The Ben Simmons Megathread - Part IV

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, Foshan, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

76ciology
RealGM
And1: 13,297

Re: The Ben Simmons Megathread - Part IV 

Post#561 » by 76ciology » Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:18 am

I was watching clips of Ben.

One thing I noticed is his ability to get anywhere, size and the nature of how he is being defended, he can be like a legal moving screen with the ball that makes him an elite screener for shooters. Think how Draymond Green sets screen but even more with the ball.

Most lethal action is when a center like Biid or Al is at the top of the key and both he and his man are sagged off, he can bring down the ball and do his handoff. Which works like almost all the time. But if you look at the numbers, we probably have 2 of the best shooting centers with Al and Biid.

If our guys can shoot better, his man has to stay close at him to challenge the shooter, this will open up his game.

Well, in theory.
“Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there is absolutely no point.”
mike76
Junior
And1: 311

Post#562 » by mike76 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:10 pm

76ciology wrote:I was watching clips of Ben.

One thing I noticed is his ability to get anywhere, size and the nature of how he is being defended, he can be like a legal moving screen with the ball that makes him an elite screener for shooters. Think how Draymond Green sets screen but even more with the ball.

Most lethal action is when a center like Biid or Al is at the top of the key and both he and his man are sagged off, he can bring down the ball and do his handoff. Which works like almost all the time. But if you look at the numbers, we probably have 2 of the best shooting centers with Al and Biid.

If our guys can shoot better, his man has to stay close at him to challenge the shooter, this will open up his game.

Well, in theory.

Both in theory and in practice.

DeAndre Jordan (non shooter) made a living with the Lob City Clippers as a devastating off ball screener for JJ Redick and an on ball screener for CP3. Allowed him to be a two-way asset in LA and earn a couple All-NBA awards along the way.

A lineup of CP3-JJ-LMAM (career non shooter barring one year in Houston) - Blake (bad shooter, didn't start taking 3s until after CP3 left) - DeAndre Jordan (non shooter) managed to have an offensive rating of 116 and a net rating of +14.4 in the 16-17 season

A Ben-Al-Joel frontcourt could really work on both offense and defense really well if you have a good pick n roll point guard and a guy who can shoot really well off of screens and you abandon the post up game.

But it does become clunky when Tobi becomes your SG and Josh becomes your PG and your plan A on offense is to post up Embiid with Al's man constantly sagging and recovering. Maybe Shake-Kork-Ben-Al-Joel could work together if Shake's offense as a lead ball handler is for real. But I don't know if Shake's offense is for real. A possible lineup that could help get Al some playoff minutes as a 4.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 13,297

Post#563 » by 76ciology » Wed Jul 1, 2020 5:11 pm

Most frequent assist combos in the league

Ben to Tobias 9th overall 2.6 assists per 36.

https://fansided.com/2020/07/01/nylon-calculus-zion-williamson-lonzo-ball-assist/
“Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there is absolutely no point.”

Return to Philadelphia 76ers