Brett Brown needs to go why?

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

nurseryc
Analyst
And1: 1,236

Brett Brown needs to go why? 

Post#1 » by nurseryc » Fri Nov 8, 2019 12:28 pm

We all think it, I’ll say it...

Yes Embiid is our best player, beyond that, coach needs to demand Simmons shoots, if he doesn’t then bench him. Simmons lies, he said if I’m open I’ll shoot, he has been open in multiple games, if I’m wrong prove me wrong?
XDevilBoiX
Head Coach
And1: 2,481

Re: Brett Brown needs to go why? 

Post#2 » by XDevilBoiX » Fri Nov 8, 2019 12:50 pm

Brett is a players coach, he will never bench anyone. Only way for a player to get bench is if they are playing themselves to the bench.
PhillyPhilly
Bench Warmer
And1: 522

Post#3 » by PhillyPhilly » Fri Nov 8, 2019 1:06 pm

Brett is one of the biggest reasons why Ben hasn't managed to develop his game. This will be the last season for both of them If we fail to reach the finals this year imo.
eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 11,220

Post#4 » by eyeatoma » Fri Nov 8, 2019 1:13 pm

PhillyPhilly wrote:Brett is one of the biggest reasons why Ben hasn't managed to develop his game. This will be the last season for both of them If we fail to reach the finals this year imo.

I tell you one thing, unless Simmons starts shooting, I think it all comes to a head and Embiid publicly lambasts him for being a coward.
nurseryc
Analyst

Post#5 » by nurseryc » Fri Nov 8, 2019 1:16 pm

eyeatoma wrote:
PhillyPhilly wrote:Brett is one of the biggest reasons why Ben hasn't managed to develop his game. This will be the last season for both of them If we fail to reach the finals this year imo.

I tell you one thing, unless Simmons starts shooting, I think it all comes to a head and Embiid publicly lambasts him for being a coward.

Eyeatoma, if you were coach and Simmons refused to shoot, what would you do?
eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 11,220

Post#6 » by eyeatoma » Fri Nov 8, 2019 1:29 pm

nurseryc wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:

Probably something similar. But I wouldn't have waited this long. I would probably have given him a month from his rookie debut and told him he needs to take 8 shots a game (2 per quarter - one of them needs to be a 3 - so 4 3's a game). I also would have told him to switch his hands. If he didn't I would have benched him. Benching a rookie is very different than benching an all-star. His ego would have probably been hurt a bit, but not the same as if it happened now. If he's benched now, it becomes a massive spectacle. i also don't think it'll ever happen give that this team has championship aspirations, and benching him will only cause a mood of negativity and a media spectacle.
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,445

Post#7 » by Eyeamok » Fri Nov 8, 2019 2:27 pm

Coach Brown can't do crap. He has to rely on the goodwill of Ben to shoot. You can't alienate the guy the 76ers just gave a ton of money too. Not without a new contract at least. And with all the issues of load management. How are you going to bench a star in the NBA. the Realgm posters might be happy but the paying public and Adam Silver will say. NO BUENO !!!
The Accession of Paul Reed is upon us !

You want it to be one way....but it's the other way.

Marlo
Bum Adebayo
General Manager
And1: 4,009

Post#8 » by Bum Adebayo » Fri Nov 8, 2019 2:28 pm

There is nothing to prove, you only have to watch games. Brett has coddled Simmons his entire career, this has prevented Simmons to take the next step. He could be the best player in the league with his talent, but won't happen anytime soon if Brett is our coach.
We are hearing how hard it would be to find the right package for Simmons, fine, then I guess it is much easier to fire this terrible coach right?
Great takes since 2024-04-20
nurseryc
Analyst

Post#9 » by nurseryc » Fri Nov 8, 2019 2:30 pm

eyeatoma wrote:
nurseryc wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:

Probably something similar. But I wouldn't have waited this long. I would probably have given him a month from his rookie debut and told him he needs to take 8 shots a game (2 per quarter - one of them needs to be a 3 - so 4 3's a game). I also would have told him to switch his hands. If he didn't I would have benched him. Benching a rookie is very different than benching an all-star. His ego would have probably been hurt a bit, but not the same as if it happened now. If he's benched now, it becomes a massive spectacle. i also don't think it'll ever happen give that this team has championship aspirations, and benching him will only cause a mood of negativity and a media spectacle.

Agree. Need a new coach. Simmons game hasn’t developed in 4, yes 4 yrs. we need a new freaken coach
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,473

Post#10 » by youngcrev » Fri Nov 8, 2019 2:35 pm

He doesn't. He's a good coach.
MVP1992
Rookie
And1: 548

Post#11 » by MVP1992 » Fri Nov 8, 2019 2:52 pm

Trade as a player coach duo package.

