ImageImageImage

Game 8: Sixers @ Nuggets - 9:00pm

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,728

Re: Game 8: Sixers @ Nuggets - 9:00pm 

Post#361 » by the_process » Sat Nov 9, 2019 5:21 pm

phillynative wrote:I dont see where it was a ben vs jimmy thing. I thought it was more jimmy vs tobi.

If they had re-signed Jimmy, Tobias would’ve been allowed to walk.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,558

Post#362 » by 76ciology » Sat Nov 9, 2019 5:44 pm

phillynative wrote:I dont see where it was a ben vs jimmy thing. I thought it was more jimmy vs tobi.

You think Ben want to be the 6’9 DeAndre Jordan camping in the paint while Butler and Biid runs PnR?
blargh
Pro Prospect
And1: 582

Post#363 » by blargh » Sat Nov 9, 2019 6:18 pm

I’m not loving these sets that BB is experimenting with the last two games where Horford posts and Embiid is stretching the floor in the corner. That was the root of a big chunk of our fourth quarter collapse. I thought Brown had Embiid and Al playing pretty well together at the start of the season, with the roles reversed. I don’t always love when Embiid iso’s at the top of the 3 pt line, but if there’s any time to do it, it’s against a guy like Jokic.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,558

Post#364 » by 76ciology » Sat Nov 9, 2019 6:25 pm

blargh wrote:I’m not loving these sets that BB is experimenting with the last two games where Horford posts and Embiid is stretching the floor in the corner. That was the root of a big chunk of our fourth quarter collapse. I thought Brown had Embiid and Al playing pretty well together at the start of the season, with the roles reversed. I don’t always love when Embiid iso’s at the top of the 3 pt line, but if there’s any time to do it, it’s against a guy like Jokic.

Its ok. We need to attack the mismatch. You can also add how many possessions we had Tobi on Gary Harris but Tobi failed to capitalize.

Its ok. Because we need them to be more used to how were going to beat teams in the “match-up heavy”
playoffs.

The reason we have lost in the last two games is our over reliance on Biid. And in the last two years Biid was unreliable and struggled against bigs who can slow him down
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Bum Adebayo
General Manager
And1: 4,009

Post#365 » by Bum Adebayo » Sat Nov 9, 2019 7:23 pm

youngcrev wrote:
Bum Adebayo wrote:lol give me a break with "ancillary bigman" BS. I already explained that you can build around a traditional bigman, the idea that you can only build around perimeter offense is BS. What happens is Embiid is not good enough on offense, that's it. His scoring averages and TS% are inflated due to him drawing fouls at a very high rate, but his offensive game when he can't bully ball or when he is not good at recognizing double teams is just fairly mediocre.

Because getting to the line and putting opposing centers in foul trouble is a bad thing? That's like saying Steph Curry's TS% is inflated by all those 3 point shots he takes. Yeah... and?

What I mean is in a playoff setting and against smart teams with the right personnel, the drawing fouls stuff is not reliable. with inflated I was relating it to being able to translate this good efficiency to these situations. Of course being able to draw fouls is a good skill to have, just that we kave to keep in mind where his great offensive efficiency comes from and when it doesnt work.
Great takes since 2024-04-20
NoDopeOnSundays
RealGM
And1: 41,339

Post#366 » by NoDopeOnSundays » Sat Nov 9, 2019 7:35 pm

VDT wrote:
youngcrev wrote:
Bum Adebayo wrote:lol give me a break with "ancillary bigman" BS. I already explained that you can build around a traditional bigman, the idea that you can only build around perimeter offense is BS. What happens is Embiid is not good enough on offense, that's it. His scoring averages and TS% are inflated due to him drawing fouls at a very high rate, but his offensive game when he can't bully ball or when he is not good at recognizing double teams is just fairly mediocre.

Because getting to the line and putting opposing centers in foul trouble is a bad thing? That's like saying Steph Curry's TS% is inflated by all those 3 point shots he takes. Yeah... and?

He is not wrong though that Embiid is at his best when he can dominate his opponent physically. Trying to blow by the defender might work 1v1 but in a team setting he is going to turn it over a lot. My hot take is that he should stop training with Hanlen. Him trying to iso from the three point line is absurd at his size.

Instead he desperately needs to improve his hook shot and have this as his go to move. He also needs to make his move faster.

Still it is very early, i would wait at least 20-30 games in order to get a clear picture if this team. It's not like the other contenders are killing it.

He definitely has to stop working with Hanlen, he had a developing jump hook in college that he almost never uses now. He clearly has issues scoring against these European centers because he's always trying to overpower them and draw fouls rather than using his skill and length. Jokic barely gets 10" off the ground yet I can't remember anyone blocking his little hook shot, Embiid needs that in his arsenal and it would be something he can chain moves and counters off of.
Black Mage
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,580

Post#367 » by Black Mage » Sat Nov 9, 2019 8:10 pm

I know this is early in the season and Brett rarely gets his team together until about mid to late December, but I'm having this awful feeling watching the team that they seem to play better with one of Embiid or Simmons off the court. Last night was the crazy time when team played better with both off.
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,473

Post#368 » by youngcrev » Sat Nov 9, 2019 10:48 pm

Read on Twitter

:evil:
Black Mage
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,580

Post#369 » by Black Mage » Sat Nov 9, 2019 11:15 pm

youngcrev wrote:
Read on Twitter

19 or so point lead to start the 4th shouldn't come down to a last second blown call.
youngcrev
RealGM

Post#370 » by youngcrev » Sat Nov 9, 2019 11:18 pm

Black Mage wrote:
youngcrev wrote:
Read on Twitter

19 or so point lead to start the 4th shouldn't come down to a last second blown call.

Absolutely... but it did.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,107

Post#371 » by Kobblehead » Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:08 am

That's one of the bad things that can happen when you dump the ball down to the post to attempt to score in the halfcourt on possessions that matter. You run the risk of turning it over to the helpside defenders sticking their hands in on the play. You run the risk of getting called for an offensive foul. In the very best scenario you're still taking a highly contested field goal attempt. Long story short, don't attempt to score in the post in the halfcourt in crunchtime. The success probability is like 0 percent.

Put the ball in the hands of a ballhandler that can score from multiple levels. Any team that has any hope of actually winning a championship does this.
DaSixers
Pro Prospect
And1: 227

Post#372 » by DaSixers » Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:30 am

^ agreed. We built the wrong way.
AI_Efficiency
Sixth Man
And1: 722

Post#373 » by AI_Efficiency » Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:32 am

Kobblehead wrote:That's one of the bad things that can happen when you dump the ball down to the post to attempt to score in the halfcourt on possessions that matter. You run the risk of turning it over to the helpside defenders sticking their hands in on the play. You run the risk of getting called for an offensive foul. In the very best scenario you're still taking a highly contested field goal attempt. Long story short, don't attempt to score in the post in the halfcourt in crunchtime. The success probability is like 0 percent.

Put the ball in the hands of a ballhandler that can score from multiple levels. Any team that has any hope of actually winning a championship does this.

Embiid’s true shooting is high so far, but generally embiid post ups have not been high point per possession plays. Maybe it’s fine to sprinkle some in early to try and get the other team’s center in foul trouble, but I agree it’s bad to run our offense through him generally. The team would be better constructed with embiid using most of his energy in defense and having the offense go through someone that can create on offense.
VDT
Analyst
And1: 2,106

Post#374 » by VDT » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:10 am

Kobblehead wrote:That's one of the bad things that can happen when you dump the ball down to the post to attempt to score in the halfcourt on possessions that matter. You run the risk of turning it over to the helpside defenders sticking their hands in on the play. You run the risk of getting called for an offensive foul. In the very best scenario you're still taking a highly contested field goal attempt. Long story short, don't attempt to score in the post in the halfcourt in crunchtime. The success probability is like 0 percent.

Which players in the league fit that mold and which of them could do that at a championship level?
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,510

Post#375 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:37 pm

Agreed, and this is why I was all about us trying to acquire D'Angelo Russell this past summer. I thought he was a perfect fit between Simmons and Embiid.
youngcrev
RealGM

Post#376 » by youngcrev » Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:13 pm

ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:

Agreed, and this is why I was all about us trying to acquire D'Angelo Russell this past summer. I thought he was a perfect fit between Simmons and Embiid.

Could probably still get him
Bum Adebayo
General Manager

Post#377 » by Bum Adebayo » Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:51 pm

Not an issue with post play, but with Embiid's ability to score. He is not polished enough.
youngcrev
RealGM

Post#378 » by youngcrev » Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:06 pm

Bum Adebayo wrote:Not an issue with post play, but with Embiid's ability to score. He is not polished enough.

In terms of what? Building an entire offense around?
blargh
Pro Prospect
And1: 582

Post#379 » by blargh » Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:33 pm

ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:

Russell isn’t any better of a multi-level on-ball scorer than Tobias Harris. Russell is a better passer, but he really needs a PnR heavy offense to create mismatches and opportunities, and he’s not getting that here (Tobi is a pretty good passer out of the pick and roll himself). A real difference maker would be someone who can score and create at multiple levels off his own penetration and not get exposed on the other end, but how many of those guys are there, who really you would turn the keys over in a Championship situation? Butler approached that, but even there I had my doubts.
Bum Adebayo
General Manager

Post#380 » by Bum Adebayo » Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:40 pm

youngcrev wrote:
Bum Adebayo wrote:Not an issue with post play, but with Embiid's ability to score. He is not polished enough.

In terms of what? Building an entire offense around?

Yeah why not? if you are good enough, it doesn't matter what kind of offense you run, as long as it suits your best player's abilities. What I meant was that Embiid is not good enough of an offensive player to exclusively build the offense around him, he is no Shaq or Olajuwon, that's why in this instance a good shot creator is desirable. Simmons is exactly what we don't need unfortunately.
So the main issue is that Embiid has to carry an offensive load higher than what his offensive ability suggests is appropiate. We need another source of offense.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers