Championship
22%

Total votes: 32

sixerswillrule
RealGM
And1: 3,592

Re: Minimum Playoff Result? 

Post#21 » by sixerswillrule » Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:16 pm

mjkvol wrote:Even a championship win should result in any changes that might improve the team next year - I don't believe in 'standing pat' regardless what happens, the league isn't static. But an ECF loss to anyone in this conference should result in more major changes, and another 2nd round exit (or worse) should mean the end for this 'bully ball' thing and for Brown.

Like others have said, my fear is an ECF loss and Brown keeping his job. The Finals should be the minimum for him to return next year.

I meant major changes as in replace Brett Brown, replace Brand, and/or trade Simmons or Embiid. Of course championship teams can make changes to improve the team but I can't think of one ever doing something like that.
ProcessDoctor
RealGM
And1: 5,183

Post#22 » by ProcessDoctor » Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:28 pm

Finals loss for me. Our window is so short that I'm even tempted to say Finals victory.
2023-2024 Philadelphia 76ers:

Lowry/Melton/Payne
Maxey/Hield/Downtin
Batum/Oubre/Council
Harris/Covington/Martin
Embiid/Reed/Bamba
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,847

Post#23 » by mjkvol » Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:36 pm

sixerswillrule wrote:
mjkvol wrote:Even a championship win should result in any changes that might improve the team next year - I don't believe in 'standing pat' regardless what happens, the league isn't static. But an ECF loss to anyone in this conference should result in more major changes, and another 2nd round exit (or worse) should mean the end for this 'bully ball' thing and for Brown.

Like others have said, my fear is an ECF loss and Brown keeping his job. The Finals should be the minimum for him to return next year.

I meant major changes as in replace Brett Brown, replace Brand, and/or trade Simmons or Embiid. Of course championship teams can make changes to improve the team but I can't think of one ever doing something like that.

I believe I addressed that in my post.

Regarding trading Embiid or Simmons, the answer is not on the next 2-3 years minimum. It's Brand and Brown's job to make it work.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,446

Post#24 » by youngcrev » Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:38 pm

ProcessDoctor wrote:Finals loss for me. Our window is so short that I'm even tempted to say Finals victory.

What makes you say their window is short when their best two players are 22 and 25?
ProcessDoctor
RealGM

Post#25 » by ProcessDoctor » Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:41 pm

youngcrev wrote:
ProcessDoctor wrote:Finals loss for me. Our window is so short that I'm even tempted to say Finals victory.

What makes you say their window is short when their best two players are 22 and 25?

I don't believe Embiid will be as impactful of a player beyond his current contract. He turns 26 in March, and history says he'll last until 28-29 (unless we get a surge in medical advancements within the next 2 years).

Lowry/Melton/Payne
Maxey/Hield/Downtin
Batum/Oubre/Council
Harris/Covington/Martin
Embiid/Reed/Bamba
youngcrev
RealGM

Post#26 » by youngcrev » Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:52 pm

ProcessDoctor wrote:
youngcrev wrote:

I don't believe Embiid will be as impactful of a player beyond his current contract. He turns 26 in March, and history says he'll last until 28-29 (unless we get a surge in medical advancements within the next 2 years).

History of what specifically?
ProcessDoctor
RealGM

Post#27 » by ProcessDoctor » Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:58 pm

youngcrev wrote:
ProcessDoctor wrote:
youngcrev wrote:

His personal injury history plus the careers of other injury-prone big men (Yao, Stoudemire, D12, Blake). At age 25, he's playing ~60 games per year and finding ways to get injured despite load management. What do you expect when he's 29?

Lowry/Melton/Payne
Maxey/Hield/Downtin
Batum/Oubre/Council
Harris/Covington/Martin
Embiid/Reed/Bamba
youngcrev
RealGM

Post#28 » by youngcrev » Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:07 pm

ProcessDoctor wrote:
youngcrev wrote:
ProcessDoctor wrote:

His personal injury history plus the careers of other injury-prone big men (Yao, Stoudemire, D12, Blake). At age 25, he's playing ~60 games per year and finding ways to get injured despite load management. What do you expect when he's 29?

Based on your wording I assumed you had some specific injury you were concerned about that have a history of taking guys out around that age rather just general concerns and tossing an age out there. His tendency to get injured is a major concern. I'm not so worried about broken fingers and facial bones long-term though.
ProcessDoctor
RealGM

Post#29 » by ProcessDoctor » Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:13 pm

youngcrev wrote:
ProcessDoctor wrote:
youngcrev wrote:

Based on your wording I assumed you had some specific injury you were concerned about that have a history of taking guys out around that age rather just general concerns and tossing an age out there. His tendency to get injured is a major concern. I'm not so worried about broken fingers and facial bones long-term though.

Age is a good enough predictor, it doesn't have to be a specific injury to see the big picture with him. Whether it's his knees, ankles, feet, or back I think it's pretty clear he won't be an all-star past his late 20's.

Lowry/Melton/Payne
Maxey/Hield/Downtin
Batum/Oubre/Council
Harris/Covington/Martin
Embiid/Reed/Bamba
sixerswillrule
RealGM
And1: 3,592

Post#30 » by sixerswillrule » Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:14 pm

mjkvol wrote:
sixerswillrule wrote:

Regarding trading Embiid or Simmons, the answer is not on the next 2-3 years minimum. It's Brand and Brown's job to make it work.

Yeah I saw that but it seemed like the first sentence was meant to be in response to someone but I don't think anyone suggested that.

Also if neither Embiid or Simmons are going anywhere and a 2nd round loss is what it takes to fire Brett, then what are the more major changes from an ECF loss?
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,847

Post#31 » by mjkvol » Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:00 pm

sixerswillrule wrote:
mjkvol wrote:
sixerswillrule wrote:

Yeah I saw that but it seemed like the first sentence was meant to be in response to someone but I don't think anyone suggested that.

Also if neither Embiid or Simmons are going anywhere and a 2nd round loss is what it takes to fire Brett, then what are the more major changes from an ECF loss?

Good question, but it really depends on how they lose and how this group looks throughout the playoffs. Maybe moving one of the major pieces if a better fit can be found. There's no black and white way to answer that, and it will be a lot more clear after it plays out.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin

Return to Philadelphia 76ers