Ben + Brown for?
Mr. Biden shot back: “You’ve got more questions? Well, I tell you what, if you have a problem figuring out whether you’re for me or Trump, then you ain’t Black.”
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,693

Post#12 » by rzzzzz » Fri Nov 8, 2019 3:04 pm

Elton had two paths to pick from this summer, and he chose to reassemble a roster around Brett. BUT Brett only gets this next year to finally prove himself. Win or come close to a title, or demonstrate some significant development with Ben and other talent, and he'll stay on. Otherwise, it's much more constructive to hire a new coach than strip down trades.
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,473

Post#13 » by youngcrev » Fri Nov 8, 2019 3:26 pm

rzzzzz wrote:Elton had two paths to pick from this summer, and he chose to reassemble a roster around Brett. BUT Brett only gets this next year to finally prove himself. Win or come close to a title, or demonstrate some significant development with Ben and other talent, and he'll stay on. Otherwise, it's much more constructive to hire a new coach than strip down trades.

You think this roster is built around what Brett likes to run? I feel like his preference would be a lot more shooting than this. Dribble hand offs, moving the ball around the perimeter, lots of motion. This is more of a clunky, post you up, bully you team.

The roster build to me feels like they saw what a size advantage could do for them in a playoff series and just doubled down on it.

Agreed that Brett probably goes down with the ship if the team disappoints in the playoffs though. Anything less than a very competitive series in the ECF and he's probably gone. Might even take a finals appearance.
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,829

Post#14 » by Negrodamus » Fri Nov 8, 2019 5:36 pm

The problem with everything pertaining to this team, post Hinkie, is that it takes too long to diagnose the problem. We're committed to the Simmons-Embiid duo moving forward. We draft players like Zhaire Smith and Matisse Thybulle because they are complimentary defensive players. We surround them with very good off ball players like Harris and Richardson.

Then when Ben fails to become the offensive creator we hoped he would be, the whole plan seems kinda poorly thought out.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,554

Post#15 » by 76ciology » Fri Nov 8, 2019 5:41 pm

Yeah he needs to go to Denver because that is where the next game will be
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
VDT
Analyst
And1: 2,106

Post#16 » by VDT » Fri Nov 8, 2019 6:08 pm

Brown hasn't been bad. Well above average in team chemistry and having the team play hard during the tank and still won quite a lot in the last years despite the ill- fitted pieces of this team. If anything he's been quite flexible having two star players that are nota good fit for the system he would like to run.

In the end if the Sixers fail to win a title it will be more because of the bad fit between their stars or because their stars underperform or because of the FO moves than because of Brown's ineptitude.
Negrodamus
RealGM

Post#17 » by Negrodamus » Fri Nov 8, 2019 6:17 pm

VDT wrote:Brown hasn't been bad. Well above average in team chemistry and having the team play hard during the tank and still won quite a lot in the last years despite the ill- fitted pieces of this team. If anything he's been quite flexible having two star players that are nota good fit for the system he would like to run.

In the end if the Sixers fail to win a title it will be more because of the bad fit between their stars or because their stars underperform or because of the FO moves than because of Brown's ineptitude.

I do think Brown should get some of the blame, especially for the commitment to Ben Simmons as the point guard since he walked through the door. He should be Draymond Green's role at most on offense.
VDT
Analyst
And1: 2,106

Post#18 » by VDT » Fri Nov 8, 2019 6:46 pm

Negrodamus wrote:
VDT wrote:Brown hasn't been bad. Well above average in team chemistry and having the team play hard during the tank and still won quite a lot in the last years despite the ill- fitted pieces of this team. If anything he's been quite flexible having two star players that are nota good fit for the system he would like to run.

I do think Brown should get some of the blame, especially for the commitment to Ben Simmons as the point guard since he walked through the door. He should be Draymond Green's role at most on offense.

Yes, but giving him the ball is the only way to make him a star, the same way that Giannis went from a roleplayer to mvp when he was given the ball to create. As the first overall pick, the team and the coach would (and should) not accept that he is a roleplayer. Brown playing him as pg gave him him the best opportunity to become a star and justify his draft position. I cant really fault him for that, if he hadnt done that people would be complaining much more.
Negrodamus
RealGM

Post#19 » by Negrodamus » Fri Nov 8, 2019 7:07 pm

VDT wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:

Yes, but giving him the ball is the only way to make him a star, the same way that Giannis went from a roleplayer to mvp when he was given the ball to create. As the first overall pick, the team and the coach would (and should) not accept that he is a roleplayer. Brown playing him as pg gave him him the best opportunity to become a star and justify his draft position. I cant really fault him for that, if he hadnt done that people would be complaining much more.

Right, but Giannis could be projected as at least a threat to shoot a three. He is also taller and longer than Ben.

Ben in college shot three 3 pointers (if my memory serves me) and would only finish with his right hand. There were plenty of red flags coming into the league, especially as the de facto point guard. If he wanted to be point guard, he should have had to earn it by showing any progression as a shooter.
NoDopeOnSundays
RealGM
And1: 41,335

Post#20 » by NoDopeOnSundays » Fri Nov 8, 2019 7:24 pm

His flat out refusal to run some PnR from top of the key is one of the reasons I'd fire him, and it's probably why Butler didn't want to stay.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using RealGM mobile app

Return to Philadelphia 76ers