ImageImageImage

Game 30: Mavericks @ Sixers - 8 pm EST

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

DaSixers
Pro Prospect
And1: 227

Re: Game 30: Mavericks @ Sixers - 8 pm EST 

Post#221 » by DaSixers » Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:10 pm

Bum Adebayo wrote:Dwight was way more impactful in his prime, and even at the same age, we will see if Simmons will get to that level.
But I disagree about the skill part, Simmons is way more skilled than Dwight ever was and his basketball IQ is miles ahead. he should be a better player only based on this, but he isn't, and that is the problem. He has to be one of the biggest underachievers in NBA history.

Id like to heavily disagree. What says simmons has high bball iq? Is it the mind numbingly bad turnovers every game? Is it the passing the ball when he has 6'1 guys on him?

Is his high bball iq on display when he sits in the dunker spot hurting our offense? Nothing he does shows high bball iq, this is yet another myth of ben simmons. His advanced stats all point to a good player because he only takes guaranteed shots. Adv stats cant show how he makes everyone else on the court worse and have a harder time offensively at his expense

Ben simmons has been the biggest bball lie in some time. Dwight howard was more of a vocal cancer, ben simmons is a silent assassin that has been ruining and hurting this team for years, and FINALLY people are waking up to it
DaSixers
Pro Prospect

Post#222 » by DaSixers » Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:12 pm

Embiid P wrote:I'm telling you that losing to the Raps in seven on a miraculous buzzer beating shot was probably the worst possible outcome for this team last year. Not only did they not advance, but they deluded themselves into thinking that Brown was good enough to take them to the next level so they chose to keep him while Simmons hasn't improved at all. They would have been better off in the long run getting swept IMO.

Good take. I agree. Then we let our best player from that series go and built around our worst

**** this team man. Hinkie literally set this up to be fool proof, yet they have completely butchered this and I honestly dont think itnis fixable in the next 2 or 3 years
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,914

Post#223 » by mjkvol » Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:15 pm

Black Mage wrote:Has anyone else gotten tired of Brett speaking? He can take a simple yes or no question and turn it into a philosophical monologue.

Pseudo-philosophy that is incoherent half the time. That kind of substance-less garbage has to get old really fast, and there's no doubt that if the struggles continue the cracks will emerge and grow.

There's no way that pros like Richardson, Harris, Horford, Scott, Ennis, and O'Quinn don't see the coddling of Simmons and how he is permitted to make the same mistakes over and over with no signs of improving the glaring weaknesses in his game. At some point this is going to boil over, and it's going to be ugly.

If Brand doesn't have his finger on the pulse of this, and isn't actively seeking solutions, this season (and really, this entire experiment) is doomed for a potentially nasty failure.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
Bum Adebayo
General Manager
And1: 4,009

Post#224 » by Bum Adebayo » Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:19 pm

His high basketball IQ is evident watching him play, his skill level is evident watching him passing the ball, the vision he has and handling the ball the way he does at 6'11. His shot is also not as bad as many think, it's just that he is scared of doing things he doesn't excel at. Again, it is important to not confuse talent + skill level with actual results shown on the court. Ben Simmons has all the talent in the world, it's just that he doesn't work hard, doesn't give a **** anymore due to being rich and maybe he doesn't love basketball, but this last one is just speculation on my part. So basically the easiest player to dislike and root against.
Great takes since 2024-04-20
El Process
Ballboy
And1: 17

Post#225 » by El Process » Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:21 pm

Team is becoming a joke. Same problem with trading Simmons as Fultz now though. We won’t get anywhere near the return that he should be worth :banghead:
DaSixers
Pro Prospect

Post#226 » by DaSixers » Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:50 pm

Bum Adebayo wrote:His high basketball IQ is evident watching him play, his skill level is evident watching him passing the ball, the vision he has and handling the ball the way he does at 6'11. His shot is also not as bad as many think, it's just that he is scared of doing things he doesn't excel at. Again, it is important to not confuse talent + skill level with actual results shown on the court. Ben Simmons has all the talent in the world, it's just that he doesn't work hard, doesn't give a **** anymore due to being rich and maybe he doesn't love basketball, but this last one is just speculation on my part. So basically the easiest player to dislike and root against.

We will have to agree to disagree

He is not talented. He is physically gifted. Theres a difference. He has very little nuanced skill

And he shows horrific iq with how he plays in the half court, refusing to help the half court offense and instead sit in his dunker spot shows his low iq
Zumramania
Senior
And1: 411

Post#227 » by Zumramania » Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:40 pm

How do we know if Simmons is or is not working hard? Is there any evidence for us to conclude this? How do we know he doesn't care? Maybe he doesn't drive to the rim as much because he knows his FT percentage is not good and maybe he doesn't shoot because he knows his shot percentage would not be good in the short run. Maybe what's holding him back is not lack of care, but rather the opposite - perfectionism?
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,107

Post#228 » by Kobblehead » Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:44 pm

Zumramania wrote:How do we know if Simmons is or is not working hard? Is there any evidence for us to conclude this? How do we know he doesn't care?

Because his skillset is the exact same it has been since highschool and his production has plateaued and then outright valleyed as the years have gone on.

A players' development trajectory can tell you all you need to know about how hard he's working.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#229 » by mjkvol » Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:17 pm

Zumramania wrote:How do we know if Simmons is or is not working hard? Is there any evidence for us to conclude this? How do we know he doesn't care? Maybe he doesn't drive to the rim as much because he knows his FT percentage is not good and maybe he doesn't shoot because he knows his shot percentage would not be good in the short run. Maybe what's holding him back is not lack of care, but rather the opposite - perfectionism?

This is where coaching comes into play. I believe that Simmons is immensely talented, and has the physical gifts to be a generational player if (and this is a giant sized 'if') he works to improve the areas where he is lacking. The problem is that instead of outlining these issues and coming up with a real plan of action to address them this past off season, the Sixers left him on his own and gave him a monster contract.

At this point it is unrealistic to expect Brown to start disciplining the kid, especially after giving him the money and the way he blatantly disregarded Brown's directive of 'a 3-point attempt a game'. To be honest, I wish Brown would shut the hell up with the media and keep that kind of stuff in the locker room, but Brett sees himself as a personality at this point.

With that contract, Simmons is virtually untradeable, especially with teams seeing his limitations more and more as they scheme to take advantage of them. The only solution IMO is to replace Brown ASAP, for the sake of salvaging something from Simmons career, and mainly to try and save this 'experiment' from ending in disaster. I'm not holding my breath.
shlo
Junior
And1: 247

Post#230 » by shlo » Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:28 pm

mjkvol wrote:
Zumramania wrote:How do we know if Simmons is or is not working hard? Is there any evidence for us to conclude this? How do we know he doesn't care? Maybe he doesn't drive to the rim as much because he knows his FT percentage is not good and maybe he doesn't shoot because he knows his shot percentage would not be good in the short run. Maybe what's holding him back is not lack of care, but rather the opposite - perfectionism?

This is where coaching comes into play. I believe that Simmons is immensely talented, and has the physical gifts to be a generational player if (and this is a giant sized 'if') he works to improve the areas where he is lacking. The problem is that instead of outlining these issues and coming up with a real plan of action to address them this past off season, the Sixers left him on his own and gave him a monster contract.

At this point it is unrealistic to expect Brown to start disciplining the kid, especially after giving him the money and the way he blatantly disregarded Brown's directive of 'a 3-point attempt a game'. To be honest, I wish Brown would shut the hell up with the media and keep that kind of stuff in the locker room, but Brett sees himself as a personality at this point.

With that contract, Simmons is virtually untradeable, especially with teams seeing his limitations more and more as they scheme to take advantage of them. The only solution IMO is to replace Brown ASAP, for the sake of salvaging something from Simmons career, and mainly to try and save this 'experiment' from ending in disaster. I'm not holding my breath.

Sixers can replace Brown, but Simmons is still going to be Simmons.
Bum Adebayo
General Manager

Post#231 » by Bum Adebayo » Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:14 pm

shlo wrote:
mjkvol wrote:

I believe Brett is the one to blame the most for Simmons lack of improvement though. Obviously it is on Simmons too, but a proper coach wouldn't coddle him as much as he did and would motivate him more to improve. Brett is a yes man coach who is ok with Simmons not shooting and Simmons being who he is and not improving more. If you bring another coach who is not a yes man coach, then we can determine if Simmons is worth to keep or not. Dude is just too talented to not try to bring the best of him.
Trading Simmons right now I would be ok with it if the offer is good enough, but I'm afraid this is not the case.
XtremeDunkz
General Manager
And1: 6,845

Post#232 » by XtremeDunkz » Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:42 pm

Bum Adebayo wrote:
shlo wrote:
mjkvol wrote:

I believe Brett is the one to blame the most for Simmons lack of improvement though. Obviously it is on Simmons too, but a proper coach wouldn't coddle him as much as he did and would motivate him more to improve. Brett is a yes man coach who is ok with Simmons not shooting and Simmons being who he is and not improving more. If you bring another coach who is not a yes man coach, then we can determine if Simmons is worth to keep or not. Dude is just too talented to not try to bring the best of him.
Trading Simmons right now I would be ok with it if the offer is good enough, but I'm afraid this is not the case.
NBA players don't like coaches that try to be authoritative. You think a new coach is gonna come in and bench max contract Simmons for playing like a bitch? Please. Coaches have very limited say in the NBA.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
10/27/16
Nemesis21 wrote:It is absolutely hilarious hearing people still say Embiid has superstar potential.The guy is one injury away from being Greg Oden.:lol: Except Oden manged to play over 100 games in the NBA, I don't think Embiid will play more.
brannigan73
Rookie
And1: 617

Post#233 » by brannigan73 » Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:55 pm

They should trade him then he has a bad mindset that is not conduscive to winning. If they do that im fine with giving Brown more time. Look at a guy like Giannis that guy is willing to do anything to improve. He will shoot open jumper after open jumper even if half of them are air balls and he slowly but surely is improving as a shooter. Even for sensitive NBA players Simmons is one of the worst. Why would you want to build around a guy with a mindset like that?
Bum Adebayo
General Manager

Post#234 » by Bum Adebayo » Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:35 pm

What I know is that whatever we do, it HAS to include firing Brett. It is not an option, but a must, if we want to have championship aspirations.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#235 » by mjkvol » Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:41 pm

Bum Adebayo wrote:
shlo wrote:

The problem is obviously that they gave Simmons the monster contract as he is now - unless he has the burning desire to be great, what is there to incentivize him at this point? And he pretty clearly does not have that kind of desire, where he will do anything and everything to become the best.

As you suggest, bringing in a different coach will at least let the organization know if Simmons can be salvaged, and if not then move him. I'm not so sure that the organization would be willing to take pennies on the dollar for Simmons, and that might be the only way to move him with that contract.
DJ_3_Ball
Sixth Man
And1: 540

Post#236 » by DJ_3_Ball » Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:48 am

youngcrev wrote:
DJ_3_Ball wrote:What do you guys think of Seth Curry?

I'm convinced the Mavs are hell bent on keeping the roster as is, and one thing is for sure Carlisle has his way & his guys rarely move. Devin Harris at 2018's trade deadline being a notable exception.

Still, it's abundantly clear the Sixers need shooting. I'm thinking they make a deal with New Orleans and get Redick back. Although, I'd like to see the Sixers acquire Bertans from Washington (I don't believe the he's not available nonsense. Just negotiating tactics if you ask me).

If I'm the Mavs, I want a 1st round pick back, Zhaire Smith and Mike Scott to make the salaries match.

I realize that's an overpay, but Sixers hand is exposed. Everyone knows they need shooting & they know the Sixers' timeline is now. I don't see how Philly acquires a premiere shooter without overpaying.

Like I said, I don't see Seth even being available because the Mavs tend to really overvalue "their guys", but just gauging other fan base's opinions. Thanks.

I wanted to go after Curry this summer, but he got a lot more money than I expected (I was thinking he'd get something similar to what we have Scott). The Sixers need shooting, but I'd be surprised if they were willing to give up that type of package for Seth. Just playing the fantasy trade game, I could maybe see Zhaire/Bolden/OKC 1st

Tbh, Zhaire is someone the Sixers shouldn't trade. But, I feel like Brand is on the hot seat. Ownership expects more than game 7 of the 2nd round of the playoffs from this team. They've certainly paid for it.

Correct me if I'm wrong on that. If I'm Brand, then I'm not turning down an option to improve the team's chances (while I'm likely still the GM), even if it costs me a coveted asset (who's timeline is 3-4 years down the road).

Honestly, I'm not that high on Zhaire Smith, myself, but he would give the Mavs something they don't really have. A young player with a high ceiling. The type of guy you can move to a team like Cleveland whose looking to part ways with pretty much every vet on their roster. The closest thing the Mavs have to that is Jalen Brunson, and I think the Mavs value him higher than the rest of the league, so I don't ever see Brunson getting dealt.

From the Mavs' end of the equation, I don't think it matters if it's Scott or Bolden (not even sure who that is), as long as the salary lines up it'd be fine. The important part for the Mavs is Zhaire & the draft pick.
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,474

Post#237 » by youngcrev » Sun Dec 22, 2019 3:46 am

DJ_3_Ball wrote:
youngcrev wrote:
DJ_3_Ball wrote:What do you guys think of Seth Curry?

I'm convinced the Mavs are hell bent on keeping the roster as is, and one thing is for sure Carlisle has his way & his guys rarely move. Devin Harris at 2018's trade deadline being a notable exception.

Still, it's abundantly clear the Sixers need shooting. I'm thinking they make a deal with New Orleans and get Redick back. Although, I'd like to see the Sixers acquire Bertans from Washington (I don't believe the he's not available nonsense. Just negotiating tactics if you ask me).

If I'm the Mavs, I want a 1st round pick back, Zhaire Smith and Mike Scott to make the salaries match.

I realize that's an overpay, but Sixers hand is exposed. Everyone knows they need shooting & they know the Sixers' timeline is now. I don't see how Philly acquires a premiere shooter without overpaying.

Like I said, I don't see Seth even being available because the Mavs tend to really overvalue "their guys", but just gauging other fan base's opinions. Thanks.

I wanted to go after Curry this summer, but he got a lot more money than I expected (I was thinking he'd get something similar to what we have Scott). The Sixers need shooting, but I'd be surprised if they were willing to give up that type of package for Seth. Just playing the fantasy trade game, I could maybe see Zhaire/Bolden/OKC 1st

Tbh, Zhaire is someone the Sixers shouldn't trade. But, I feel like Brand is on the hot seat. Ownership expects more than game 7 of the 2nd round of the playoffs from this team. They've certainly paid for it.

Correct me if I'm wrong on that. If I'm Brand, then I'm not turning down an option to improve the team's chances (while I'm likely still the GM), even if it costs me a coveted asset (who's timeline is 3-4 years down the road).

Honestly, I'm not that high on Zhaire Smith, myself, but he would give the Mavs something they don't really have. A young player with a high ceiling. The type of guy you can move to a team like Cleveland whose looking to part ways with pretty much every vet on their roster. The closest thing the Mavs have to that is Jalen Brunson, and I think the Mavs value him higher than the rest of the league, so I don't ever see Brunson getting dealt.

From the Mavs' end of the equation, I don't think it matters if it's Scott or Bolden (not even sure who that is), as long as the salary lines up it'd be fine. The important part for the Mavs is Zhaire & the draft pick.

Brett is likely on the hot seat if they don't advance to at least the ECF, I'm not so sure about Elton. It's possible that they are tied at the hip, but I'd be kinda surprised if he was gone just due to the recency of his hiring. That said, I could certainly see them selling off Zhaire and other future assets for win-now pieces, and kinda expect it. I'm just not far how far down that list of potentially available pieces they'd have to get to look at Curry.

Down a different fantasy trade path, what would you about a deal for Horford?
DJ_3_Ball
Sixth Man
And1: 540

Post#238 » by DJ_3_Ball » Sun Dec 22, 2019 6:35 am

youngcrev wrote:Down a different fantasy trade path, what would you about a deal for Horford?

Yeah, I didn't really understand that signing this summer. I guess give Embiid some help for nights off. It's definitely hurt Boston. Gives Philly another body to run at Giannis.

I don't see how Philly gets away from that contract this year, though. Or, who you would trade for that would make the team better than they are now with Horford.

Boston could use him, lol. But, they can't take on the money & even if they could, they can't give you back anything you want.

There's not too many trade partners out there for PHI on Horford's deal. The only team I can think of is POR, but they can't offer anything in return that helps now. They're not dealing McCollum. Simons is too far away. They don't have anything else to give that helps now.

PHX maybe? Maybe they would deal Oubre, Idk. Oubre & Cam Johnson maybe. I don't see why PHX would jump the gun, though. They started the season out well, but they've fallen off. They're a longshot to make the playoffs.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers