Eyeamok
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,464

Re: Pitch Your Horford Move 

Post#241 » by Eyeamok » Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:15 pm

XtremeDunkz wrote:
XDevilBoiX wrote:
elchengue20 wrote:Elton Brand SUCKS as a GM

Why stop there? Brett sucks a coach, Harris sucks as a owner. Did I leave out anyone else?

I'll die on the hill of Josh Harris is actually a really good owner that gets a bad rep for being forced to make changes by the league office.

Yes but as a smart business man, Josh did not have to hire BC and put him in a position over Hinkie. No one in the league was hiring the former executive of the year, until his father intervened on his part. That should have been red flag number one. Secondly you don't want the stench of nepotism to be part of your organization. By hiring BC Josh did that. And thirdly you undermine Hinkie by making him report to BC. This whole thing could have gone completely another way if BC was reporting to Hinkie as opposed to the other way. I was 100% in on Josh as an owner before all of this took place.
The Accession of Paul Reed is upon us !

Bring on the draft

You want it to be one way....but it's the other way.

Marlo
Ferry Avenue
Starter
And1: 848

Post#242 » by Ferry Avenue » Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:27 pm

My current Horford move would be to see how the team plays with him at the 5 with Embiid out, and then consider making an Embiid move based on that.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,778

Post#243 » by the_process » Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:43 pm

ProcessDoctor wrote:
the_process wrote:
ProcessDoctor wrote:I wonder how Al would respond to the idea of playing 30 mpg...coming off the bench. It would optimize everyone’s strengths.

I'd cut him back to 24-26. Just tell him he's coming off the bench now. Limit his minutes on the floor with the starting unit to 8-10. Let him play 16 with Ben and shooters as a bench unit. He can then whine to the media all he likes, but since I imagine he likes those oversized, undeserved paychecks more... I think everything will be fine. He's always been a team guy. Work it out in the summer.

As I read on another thread around here earlier; only two of Embiid, Simmons, and Horford should be on the floor at one time.

I don't know if benching him AND reducing his minutes would end well. He's shown he can be effective, just not when he's on the court with Embiid and Ben, as you mentioned. I think starting Korkmaz and acquiring a scoring point guard (i.e. Rose) would allow our team to hit a nice stride into the post-season.

Simmons(24)/Rose(24)
Richardson(32)/Ennis(16)
Korkmaz(20)/Thybulle(20)/Harris(8)
Harris(26)/Horford(12)/Simmons(10)
Embiid(30)/Horford(18)

That rotation would absolutely crush teams, and we don't lose our size advantage versus Giannis/Milwaukee. If that squad met anyone besides the Clippers in the Finals, I'd bet on us.

Horford needs to play a little bit less. He's getting up there and some load management will do him good. I agree Korkmaz should be starting now with Ben, Jo, Tobias, and Josh.
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,987

Post#244 » by Negrodamus » Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:49 pm

Arsenal wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:I think a trade around Lou Williams for Josh Richardson is the trade we should be looking at. I don't know if the Clippers are interested in something like that, but the salaries are close. They get a younger defensive minded player that plays well off ball; we get a guard that changes the offense completely.

I like Lou, but I'm not trading Richardson for him. JRich is a better player and much younger.

The Sixers have essentially gone all in on winning in the next 4 years. Josh is a good player and had a very good game last night. Lou is much better on offense and an infinitely better fit. We can cover for Josh's absence.
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,699

Post#245 » by rzzzzz » Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:02 pm

Eyeamok wrote:Yes but as a smart business man, Josh did not have to hire BC and put him in a position over Hinkie. No one in the league was hiring the former executive of the year, until his father intervened on his part.

Josh ain't no Mark Cuban, who would have told Adam Nosferatu to go haunt some other castle. Between the Embiid set back (and all the nasty publicity all coming out against the poor kid) and the sneers of a few saintly media giAnts, Josh crumbled and allowed Adam's decision that the Colangelos would come in and save our besmirched franchise. i don't know, maybe he threw in the #1 lottery ball for Simmons. but Sam never got to show his stuff once Biid was healthy, let alone keep playing with that war chest he had assembled for the franchise. now wasted, of course.
MambaJuice
Junior
And1: 194

Post#246 » by MambaJuice » Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:06 pm

I'm on the bring Horford off the bench when Embiid comes back bandwagon. Horford isn't a stretch 4 which is what we need him to be in a Ben and Jo lineup. He can play with either but not both at the same time. Sucks to pay him so much for what is essentially a back up role, but the Embiid insurance is coming in handy.
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,526

Post#247 » by youngcrev » Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:22 pm

MambaJuice wrote:I'm on the bring Horford off the bench when Embiid comes back bandwagon. Horford isn't a stretch 4 which is what we need him to be in a Ben and Jo lineup. He can play with either but not both at the same time. Sucks to pay him so much for what is essentially a back up role, but the Embiid insurance is coming in handy.

I think that should be his role if he's willing to accept it.

My issue even with that is that I don't love his fit with Embiid regardless of whether Ben is on the floor, and his ability to play the 4 is only going to go down hill as we get deeper into that contract.

He's a very good player to have when Embiid is missing games, but your insurance policy needs an insurance policy of his own at his age (and again, that's something that's only going to get worse).

To me, it just makes sense to move him if they can find a quality perimeter player that can play with both guys and close out games. If Embiid is hurt in the playoffs you're screwed anyway. You can fill out those 12 or so minutes that he won't be on floor a lot cheaper than that. Feels like an overreaction to the situation they were in last year, filling out that spot with a guy they picked up off the street a few weeks before the playoffs.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,724

Post#248 » by 76ciology » Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:25 pm

Eyeamok wrote:
XtremeDunkz wrote:
XDevilBoiX wrote:Why stop there? Brett sucks a coach, Harris sucks as a owner. Did I leave out anyone else?

I'll die on the hill of Josh Harris is actually a really good owner that gets a bad rep for being forced to make changes by the league office.

Yes but as a smart business man, Josh did not have to hire BC and put him in a position over Hinkie. No one in the league was hiring the former executive of the year, until his father intervened on his part. That should have been red flag number one. Secondly you don't want the stench of nepotism to be part of your organization. By hiring BC Josh did that. And thirdly you undermine Hinkie by making him report to BC. This whole thing could have gone completely another way if BC was reporting to Hinkie as opposed to the other way. I was 100% in on Josh as an owner before all of this took place.

Josh is really a good owner, for fans like me who has a championship or bust mentality. For me he’s the mastermind of “the process”. He has his fingerprint on this team from the day he bought the team. Taking his chances on Bynum, having that necessity to get a top 5 player to win a championship, taking his chances on Noel and Biid and etc.

Regarding hiring BC, it’s just BC is the right GM for us at that stage. Say what you want about BC, but he has very good relation with agents and people all around the league. It’s not like we hired Scott layden. BC was a 2x executive of the year in the league. Say what you want about Bargnani, but for me that move shows his great foresight to the direction of the game. Another player was Fultz, who was close to being the perfect PG in today’s game if he didn’t have that weird injury. Drafting Bargnani and Fultz for me makes more sense than drafting Noel and Okafor. Even if you project them to be assets, which both didnt end up having that much value.

Just as Hinkie was the right GM for us during the early years. We need a fall guy to protect the ownership, and Hinkie took the hit for us. Analytics is our excuse to built that lousy roster and to keep pushing back picks.

While Brand is the right GM for us at this stage. The right person for that position is relative to time. What makes Brand perfect for our position is he doesn’t care about job security after probably the richest GM ever in league history and HE KNOWS BASKETBALL. AL for me is almost the perfect fit for the team, the only flaw is his age.

Sorry to get this thing sidetracked. Now back to your horford discussions.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,464

Post#249 » by Eyeamok » Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:50 pm

76ciology wrote:
Eyeamok wrote:
XtremeDunkz wrote:

Josh is really a good owner, for fans like me who has a championship or bust mentality. For me he’s the mastermind of “the process”. He has his fingerprint on this team from the day he bought the team. Taking his chances on Bynum, having that necessity to get a top 5 player to win a championship, taking his chances on Noel and Biid and etc.

Regarding hiring BC, it’s just BC is the right GM for us at that stage. Say what you want about BC, but he has very good relation with agents and people all around the league. It’s not like we hired Scott layden. BC was a 2x executive of the year in the league. Say what you want about Bargnani, but for me that move shows his great foresight to the direction of the game. Another player was Fultz, who was close to being the perfect PG in today’s game if he didn’t have that weird injury. Drafting Bargnani and Fultz for me makes more sense than drafting Noel and Okafor. Even if you project them to be assets, which both didnt end up having that much value.

Just as Hinkie was the right GM for us during the early years. We need a fall guy to protect the ownership, and Hinkie took the hit for us. Analytics is our excuse to built that lousy roster and to keep pushing back picks.

While Brand is the right GM for us at this stage. The right person for that position is relative to time. What makes Brand perfect for our position is he doesn’t care about job security after probably the richest GM ever in league history and HE KNOWS BASKETBALL. AL for me is almost the perfect fit for the team, the only flaw is his age.

We disagree but that's OK. Let's just keep this topic on Al Horford. And thank you for your response.
The Accession of Paul Reed is upon us !

Bring on the draft

You want it to be one way....but it's the other way.

Marlo
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,724

Post#250 » by 76ciology » Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:27 pm

Eyeamok wrote:
76ciology wrote:
Eyeamok wrote:

We disagree but that's OK. Let's just keep this topic on Al Horford. And thank you for your response.

Thanks also
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,292

Post#251 » by Arsenal » Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:54 pm

Negrodamus wrote:
Arsenal wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:I think a trade around Lou Williams for Josh Richardson is the trade we should be looking at. I don't know if the Clippers are interested in something like that, but the salaries are close. They get a younger defensive minded player that plays well off ball; we get a guard that changes the offense completely.

I like Lou, but I'm not trading Richardson for him. JRich is a better player and much younger.

The Sixers have essentially gone all in on winning in the next 4 years. Josh is a good player and had a very good game last night. Lou is much better on offense and an infinitely better fit. We can cover for Josh's absence.

I disagree. Lou means an exploitable defender which could compromise our switching scheme. He would be relentlessly targeted in the playoffs, just like Redick was in the past. JRich is a much better defender and not exploitable in that way.

And based on their ages, even if Lou is slightly better overall this year, that will change very soon, perhaps even in the next few months. And its all downhill for the aging Lou from there.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,147

Post#252 » by Kobblehead » Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:59 am

Good defenders get roasted in the playoffs, anyway. Great offense is indefensible and now even moreso than ever before with all the rules heavily favoring one side of the ball. Having a guy that can go on the ball and score from every level in the halfcourt is infinitely more valuable, imo.

Normally, you'd hate to have to cash in a great trade piece like Josh Richardson on a 33 year old scorer, but this is the stuff you have to do when your team throws a bunch of longterm money at non-stars.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers