ImageImageImage

IF Horford goes to the bench....

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

PhillyPhilly
Bench Warmer
And1: 522

IF Horford goes to the bench.... 

Post#1 » by PhillyPhilly » Sat Feb 8, 2020 3:56 am

Which Brett hinted was possible today, then who starts? KORK or Robinson? Kork was great tonight but we all know he's very hot and cold. Whereas Robinson was balling for Golden State and might have a little "Tobi" in him i.e a late bloomer. Looking forward to seeing how Robinson does because if he can spread the floor and continue to score points like he was for the Warriors, then the balance of our team should be much better imo.
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,446

Re: IF Horford goes to the bench.... 

Post#2 » by youngcrev » Sat Feb 8, 2020 4:01 am

I'd think it would be Kork or Thybulle. I'd probably lean towards Kork at the moment with Burks sliding into his bench scorer role.
PhillyPhilly
Bench Warmer

Post#3 » by PhillyPhilly » Sat Feb 8, 2020 4:14 am

youngcrev wrote:I'd think it would be Kork or Thybulle. I'd probably lean towards Kork at the moment with Burks sliding into his bench scorer role.

You don't rate Robinson? He was averaging close to 14 points a game this season and alongside better players that could rise up. Was quite decent from three too.
youngcrev
RealGM

Post#4 » by youngcrev » Sat Feb 8, 2020 4:17 am

PhillyPhilly wrote:
youngcrev wrote:I'd think it would be Kork or Thybulle. I'd probably lean towards Kork at the moment with Burks sliding into his bench scorer role.

You don't rate Robinson? He was averaging close to 14 points a game this season and alongside better players that could rise up. Was quite decent from three too.

He put up stats on an awful team. He won't get anywhere near the same level of opportunity here. I look at him as more of a Mike Scott replacement in the rotation.
mithrandir17
Veteran
And1: 1,609

Post#5 » by mithrandir17 » Sat Feb 8, 2020 4:18 am

robinson would have to tear it up on practices to justify him starting and horford to the bench. imagine being horford and benched for a minimum contract guy who was just traded from a tanking team.
creek48
Freshman
And1: 20

Post#6 » by creek48 » Sat Feb 8, 2020 4:28 am

I would think it would be Thybulle. Korkmaz effectiveness goes down when he plays longer minutes. Tonight was an outlier. Robinson and Burks will push Scott, Neto and Milton out of the rotation.
PhillyPhilly
Bench Warmer

Post#7 » by PhillyPhilly » Sat Feb 8, 2020 4:28 am

youngcrev wrote:
PhillyPhilly wrote:

He put up stats on an awful team. He won't get anywhere near the same level of opportunity here. I look at him as more of a Mike Scott replacement in the rotation.

The stats merely justify the TALENT though..regardless of whether he's on a good or bad team. I see a guy who was putting up 20 plus quite often, shooting well from mid and long range and finishing well In the paint. Tobi is a prime example of a late bloomer and I see that potential In Robinson.
youngcrev
RealGM

Post#8 » by youngcrev » Sat Feb 8, 2020 4:50 am

PhillyPhilly wrote:
youngcrev wrote:
PhillyPhilly wrote:

The stats merely justify the TALENT though..regardless of whether he's on a good or bad team. I see a guy who was putting up 20 plus quite often, shooting well from mid and long range and finishing well In the paint. Tobi is a prime example of a late bloomer and I see that potential In Robinson.

I just don't think he's that talented though. Good percentage from 3, but not a volume guy. Not really an off the bounce threat. Not an impact defender.

I think he brings value to the bench as a guy that can make an open 3 without being a defensive liability, but I'm not looking at him as much more than that.

Burks is a little more intriguing as a bench scorer.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,395

Post#9 » by 76ciology » Sat Feb 8, 2020 5:56 am

Burks or thybulle.

Kork wont be able to start until he can be an average defender. Specially with how Biid is playing defense right now.

Kork’s best role is a 6th man scorer where a bench player isn’t that talented enough to abuse his defense
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,395

Post#10 » by 76ciology » Sat Feb 8, 2020 6:08 am

Starting unit with Horford = +8 NetRtg 105 ORtg
Starting unit with Kork = +7.4 NetRtg 100 ORtg

Starting unit with Horford almost 3x more minutes.

If you want to improve the starting unit, you need someone to play that role JJ played (nobody can play that role right now) and Embiid to wake up and play defense

If you can’t find someone to play that role JJ play then we run the offense primarily with Ben (sixers best unit is without Biid) then Embiid has to shoot the 3s and wake up to play defense
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
stormi
General Manager
And1: 7,654

Post#11 » by stormi » Sat Feb 8, 2020 6:11 am

Burks should be our shot creator off the bench, I don't think he would be utilized well with the starting lineup.

Make Al the 6th man, start GR3 if he shows he's a dependable knockdown shooter with adequate defense.

depth
PhillyFan11
Rookie
And1: 443

Post#12 » by PhillyFan11 » Sat Feb 8, 2020 1:17 pm

How’s GR3’s defense? I assume he’s better than Korkmaz, but don’t know how capable he is. That should be the determining factor. If not, there’s nothing wrong with starting Burks either. Ben and Tobi are more than capable of covering the opposing teams 3/4.
ankle420breaker
General Manager
And1: 1,957

Post#13 » by ankle420breaker » Sat Feb 8, 2020 1:29 pm

Korkmaz should start. We need the spacing.

Horford, Thybulle, Burks, GRIII should be a productive 2nd unit.

Sent from my SM-G970U using RealGM mobile app
smittybanton
Sixth Man
And1: 398

Post#14 » by smittybanton » Sat Feb 8, 2020 1:57 pm

I would continue to start Horford because our defense is top notch, which means a) he hasn't lost much if at all to age, b) all the statistics from advanced to simple say that he is merely in a shooting slump, and c) we also shouldn't scuttle his trade value this summer. i disagree that al's contract is an albatross, because the market for four-fives who can shoot is as thin as the market for bigs who can't shoot is saturated. after we win the chip, we make a move to get more flexibility, i think.

al has been a good shooter in the past. right now he is adjusting to being purely a catch and shoot guy. nobody wants to hear it but joel has to make that same transition. less dribbling, more sniping. from there, the lanes will open up. when healthy, we have the best starting five in the league, and they will get even better.

if we choose to start thybulle or korkmaz, that's cool too. having a ton of guys who can fit inbetween ben and jojo is a great thing.
freshie2
RealGM
And1: 599

Post#15 » by freshie2 » Sat Feb 8, 2020 2:33 pm

They've started most games well, so I'm not as concerned there. The lineups through the game need to be better with 2 of Ben/Tobi/Al/Joel paired with 3 wings the majority of the time. Burks should be Ben's backup, and GRob one of the first subs with Furk, Milton, and Mattise. Scott is the player impacted the most as his time is cut drastically.
BoomBap
Bench Warmer
And1: 401

Post#16 » by BoomBap » Sat Feb 8, 2020 2:37 pm

Ben - JRich - Kork - Tobi - Joel
Burks - Thybulle - GRIII - Scott - Horford

I want to see those lineups
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,108

Post#17 » by Arsenal » Sat Feb 8, 2020 2:49 pm

It needs to be Rainmaker in the starting lineup. His shooting and gravity is exactly what we need to surround Ben and Jo.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,080

Post#18 » by Kobblehead » Sat Feb 8, 2020 2:58 pm

Maybe Shake gets the nod for some added ball handling, shooting and passing.
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,108

Post#19 » by Arsenal » Sat Feb 8, 2020 2:58 pm

Guys are way too fixated on defense. We have more than enough defense with Jo, Ben, and JRich in the starting lineup. They need a guy who can space more than anything else.
mhunt
Rookie
And1: 172

Post#20 » by mhunt » Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:42 pm

our own tom moore is speculating that al will go to the bench tonight. i guess j-rich, shake, ben, toby, jojo. korkmaz has been fire off the bench so i'd leave him in that role for now.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers