ImageImageImage

If the Sixers finish as the 5th/6th seed is that a failure?

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

pickprotection
Sophomore
And1: 44

If the Sixers finish as the 5th/6th seed is that a failure? 

Post#1 » by pickprotection » Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:52 pm

Currently 538 elo (the model used for the past 5 seasons), espn bpi, pipm projections and bbref playoff odds all have the 76ers as the projected 5th seed in the east behind the bucks celtics heat and raptors in some order.

If Embiid misses more time than a few weeks they would probably project as the 6th seed.

Do you consider a 5th or 6th seed as a disaster finish for this season?

Do you think we can win a first round series as the road team against the celtics raptors or heat?

Would a first round exit have major ramifications for the future of the roster?
Mik317
RealGM
And1: 17,807

Re: If the Sixers finish as the 5th/6th seed is that a failure? 

Post#2 » by Mik317 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:09 pm

yes and no.

failure because the idea was first seed.

But no because if they still somehow make the finals..then their ethos of "built for the playoffs" is justified.
#NeverGonnaBeGood
Hipster Doofus
Head Coach
And1: 6,491

Post#3 » by Hipster Doofus » Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:30 pm

nope. give me april-june basketball baby. that's all that matters.
Truth is on the side of the oppressed.
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,443

Post#4 » by Eyeamok » Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:33 pm

5th or 6th seed does not matter. They have the next 42 games to fix the way they play on the road. They start winning on the road and they could be the 8th seed. No one in the east would want to face them.
They can always blame being a lower seed on injury and bringing in new players.
A first round exit would cause major coaching ramifications first. Then the bench would get a much need upgrade. Then we will see where we go from there.

Edit: Ending as the 6th seed and playing Boston in the 1st round and possibly Miami in the second would make for some great basketball viewing.
The Accession of Paul Reed is upon us !

You want it to be one way....but it's the other way.

Marlo
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,527

Post#5 » by 76ciology » Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:50 pm

Failure of 538, yes.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Bum Adebayo
General Manager
And1: 4,009

Post#6 » by Bum Adebayo » Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:40 pm

IMO the barometer is how we do in playoffs compared to preoius years. If we still can't get past second round, it is a failure, it means we are not getting better. However, having court advantage can obviosly impact greatly the outcome of playoffs.
Great takes since 2024-04-20
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 14,114

Post#7 » by BullyKing » Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:06 pm

Hard to say in the abstract because a lot depends on the context but if we do end up as 5th/6th and only dealt with some but not monumental injuries (like so far) then yeah it's probably a failure.
NYSixersFan wrote:
the plan is to get as good as quickly as possible....I fully believe we could have been a borderline playoff team last year by adding young veterans....using or draft picks and cap space.....can I specifically tell you who? no.
AI_Efficiency
Sixth Man
And1: 717

Post#8 » by AI_Efficiency » Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:10 pm

The sixers were a few makes away from beating the eventual champions last year. The expectation this year was that we would take a step forward and compete with Milwaukee to represent the east in the finals. Only one 4 seed and one team lower than a 4 seed has ever won an nba championship. So sure, people aren't wrong by saying what matters is how they perform in the playoffs, but history suggests we aren't winning anything this year. Maybe we will be the extreme outlier, but I tend to think this season will end as a massive disappointment due to poor roster moves made in the off-season.
XtremeDunkz
General Manager
And1: 6,826

Post#9 » by XtremeDunkz » Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:31 pm

Anything less than the 2 seed is indeed a failure with this team.
10/27/16
Nemesis21 wrote:It is absolutely hilarious hearing people still say Embiid has superstar potential.The guy is one injury away from being Greg Oden.:lol: Except Oden manged to play over 100 games in the NBA, I don't think Embiid will play more.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,721

Post#10 » by the_process » Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:48 pm

The only pertinent question with this team is if they are still playing in June.
GeorgeMarcus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,049

Post#11 » by GeorgeMarcus » Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:57 pm

In the context of the RS sure, but the only true barometer of success/failure this season will be playoff performance. Anything less than ECF would undoubtedly be a failure. Even making the ECF and getting beat handily would be a failure.
The Legend of George Marcus

"Where I'm from, bullies get bullied." - Zach Randolph
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,106

Post#12 » by Kobblehead » Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:05 pm

I really don't care about seeding, I only care about matchups.

We need to avoid Boston/Toronto/Indiana and try to get matched up with Milwaukee/Miami.
CastorRay
Freshman
And1: 12

Post#13 » by CastorRay » Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:26 pm

XtremeDunkz wrote:Anything less than the 2 seed is indeed a failure with this team.

Agree.

If you combine rosters with ANY team in the top 6 at least 3 starters would be Philadelphia guys. The issue is BB.
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant

Post#14 » by Eyeamok » Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:34 pm

AI_Efficiency wrote:The sixers were a few makes away from beating the eventual champions last year. The expectation this year was that we would take a step forward and compete with Milwaukee to represent the east in the finals. Only one 4 seed and one team lower than a 4 seed has ever won an nba championship. So sure, people aren't wrong by saying what matters is how they perform in the playoffs, but history suggests we aren't winning anything this year. Maybe we will be the extreme outlier, but I tend to think this season will end as a massive disappointment due to poor roster moves made in the off-season.

Not trying to derail this thread but "The eventual champions" of what?

Marlo
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,472

Post#15 » by youngcrev » Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:39 pm

Eyeamok wrote:
AI_Efficiency wrote:The sixers were a few makes away from beating the eventual champions last year. The expectation this year was that we would take a step forward and compete with Milwaukee to represent the east in the finals. Only one 4 seed and one team lower than a 4 seed has ever won an nba championship. So sure, people aren't wrong by saying what matters is how they perform in the playoffs, but history suggests we aren't winning anything this year. Maybe we will be the extreme outlier, but I tend to think this season will end as a massive disappointment due to poor roster moves made in the off-season.

The league? The Raptors did, indeed, win the NBA championship last year...
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant

Post#16 » by Eyeamok » Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:49 pm

youngcrev wrote:
Eyeamok wrote:

The league? The Raptors did, indeed, win the NBA championship last year...

Sorry my man I misread what your wrote. My apologizes.

Marlo
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,898

Post#17 » by mjkvol » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:00 pm

Success or failure will completely depend on the playoffs, especially now that "we want the 1st seed" has been replaced by "we're built for the playoffs" as the organization's mantra. If we are a six seed, reach the conference finals and lose a tough series, I can see them viewing it as successful enough to run it back. If we are a 2nd round casualty again, it's anyone's guess. A first round exit will result in major blood spillage.

I'll tell you this - the Sixers would be the last team anyone in the top four would want to see in the opening round.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,898

Post#18 » by mjkvol » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:15 pm

Eyeamok wrote:5th or 6th seed does not matter. They have the next 42 games to fix the way they play on the road. They start winning on the road and they could be the 8th seed. No one in the east would want to face them.
They can always blame being a lower seed on injury and bringing in new players.
A first round exit would cause major coaching ramifications first. Then the bench would get a much need upgrade. Then we will see where we go from there.

Edit: Ending as the 6th seed and playing Boston in the 1st round and possibly Miami in the second would make for some great basketball viewing.

The bolded part is the key. If they end up as the 5th or 6th seed but are more competitive on the road as the season winds down, it won't matter nearly as much as it does now. Really, their road performance is going to determine how far they go regardless of seed, as they won't be winning every home game in all likelihood.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,862

Post#19 » by Stanford » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:19 pm

6th seed is a failure, yes. That likely means we lose in the first round (to the teams kobble mentioned) on the road.
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,472

Post#20 » by youngcrev » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:12 pm

pickprotection wrote:Currently 538 elo (the model used for the past 5 seasons), espn bpi, pipm projections and bbref playoff odds all have the 76ers as the projected 5th seed in the east behind the bucks celtics heat and raptors in some order.

If Embiid misses more time than a few weeks they would probably project as the 6th seed.

Do you consider a 5th or 6th seed as a disaster finish for this season?

Do you think we can win a first round series as the road team against the celtics raptors or heat?

Would a first round exit have major ramifications for the future of the roster?

It would be an extremely disappointing regular season based on expectations, but as has been said, the post season is what matters.

Yes, I think they could beat those teams as a road team.

Yes, a first round exit would have major ramifications on the roster (and coaching staff, and potentially the front office)

Return to Philadelphia 76ers