ImageImageImage

The Ben Simmons Megathread - Part IV

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

rzzzzz
Analyst
Posts: 3,126
And1: 921
Joined: Feb 21, 2015
 

Re: The Ben Simmons Megathread - Part IV 

Post#1021 » by rzzzzz » Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:44 pm

76ciology wrote:
Wilfried wrote:
rzzzzz wrote:https://sixerswire.usatoday.com/2020/10/17/sixers-star-ben-simmons-back-in-the-gym-working-on-his-jumper/

(at least it's a good off season activity that will only expose good intent.)


Recycled article from 2017, 2018 or 2019?


Not 2017. I believe it was the summer when he added 20lbs of muscle.


Wait, isn't the Dude standing behind him wearing a mask and a BLM shirt? so you're saying this article is a composite of an old story and a recent picture? i mean i don't know sixerswire/usa today well enough to know if they're in the business of fabricating stuff just for the clicks. certainly possible. admittedly, i didn't care about the sprightly reporting as much as the assertion of the leader. so I guess you're saying that Ben is not back in the gym right now working on his shot. that is disappointing.

so i guess this is another phonied up picture of Ben working out, put out by NBC Phila (as the lead seems to suggest, though their point is about another off season of workout may not prove a lot.)

https://sports.yahoo.com/picture-ben-simmons-training-fools-155837021.html
Young22
Sophomore
Posts: 136
And1: 34
Joined: Jun 23, 2018
         

Re: The Ben Simmons Megathread - Part IV 

Post#1022 » by Young22 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:00 pm

So where are you guys that was just bashing Jimmy for being in the gym? But Ben letting us know he’s working is a good thing? Lol momma always said if you don’t have anything good to say shut up, or something like that lol
User avatar
76ciology
RealGM
Posts: 44,144
And1: 13,867
Joined: Jun 06, 2002
Contact:

Re: The Ben Simmons Megathread - Part IV 

Post#1023 » by 76ciology » Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:13 pm

Young22 wrote:So where are you guys that was just bashing Jimmy for being in the gym? But Ben letting us know he’s working is a good thing? Lol momma always said if you don’t have anything good to say shut up, or something like that lol


What can you say about our team’s FO?
“Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there is absolutely no point.”
User avatar
76ciology
RealGM
Posts: 44,144
And1: 13,867
Joined: Jun 06, 2002
Contact:

Re: The Ben Simmons Megathread - Part IV 

Post#1024 » by 76ciology » Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:15 pm

rzzzzz wrote:
76ciology wrote:
Wilfried wrote:
Recycled article from 2017, 2018 or 2019?


Not 2017. I believe it was the summer when he added 20lbs of muscle.


Wait, isn't the Dude standing behind him wearing a mask and a BLM shirt? so you're saying this article is a composite of an old story and a recent picture? i mean i don't know sixerswire/usa today well enough to know if they're in the business of fabricating stuff just for the clicks. certainly possible. admittedly, i didn't care about the sprightly reporting as much as the assertion of the leader. so I guess you're saying that Ben is not back in the gym right now working on his shot. that is disappointing.

so i guess this is another phonied up picture of Ben working out, put out by NBC Phila (as the lead seems to suggest, though their point is about another off season of workout may not prove a lot.)

https://sports.yahoo.com/picture-ben-simmons-training-fools-155837021.html


To be fair, i think this is the season where we go under the radar then surprises everyone. This includes Ben.
“Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there is absolutely no point.”
User avatar
76ciology
RealGM
Posts: 44,144
And1: 13,867
Joined: Jun 06, 2002
Contact:

Re: The Ben Simmons Megathread - Part IV 

Post#1025 » by 76ciology » Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:23 pm

Read on Twitter


:lol: :lol: :lol:
“Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there is absolutely no point.”
Young22
Sophomore
Posts: 136
And1: 34
Joined: Jun 23, 2018
         

Re: The Ben Simmons Megathread - Part IV 

Post#1026 » by Young22 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:12 am

76ciology wrote:
Young22 wrote:So where are you guys that was just bashing Jimmy for being in the gym? But Ben letting us know he’s working is a good thing? Lol momma always said if you don’t have anything good to say shut up, or something like that lol


What can you say about our team’s FO?



They screwed themselves, should have fired Brett after the first Celtics series loss. Nobody was coming to play for the AAU coach we had in Brett Brown. They let loyalty get in the way of success. IMHO
User avatar
76ciology
RealGM
Posts: 44,144
And1: 13,867
Joined: Jun 06, 2002
Contact:

Re: The Ben Simmons Megathread - Part IV 

Post#1027 » by 76ciology » Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:14 am

Young22 wrote:
76ciology wrote:
Young22 wrote:So where are you guys that was just bashing Jimmy for being in the gym? But Ben letting us know he’s working is a good thing? Lol momma always said if you don’t have anything good to say shut up, or something like that lol


What can you say about our team’s FO?



They screwed themselves, should have fired Brett after the first Celtics series loss. Nobody was coming to play for the AAU coach we had in Brett Brown. They let loyalty get in the way of success. IMHO


A wise man once said..
Young22 wrote:momma always said if you don’t have anything good to say shut up, or something like that lol


..btw, I agree with what you said about firing Brett 8-)
“Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there is absolutely no point.”
youngcrev
RealGM
Posts: 22,566
And1: 4,696
Joined: Jun 12, 2005
Location: Philadelphia(ish)
   

Re: The Ben Simmons Megathread - Part IV 

Post#1028 » by youngcrev » Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:03 pm

The Athletic did a tiered ranking of the top-125 players in the NBA. Simmons was placed in the 17-25 tier (ahead of guys like Beal, Kyrie, Mitchell, Booker and Pascal).

Presumably Embiid will be in the next tier they release.
User avatar
ProcessDoctor
Head Coach
Posts: 6,105
And1: 2,353
Joined: Jul 02, 2006
   

Re: The Ben Simmons Megathread - Part IV 

Post#1029 » by ProcessDoctor » Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:13 pm

Ironically, his perceived ranking by media outlets is much higher than this board's (and RealGM in general). I remember Woj calling him and Jo two top-15 players when he was discussing the Doc hire.
2020-2021 Philadelphia 76ers:

Simmons/Milton/Maxey
Curry/Korkmaz/Joe
Green/Thybulle/Ferguson
Harris/Scott/Reed
Embiid/Howard/Bradley
eyeatoma
RealGM
Posts: 13,276
And1: 1,889
Joined: Feb 25, 2005
Location: An Indian in Indonesia
     

Re: The Ben Simmons Megathread - Part IV 

Post#1030 » by eyeatoma » Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:08 pm

youngcrev wrote:The Athletic did a tiered ranking of the top-125 players in the NBA. Simmons was placed in the 17-25 tier (ahead of guys like Beal, Kyrie, Mitchell, Booker and Pascal).

Presumably Embiid will be in the next tier they release.


I'd say that's might be a little unfair, but could see the argument. I think defensively he is so good that it launches him from 10-17. I'd say Embiid is anywhere between 8-12
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 45,139
And1: 9,546
Joined: Feb 07, 2005
Location: Parts Unknown
   

Re: The Ben Simmons Megathread - Part IV 

Post#1031 » by Stanford » Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:34 pm

eyeatoma wrote:
youngcrev wrote:The Athletic did a tiered ranking of the top-125 players in the NBA. Simmons was placed in the 17-25 tier (ahead of guys like Beal, Kyrie, Mitchell, Booker and Pascal).

Presumably Embiid will be in the next tier they release.


I'd say that's might be a little unfair, but could see the argument. I think defensively he is so good that it launches him from 10-17. I'd say Embiid is anywhere between 8-12


17-25 is fair for Ben. 17 is probably generous, 25 is probably too low. Embiid should be just outside the top ten. Seems right.
Image
youngcrev
RealGM
Posts: 22,566
And1: 4,696
Joined: Jun 12, 2005
Location: Philadelphia(ish)
   

Re: The Ben Simmons Megathread - Part IV 

Post#1032 » by youngcrev » Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:01 am

eyeatoma wrote:
youngcrev wrote:The Athletic did a tiered ranking of the top-125 players in the NBA. Simmons was placed in the 17-25 tier (ahead of guys like Beal, Kyrie, Mitchell, Booker and Pascal).

Presumably Embiid will be in the next tier they release.


I'd say that's might be a little unfair, but could see the argument. I think defensively he is so good that it launches him from 10-17. I'd say Embiid is anywhere between 8-12


Really? I was kinda surprised by some of the names he's ahead of, and I'm not really sure what his argument would be over any of the guys in the tier ahead of him.

My guess would be the next tiers will be something like:

Tier 2:
A (14-16) Chris Paul, Paul George, Rudy Gobert
B (9-13) Embiid, Tatum, Butler, Durant (due to injury), Jokic

Tier 1:
A (4-8): Harden, Doncic, Lillard, Davis, Curry
B: (1-3): Lebron, Giannis, Kawhi

Edit:
Actual results of how tier 2 turned out:
(13-16): Chris Paul, Paul George, Gobert, Tatum
(10-12): Embiid, Butler, Lillard
(7-9): Davis, Jokic, Doncic
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
Posts: 15,557
And1: 1,294
Joined: Mar 17, 2004

Re: The Ben Simmons Megathread - Part IV 

Post#1033 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:19 am

Yeah...Ben is easily top 20 player in this league. He'll vault his way into the top 10 if he can improve his scoring/shooting. It'd be stupid to trade either him or Embiid at this time. Both players are still ascending.
Kobblehead
RealGM
Posts: 31,337
And1: 13,044
Joined: Apr 15, 2010
 

Re: The Ben Simmons Megathread - Part IV 

Post#1034 » by Kobblehead » Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:23 pm

When we really thing about it, Simmons actually is a phenomenal piece.

A+ level defender
A+ level passer

And he's a 6'10" 235 pound coordinated athlete.

He really just is some added scoring aggression away from being among the best players in the sport.
User avatar
Sixersftw
RealGM
Posts: 14,201
And1: 4,905
Joined: Dec 23, 2006
       

Re: The Ben Simmons Megathread - Part IV 

Post#1035 » by Sixersftw » Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:27 pm

Kobblehead wrote:When we really thing about it, Simmons actually is a phenomenal piece.

A+ level defender
A+ level passer

And he's a 6'10" 235 pound coordinated athlete.

He really just is some added scoring aggression away from being among the best players in the sport.

Nothing pisses off a Philadelphian more. A world class player that is1-2 tools away and are either dispassionate or even keeled. Iguodala, McNabb, Abreu and on and on. I feel bad for Ben because the crowd will turn if those go to moves or 3pter range never develop.
They say an analytics man doesn't have a heart, but I ran the numbers and nothing can be further from the truth - Sam Hinkie probably
SixthStreet
Junior
Posts: 464
And1: 249
Joined: May 31, 2018
       

Re: The Ben Simmons Megathread - Part IV 

Post#1036 » by SixthStreet » Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:14 am

Which is more likely: Ben shooting moderate volume 3s or significantly ramping up his attempts at the rim? Him shooting more at the rim is much more important I think. He's high efficiency at the rim mainly because he limits himself to easy shots and dunks where he doesn't think he's going to be fouled. To me, he's got to get more aggressive and less selective with his in close shot attempts and if he does I'll be fine if he doesn't shoot 3s. That's the place I'd rather see his scoring volume go up from.
ConstableChaos
Sophomore
Posts: 101
And1: 43
Joined: Nov 08, 2018

Re: The Ben Simmons Megathread - Part IV 

Post#1037 » by ConstableChaos » Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:23 am

Ideally he's top 10 in FTA (Zion was 10th last season at 7.42), and shooting them at a >70% clip.
User avatar
76ciology
RealGM
Posts: 44,144
And1: 13,867
Joined: Jun 06, 2002
Contact:

Re: The Ben Simmons Megathread - Part IV 

Post#1038 » by 76ciology » Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:12 am

SixthStreet wrote:Which is more likely: Ben shooting moderate volume 3s or significantly ramping up his attempts at the rim? Him shooting more at the rim is much more important I think. He's high efficiency at the rim mainly because he limits himself to easy shots and dunks where he doesn't think he's going to be fouled. To me, he's got to get more aggressive and less selective with his in close shot attempts and if he does I'll be fine if he doesn't shoot 3s. That's the place I'd rather see his scoring volume go up from.


The numbers may say otherwise, but on eyetest.. he isn’t that good at finishing around the rim on halfcourt. That is also the problem. He doesnt have that freakish length of a Giannis or the around the rim touch of maybe LeBron to be an elite scorer around the rim.

Considering everything (style, demeanor and etc), he’s likely to be more well rounded. Like he’s going to attempt some 3s, some mid range and mostly paint shots specially on transition. Which may be a better scenario than just focusing on one aspect too much.
“Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there is absolutely no point.”
User avatar
76ciology
RealGM
Posts: 44,144
And1: 13,867
Joined: Jun 06, 2002
Contact:

Re: The Ben Simmons Megathread - Part IV 

Post#1039 » by 76ciology » Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:15 am

ConstableChaos wrote:Ideally he's top 10 in FTA (Zion was 10th last season at 7.42), and shooting them at a >70% clip.


Possible if Ben spend more time at the paint. But you then hurt Biid’s game and won’t maximize his guard skills.

And honestly, if you wants him to play like Amare Stoudamire as a roll man or DeAndre Jordan at the dunker spot waiting for lobs, then you might as well trade Ben and find cheaper guys who can play those limited roles.
“Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there is absolutely no point.”
Filthadelphia
Junior
Posts: 462
And1: 630
Joined: Jan 04, 2017
       

Re: The Ben Simmons Megathread - Part IV 

Post#1040 » by Filthadelphia » Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:42 pm

76ciology wrote:
SixthStreet wrote:Which is more likely: Ben shooting moderate volume 3s or significantly ramping up his attempts at the rim? Him shooting more at the rim is much more important I think. He's high efficiency at the rim mainly because he limits himself to easy shots and dunks where he doesn't think he's going to be fouled. To me, he's got to get more aggressive and less selective with his in close shot attempts and if he does I'll be fine if he doesn't shoot 3s. That's the place I'd rather see his scoring volume go up from.


The numbers may say otherwise, but on eyetest.. he isn’t that good at finishing around the rim on halfcourt. That is also the problem. He doesnt have that freakish length of a Giannis or the around the rim touch of maybe LeBron to be an elite scorer around the rim.

Considering everything (style, demeanor and etc), he’s likely to be more well rounded. Like he’s going to attempt some 3s, some mid range and mostly paint shots specially on transition. Which may be a better scenario than just focusing on one aspect too much.

You post so frequently...yet ur still out to lunch.
Read on Twitter
AVATAR BET W RAPS FANS: Sixers beat Raps in 2018 playoffs
-binjumper
-And1+2

Return to Philadelphia 76ers