RealGM
And1: 8,665

Re: Around the League - 2019-2020 

Post#2941 » by the_process » Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:45 pm

76ciology wrote:
the_process wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:
Read on Twitter

As Jimmy pushes this to game 6, this clip should be all that you consider for why he didn't return. It's not Ben, not Joel, probably not even Brett (although I do think they had issues), it's the front office.

Because the reason they asked if Jimmy “could be controlled” was on behalf of Brett.

Btw what does “control Jimmy” mean?

Like him not asking a bigger role on offense? like when he asked for it during one of our video review session with the team?

My interpretation would be not challenging Brett.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,296

Post#2942 » by 76ciology » Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:47 pm

the_process wrote:I do think that if this is the put up or shut up season. If they underachieve again; I imagine the Sixers will probably break up the band, so to speak.

Sixers will break up or one of Biid or Ben will ask to be traded.

That report of Biid not wanting a headcoach connected to Ben speaks a lot of volume.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#2943 » by 76ciology » Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:54 pm

the_process wrote:
76ciology wrote:
the_process wrote:
Because the reason they asked if Jimmy “could be controlled” was on behalf of Brett.

Btw what does “control Jimmy” mean?

Like him not asking a bigger role on offense? like when he asked for it during one of our video review session with the team?

My interpretation would be not challenging Brett.

Read on Twitter

And to continue.. jimmy said Ben’s mental toughness is not at par with him and Biid (zach Harper; sept 30@The Athletic)
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,665

Post#2944 » by the_process » Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:54 pm

Negrodamus wrote:
the_process wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:
Read on Twitter

As Jimmy pushes this to game 6, this clip should be all that you consider for why he didn't return. It's not Ben, not Joel, probably not even Brett (although I do think they had issues), it's the front office.

Even if Brett asked that, the messaging of controlling a grown man should not make its way to Jimmy. I'm no fan of Brett (the coach), but the process of the FO is also to manage personalities and make it work.

I agree with that. And that’s one of the reasons you don’t hire a inexperienced guy like Elton to run the FO of a contender. And the fact they had a development coach and a noob GM on a team with title aspirations speaks volumes to failings of Harris/Blitzer.
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,664

Post#2945 » by rzzzzz » Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:57 pm

76ciology wrote:Sixers will break up or one of Biid or Ben will ask to be traded.

If Doc can't move the needle, then yes, it proves a roster problem rather then a coaching problem. but moving Brett before getting rid of huge potential was the right move.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#2946 » by 76ciology » Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:19 pm

rzzzzz wrote:
76ciology wrote:Sixers will break up or one of Biid or Ben will ask to be traded.

If Doc can't move the needle, then yes, it proves a roster problem rather then a coaching problem. but moving Brett before getting rid of huge potential was the right move.

As you age as an NBA fan, you realize that thinking in abundance always is more favorable than thinking in scarcity. There’s an abundance of talent out there for you to keep stubbornly hope.

*this also applies to relationships :lol:
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,642

Post#2947 » by Negrodamus » Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:46 am

Man, Lakers are obliterating the Heat right now. Jeez.
GoSixersBro
Head Coach
And1: 2,468

Post#2948 » by GoSixersBro » Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:47 am

Lol Bam. Haven’t seen a player with as bad of hands since Slammin’ Sammy Dalembert. Heat fans were legitimately saying he was as good as Embiid before the lockout.
Here Lies The Process
May 13, 2013 - April 6, 2016
Negrodamus
RealGM

Post#2949 » by Negrodamus » Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:55 am

GoSixersBro wrote:Lol Bam. Haven’t seen a player with as bad of hands since Slammin’ Sammy Dalembert. Heat fans were legitimately saying he was as good as Embiid before the lockout.

The funny thing is the way they're playing him is exactly what would allow Embiid to feast. They are giving him space to shoot and a lane to drive and he's passing it off. Obviously the Lakers would play him differently, but Embiid has infinitely a more dynamic offensive skillset than Bam.
GoSixersBro
Head Coach
And1: 2,468

Post#2950 » by GoSixersBro » Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:08 am

Negrodamus wrote:
GoSixersBro wrote:Lol Bam. Haven’t seen a player with as bad of hands since Slammin’ Sammy Dalembert. Heat fans were legitimately saying he was as good as Embiid before the lockout.

The funny thing is the way they're playing him is exactly what would allow Embiid to feast. They are giving him space to shoot and a lane to drive and he's passing it off. Obviously the Lakers would play him differently, but Embiid has infinitely a more dynamic offensive skillset than Bam.

Exactly. Dude gets on an All Star team and suddenly he’s in top 5 big men convo? Zero superstar potential.
Here Lies The Process
May 13, 2013 - April 6, 2016
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,664

Post#2951 » by rzzzzz » Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:12 am

wow, if this is how Anthony Davis plays when he's hurt...

76ciology wrote:
As you age as an NBA fan, you realize that thinking in abundance always is more favorable than thinking in scarcity. There’s an abundance of talent out there for you to keep stubbornly hope.

yep. there's 2nd acts, too.
Mik317
RealGM
And1: 17,576

Post#2952 » by Mik317 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:11 am

so uh...Kobble

I thought the Lakers had no chance due to not having any shot creators?

wha happun
#NeverGonnaBeGood
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,096

Post#2953 » by Arsenal » Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:12 am

Mik317 wrote:so uh...Kobble

I thought the Lakers had no chance due to not having any shot creators?

wha happun

Imagine thinking LeBron James is not a shot creator.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,729

Post#2954 » by Stanford » Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:14 am

Kobblehead wrote:
Stanford wrote:Let's say the Lakers win the title; what do you think would have happened? How'd they do it?

Injuries are always a possibility.

Other than that, I wouldn't have any other predictive answers.

So it was injuries then?
Aussiepiston1
Bench Warmer
And1: 278

Post#2955 » by Aussiepiston1 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:33 am

Anyone thinking Lakers weren’t going to win this years championship especially in this bubble environment was kidding themselves.
I was hoping it would have been us against them but Simmons was out and we had the worst coach in the league lol
Negrodamus
RealGM

Post#2956 » by Negrodamus » Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:46 am

I figured LeBron was going to dial in after last game and win this game, but I wasn't expecting them to absolutely throttle the Heat.

When LeBron is dialed in during the playoffs, he's absurd.
Phila Tough
Head Coach
And1: 2,809

Post#2957 » by Phila Tough » Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:38 am

Everyone is criticizing Philly for letting butler go and rightfully so, but when is Jimmy going to take some flack for putting his ego over winning a championship? I think many would agree that if the team returned last year, Sixers would have been the favorites to win the east at the very least and a serious title contender. He's 31 years old I believe and while the Heat are a good team, they aren't clearly better than the Celtics, Bucks, Nets, heck even us when we're healthy or the raps.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#2958 » by 76ciology » Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:03 am

rzzzzz wrote:wow, if this is how Anthony Davis plays when he's hurt...

76ciology wrote:

yep. there's 2nd acts, too.

Yup but look at where the Pels are right now.

Im not in favor of breaking up this team. But if you stay open minded, there’s a real good possibility that we can have a better duo than Embiid and Simmons if we trade them or do a rebuild.

When the resource is abundant (think of bull market in stocks) when dealing with underperforming stocks, you have to hold less and cut/shift more.

Thats the issue with our team building. We’re supposed to get assets from the draft. But we failed to look at Biid and Ben as assets. It’s different from how the Lakers built their team. Could Sixers trade Embiid to Pels for AD and Ben to Cavs for LeBron? It’s likely yes. But another thing is will they stay? But who knows..
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,348

Post#2959 » by Eyeamok » Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:28 am

Negrodamus wrote:
Read on Twitter

But you notice no one answered the question of if he is hard to work with. An indication that he is.
The Accession of Paul Reed is upon us !

You want it to be one way....but it's the other way.

Marlo
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,348

Post#2960 » by Eyeamok » Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:34 am

Eyeamok wrote:
76ciology wrote:
Eyeamok wrote:
True. But if we kept Jimmy and Ben what role would Ben play? I recall someone posted a video of the last few plays of the Raptors triple bounce game. Ben basically was just there, just a 5th man on the floor. Would he have played the point for the first 3 quarters then hand the ball over to jimmy in the 4th? Coach Brown had a hard time getting Ben and Embiid to play together how was he going to get the most out of the 3 of them playing in crunch time without egos being extremely bruised?

Actually i think Brown’s plan is what you just mentioned. Let Ben play point for the first 3 quarters then let Jimmy take over in the fourth. It’s sort of how you see Wade-Bron or PG-Kawhi where both guys would take turn in being primary perimeter playmaker.

Ego aside, the best way to do it is let Ben run the offense with Butler conserving his energy for the 4th quarter. Then on crunch time, you let Butler run the offense where Ben can focus on playing defense.

This is what we’ve done for the most part until the Raps series. And Ive posted here how clunky it is and how you can make it tough to work when opponents can play a big SF like Raps and Bucks can.

Agree with everything you said including Biid-Ben is already tough to fit then its harder to add Butler in the equation.

A part of me goes philosophical and thinks this is probably why most superteams are consolidated into one team after a star has an awakening that he can’t do it alone. Like KG, Bron, Wade and so forth. The problem is, Butler is a different type of player while Ben still thinks he is larger than life.

It’s also quite ironic when Jimmy Butler said how some of our team (yes, our team) are not playing for the championship but for fame and fortune. I mean.. why is he not willing to sacrifice his game to fit with Ben then?

No matter what era you play in, You can’t have two guys who are not good shooters or won’t shoot that also want to play point guard on the court at the same time.

Anyway, whether you guys agree with me or not. we can all agree that Ben has to improve on offense.

Next season, no excuses. No more blaming on Brett or with the roster. He better be a better offensive player or I can see him on the trading block heading for 2021-2022 season.

I’m not saying he has to pay. I wish him well (like everyone on this team). But I hope seeing Butler in the finals would drive him into a better player.

Who knows what motivates Ben, he has fame and a fat new contract all without learning how to shoot as a basketball player. Which is his primary mode of income. How crazy is that! It's just disappointing to see how little he has developed, the one area of his game, that has been pinpointed season after season as his most pressing weakness.

I would like to think that Ben would rise to the challenge after seeing Jimmy having such a great finals run. But he is probably not even watching the games.

I have it on good authority that Ben watched the game tonight and saw the stat line Jimmy put up and said "if the fans want me to play more like Jimmt, this stat line I can duplicate".
The Accession of Paul Reed is upon us !

You want it to be one way....but it's the other way.

Marlo

Return to Philadelphia 76ers