ImageImageImage

Sixers @ Heat 12/28 8pm EST

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

Kolkmania
Analyst
And1: 1,664

Re: Sixers @ Heat 12/28 8pm EST 

Post#361 » by Kolkmania » Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:05 pm

Kobblehead wrote:Vegas should adjust those odds on the account of Simmons not taking the leap. And drop the Bucks while they're at it. Not sure if Harris and Middleton are good enough to be the #2 on a champion. Especially when each respective #1 isn't a closer.

I kind of agree, but are Siakam/Lowry or Walker/Tatum good enough? Without Leonard in the EC, I think Giannis alone makes them the #1 contender.
Kolkmania
Analyst
And1: 1,664

Post#362 » by Kolkmania » Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:10 pm

Of course it is frustrating that we lose the game, but I had a blast watching this game. Heat are a fun team, with lots of undrafted players and rookies.

Really glad that Burke finally played more than 10 minutes. You see the difference in the half court offense when you have a guard that can actually dribble around screens, with some kind of danger of pulling up.
phillynative
General Manager
And1: 2,736

Post#363 » by phillynative » Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:13 pm

ankle420breaker wrote:Disappointed in Embiid. Smiling and celebrating like it's over after he hit that 3 over Jimmy.... only to get stripped on crucial back-to-back possessions. Those turnovers were costly and put Miami in the driver's seat.... that's on Joel's shoulders.

He then performs a disappearing act in OT, failing to produce offensively while getting abused by Dragic and Bam.

Everyone loves to criticize Brett, Brand, our offseason moves, etc (and there are plenty of valid arguments there), but to me the key issue all season has been our two best players underperforming and playing way too inconsistent.

Despite our record-- we've struggled to pass the eye test all season. Turnovers, undisciplined defense, impulsive fouls, relinquishing comfortable leads, etc. This upcoming stretch is a bit alarming as I could easily foresee them building on this losing streak.

I've been saying I'm going to hold off until January before solidifying early season concerns. Its still difficult to project what this team will become, but I definitely expected them to be playing at a higher level and with more consistency at this juncture.

Sent from my SM-G970U using RealGM mobile app

I agree

IMO it goes back to a lack of leadership off and on the floor. Embiid has proven time and time again that he will turn the ball over in crucial moments. For a player as good as he is, his ball protection and decision making skills are severely lacking.

If we had a true lead guard the ball would be out of Embiids hands. There is a lack of a floor leader that will get the ball out his hands and will actually want it in the crunch.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,516

Post#364 » by 76ciology » Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:32 pm

1.) Biid was tired
2.) Biid wanted to shoot those FTs
3.) It’s not Biid’s position to hold the ball because he has no choice but to be stationary. Would have preferred him protecting it better though.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
XDevilBoiX
Head Coach
And1: 2,481

Post#365 » by XDevilBoiX » Sun Dec 29, 2019 3:36 pm

downtownpie wrote:If they are trading someone it should be Embiid. He has the currency.

They aren’t going to get pieces back that make this team contend for the title. Back to being a treadmill team with Ben leading the charge. They need to trade Ben this offseason and get a new coach. I’ll take my chances with Embiid.

I’ve given up on Ben, the coach can’t make him show up and play at a high level. He has no heart, only shows up to play against inferior opponents. Dude only cares about money, cars and making the all star team once is good enough for him.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,877

Post#366 » by mjkvol » Sun Dec 29, 2019 3:39 pm

cej11 wrote:Brett finally played the lineup I've wanted to see all season and I hope he sticks with it. Embiid, Tobias , J Rich, Ben and Trey Burke. This needs to be the end of game crunch time lineup right here. Brett has to let Trey handle the two man game stuff instead of J Rich though. I actually wouldn't be upset if this was the starting unit and just let Horford come off the bench to back up Embiid.

Agree totally, but I don't see Brown doing that. Horford wasn't paid that money to be a backup 5, even if that's what he's best suited for at this point.

To me, if they made Burke a regular rotation guy and went out and got one more shooter, it would change everything, and give Brown options in the half court and in crunch time. Look at the difference guys like Herro and Hill make on those teams.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
ivysixer2000
General Manager
And1: 2,033

Post#367 » by ivysixer2000 » Sun Dec 29, 2019 3:43 pm

phillynative wrote:
ankle420breaker wrote:Disappointed in Embiid. Smiling and celebrating like it's over after he hit that 3 over Jimmy.... only to get stripped on crucial back-to-back possessions. Those turnovers were costly and put Miami in the driver's seat.... that's on Joel's shoulders.

He then performs a disappearing act in OT, failing to produce offensively while getting abused by Dragic and Bam.

Everyone loves to criticize Brett, Brand, our offseason moves, etc (and there are plenty of valid arguments there), but to me the key issue all season has been our two best players underperforming and playing way too inconsistent.

Despite our record-- we've struggled to pass the eye test all season. Turnovers, undisciplined defense, impulsive fouls, relinquishing comfortable leads, etc. This upcoming stretch is a bit alarming as I could easily foresee them building on this losing streak.

I've been saying I'm going to hold off until January before solidifying early season concerns. Its still difficult to project what this team will become, but I definitely expected them to be playing at a higher level and with more consistency at this juncture.

I agree

IMO it goes back to a lack of leadership off and on the floor. Embiid has proven time and time again that he will turn the ball over in crucial moments. For a player as good as he is, his ball protection and decision making skills are severely lacking.

If we had a true lead guard the ball would be out of Embiids hands. There is a lack of a floor leader that will get the ball out his hands and will actually want it in the crunch.

Funny thing is we had a lead guard, now he was on the other team last night. Course we just had to give the ball to Ben instead of JImmy.....well for no reason at all really.

I don't know what it will take for Ben to even care, but its hard to have a 'star' that really doesn't care about being better, yet shows no drive to actually do it other than talk about it in some interview.

Embiid made mistakes in this game, but if we did have that lead guard, then he would've had someone to pass to when he was stripped....instead he has Ben's ass hiding out on his phone in some corner texting a Kardashian.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#368 » by mjkvol » Sun Dec 29, 2019 3:47 pm

VDT wrote:Players like Simmons that are bad outside shooters need to be much more aggressive to justify being called a star and being franchise cornerstones.

That's the thing - if Simmons became more aggressive going to the rim and finishing, and learned a couple of moves when posting up, to me the lack of an outside shot wouldn't even be an issue.

If this kid could be a threat to score any time he entered the paint, it would only make his passing that much more effective. Combine that with elite defense, and you have a legit superstar.

If ...................
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,467

Post#369 » by youngcrev » Sun Dec 29, 2019 3:51 pm

Yeah. Jo had a hell of a statistical night, but those late game turnovers can't happen. And once he picked up that 5th foul he was a non-factor defensively.

As built, I think this team kinda is what it is. A mediocre offensive team that has the size and defense to give teams trouble. Nothing is going to come easy. I could just as easily see them going out in the 2nd round as I could making the finals.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#370 » by mjkvol » Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:02 pm

The frustrating thing about games like this is the lack of discipline and carelessness in big spots, which just shouldn't happen with a veteran group, but happens way too often to this one.

This game was over if Harris completes the dunk or Embiid doesn't cough it up. Over. And how about Richardson's pass to no one? The constant silly mistakes normally come back to one thing - coaching, and the complete lack of accountability here.

Brown is talking about all the good things the team did, and I'm thinking "what's wrong with this picture?" Any one play is made, and this is a W, and we aren't talking this way. I can live with basic execution mistakes, as those will happen to everyone, but at some point the constant mental errors and lack of discipline need to be addressed. I'm not holding my breath.
youngcrev
RealGM

Post#371 » by youngcrev » Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:13 pm

ivysixer2000 wrote:
phillynative wrote:

I agree

Funny thing is we had a lead guard, now he was on the other team last night. Course we just had to give the ball to Ben instead of JImmy.....well for no reason at all really.

I don't know what it will take for Ben to even care, but its hard to have a 'star' that really doesn't care about being better, yet shows no drive to actually do it other than talk about it in some interview.

Embiid made mistakes in this game, but if we did have that lead guard, then he would've had someone to pass to when he was stripped....instead he has Ben's ass hiding out on his phone in some corner texting a Kardashian.

It's obnoxious that our PG can't have the ball in his hands in late game situations since you absolutely can't trust him at the free throw line, but come on... Harris, Richardson and Burke were all wide open with easy passing lanes to get them the ball. Jo was holding the ball because he wanted to go to the line to put the game away, not because he didn't have anywhere to go with it. That turnover is 100% on him.

Ben's lack of development as a shooter and lack of aggressiveness attacking the rim are an obvious issue, and are things that should get talked about, but I'm not sure why he gets piled on every game. He had another great defensive performance and came up with another clutch play for the team.
youngcrev
RealGM

Post#372 » by youngcrev » Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:28 pm

phillynative wrote:

I agree

Yup. Hard not to think about how much better this team would be in late game situations with a veteran lead guard over a veteran PF/C. A Lowry/CP3 type to get things in order offensively, be a strong ball handler (since you can't give the ball to your supposed PG), get you something off the bounce, and knock down free throws. Hell, even defensively, which is Al's strong suit, looking specifically at this game he ends up getting assigned to Herro and then switched onto Jimmy in a crucial play down the stretch, neither of which being optimal. Just look at how helpful Burke is been with his skill set, and he's by no means a good player
kuclas
General Manager
And1: 3,905

Post#373 » by kuclas » Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:45 pm

Well in embiid defense. Refs could have easily called jimmy for the wrap around before poking the ball.

But they let smaller defenders get away with more than bigger defenders.

Like Joel barely touch jimmy on the shot minutes earlier. Jimmy actually launched into Joel. But they give jimmy the free throws.
phillynative
General Manager
And1: 2,736

Post#374 » by phillynative » Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:51 pm

youngcrev wrote:
phillynative wrote:

I agree

Yup. Hard not to think about how much better this team would be in late game situations with a veteran lead guard over a veteran PF/C. A Lowry/CP3 type to get things in order offensively, be a strong ball handler (since you can't give the ball to your supposed PG), get you something off the bounce, and knock down free throws. Hell, even defensively, which is Al's strong suit, looking specifically at this game he ends up getting assigned to Herro and then switched onto Jimmy in a crucial play down the stretch, neither of which being optimal. Just look at how helpful Burke is been with his skill set, and he's by no means a good player

This . Exactly
Kova
Veteran
And1: 711

Post#375 » by Kova » Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:33 pm

shlo wrote:
Kova wrote:And one thing for Simmons haters. Look, Jalen Rose said it nicely the other day. If you accept him for what he is, you will not have an issue with him. He is not a 2nd coming of Magic. He is what Lonzo Ball was supposed to be - Jason Kidd without an outside shot. He is an excellent defender above all, great in the open court, and a triple-double threat. He will hover around 15ppg, make crazy plays when you don't expect it, and frustrate you when expect more than he is.

I respectfully disagree. I know what he is and I know you can't win with a guy like that. So accepting/respecting what he is as a player and not expecting him to be Magic, doesn't change the fact that he kills this team in late, close situations every time. He simply can't be a playoff team's PG.

I agree that we cannot win a championship if he doesn't start to shoot FT range jumpers and occasional three.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#376 » by mjkvol » Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:11 pm

youngcrev wrote:It's obnoxious that our PG can't have the ball in his hands in late game situations since you absolutely can't trust him at the free throw line, but come on... Harris, Richardson and Burke were all wide open with easy passing lanes to get them the ball. Jo was holding the ball because he wanted to go to the line to put the game away, not because he didn't have anywhere to go with it. That turnover is 100% on him.

Ben's lack of development as a shooter and lack of aggressiveness attacking the rim are an obvious issue, and are things that should get talked about, but I'm not sure why he gets piled on every game. He had another great defensive performance and came up with another clutch play for the team.

100% on Embiid, no question. You can make the argument as well that Harris should not have gone to the rim, but I guess he makes that dunk 99 out of 100 times.

The one thing I left out in my earlier post about Simmons not needing a jump shot if he became more aggressive at the rim and in the post was free throw shooting - if he became a great finisher and hit 70-75% of his free throws, he would be a late game beast. But playing four on five in the half court and keep away from him in FT situations, it is beyond asinine having him on the court.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#377 » by mjkvol » Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:21 pm

I still believe that the Sixers are a team no one will want to face in a short series. The Celtics can't deal with our length, and we might match up better with the Bucks than anyone else. The teams that scare me are Indiana, Miami and Toronto, but I still have trouble imaging one of them winning four of seven from the Sixers.

The problem is that I'm expecting the switch to just be flipped like it was on Sunday, and we will have to win on the road, because this group will most likely not be better than a 4 seed. I'm also counting on the team getting more comfortable playing together, Brand getting a shooter at some point, and Brown making the proper adjustments with his rotations by playoff time. But expecting those last two to happen might just be a pipe dream.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,105

Post#378 » by Kobblehead » Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:38 pm

As tough as Miami plays us in the regular season, I don't view them as a threat. I think we would beat them in 5. Miami and Milwaukee are probably our easiest foes, despite them being two of the best performing teams in the Conference in the regular season thus far.
Ferry Avenue
Starter
And1: 829

Post#379 » by Ferry Avenue » Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:40 pm

mjkvol wrote:I still believe that the Sixers are a team no one will want to face in a short series. The Celtics can't deal with our length, and we might match up better with the Bucks than anyone else. The teams that scare me are Indiana, Miami and Toronto, but I still have trouble imaging one of them winning four of seven from the Sixers.

The problem is that I'm expecting the switch to just be flipped like it was on Sunday, and we will have to win on the road, because this group will most likely not be better than a 4 seed. I'm also counting on the team getting more comfortable playing together, Brand getting a shooter at some point, and Brown making the proper adjustments with his rotations by playoff time. But expecting those last two to happen might just be a pipe dream.

When has there been any evidence in the recent history of the league of a team's being just above-average (as opposed to upper echelon) in the regular season and then getting to the finals in the postseason?
Ferry Avenue
Starter
And1: 829

Post#380 » by Ferry Avenue » Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:44 pm

Kobblehead wrote:As tough as Miami plays us in the regular season, I don't view them as a threat. I think we would beat them in 5. Miami and Milwaukee are probably our easiest foes, despite them being two of the best performing teams in the Conference in the regular season thus far.

Certainly you think other teams have strengths that will be on greater display in the playoffs as well? Do you figure the Sixers are going to reach some new level in the playoffs and everybody else will stay where they are at present?

If the Sixers can't beat the Heat in the regular season, then when both teams step it up a notch in the playoffs, they'll have trouble beating the Heat in the playoffs as well.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers