Veteran
And1: 1,609

Re: How good can The Rainmaker be? 

Post#101 » by mithrandir17 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:30 am

TTP wrote:
mithrandir17 wrote:
Hussien Fatal wrote:
I thought not

Even Brett credited his stint in the world cup for his increased confidence. Brett just gave him minutes because he didn't have any other choice.

Seems revisionist.

In the 6th game of the season when Embiid was out, Brett started Korkmaz (to my surprise) over Matisse, Ennis, and Mike Scott. At the time, I thought that all 3 were better choices.

Even in the 1st game of the season, Korkmaz received the 2nd most minutes out of the bench players (after Matisse).

Anyone who is willing to criticize Brett for his rotation decisions should also be giving him his due here. Otherwise you're a hypocrite. Furthermore, if you're going to argue that Brett didn't have a choice with his lineup decisions, then you can hardly criticize him for his rotation. How can you criticize him if by your own admission, he didn't have any other choice?

I meant Korkmaz is the only pure shooter left in the team. He didn't have any other choice in terms of shooters not just wings.
Chris76
Sixth Man
And1: 318

Post#102 » by Chris76 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:46 pm

Hussien Fatal wrote:So is a anybody going to give Brett any Credit for turning this dude into a player? I remember people being pissed we didn’t take Pascal seems like everybody is happy with what we have in Furkan at the moment.

It was a good matchup between Korkmaz and Korver.

Korkmaz seems to have more playmaking skills. His floaters and passing gets some easy buckets.
SixthStreet
Sixth Man
And1: 1,546

Post#103 » by SixthStreet » Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:12 pm

I expect his 3P% to decline as teams start to gameplan him. But that in and of itself is a big win if it opens up space for the other guys. The eye test says his D has improved and as Brett has said it does look like he's "hunted" less but I'm not sure how playable he is in the playoffs still.

At a minimum, he's a really helpful regular season player and the Sixers need every one of those they can find right now.
Winejk
Bench Warmer
And1: 432

Post#104 » by Winejk » Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:04 pm

SixthStreet wrote:I expect his 3P% to decline as teams start to gameplan him. But that in and of itself is a big win if it opens up space for the other guys. The eye test says his D has improved and as Brett has said it does look like he's "hunted" less but I'm not sure how playable he is in the playoffs still.

At a minimum, he's a really helpful regular season player and the Sixers need every one of those they can find right now.

If Bellinelli can play in the playoffs, so can Korkmaz. He might have a short leash on him depending on how hot/cold he is, but he's going to get some minutes.
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,568
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#105 » by LloydFree » Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:04 pm

TTP wrote:
mithrandir17 wrote:
Hussien Fatal wrote:
I thought not

Even Brett credited his stint in the world cup for his increased confidence. Brett just gave him minutes because he didn't have any other choice.

Seems revisionist.

In the 6th game of the season when Embiid was out, Brett started Korkmaz (to my surprise) over Matisse, Ennis, and Mike Scott. At the time, I thought that all 3 were better choices.

Even in the 1st game of the season, Korkmaz received the 2nd most minutes out of the bench players (after Matisse).

Anyone who is willing to criticize Brett for his rotation decisions should also be giving him his due here. Otherwise you're a hypocrite. Furthermore, if you're going to argue that Brett didn't have a choice with his lineup decisions, then you can hardly criticize him for his rotation. How can you criticize him if by your own admission, he didn't have any other choice?

Of course it's revisionist nonsense. The podcasters and regulars on the boards, were up in arms that Brown was playing Korkmaz over Thybulle, Scott and Ennis.

Even in the postgame comments Brown had to explain himself to reporters, and he specifically said, "I have to grow shooters" when explaining why he was even playing Korkmaz. Now that he's "grown", now it's become 'Brown fell into the situation accidentally.'
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
ivysixer2000
General Manager
And1: 2,040

Post#106 » by ivysixer2000 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:29 pm

LloydFree wrote:
TTP wrote:
mithrandir17 wrote:Even Brett credited his stint in the world cup for his increased confidence. Brett just gave him minutes because he didn't have any other choice.

Seems revisionist.

Of course it's revisionist nonsense. The podcasters and regulars on the boards, were up in arms that Brown was playing Korkmaz over Thybulle, Scott and Ennis.

Even in the postgame comments Brown had to explain himself to reporters, and he specifically said, "I have to grow shooters" when explaining why he was even playing Korkmaz. Now that he's "grown", now it's become 'Brown fell into the situation accidentally.'

Wish Brett would 'grow' Ben into any kind of shooter......oh nevermind.
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,445

Post#107 » by Eyeamok » Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:19 pm

So he started Tuesday night and scored a grand total of 0 points? But the 76ers came away with a victory. So it was not a bad night. And in the long run it will probably work out very well for Korkmaz. He came back down to earth in epic fashion after putting up over 30 in the last two games. Hopefully Tuesday nights game goes a long way in showing him how fast things can change. Stay in the gym korkmaz, put up those shots get stronger...and do it all before the end of the all star break. :lol:

Seriously the guy can be very good as long as he does not believe his own hype keeps a level head and keeps on improving.
The Accession of Paul Reed is upon us !

You want it to be one way....but it's the other way.

Marlo
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,474

Post#108 » by youngcrev » Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:27 pm

Eyeamok wrote:So he started Tuesday night and scored a grand total of 0 points? But the 76ers came away with a victory. So it was not a bad night. And in the long run it will probably work out very well for Korkmaz. He came back down to earth in epic fashion after putting up over 30 in the last two games. Hopefully Tuesday nights game goes a long way in showing him how fast things can change. Stay in the gym korkmaz, put up those shots get stronger...and do it all before the end of the all star break. :lol:

Seriously the guy can be very good as long as he does not believe his own hype keeps a level head and keeps on improving.

Man, that was a tough situation to walk into.

"Hey Furk, national TV tonight against the Clippers. I know Al was our big off-season acquisition, but we're giving you the start over him! Oh yeah, no Pat Beverley tonight, so you've got Lou Williams. Good luck!"
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,568
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#109 » by LloydFree » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:08 pm

Eyeamok wrote:So he started Tuesday night and scored a grand total of 0 points? But the 76ers came away with a victory. So it was not a bad night. And in the long run it will probably work out very well for Korkmaz. He came back down to earth in epic fashion after putting up over 30 in the last two games. Hopefully Tuesday nights game goes a long way in showing him how fast things can change. Stay in the gym korkmaz, put up those shots get stronger...and do it all before the end of the all star break. :lol:

A lot of players come back to earth when they no longer have Zach Lavine guarding them the next game. It's not a coincidence that 2 of his 3 career highest games have come against the Bulls in the last month.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
phillynative
General Manager
And1: 2,753

Post#110 » by phillynative » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:41 pm

There was a moment during the sixers/clippers game where Furk who was pressing a bit cause he hit 0 threes stole the ball than proceded to keep it than ran to the top of the 3pt line and shot a air ball. He looked out of it in the eyes and I think that was the moment he came back down to earth. Lol.

The camera zoomed in on the bench reaction and you can catch raul neto looking puzzled and mouthing the words "what the ****" :lol:
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,445

Post#111 » by Eyeamok » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:34 pm

LloydFree wrote:

A lot of players come back to earth when they no longer have Zach Lavine guarding them the next game. It's not a coincidence that 2 of his 3 career highest games have come against the Bulls in the last month.

Now wait just a damn minute.....that can't be right!!!

Goes check the internets.... hmmm..24 against the bulls, 33 against the bulls, 34 against Memphis.

Hmmmm you may have a point.
The Accession of Paul Reed is upon us !

You want it to be one way....but it's the other way.

Marlo
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,905

Post#112 » by mjkvol » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:41 pm

phillynative wrote:There was a moment during the sixers/clippers game where Furk who was pressing a bit cause he hit 0 threes stole the ball than proceded to keep it than ran to the top of the 3pt line and shot a air ball. He looked out of it in the eyes and I think that was the moment he came back down to earth. Lol.

Shame, because his first two three's were both in and out. They go down and maybe it's a different night for him.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,474

Post#113 » by youngcrev » Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:27 pm

:wave:
It's me, Earth. Welcome back, Furkan.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers