ImageImageImage

Game 47: 76ers vs. Lakers - Sat Jan. 25th - 8:30pm ET ABC

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

GuideDog
Junior
And1: 138

Re: Game 47: 76ers vs. Lakers - Sat Jan. 25th - 8:30pm ET ABC 

Post#301 » by GuideDog » Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:18 am

Mik317 wrote:in the pre-game; Embiid said that he is willing to space the floor....

so we shall see. If that means Ben will keep attacking then fine.
That will also mean Al probably needs to be the 6th man too

Joel being out probably worked in Ben's favor. It put the burden on Ben to lead this team as a scorer and he's risen to the challenge. I think his confidence improved a lot. I'm expecting Ben and Joel to work much better together to finish the season.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,527

Post#302 » by 76ciology » Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:18 am

The new trend on defense ive seen is the opponent is trying to deny Ben the ball and put pressure on Kork, Al and Tobi. They know these 3 have poor ball handling.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,055

Post#303 » by Sixerscan » Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:19 am

Shake starting brett is for all the jerks here

Please feel free to second guess him

Losers.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,527

Post#304 » by 76ciology » Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:20 am

GuideDog wrote:
Mik317 wrote:in the pre-game; Embiid said that he is willing to space the floor....

Joel being out probably worked in Ben's favor. It put the burden on Ben to lead this team as a scorer and he's risen to the challenge. I think his confidence improved a lot. I'm expecting Ben and Joel to work much better together to finish the season.

This stretch develops Ben and Tobi on offense. Ive said before the season start, this roster is designed for those two to step up. The problem was we were running the offense around Biid. And it isnt until Biid went down until those two started to stop deferring and started to step up.

Even when Biid is on the floor, they can still do this. It is actually a lot easier for they can easily get mismatches with a smaller guy at one of them.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
ivysixer2000
General Manager
And1: 2,033

Post#305 » by ivysixer2000 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:22 am

You guys keep bringing up Jojo and Ben...

Isn't the job of the coach to make it work?

That is the most ignored part of this equation cause he does little to help.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,106

Post#306 » by Kobblehead » Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:23 am

ProcessDoctor wrote:
youngcrev wrote:
ProcessDoctor wrote:
You know that’s a horrible comparison.

Not perfect, but is there a closer comparison in the league?

Nope. Besides Russ and Harden, there is no star duo that is a poorer fit than Ben and Jo.

That's because it's not a star duo yet. Not until Ben learns how to play like a star with Joel.
agiaco
Analyst
And1: 1,126

Post#307 » by agiaco » Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:23 am

ivysixer2000 wrote:You guys keep bringing up Jojo and Ben...

Mm I think Brown has been discussed ad nauseam.
PhillyPhilly
Bench Warmer
And1: 522

Post#308 » by PhillyPhilly » Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:24 am

LOL how the feck did we win this game without Joel and Jrich? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Man we've been an absolute problem at fargo this season and despite being shorthanded we've once again beaten a hyped up team. Yes, we'll then turn around and probably get blown out by the Cavs next week, but this trend of beating the top teams is starting to become a habit now. Really happy to see Ben, Matisse, Tobi and Al play well too.

And come on guys!!..let's stop the nonsense about "Joel and Ben"...IF Ben continues down this path and somehow develops a jumper then we will all be in NBA heaven for years to come...it's In Ben's hands, not Joel's.
nurseryc
Analyst
And1: 1,236

Post#309 » by nurseryc » Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:26 am

Mik317 wrote:neither Ben or Joel can win by themselves.

This will win you some games but it won't win you a championship.

The dreams of getting Towns, who isn't exactly a winner but do you, is a dream. so at best an Embiid package will be a bunch of solid - to good guys and picks.... Ben could in theory get a great player in return tho but his upside, flaws and all is why that is a dangerous game to play as well.

bottom line is that the best shot this franchise has at winning a chip is with both guys and putting an actual team around them to fit their needs. You saw in this very game before Al went super saiyan (which will not be something you can keep relying on)) Ben was very quiet....until he starts shooting I am not going to build a team around him and only him.

so you aussie boys need to realize that and keep it moving.

please stop rooting for one player's success over the team.

Completely false. Ben can win without Joel. We are a better unit when Joel is out and Ben is able to play his natural game. Your statement is not factual
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,133

Post#310 » by Arsenal » Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:28 am

Great win. Like what I saw from Shake. And I guess we should continue limiting Kork's minutes this season in order to get him for a good price on a long-term contract this summer. Whereas Shake is locked in for 2.5 seasons at cheap money, so it makes sense to get him minutes if he can produce. He also provides some of the ballhandling that JRich did.

It's becoming clear to everyone that this is how the offense should run, even when Embiid returns. If he accepts the role to space the floor while with Ben, and run the offense through him when Ben is out, the team can be totally dominant. This obviously requires Horford to the bench so he never plays with both Embiid and Simmons at the same time.

Everyone needs to put aside their egos for the team's benefit. If that happens, they can take it all.
phifans
Veteran
And1: 586

Post#311 » by phifans » Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:34 am

What a pity we can't finish the season with a 41-0 at home this season !
AI_Efficiency
Sixth Man
And1: 717

Post#312 » by AI_Efficiency » Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:35 am

nurseryc wrote:

The dreams of getting Towns, who isn't exactly a winner but do you, is a dream. so at best an Embiid package will be a bunch of solid - to good guys and picks.... Ben could in theory get a great player in return tho but his upside, flaws and all is why that is a dangerous game to play as well.

bottom line is that the best shot this franchise has at winning a chip is with both guys and putting an actual team around them to fit their needs. You saw in this very game before Al went super saiyan (which will not be something you can keep relying on)) Ben was very quiet....until he starts shooting I am not going to build a team around him and only him.

Completely false. Ben can win without Joel. We are a better unit when Joel is out and Ben is able to play his natural game. Your statement is not factual

Where are you getting that we are a better unit with Joel out. The on / off numbers for Joel these last three years have been staggering. The team is generally much worse without him.

Btw, our numbers this year with both of them on the floor and no Horford are also great. It’s making all three fit that is tough.
GuideDog
Junior
And1: 138

Post#313 » by GuideDog » Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:35 am

76ciology wrote:
GuideDog wrote:

This stretch develops Ben and Tobi on offense. Ive said before the season start, this roster is designed for those two to step up. The problem was we were running the offense around Biid. And it isnt until Biid went down until those two started to stop deferring and started to step up.

Even when Biid is on the floor, they can still do this. It is actually a lot easier for they can easily get mismatches with a smaller guy at one of them.

My guess is Ben and Tobi won't go back to deferring to Joel when he's back. We should be better than before.
Mik317
RealGM
And1: 17,807

Post#314 » by Mik317 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:35 am

nurseryc wrote:

If you took off your Ben blinders for a second you;d see it.

I know you are only here because of Ben so anything that does not fully benefit him is seen as a threat to him. You do this with every one not just Embiid. All of you Ben fans do it. Its annoying and makes reading your posts a waste of time.

Ben has been playing great basketball as of late but the FACT is that this was the first game against a team with a winning record that we beat with this Ben focused lineup. The FACT is that until dude learns to shoot, in the closing minutes of the game,the ball will go in other players hands...thats not best player on the team stuff. Over this stretch when the game got close it was up to Tobias, Al and **** Furkan Korkmaz. That **** cannot fly in the playoffs. The FACT is that trading Embiid will not get back an equal value player be it due to his injury concerns or just reality of star trades never being like for like. Those are the facts.

you guys are so desperate for your boy to get props that you are blind to the FACT that he cannot do it alone and the best option for a running mate is Joel Hans Embiid, 3 time all star starter and top 10 player in the NBA. You don't trade that to play a style of offense that has been proven to not work fully in the playoffs (see Giannis, see Iggy Sixers, see **** NBA history). If you want to start talking FACTS, you need to come with more than "I like this player because he is from my country of origin".

Thats FACT
#NeverGonnaBeGood
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,898

Post#315 » by mjkvol » Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:36 am

It's comical coming on these threads and seeing the trade Ben brigade one day, and the trade Jo group the next. News alert: neither one is getting traded, now or in the next 2-3 years. Horford is staying as well. They're not giving up on this thing after half a season, and it's on Brown make it work, or he's the one who will be shown the door.

Fantastic win, Ben and Tobias were exactly as we need them to be - aggressive, and taking the game over, and Al came up big when he had to. My biggest concern is the amount of turnovers. It's incredible how many empty trips we have due to mind boggling sloppiness. If we get shots on half those trips this game is probably over halfway through the 4th quarter.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
XDevilBoiX
Head Coach
And1: 2,481

Post#316 » by XDevilBoiX » Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:36 am

You can tell who is a fan of the team and who is a fan of certain players. It’s not about winning the title to them, they want to just see their fav player succeed.
michaelm
RealGM
And1: 4,795

Post#317 » by michaelm » Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:39 am

nurseryc wrote:
ProcessDoctor wrote:Just watch when Embiid comes back. I assure you Ben won’t we be playing like this.

Two objects can’t occupy the same space at the same time.

Ben is clearly now our best player and we must continue with this style of play. Embiid doesn’t fit and needs to go. Embiid being out unlocks Ben and allows him to play his natural game.

I have always thought the Lakers were over-rated and poorly constructed, and happy as I am to see Simmons have a great game I am not sure this style works against a smart coach with the right defensive players such as the likes of Kawhi.

On the other hand Simmons seems capable of defending even the best opposition players.

I still think there must be a way of using 2 players with the elite talent both Embiid and Simmons possess for the greater benefit of the Sixers. If the current coach can’t work it out get another one. Certainly this stretch proves Simmons and Horford can work together, while previous experience indicates Embiid, Simmons and Horford together doesn’t work. Historically the Sixers starting 5 including both Simmons and Embiid had elite/NBA leading numbers.
Mik317
RealGM
And1: 17,807

Post#318 » by Mik317 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:45 am

i will say the Simmons Fan Club damn sure knows how to ruin a great win.

holy ****
#NeverGonnaBeGood
michaelm
RealGM
And1: 4,795

Post#319 » by michaelm » Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:48 am

XDevilBoiX wrote:

You can tell who is a fan of the team and who is a fan of certain players. It’s not about winning the title to them, they want to just see their fav player succeed.

I don’t get it myself. It is a team sport and for Simmons to succeed in any significant way it can only be by contributing to the Sixers succeeding.

Anyone interested in the Sixers because of Simmons surely could not fail to be impressed by Embiid in that first season he played while Simmons was redshirting. If anyone wants to see GSW have another 5 year run just give them either player.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,106

Post#320 » by Kobblehead » Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:50 am

XDevilBoiX wrote:You can tell who is a fan of the team and who is a fan of certain players. It’s not about winning the title to them, they want to just see their fav player succeed.

That's how it's going to be for now on in the upcoming generations. League pass culture.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers