ImageImageImage

The Ben Simmons Megathread - Part IV

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

agiaco
Analyst
And1: 1,126

Re: The Ben Simmons Megathread - Part IV 

Post#181 » by agiaco » Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:28 am

Ben's an elite defender and passer and now proving when he stays aggressive his scoring is top-notch just with getting to the hoop. Trading him would be a big mistake.
pickprotection
Sophomore
And1: 44

Post#182 » by pickprotection » Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:14 am

WestGOAT wrote:
Arsenal wrote:
WestGOAT wrote:The 76ers are in a tough spot, and pickprotection does raise some valid points concerning Embiid's shortcomings, in particular about his lack of professionality and his fitness issues. I don't think anyone believes Embiid's body will hold up long-term term, and while he is defintely the more impactful player than Simmons at the moment, I can understand why the front office of the 76ers would prefer Simmons over him.

Wrong. The front office prefers to keep BOTH Simmons and Embiid. As does anyone with an ounce of sense.

I don't know what the FO is thinking, no one here really knows. That's why I wrote "would", and considering the Horford signing it does suggest they are not fully confident in Embiid's health moving forward.

signing a perfect fit center for simmons in horford and paying him 30 mil per year going forward and keeping ben's best friend tobias instead of jimmy is a clear indication that the front office values simmons over embiid.

hopefully they get a star wing/guard like beal for embiid in a trade this summer.
phifans
Veteran
And1: 586

Post#183 » by phifans » Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:20 am

WestGOAT wrote:
Arsenal wrote:
WestGOAT wrote:The 76ers are in a tough spot, and pickprotection does raise some valid points concerning Embiid's shortcomings, in particular about his lack of professionality and his fitness issues. I don't think anyone believes Embiid's body will hold up long-term term, and while he is defintely the more impactful player than Simmons at the moment, I can understand why the front office of the 76ers would prefer Simmons over him.

Wrong. The front office prefers to keep BOTH Simmons and Embiid. As does anyone with an ounce of sense.

I don't know what the FO is thinking, no one here really knows. That's why I wrote "would", and considering the Horford signing it does suggest they are not fully confident in Embiid's health moving forward.

You are not confident in Joel's health so you decide to sign a 33 years old declining veteran center as a long term insurance ? Sorry I don't see the logic here.
VDT
Analyst
And1: 2,106

Post#184 » by VDT » Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:53 am

pickprotection wrote:
WestGOAT wrote:
Arsenal wrote:

signing a perfect fit center for simmons in horford and paying him 30 mil per year going forward and keeping ben's best friend tobias instead of jimmy is a clear indication that the front office values simmons over embiid.

hopefully they get a star wing/guard like beal for embiid in a trade this summer.

Horford is not the perfect center because he is too expensive for what he is doing and he is also declining.

The team also cant build around Simmons, at least for now, because he is a flawed player.

Simmons has been more aggressive, which is good, but i still have doubts about his ability to generate good shots in the half court. He needs to continue being aggressive because it helps the team and helps him improve. It is hard to say right now how good he will become because he has some flaws, but continuing playing more aggressively will give the team a better idea about what to expect from him.
WestGOAT
Starter
And1: 3,287

Post#185 » by WestGOAT » Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:00 am

phifans wrote:
WestGOAT wrote:
Arsenal wrote:

You are not confident in Joel's health so you decide to sign a 33 years old declining veteran center as a long term insurance ? Sorry I don't see the logic here.

I also don't see much logic in signing Horford to such a big contract, but why else would they sign him then? Like you said he plays best as center.
spotted in Bologna
pickprotection
Sophomore

Post#186 » by pickprotection » Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:00 am

VDT wrote:
pickprotection wrote:
WestGOAT wrote:

Horford is not the perfect center because he is too expensive for what he is doing and he is also declining.

The team also cant build around Simmons, at least for now, because he is a flawed player.

Simmons has been more aggressive, which is good, but i still have doubts about his ability to generate good shots in the half court. He needs to continue being aggressive because it helps the team and helps him improve. It is hard to say right now how good he will become because he has some flaws, but continuing playing more aggressively will give the team a better idea about what to expect from him.

embiid is more flawed than simmons. he can't shoot well, he can't roll, he can't pass, he can't dribble, he can't score efficiently unless he is getting bailed out by the refs, he gets shut down by any decent defensive center with good iq even when they are old and declining (gasol, horford, etc.).

simmons has one flaw which he was born with and that is shooting touch and that is easily mitigated if you play a stretch 5 next to him so he can dominate the paint.

embiid enough basketball flaws to give you pause let alone his worst in the league injury history to go along with it. It's time to pick a direction and trade him for a guard/wing who is an all-star this summer so this team makes sense.

we aren't winning anything with embiid so might as well pick another more sustainable direction that doesn't have us tied to embiid 's health. does anyone on this sub really believe embiid is going to have a long career?
VDT
Analyst
And1: 2,106

Post#187 » by VDT » Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:10 am

pickprotection wrote:
VDT wrote:
pickprotection wrote:

embiid is more flawed than simmons. he can't shoot well, he can't roll, he can't pass, he can't dribble, he can't score efficiently unless he is getting bailed out by the refs, he gets shut down by any decent defensive center with good iq even when they are old and declining (gasol, horford, etc.).

simmons has one flaw which he was born with and that is shooting touch and that is easily mitigated if you play a stretch 5 next to him so he can dominate the paint.

embiid enough basketball flaws to give you pause let alone his worst in the league injury history to go along with it. It's time to pick a direction and trade him for a guard/wing who is an all-star this summer so this team makes sense.

we aren't winning anything with embiid so might as well pick another more sustainable direction that doesn't have us tied to embiid 's health. does anyone on this sub really believe embiid is going to have a long career?

Embiid is pretty skilled (and probably the most well rounded) for his position. More importantly he can be dominant offensively and is able t draw double teams constantly.

The problem with Simmons is not just his shooting. I am sceptical about his scoring in general. If you want to score only in the paint you'd better be dominant there and Simmons hasnt shown me that dominance. He is like Giannis but less strong, much less aggressive, shorter and not nearly as long. So Giannis without the main things that make Giannis what he is. You cant build around someone that needs to be assisted and cant score at high volume. It is good that he is aggressive but he needs to become much better if he expects the team to build around him.
phifans
Veteran

Post#188 » by phifans » Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:12 am

WestGOAT wrote:
phifans wrote:
WestGOAT wrote:

I also don't see much logic in signing Horford to such a big contract, but why else would they sign him then? Like you said he plays best as center.

To make sure he is no longer a threat to Joel and add another weapon for defending Giannis.

The issue here is our stupid FO-Coach do believe big Al can handle PF. LoL.
pickprotection
Sophomore

Post#189 » by pickprotection » Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:24 am

horford + simmons > embiid + simmons
kuclas
General Manager
And1: 3,905

Post#190 » by kuclas » Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:03 am

pickprotection wrote:horford + simmons > embiid + simmons

Embiid>> (any combination you can think off)

The only question with embiid and it’s huge question is his health.

You are right in that I would trade embiid simply because he get a lot in return. Someone from the ringer suggested sixers trade embiid to the La clippers cause they need a true 5 to go with Paul George and Leonard. It’s an interesting trade they suggested. But sixers need a lot of parts/roll players. That crazy trade may make both teams better. Cause salaries would make.

Sure if embiid stays healthy. Him with the clippers may win the next 2-3 nba titles with Leonard and George. . But he’s not gonna to win an nba title in Philadelphia with Ben Simmons. Their style is not a good fit.
pickprotection
Sophomore

Post#191 » by pickprotection » Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:20 am

kuclas wrote:

You are right in that I would trade embiid simply because he get a lot in return. Someone from the ringer suggested sixers trade embiid to the La clippers cause they need a true 5 to go with Paul George and Leonard. It’s an interesting trade they suggested. But sixers need a lot of parts/roll players. That crazy trade may make both teams better. Cause salaries would make.

Sure if embiid stays healthy. Him with the clippers may win the next 2-3 nba titles with Leonard and George. . But he’s not gonna to win an nba title in Philadelphia with Ben Simmons. Their style is not a good fit.

I think its pretty clear like you said the simmons embiid pairing wont maximize either and wont maximize the team compared to alternatives. What i dont agree with is putting the franchise in the hands of a player with possibly the biggest injury issues in the league.

I want piece of mind and an Embiid for a wing or guard will balance the team, maximize simmons, and bring more reliability going forward.

Even the biggest embiid optimists realize hes one reinjury away from being out of the league. I say lets sell high like colangelos burners said.

By the way colangelos buddies still run the team in rucker eversely and ned cohen along with brand who is loyal to jerry colangelo. They are all on the ben is greater than embiid wave.
kuclas
General Manager
And1: 3,905

Post#192 » by kuclas » Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:27 am

pickprotection wrote:
kuclas wrote:

I think its pretty clear like you said the simmons embiid pairing wont maximize either and wont maximize the team compared to alternatives. What i dont agree with is putting the franchise in the hands of a player with possibly the biggest injury issues in the league.

I want piece of mind and an Embiid for a wing or guard will balance the team, maximize simmons, and bring more reliability going forward.

Even the biggest embiid optimists realize hes one reinjury away from being out of the league. I say lets sell high like colangelos burners said.

By the way colangelos buddies still run the team in rucker eversely and ned cohen along with brand who is loyal to jerry colangelo. They are all on the ben is greater than embiid wave.

That’s why you trade embiid to the west coast. I love the idea of embiid either on golden state or even the La clippers.

FO should make it happen.

You roll the dice.

Wizards want to dump wall contract before Beal. Beal for embiid makes no sense cause you are trading within the division. This isn’t like the fultz Celtics deal. Two establish stars similar ages don’t get traded within the same division.
elchengue20
Sixth Man
And1: 1,496

Post#193 » by elchengue20 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:29 am

nurseryc wrote:
elchengue20 wrote:Perfect time to trade him while his trade value is as high as it will ever be.

Why would you trade one of the best talents in the league. We should build around him and go all in with Ben

Because he's a nice player to have in the regular season, postseason is another story. Game slows down and he gets shut down easily. Plus he lacks passion and competitive spirit.

He's a poor mans Giannis, worse defensively, worse shooter, worse finisher, slighty better passer. He's not a player you can build a championship team around. He will never learn to shoot, his potential is capped.

I would definitively trade him now while his trade value is high. I'm sure there is some GM's that will give a lot for him.
PLO
Analyst
And1: 1,305

Post#194 » by PLO » Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:32 am

elchengue20 wrote:
nurseryc wrote:
elchengue20 wrote:Perfect time to trade him while his trade value is as high as it will ever be.

Why would you trade one of the best talents in the league. We should build around him and go all in with Ben

Because he's a nice player to have in the regular season, postseason is another story. Game slows down and he gets shut down easily. Plus he lacks passion and competitive spirit.

He's a poor mans Giannis, worse defensively, worse shooter, worse finisher, slighty better passer. He's not a player you can build a championship team around. He will never learn to shoot, his potential is capped.

I would definitively trade him now while his trade value is high. I'm sure there is some GM's that will give a lot for him.

That's quite a few wrong takes there in just the one post. Kudos.
LakersDynasty14 wrote:Lonzo Ball is literally on a Hall of Fame trajectory at this point. This thread is so full of fail.

shakes0 wrote:I hope they put Simmons on Trae. He'll foul him out by the 3rd quarter. plus Simmons can't stay in front of Trae. No one can.
pickprotection
Sophomore

Post#195 » by pickprotection » Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:44 am

elchengue20 wrote:
nurseryc wrote:

What has embiid proven in the playoffs?

He gut shut down and outplayed by gasol and horford both declining centers on their last legs and that was in the 2nd round and has no sign of improving his low iq, bad passing and bad decision making.

His stock is going down and simmons stock is going up. Sell while embiid still has value because the next injury might kill the rest of his trade value.
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,474

Post#196 » by youngcrev » Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:45 am

:lol:

Ben is in the middle of a great stretch, and we've got one guy going "trade him while his value is high!" (Pretty much impossible to trade him at the moment due to the restrictions surrounding his extension) and another one going "build around him and trade Embiid!"

Can't we just have some nice things? How about we build around them both? Go get as much shooting as you can find and a playmaking guard.
elchengue20
Sixth Man
And1: 1,496

Post#197 » by elchengue20 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:50 am

pickprotection wrote:
elchengue20 wrote:
nurseryc wrote:

What has embiid proven in the playoffs?

He gut shut down and outplayed by gasol and horford both declining centers on their last legs and that was in the 2nd round and has no sign of improving his low iq, bad passing and bad decision making.

His stock is going down and simmons stock is going up. Sell while embiid still has value because the next injury might kill the rest of his trade value.

Maybe you're right, i would trade Simmons first and give Embiid another chance in the playoffs. If he can't get it done we can trade him too.

Embiid still has the potential to be an alpha or beta dog in a Championship Team. Simmons will never be and it's too dificult to build a team around him. People say he's only 23 but he's exactly the same player than in his rookie season, he won't get much better than this.
phifans
Veteran

Post#198 » by phifans » Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:55 am

youngcrev wrote::lol:

Ben is in the middle of a great stretch, and we've got one guy going "trade him while his value is high!" (Pretty much impossible to trade him at the moment due to the restrictions surrounding his extension) and another one going "build around him and trade Embiid!"

Can't we just have some nice things? How about we build around them both? Go get as much shooting as you can find and a playmaking guard.

Or we trade both of them and build around Tobi and Al and make everyone here happy.:lol:
PLO
Analyst
And1: 1,305

Post#199 » by PLO » Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:56 am

What has Giannis proved in the playoffs? Nothing. If we're talking about a player who is a regular season guy its him.
LakersDynasty14 wrote:Lonzo Ball is literally on a Hall of Fame trajectory at this point. This thread is so full of fail.

shakes0 wrote:I hope they put Simmons on Trae. He'll foul him out by the 3rd quarter. plus Simmons can't stay in front of Trae. No one can.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,563

Post#200 » by 76ciology » Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:26 am

76ciology wrote:I dont like Ben Simmons. But I love this team.

And for me, Biid has to adjust for Ben and this will be better for him and the team.

Biid has to play more off ball, less post ups and most spot ups. Think KAT on offense. Then funnel all the saved energy on offense to defense.

The key to win the championship is Ben. If we can make him a 20ppg scorer, for me championship is a near cakewalk.

Thanks for re-affirming this Ben.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers