wants to win. i don't see him distorting/hurting the team by demanding that he play point guard, or initiate all the action. he thoroughly buys into Riley's culture and Spo's coaching.

I dont live in Philly. I live probably in the biggest basketball country in the world, so I watch a lot of non-sixers games.

So.. “I also watch Jimmy has done since he left Philly”. Aside from what you said he wants, he doesnt want to play 3&D wing for most of the game (he’s a bad 3pt shooter). It’s also been reported (i think by Doris Burke) how he usually plays passive on a new team then would want more role and the game to play his way. And if he has the ball in his hands, who’s the odd man out? Biid spacing the floor like Brook Lopez or Ben at the dunker spot like DeAndre Jordan?

It’s not just me that thinks we chose Ben over Butler and Butler staying means Ben will have decreased ball time. Ben wouldn’t want that. And unlike Steph Curry, who can play off ball by spacing the floor, Ben can’t do that. While it’s been reported also that Brett is totally committed in playing Ben at PG.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers