Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

ivysixer2000
General Manager
And1: 2,009

Re: IF Horford goes to the bench.... 

Post#161 » by ivysixer2000 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:43 pm

sixers hoops wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:
LloydFree wrote:Embiid missed like 9 of those road games and Richardson missed about 5 more of the road games. Both those guys have seemed to get injured/suspended right before road trips. Maybe being shorthanded and forcing reserve/younger players to do to much caused some of bad performance.

Well as I referenced above it's still coming to bear even when Jo plays, and it includes a drop off on defense. They've beaten the Raptors, Celtics, Lakers at home without Jo and/or Josh...

To be clear I'm not saying it's not a solvable thing. There's no reason they should be as bad on the road as they have been. And I'm on board with Horford coming off the bench especially with the warriors guys coming in and theoretically giving you a little more depth.

I think it will help, but I still feel like we have trouble simply creating consistent, quality offense. In my opinion, we need a point guard that can break down a defense. I never wanted to re-sign Jimmy, but I definitely didn’t think Al was the right direction.

I think we need someone come playoff time who can run the point and create offense. They signed Al so we had a competent Joel backup, and a very good defender on Giannis and Siakim. However, our halfcourt offense looked better last year with Jimmy at the point, and we were more effective in a few games with Shake running the point. I think we still have a glaring need for a real point guard who has a multifaceted offensive attack.

While I agree that we need someone with a multifaceted offensive attack, I don't know why it has to be a PG....a wing that could do it would fit alot better while still making Ben not act like a child who got his toys taken away.

Jimmy was that guy, but issues with personality and such made it not work (no matter how much I hate it). Find a wing who could allow us to to move the Furkan/shake/GR3 show to the bench, then your talking. Finding that guy will be very difficult though.
M2J
Starter
And1: 1,115

Post#162 » by M2J » Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:46 am

ivysixer2000 wrote:
sixers hoops wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:
Well as I referenced above it's still coming to bear even when Jo plays, and it includes a drop off on defense. They've beaten the Raptors, Celtics, Lakers at home without Jo and/or Josh...

To be clear I'm not saying it's not a solvable thing. There's no reason they should be as bad on the road as they have been. And I'm on board with Horford coming off the bench especially with the warriors guys coming in and theoretically giving you a little more depth.

I think it will help, but I still feel like we have trouble simply creating consistent, quality offense. In my opinion, we need a point guard that can break down a defense. I never wanted to re-sign Jimmy, but I definitely didn’t think Al was the right direction.

I think we need someone come playoff time who can run the point and create offense. They signed Al so we had a competent Joel backup, and a very good defender on Giannis and Siakim. However, our halfcourt offense looked better last year with Jimmy at the point, and we were more effective in a few games with Shake running the point. I think we still have a glaring need for a real point guard who has a multifaceted offensive attack.

While I agree that we need someone with a multifaceted offensive attack, I don't know why it has to be a PG....a wing that could do it would fit alot better while still making Ben not act like a child who got his toys taken away.

Jimmy was that guy, but issues with personality and such made it not work (no matter how much I hate it). Find a wing who could allow us to to move the Furkan/shake/GR3 show to the bench, then your talking. Finding that guy will be very difficult though.

They're trying to make that dynamic multi faceted player Josh Richardson. Sometimes it works brilliantly, other times... not so much. But games such as the last one vs the Clippers show why they think it can work. Considering he's had some stretches where he's been injured, still has some developing he can do in his game, it's very much something I've been watching this season.

I'm hoping that force feeding him that role, may make him more consistent with it. Maybe down the stretch of games. Also, better spacing without Horford could unlock some of his abilities more too. If he's more aggressive with his three attempts like last game, he can be a real key to this offense.
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,567
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#163 » by LloydFree » Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:58 pm

M2J wrote:
ivysixer2000 wrote:
sixers hoops wrote:

They're trying to make that dynamic multi faceted player Josh Richardson. Sometimes it works brilliantly, other times... not so much. But games such as the last one vs the Clippers show why they think it can work. Considering he's had some stretches where he's been injured, still has some developing he can do in his game, it's very much something I've been watching this season.

I'm hoping that force feeding him that role, may make him more consistent with it. Maybe down the stretch of games. Also, better spacing without Horford could unlock some of his abilities more too. If he's more aggressive with his three attempts like last game, he can be a real key to this offense.

That's one of the key factors that was always going to be needed, once Richardson was acquired to replace Redick in the lineup, and it hasn't happened. Richardson hasn't attempted enough 3 pointers. He's actually taking less than he did when he was on Miami. Redick was taking 8 per game. Richardson was taking 6 per game last year and making them at a league average rate. This year he's averaging 4 per game.

Regardless of what Horford and Simmons are doing, both Richardson and Tobias Harris have to get their 3 point attempts up to 6 per game at the least.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
ivysixer2000
General Manager
And1: 2,009

Post#164 » by ivysixer2000 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:18 pm

LloydFree wrote:
M2J wrote:
ivysixer2000 wrote:

That's one of the key factors that was always going to be needed, once Richardson was acquired to replace Redick in the lineup, and it hasn't happened. Richardson hasn't attempted enough 3 pointers. He's actually taking less than he did when he was on Miami. Redick was taking 8 per game. Richardson was taking 6 per game last year and making them at a league average rate. This year he's averaging 4 per game.

Regardless of what Horford and Simmons are doing, both Richardson and Tobias Harris have to get their 3 point attempts up to 6 per game at the least.

Well I've always thought that with Jojo and Ben...it will put more pressure on those shooters, whoever they are, cause of how much those two can make opponents converge on the middle.

Some will say it should be a shooters dream to get the wide open opportunities that Ben and Jojo provide, but if you can't stand pressure you better get out the kitchen. If your wide open, people expect you to make it, something you will always get with those two. With that comes pressure, we need shooters that not only can put up shots at high percentage and volume, but also can handle the pressure of being wide open and being in Philly.

Its not secret why guys don't want to come to the Sixers, but maybe its a secret to some....its a pressure cooker.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers