ImageImageImage

Appropriate Level of Panic

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

AI_Efficiency
Sixth Man
And1: 698

Appropriate Level of Panic 

Post#1 » by AI_Efficiency » Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:33 pm

This season has been frustrating, but I've been telling myself it's only the regular season and this is a team that will show up in the playoffs. Vegas has consistently had us with the fifth best odds at a championship. Those odds have slowly slipped however, and the current odds to win the East are Milwaukee 5/6, 76ers 7/2, Boston 9/2, and Miami 10/1. Further, only one 4 seed and one team lower than a 4 seed has ever won an nba championship in I think about 66 titles. Thus, history suggests if we finish 4 or lower as a seed, we are not winning a title.

Given how close we were last year and that the expectation this year was at least an ECF appearance, if not a finals run, where is everyone on the 1-10 scale, with 1 being no panic at all and 10 being break the glass and hit the red button?
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,372

Re: Appropriate Level of Panic 

Post#2 » by Eyeamok » Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:41 pm

I am very optimistic by nature....so my level of panic is....Burn it down and start a new process we are done. :lol:

The post season will be a reflection of the regular season if they can't get it together. I will list the good and bad points of this team so far. The good thing is is we know how to play at home. The bad thing is...well there are too many bad things to list.
The Accession of Paul Reed is upon us !

You want it to be one way....but it's the other way.

Marlo
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,063

Post#3 » by Kobblehead » Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:49 pm

No panic because I don't expect this team to win a title. We only have one star and he's not a closer. Our title chances rest on Tobias elevating his play in the postseason and balling out in the halfcourt and us getting a lot of luck with better teams playing poorly.
UptownPhilly
Analyst
And1: 183

Post#4 » by UptownPhilly » Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:54 pm

We have the same problems that we've had for years (excluding Butler). We don't have players that can create off the dribble and dominate. Embiid and Tobias are proving their worth as the teams leaders this season. Ben hasn't shown any ability or willingness to take the next step in leadership and become what we need him to be on offense. Everyone else is complimentary. I expect an ECF appearance, but wouldn't be surprised if we don't make it there.
XDevilBoiX
Head Coach
And1: 2,481

Post#5 » by XDevilBoiX » Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:55 pm

I am not panicking as there’s nothing to panic about. Team was hype up for stupid reasons because of the offseason moves. I didn’t and still don’t see the improvements made with the Horford signing. Losing JJ and Jimmy made this team worst imo.

Two years ago is when I was excited that they made the playoffs but then watching the Celtics series and last season put everything into perspective. Brett can’t be the coach that leads this team to winning the title. We’ve seen him get out coached and the adjustments he makes is too late. Even tho they are on pace for 50+ wins this year, team has looked like crap on most nights, especially on the road.

I’m still watching as I’m a fan of the team and I root for all my hometown teams.
AI_Efficiency
Sixth Man
And1: 698

Post#6 » by AI_Efficiency » Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:59 pm

Kobblehead wrote:No panic because I don't expect this team to win a title. We only have one star and he's not a closer. Our title chances rest on Tobias elevating his play in the postseason and balling out in the halfcourt and us getting a lot of luck with better teams playing poorly.

Fair enough. I guess this should be in the context of our expectations after last year ended. For example, after we lost last year, I assumed we would run back the same team, except now we would have continuity, plus the growth of Embiid and Simmons, giving us a real shot to make the finals. This team went in a different direction, but I think the expectation as far as what constitutes a successful season are the same i.e. contending for a championship. Thus, i'm probably at a 6 or so on the panic meter. I agree that this team does not look likely to win this year, which isn't great, but I also think there has to be some concern that this roster never gets to that level and that we have locked ourselves into this roster for the next few years.
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#7 » by Kobblehead » Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:05 pm

AI_Efficiency wrote:Fair enough. I guess this should be in the context of our expectations after last year ended. For example, after we lost last year, I assumed we would run back the same team, except now we would have continuity, plus the growth of Embiid and Simmons, giving us a real shot to make the finals. This team went in a different direction, but I think the expectation as far as what constitutes a successful season are the same i.e. contending for a championship. Thus, i'm probably at a 6 or so on the panic meter. I agree that this team does not look likely to win this year, which isn't great, but I also think there has to be some concern that this roster never gets to that level and that we have locked ourselves into this roster for the next few years.

Oh, that's definitely giving me unease.

I'm actually expecting Elton Brand to move Simmons this summer, though. Maybe I shouldn't expect it and should be more concerned than I am.
VDT
Analyst
And1: 2,106

Post#8 » by VDT » Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:26 pm

It's still early to say and a lot can change until April. Injuries and matchups are important and i have the hope that the team will be more focused in the playoffs. Increased physicality and slower pace should also favor us and other teams with size.

Simmons not taking a step forward is what lowers the ceiling of this team and might be the reason the team fails in the postseason.

The problem is that if the FO thinks that this roster cant win there is no easy way to improve a roster whose highest paid players would be, with the exception of Embiid, overpaid. Horford has negative value, Harris is also a somewhat negative contract and Simmons value will depend on his year, which hasnt been spectacular until now. And all these players have contracts throughout Embiid's peak and prime.
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#9 » by Kobblehead » Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:41 pm

VDT wrote:The problem is that if the FO thinks that this roster cant win there is no easy way to improve a roster

Josh Richardson + $9m in salary solves all our issues in one fell swoop and sets us up as perennial contenders, going forward.
VDT
Analyst

Post#10 » by VDT » Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:26 pm

Kobblehead wrote:
VDT wrote:The problem is that if the FO thinks that this roster cant win there is no easy way to improve a roster

Josh Richardson + $9m in salary solves all our issues in one fell swoop and sets us up as perennial contenders, going forward.

How so?
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,444

Post#11 » by youngcrev » Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:30 pm

AI_Efficiency wrote:This season has been frustrating, but I've been telling myself it's only the regular season and this is a team that will show up in the playoffs. Vegas has consistently had us with the fifth best odds at a championship. Those odds have slowly slipped however, and the current odds to win the East are Milwaukee 5/6, 76ers 7/2, Boston 9/2, and Miami 10/1. Further, only one 4 seed and one team lower than a 4 seed has ever won an nba championship in I think about 66 titles. Thus, history suggests if we finish 4 or lower as a seed, we are not winning a title.

Given how close we were last year and that the expectation this year was at least an ECF appearance, if not a finals run, where is everyone on the 1-10 scale, with 1 being no panic at all and 10 being break the glass and hit the red button?

Maybe like a 3?

This team is pretty much what I expected, but Boston, Miami and Toronto are better than I expected.

So to me what's changed is I think there's a very real chance that they could be a 2nd round exit once again, as opposed to a cake walk to the ECF. Something that would for sure cause heads to roll. I could just as easily see them going to the finals though.
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#12 » by Kobblehead » Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:47 pm

VDT wrote:How so?

If we can convince the Bulls to part with Zach Lavine, that is.
XDevilBoiX
Head Coach
And1: 2,481

Post#13 » by XDevilBoiX » Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:53 pm

Kobblehead wrote:If we can convince the Bulls to part with Zach Lavine, that is.

He’s gonna want out by next year
VDT
Analyst

Post#14 » by VDT » Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:05 pm

Kobblehead wrote:
VDT wrote:How so?

If we can convince the Bulls to part with Zach Lavine, that is.

Next year just the contracts of Embiid, Harris, Simmons and Horford are 120 mil. I doubt the team would want to add Lavine's 20 mil to that especially if the team flames out this year.
Mik317
RealGM
And1: 17,621

Post#15 » by Mik317 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:10 pm

no panic.

didn't expect much after the offseason. Bummed out that i might be right lol. But its not the end of the world either. This is what happens when you use up all your assets..you get stuck for a year or two and have to live with your choices....if this season ends in a flameout. Brett will be gone and that alone will be a new world. Moreso if Ben is also gone or is moved off PG duties.

kinda makes the season a chore tho.
#NeverGonnaBeGood
DaSixers
Pro Prospect
And1: 227

Post#16 » by DaSixers » Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:44 am

For this season chances at a title? 9 out of 10

For our future? 8 out of 10 unless brown and simmons are dumped this offseason then my worry goes way down
BigSleep333
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,632

Post#17 » by BigSleep333 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:53 am

im in no panic, but i have my doubts the process will work with ben. could see us winning it this season despite all the problems, but i would be happier with a scoring guard over ben.
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,667

Post#18 » by Negrodamus » Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:59 am

It’s hard to quantify it since I’ve been a bit worried about the long term success of this team since we committed to paying Tobias a massive contract last year when we traded for him (Butler too). I’ve also been concerned that we have made zero attempts to rectify the Fultz situation in grabbing an actual lead guard with scoring capabilities.

Horford signing added another layer of concern. I don’t have a ton of confidence in this front office or Brett. If there is some movement in those regards this offseason, then I’ll be more optimistic. Until then, we just have to suffer through this absurd offense.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,676

Post#19 » by the_process » Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:06 am

I'll get back to you in August.
ivysixer2000
General Manager
And1: 2,009

Post#20 » by ivysixer2000 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:02 am

Great threat, one that dabods told me to let go.

No panic, just yell about it and let it go. They have alot of problems that they need to yell about and let go.

We will win, and everyone will be mad....time heals all wounds

Return to Philadelphia 76ers