ImageImageImage

The Problem with the Sixers (Identity/Leadership Void)

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

DaSixers
Pro Prospect
Posts: 926
And1: 227
Joined: Jun 29, 2019

Re: The Problem with the Sixers (Identity/Leadership Void) 

Post#41 » by DaSixers » Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:28 pm

Kobblehead wrote:We have a 104.6 defensive rating this year

In 2018, we had a 105 defensive rating. That's with Dario Saric and J.J. Redick in the lineup for 30 minutes a game.

It feels like we're underperforming defensively this year. We should be in the top 3 and instead we're in the back half of the Top 10. Missing Lloyd Pierce.


This. There is some myth about us being absurdly good defensively and it isnt even close to true. We have the roster of what should be the number 1 D in the league by far. Ever since lloyd pierce left and brown took control of the defense we have been putridly bad compared to our personel

Another sign of what a trash coach he is. Tell me how boston, BOSTON, a team starying kyrie, theis, tatum and hayward is as good or better defensively than us???

Because defense is all about coaching and effort.

There is so mich wrong with this team its hard to even measure
User avatar
Bum Adebayo
Analyst
Posts: 3,727
And1: 1,519
Joined: Apr 28, 2016
 

Re: The Problem with the Sixers (Identity/Leadership Void) 

Post#42 » by Bum Adebayo » Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:37 pm

Yeah, we underachieve massively relative to talent and capabilities. We are a team that is hard to root for.
mjkvol
Junior
Posts: 256
And1: 117
Joined: Apr 13, 2019

Re: The Problem with the Sixers (Identity/Leadership Void) 

Post#43 » by mjkvol » Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:07 am

SexDrugsPnR wrote:Even though things are not going as great as we thought they would, I'd like this to be the year where we don't make any major changes and let Brett and the team figure it out. You can talk about lack of shooting, lack of defensive effort, lack of in-game adjustments by the coach. But the one thing that's been a constant through all the years was lack of continuity. Let's make continuity our key addition this season.

Happy holidays everyone! :cuddle


And the same to you and yours.

I don't disagree with that. This was the plan, so let's stick it out and see where it leads us. I can see possibly adding a shooter, but the core will be the core, and any major changes should take place after giving this group the opportunity to work through the issues and see where it leads us.
thenbaman
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,373
And1: 251
Joined: Dec 01, 2008
 

Re: The Problem with the Sixers (Identity/Leadership Void) 

Post#44 » by thenbaman » Wed Dec 25, 2019 2:09 pm

The sixers will be unbeatable in a 7 game playoff series against any team they face no matter what happens in the regular season.
MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE.
User avatar
76ciology
RealGM
Posts: 44,177
And1: 13,878
Joined: Jun 06, 2002
Contact:

Re: The Problem with the Sixers (Identity/Leadership Void) 

Post#45 » by 76ciology » Wed Dec 25, 2019 3:14 pm

Read on Twitter
“Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there is absolutely no point.”
cool93
Starter
Posts: 2,376
And1: 1,460
Joined: Jul 24, 2016
 

Re: The Problem with the Sixers (Identity/Leadership Void) 

Post#46 » by cool93 » Wed Dec 25, 2019 3:50 pm

76ciology wrote:
Read on Twitter
"I don't give a ****"

- Ben Simmons



Sent from my G3416 using RealGM mobile app
Ferry Avenue
Sophomore
Posts: 219
And1: 72
Joined: May 08, 2019

Re: The Problem with the Sixers (Identity/Leadership Void) 

Post#47 » by Ferry Avenue » Wed Dec 25, 2019 9:12 pm

This game against Milwaukee is how this team CAN play when it has LEADERS WHO SPEARHEAD THE TEAM'S PERFORMANCE WITH THEIR INTENSITY AND QUALITY PLAY.

When Embiid plays like a man possessed on both sides of the floor, it sets quite the tone for the entire team.
downtownpie
Senior
Posts: 530
And1: 288
Joined: Jan 16, 2018
   

Re: The Problem with the Sixers (Identity/Leadership Void) 

Post#48 » by downtownpie » Thu Dec 26, 2019 2:14 am

This place is too extreme. Sixers are 6-2 against the EC best teams and majority here think the sky is falling.
creek48
Freshman
Posts: 68
And1: 20
Joined: Dec 22, 2019
 

Re: The Problem with the Sixers (Identity/Leadership Void) 

Post#49 » by creek48 » Thu Dec 26, 2019 2:35 am

downtownpie wrote:This place is too extreme. Sixers are 6-2 against the EC best teams and majority here think the sky is falling.

Different view points make for interesting conversation. I think the mods keep it from getting personal which is good. Its ok to disagree but keep it civil.
michaelm
Head Coach
Posts: 6,435
And1: 2,628
Joined: Apr 06, 2010
 

Re: The Problem with the Sixers (Identity/Leadership Void) 

Post#50 » by michaelm » Thu Dec 26, 2019 2:41 am

Ferry Avenue wrote:This game against Milwaukee is how this team CAN play when it has LEADERS WHO SPEARHEAD THE TEAM'S PERFORMANCE WITH THEIR INTENSITY AND QUALITY PLAY.

When Embiid plays like a man possessed on both sides of the floor, it sets quite the tone for the entire team.

Which is why the Sixers need him healthy in the play-offs, not wearing himself out in the regular season, as the organisation is actually saying. It is very unlikely they get home court advantage over the Bucks even if they tried very hard for it, Giannis is rather more robust than Embiid and can play most games in the regular season at high intensity. The Sixers bring it against the top EC teams anyway as has been said.
LeonJordanJr24
Rookie
Posts: 1,085
And1: 209
Joined: Jul 18, 2013

Re: The Problem with the Sixers (Identity/Leadership Void) 

Post#51 » by LeonJordanJr24 » Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:24 am

76ers need a lead guard.. move Ben to pf.
Ferry Avenue
Sophomore
Posts: 219
And1: 72
Joined: May 08, 2019

Re: The Problem with the Sixers (Identity/Leadership Void) 

Post#52 » by Ferry Avenue » Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:29 pm

The Sixers shot their wad against the Bucks on Christmas day, and none of that energy has been sustained since then.

Prepare for this team to implode very soon.
User avatar
Bum Adebayo
Analyst
Posts: 3,727
And1: 1,519
Joined: Apr 28, 2016
 

Re: The Problem with the Sixers (Identity/Leadership Void) 

Post#53 » by Bum Adebayo » Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:33 pm

As expected, team only plays hard when it is a really important and special game. This is on Brett, who is charmin soft and as a result there is zero accountability on players.
Ferry Avenue
Sophomore
Posts: 219
And1: 72
Joined: May 08, 2019

Re: The Problem with the Sixers (Identity/Leadership Void) 

Post#54 » by Ferry Avenue » Sat Jan 4, 2020 4:10 pm

This is why this team is going nowhere. What kind of team leader says this publicly after a loss?

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/28419048/sixers-joel-embiid-admits-losing-streak-taking-toll-me
Negrodamus
RealGM
Posts: 14,711
And1: 6,012
Joined: Aug 05, 2004

Re: The Problem with the Sixers (Identity/Leadership Void) 

Post#55 » by Negrodamus » Sat Jan 4, 2020 4:16 pm

Ferry Avenue wrote:This is why this team is going nowhere. What kind of team leader says this publicly after a loss?

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/28419048/sixers-joel-embiid-admits-losing-streak-taking-toll-me


Plenty. I'm sure we can find more scathing critique from LeBron of his teammates.
Ferry Avenue
Sophomore
Posts: 219
And1: 72
Joined: May 08, 2019

Re: The Problem with the Sixers (Identity/Leadership Void) 

Post#56 » by Ferry Avenue » Sat Jan 4, 2020 4:19 pm

Negrodamus wrote:
Ferry Avenue wrote:This is why this team is going nowhere. What kind of team leader says this publicly after a loss?

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/28419048/sixers-joel-embiid-admits-losing-streak-taking-toll-me


Plenty. I'm sure we can find more scathing critique from LeBron of his teammates.

The difference with LeBron is that you've never seen a tired and uninspired performance from him, and so when he criticizes his teammates, he's not hypocritically providing an example of low standard play at the same time.
Ferry Avenue
Sophomore
Posts: 219
And1: 72
Joined: May 08, 2019

Re: The Problem with the Sixers (Identity/Leadership Void) 

Post#57 » by Ferry Avenue » Fri Feb 7, 2020 11:49 pm

Joel Embiid all but confirmed the premise of this thread the other day.

I don't think the team brass appreciated the effect the absence of JJ Redick would have on this team.
User avatar
stormi
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,962
And1: 1,407
Joined: Jun 04, 2019
Location: Blasia
     

Re: The Problem with the Sixers (Identity/Leadership Void) 

Post#58 » by stormi » Fri Feb 7, 2020 11:54 pm

DaSixers wrote:
Kobblehead wrote:We have a 104.6 defensive rating this year

In 2018, we had a 105 defensive rating. That's with Dario Saric and J.J. Redick in the lineup for 30 minutes a game.

It feels like we're underperforming defensively this year. We should be in the top 3 and instead we're in the back half of the Top 10. Missing Lloyd Pierce.


This. There is some myth about us being absurdly good defensively and it isnt even close to true. We have the roster of what should be the number 1 D in the league by far. Ever since lloyd pierce left and brown took control of the defense we have been putridly bad compared to our personel

Another sign of what a trash coach he is. Tell me how boston, BOSTON, a team starying kyrie, theis, tatum and hayward is as good or better defensively than us???

Because defense is all about coaching and effort.

There is so mich wrong with this team its hard to even measure


interjecting on an old convo for something minuscule, but Tatum is one of the best wing defenders in the league
eso3
Sophomore
Posts: 152
And1: 75
Joined: Oct 22, 2013

Re: The Problem with the Sixers (Identity/Leadership Void) 

Post#59 » by eso3 » Sat Feb 8, 2020 2:28 am

Its crazy to think how the dynamics of this team could have changed if Butler had decided to stay. I bet he loves the beach and lifestyle at Miami, but this was not the deal braker, nor the money. Sixers FO just didnt want to hand him the the team. They were too engaged and invensted with Joel and Ben that they probably proposed being the 3rd star and having the ball in the final moments, which is evident given the number of times he delivered here.

Now we see him being the leader of the unexpectedly good Miami Heat, with all the players taking in HIS identity... Makes you wonder, right?

How good would this team by if we had let Jimmy be the 1, Joel 2 and Ben 3? I Iove Embiid but im still unimpressed with him being the alpha on a contender. Yet. And Ben.. He is just Ben. We know the good, the bad and how those extremes affect our championships hopes.

JJ was great too with all his experiencie, but upgrading him with Richardson was the best move.



Enviado desde mi POT-LX3 mediante Tapatalk
Ferry Avenue
Sophomore
Posts: 219
And1: 72
Joined: May 08, 2019

Re: The Problem with the Sixers (Identity/Leadership Void) 

Post#60 » by Ferry Avenue » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:56 pm

I think this team may have turned the corner with regard to this issue, folks.

Last night was the first game of the season in which it appeared to me that Simmons and Embiid -- at the same time -- took ownership of the team, brought their A games, performed very well, and carried the team.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers