Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

mithrandir17
Veteran
And1: 1,609

Re: IF Horford goes to the bench.... 

Post#61 » by mithrandir17 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:59 am

tsmith wrote:
mithrandir17 wrote:
tsmith wrote:Geez this makes the offseason look so bad. Nearly 100 million to sign a backup centre after seeing multiple teams sign above average centre's for dirt cheap in the last 12 months.

Horford still played 27 mins. The 97M contract will be worth it because we have a starting quality center for 48 mins.

Could have signed say Dwight Howard or Richuan Holmes and saved a hell of a lot of money. I'd say that 97m wont be worth it.

No one could have seen the resurgence of Dwight based on what he did last season. If you tell me that Dwight will backup Embiid and also replace him when he is out based on his last season performance, Elton would have been fired on the spot. Holmes is also not a starting quality center, not for a contender anyway. What we needed was not just a backup center, but also a spot starter in case of an Embiid injury.
tsmith
Sixth Man
And1: 908

Post#62 » by tsmith » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:02 am

76ciology wrote:
tsmith wrote:
mithrandir17 wrote:Horford still played 27 mins. The 97M contract will be worth it because we have a starting quality center for 48 mins.

Could have signed say Dwight Howard or Richuan Holmes and saved a hell of a lot of money. I'd say that 97m wont be worth it.

You don’t know the value of Al.

We have played 3 seasons already with the 5 man units without Embiid that has been our achilles heel. Whenever Embiid sits, the monentum changes favoring our opponent.

We tried every center from Noel to Amir Johnson, none of them have provided us a 5 man unit to be a positive one without Jojo. It’s even our best 5 man unit in the team (last time i checked).

You will see the value of Al more in the playoffs. I think limiting his minutes may help him to close out games with our starters. Playing the kind of role of Iggy with the Warriors and the deathball.

Did I miss the time we tried an adequate centre that wasn't old as hell or inexperienced?
mithrandir17
Veteran

Post#63 » by mithrandir17 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:04 am

tsmith wrote:
76ciology wrote:
tsmith wrote:Could have signed say Dwight Howard or Richuan Holmes and saved a hell of a lot of money. I'd say that 97m wont be worth it.

We have played 3 seasons already with the 5 man units without Embiid that has been our achilles heel. Whenever Embiid sits, the monentum changes favoring our opponent.

We tried every center from Noel to Amir Johnson, none of them have provided us a 5 man unit to be a positive one without Jojo. It’s even our best 5 man unit in the team (last time i checked).

You will see the value of Al more in the playoffs. I think limiting his minutes may help him to close out games with our starters. Playing the kind of role of Iggy with the Warriors and the deathball.

Did I miss the time we tried an adequate centre that wasn't old as hell or inexperienced?

Isnt Dwight old? And Holmes also inexperienced? Those were your suggestions, right?
tsmith
Sixth Man

Post#64 » by tsmith » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:04 am

mithrandir17 wrote:
tsmith wrote:
mithrandir17 wrote:Horford still played 27 mins. The 97M contract will be worth it because we have a starting quality center for 48 mins.

No one could have seen the resurgence of Dwight based on what he did last season. If you tell me that Dwight will backup Embiid and also replace him when he is out based on his last season performance, Elton would have been fired on the spot. Holmes is also not a starting quality center, not for a contender anyway. What we needed was not just a backup center, but also a spot starter in case of an Embiid injury.

So we used all our money on a potential replacement for injury for our star player instead of using it to put strong pieces around him. That my friend is a waste.
phillynative
General Manager
And1: 2,770

Post#65 » by phillynative » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:07 am

If the benching goes well should we be cheering Al for being a team first player?
tsmith
Sixth Man

Post#66 » by tsmith » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:07 am

mithrandir17 wrote:
tsmith wrote:
76ciology wrote:

Isnt Dwight old? And Holmes also inexperienced? Those were your suggestions, right?

lol this is true but even at 34 Dwight looks 28. The major point was though that we hadn't tried a backup centre that wasn't dog ****.
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,861

Post#67 » by Negrodamus » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:23 am

76ciology wrote:
Common theme?

“What’s best for the team”

You also see Ben emerging and Biid playing a different role.

I don't follow. What's the common theme?

And what's Embiid's different role? Getting under the basket and forcing the other team to foul him?
agiaco
Analyst
And1: 1,126

Post#68 » by agiaco » Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:40 am

What a clown take saying Jrich is an easy trade to make at the deadline. He has the most heart on the team. +24 tonight and a complete stud at the end.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,592

Post#69 » by 76ciology » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:09 am

Negrodamus wrote:
76ciology wrote:
Common theme?

And what's Embiid's different role? Getting under the basket and forcing the other team to foul him?

Everybody sacrificing for the team. That’s the common theme.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
mithrandir17
Veteran

Post#70 » by mithrandir17 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:44 am

tsmith wrote:
mithrandir17 wrote:
tsmith wrote:Could have signed say Dwight Howard or Richuan Holmes and saved a hell of a lot of money. I'd say that 97m wont be worth it.

So we used all our money on a potential replacement for injury for our star player instead of using it to put strong pieces around him. That my friend is a waste.

You didn't want old or inexperienced player as a backup center but you also don't want to pay premium for the said role? How many players fit your description of young enough and have experience centers that is also cost effective? What I am trying to say is don't just think of Horford's contract as a backup center or just for Embiid's replacement. He got that contract because he is both.

Just an example, GSW signed Igoudala for 48M/4 years as their backup SF to Barnes and a starter in some games. In 2013, Igoudala is earning 12M/year and the capspace at that time is only 58M. Scale that to today's capspace (109M) and the 12M is now worth around 22M. By your logic, GSW wasted all of that money on Igoudala when they could have split the money into 2 or 3 players that time.
VDT
Analyst
And1: 2,106

Post#71 » by VDT » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:33 am

Horford doesnt really have a role on this team, particularly when playing a team like the Clippers whose stars are jump shooting wings. If we could have acquired someone that can actually play with the starting lineup the ceiling of the team would be considerably higher.
M2J
Starter
And1: 1,192

Post#72 » by M2J » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:18 am

VDT wrote:Horford doesnt really have a role on this team, particularly when playing a team like the Clippers whose stars are jump shooting wings. If we could have acquired someone that can actually play with the starting lineup the ceiling of the team would be considerably higher.

They have players that can play with the starters. From the looks of it, several.

Horford is very important to this team, and his play on the court was important vs LAC.
You can see it on the court and in the boxscore.

I think currently Al can still be worth his contract in general in the NBA. Perhaps that number is high for this team however. But if he were still on Boston, he'd be worth it. He's had some big games this year, but with 5 legit scorers some guys take steps back many nights. We've seen it with them all. Not sure about the value for future seasons, but hopefully playing from the bench prolongs him. It's just a tough offensive fit next to BOTH Joel and Ben. However, he's amazing to have in place of Joel when he needs rest or misses games. This season could have gone to hell without him considering how much time Joel has missed. Not only that, but how well the team continues to play with him playing center with JoJo off the floor is a huge plus, not it also helps Joel fresh. Guarantee that last season Joel would've had to play 35 to nearly 40 minutes vs the Clippers. Very rarely has he played 35 minutes in a game this year, and the most of the ones he did were without Al.

I've said it before, it's not my money or any of yours. Be thankful to have a team willing to go for it and pay guys to fill roles. Not like others star players we're beating down the door to come here. One even left.
M2J
Starter
And1: 1,192

Post#73 » by M2J » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:25 am

That being said.

I think Kork would be ideal, but I said it a few days ago, he can be played out of a game due to limitations. No doubt though his gravitational pull helped. Hopefully GR3 , shake or Tisse can be there all around guy in the lineup that can hit the 3 enough to keep teams honest and can do enough when chased off the line to make a difference. Plus play some defense.
Negrodamus
RealGM

Post#74 » by Negrodamus » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:06 am

agiaco wrote:What a clown take saying Jrich is an easy trade to make at the deadline. He has the most heart on the team. +24 tonight and a complete stud at the end.

Well, he literally was the easiest trade to make. His contract allowed for it.
Negrodamus
RealGM

Post#75 » by Negrodamus » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:08 am

76ciology wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:
76ciology wrote:
Common theme?

Everybody sacrificing for the team. That’s the common theme.

Im not seeing Joel and Ben sacrificing, and luckily they don’t have to: they are the stars.
VDT
Analyst

Post#76 » by VDT » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:16 am

M2J wrote:
VDT wrote:Horford doesnt really have a role on this team, particularly when playing a team like the Clippers whose stars are jump shooting wings. If we could have acquired someone that can actually play with the starting lineup the ceiling of the team would be considerably higher.

They have players that can play with the starters. From the looks of it, several.

Horford is very important to this team, and his play on the court was important vs LAC.

I think currently Al can still be worth his contract in general in the NBA. Perhaps that number is high for this team however. But if he were still on Boston, he'd be worth it. He's had some big games this year, but with 5 legit scorers some guys take steps back many nights. We've seen it with them all. Not sure about the value for future seasons, but hopefully playing from the bench prolongs him. It's just a tough offensive fit next to BOTH Joel and Ben. However, he's amazing to have in place of Joel when he needs rest or misses games. This season could have gone to hell without him considering how much time Joel has missed. Not only that, but how well the team continues to play with him playing center with JoJo off the floor is a huge plus, not it also helps Joel fresh. Guarantee that last season Joel would've had to play 35 to nearly 40 minutes vs the Clippers. Very rarely has he played 35 minutes in a game this year, and the most of the ones he did were without Al.

I've said it before, it's not my money or any of yours. Be thankful to have a team willing to go for it and pay guys to fill roles. Not like others star players we're beating down the door to come here. One even left.

You dont pay someone close to 30 mil to be a good bench player.

It significantly lowers the ceiling of the team compared to having a player that could fit with the starting lineup. This is exacerbated in the playoffs where Embiid will play more minutes. What are we going to do then, play him with Embiid for significant stretches of the game or play him 5-10 minutes per game?
Aussiepiston1
Bench Warmer
And1: 278

Post#77 » by Aussiepiston1 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:24 am

The fact of the matter is.... Brand and Brown thought Ben Simmons will have a jump shot and Harris will be able to play the 3 but it isn’t the case so Horford coming off the bench is the best solution to improve the spacing.
Is he overpaid? Yes but our 4 wings are underpaid so it balances out and if they play like they did tonight or even better they actually hit their 3’s it will all be worth it in the end.
VDT
Analyst

Post#78 » by VDT » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:26 am

mithrandir17 wrote:
tsmith wrote:
mithrandir17 wrote:No one could have seen the resurgence of Dwight based on what he did last season. If you tell me that Dwight will backup Embiid and also replace him when he is out based on his last season performance, Elton would have been fired on the spot. Holmes is also not a starting quality center, not for a contender anyway. What we needed was not just a backup center, but also a spot starter in case of an Embiid injury.

You didn't want old or inexperienced player as a backup center but you also don't want to pay premium for the said role? How many players fit your description of young enough and have experience centers that is also cost effective? What I am trying to say is don't just think of Horford's contract as a backup center or just for Embiid's replacement. He got that contract because he is both.

Just an example, GSW signed Igoudala for 48M/4 years as their backup SF to Barnes and a starter in some games. In 2013, Igoudala is earning 12M/year and the capspace at that time is only 58M. Scale that to today's capspace (109M) and the 12M is now worth around 22M. By your logic, GSW wasted all of that money on Igoudala when they could have split the money into 2 or 3 players that time.

Baynes?

I mean we had Boban and Monroe last year, it is not hard to find a better defensive big who can maybe even space the floor a bit. Even undersized center would be fine. It's not like he will be asked to guard Shaq.
Aussiepiston1
Bench Warmer
And1: 278

Post#79 » by Aussiepiston1 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:26 am

VDT wrote:
M2J wrote:

It significantly lowers the ceiling of the team compared to having a player that could fit with the starting lineup. This is exacerbated in the playoffs where Embiid will play more minutes. What are we going to do then, play him with Embiid for significant stretches of the game or play him 5-10 minutes per game?

Ibaka and Gasol say hi mate
VDT
Analyst

Post#80 » by VDT » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:35 am

Aussiepiston1 wrote:
VDT wrote:
M2J wrote:

Ibaka and Gasol say hi mate

Absolutely the Raptors would prefer to have a player that can play with the starting and closing lineup, it's a no brainer. The fact that they won doesnt change that. And Ibaka gets significantly less money, Horford's salary is close to what you would be paying a star player (he is getting more than Embiid). If the SIxers could get a cheap back up center like Baynes and invest 30 mil to improve their starting/closing lineup their ceiling would be much higher.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers