The Ben Simmons Megathread - Part IV

Lou_23
Bench Warmer
And1: 725

Re: The Ben Simmons Megathread - Part IV 

Post#701 » by Lou_23 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:48 pm

eagereyez wrote:
76ciology wrote:
Bum Adebayo wrote:At the end of the day, It doesn't really matter if Simmons holds Embiid back or not. The biggest issue has always been Brett, nothing we do will matter all that much unless we get a better coach, we would basically need to be a more talented version of the prime Warriors to win a title.

If you are the coach, what would you have done?
There isn't much a coach can do with Simmons and Embiid. Neither of them can close out games. Both of them are paint dominant. It is a really bad fit and a good GM would have nipped this experiment in the bud a few years ago. The people who want to run this experiment into the ground before calling it good are the same ones who wanted to wait and see with Noel and Okafor. If you want to get a good return in the NBA, then you gotta see things before everyone else. You gotta see that MCW is fools gold, that Harris is going to get massively overpaid, etc. As a GM, you need to have foresight and the Sixers haven't had that since 2016.

Yeah, trade one of them like Moses Malone, Charles Barkley or Allen Iverson and we will be a fantastic team. The stars are the problem.

The last time this stupid franchise won 50 games in a row, Julius Erving was playing. But yeah, the problem is Embiid and Simmons, and not the terrible roster construction and the people around them.

Fire Brand, fire Brown, and hire competent people.
Bum Adebayo
General Manager
And1: 4,009

Post#702 » by Bum Adebayo » Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:52 pm

Yeah, to win with Brett Brown you would need all three of the top 3 players in the league, along with good role players. He is that bad.
Why not fire him first and then worry later about roster construction?
Great takes since 2024-04-20
nurseryc
Analyst
And1: 1,236

Post#703 » by nurseryc » Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:04 pm

Now it explains why Simmons didn’t look himself in his last 3 games.
AdonalFoyle4Prez
Analyst
And1: 363

Post#704 » by AdonalFoyle4Prez » Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:05 pm

Andrew Wiggins + Eric Pashcall + Jordan Poole + 2020 top 5 1st round pick for Simmons + Horford?
eagereyez
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,462

Post#705 » by eagereyez » Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:07 pm

Lou_23 wrote:
eagereyez wrote:
76ciology wrote:
If you are the coach, what would you have done?
There isn't much a coach can do with Simmons and Embiid. Neither of them can close out games. Both of them are paint dominant. It is a really bad fit and a good GM would have nipped this experiment in the bud a few years ago. The people who want to run this experiment into the ground before calling it good are the same ones who wanted to wait and see with Noel and Okafor. If you want to get a good return in the NBA, then you gotta see things before everyone else. You gotta see that MCW is fools gold, that Harris is going to get massively overpaid, etc. As a GM, you need to have foresight and the Sixers haven't had that since 2016.

Yeah, trade one of them like Moses Malone, Charles Barkley or Allen Iverson and we will be a fantastic team. The stars are the problem.

The last time this stupid franchise won 50 games in a row, Julius Erving was playing. But yeah, the problem is Embiid and Simmons, and not the terrible roster construction and the people around them.

The bad fit between Embiid and Simmons is the best example of the terrible roster construction. Replace Simmons with an above average 3 pt. shooter and suddenly the Horford/Embiid front court isn't so bad. To make a team with Simmons and Embiid work, you have to surround them with high efficiency and high volume 3 pt shooters. Also, one of those players has to function as a PG in the half-court and close out games. The Sixers were close to this set-up with Redick, Butler, and Harris.

It is going to be extremely hard to replace Redick and Butler. All we can do is pray that Simmons develops a jumper, one of the young guys develops into a 3 pt. bombing star, or that the Sixers miraculously fleece someone in a trade. I guess a new coach could convince the other 29 teams to play like it's 1991. Or a new GM could appeal to the league to rescind the Horford contract. If the Sixers do hire a new coach and GM, they will have an impossible mess to fix.
AdonalFoyle4Prez
Analyst

Post#706 » by AdonalFoyle4Prez » Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:10 pm

eagereyez wrote:
Lou_23 wrote:
eagereyez wrote:There isn't much a coach can do with Simmons and Embiid. Neither of them can close out games. Both of them are paint dominant. It is a really bad fit and a good GM would have nipped this experiment in the bud a few years ago. The people who want to run this experiment into the ground before calling it good are the same ones who wanted to wait and see with Noel and Okafor. If you want to get a good return in the NBA, then you gotta see things before everyone else. You gotta see that MCW is fools gold, that Harris is going to get massively overpaid, etc. As a GM, you need to have foresight and the Sixers haven't had that since 2016.

The bad fit between Embiid and Simmons is the best example of the terrible roster construction. Replace Simmons with an above average 3 pt. shooter and suddenly the Horford/Embiid front court isn't so bad. To make a team with Simmons and Embiid work, you have to surround them with high efficiency and high volume 3 pt shooters. Also, one of those players has to function as a PG in the half-court and close out games. The Sixers were close to this set-up with Redick, Butler, and Harris.

It is going to be extremely hard to replace Redick and Butler. All we can do is pray that Simmons develops a jumper, one of the young guys develops into a 3 pt. bombing star, or that the Sixers miraculously fleece someone in a trade. I guess a new coach could convince the other 29 teams to play like it's 1991. Or a new GM could appeal to the league to rescind the Horford contract. If the Sixers do hire a new coach and GM, they will have an impossible mess to fix.

Are you sure about not being a good fit? Your posters on here want both Simmons and Embiid, long-term, last time I checked.
elchengue20
Sixth Man
And1: 1,494

Post#707 » by elchengue20 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:11 pm

We drafted two very good players who don't fit together. I don't understand people stubbornness to keep them togheter, just trade one of them and move on. If you want to win a championship fit is as important as talent.

We also have to fire Brett, but that's another story.
eagereyez
Lead Assistant

Post#708 » by eagereyez » Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:12 pm

AdonalFoyle4Prez wrote:
eagereyez wrote:
Lou_23 wrote:Yeah, trade one of them like Moses Malone, Charles Barkley or Allen Iverson and we will be a fantastic team. The stars are the problem.

Are you sure about not being a good fit? Your posters on here want both Simmons and Embiid, long-term, last time I checked.

I think the odds of the Embiid/Simmons pair winning a championship are really low. Plenty of other posters disagree with me, but I suspect more people will come around to that view as time passes by.
AdonalFoyle4Prez
Analyst

Post#709 » by AdonalFoyle4Prez » Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:15 pm

eagereyez wrote:
AdonalFoyle4Prez wrote:
eagereyez wrote:

I think the odds of the Embiid/Simmons pair winning a championship are really low. Plenty of other posters disagree with me, but I suspect more people will come around to that view as time passes by.

My proposed trade from a few posts:

Wiggins + Paschall + Poole + 2020 top 5 draft pick for Simmons + Horford

Exchange one bad contract for another? I actually like Wiggins contribution through 12 games so far with the Warriors because of the coaching. Not sure how it'll translate coming to 76ers, though.
ProcessDoctor
RealGM
And1: 5,194

Post#710 » by ProcessDoctor » Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:17 pm

AdonalFoyle4Prez wrote:
eagereyez wrote:
AdonalFoyle4Prez wrote:

Wiggins + Paschall + Jordan + 2020 top 5 draft pick for Simmons + Horford

Exchange one bad contract for another? I actually like Wiggins contribution through 12 games so far with the Warriors because of the coaching. Not sure how it'll translate coming to 76ers, though.

2023-2024 Philadelphia 76ers:

Lowry/Melton/Payne
Maxey/Hield/Downtin
Oubre/Batum/Council
Harris/Covington/Martin
Embiid/Reed/Bamba
eagereyez
Lead Assistant

Post#711 » by eagereyez » Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:17 pm

AdonalFoyle4Prez wrote:
eagereyez wrote:
AdonalFoyle4Prez wrote:

That trade offer would get you banned in most fantasy leagues.
AdonalFoyle4Prez
Analyst

Post#712 » by AdonalFoyle4Prez » Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:23 pm

eagereyez wrote:
AdonalFoyle4Prez wrote:
eagereyez wrote:

That trade offer would get you banned in most fantasy leagues.

Haha, I guess I wouldn't be a good GM then. How about throwing in Minny's 2021 1st round pick instead (A deeper draft class)?

Who did you guys had in mind around the league (That's actually fair)?
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,107

Post#713 » by Kobblehead » Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:26 pm

If we're taking on Wiggins, we gotta be offloading Harris.
ProcessDoctor
RealGM

Post#714 » by ProcessDoctor » Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:35 pm

Golden State was a good trading partner before trading away DLO. I really have no interest in dealing with them unless it's a 3-way.

Lowry/Melton/Payne
Maxey/Hield/Downtin
Oubre/Batum/Council
Harris/Covington/Martin
Embiid/Reed/Bamba
VDT
Analyst
And1: 2,106

Post#715 » by VDT » Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:37 pm

AdonalFoyle4Prez wrote:
eagereyez wrote:
AdonalFoyle4Prez wrote:

If the Sixers trade Simmons and keep Embiid they would want win now pieces, not Wiggins or a pick.

Beyond that the trade is terrible value-wise.
sixers4real
Veteran
And1: 1,895

Post#716 » by sixers4real » Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:24 am

I don't really care about this season anymore. Get well Ben Simmons, we will need you healthy at the start of next season.
Sixers fan since 2001. From Russia.
TheBallsDeeper
Starter
And1: 2,114

Post#717 » by TheBallsDeeper » Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:38 am

Simmons needs an ultimatum - commit to spending the next few months working on shooting with your correct hand, or you're traded to the highest bidder. Maybe the threat of playing the next few years in somewhere like Clevland will get his ego in check.

Unfortunately Brown and Brand don't have the stones to do it.
ProcessDoctor
RealGM

Post#718 » by ProcessDoctor » Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:38 pm

Simmons needs to spend all summer watching film of prime Blake Griffin. Playing a similar style will optimize his talents and value on a championship team.

Lowry/Melton/Payne
Maxey/Hield/Downtin
Oubre/Batum/Council
Harris/Covington/Martin
Embiid/Reed/Bamba
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,107

Post#719 » by Kobblehead » Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:55 pm

He needs to bulk up like prime Blake, then.

Blake was a 260 pound bull.

Simmons is a sleek 235, dripping wet.
Bum Adebayo
General Manager
And1: 4,009

Post#720 » by Bum Adebayo » Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:05 pm

Simmons has the body type to put a lot of weight, I just don't know if he has the work ethic though, maybe he just needs a better coach or personal trainer that is in his ears constantly.
Great takes since 2024-04-20

Return to Philadelphia 76ers