Fix our away games...

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

Foshan
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 1,938

Fix our away games... 

Post#1 » by Foshan » Sun Feb 9, 2020 5:02 am

So, we are all obviously experts at everything when we are online :D so what do we need to do to fix our away performance? While there are obvious roster flaws, they are not nearly as evident at home as they are on the road.

Have you noticed anything that could be affecting away play so much? Does the ‘home crowd’ really make
That much of a difference? What could be / should be done to try to get us playing on the road like we do at home?

Thoughts?
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,081

Re: Fix our away games... 

Post#2 » by Kobblehead » Sun Feb 9, 2020 5:07 am

Get more ball handlers. Role players don't travel. Assisted shot makers feed off comfort, familiarity, and the energy of the crowd. Ballers ball no matter where they are.
PhillyPhilly
Bench Warmer
And1: 522

Post#3 » by PhillyPhilly » Sun Feb 9, 2020 5:31 am

We've very rarely had our best starting five In road games all year...it's been quite ridiculous tbh. So until the full crew play a good stretch of road games together, it's gonna be hard to see what the problem is imo. Embiid and Richardson have missed way too many road games and it's hurt us. It's just that simple.
kuclas
General Manager
And1: 3,898

Post#4 » by kuclas » Sun Feb 9, 2020 5:44 am

The last 4 road games. We simply have not been remotely competitive. Boston Miami and Milwaukee all held roughly 10 plus point leads most of the second half. Obviously Miami won going away big time.

But prior to those 4 road losses. Sixers simply have no executed down the stretch. I think 8-9 of their road losses this year have them within 4 points of the lead in the last 2 minutes. Very winnable games. Or leading in the last 60 seconds. And we managed to lose 9 of those games. It’s pretty scary.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,422

Post#5 » by 76ciology » Sun Feb 9, 2020 12:44 pm

Away games. Refs don’t favor us.

That means, less calls on Embiid’s foul baits and we can’t play aggressive defense.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
BigSleep333
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,632

Post#6 » by BigSleep333 » Sun Feb 9, 2020 1:43 pm

it has to be a mental thing. they are able to beat anybody, but it seems like they dont give a **** on the road. i dont know if a psychologist can put some fire in them, but i doubt it. they are who they are...conclusion: we need other players
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,446

Post#7 » by youngcrev » Sun Feb 9, 2020 2:26 pm

They actually shoot more free throws on the road and turn the ball over a little less.

The old adage that defense travels just hasn't applied to this team (101.4 DRTG at home vs 110.3 on the road). That, and they shoot like crap from 3 on the road (33.6 vs 37.6).

Maybe we just have to start traveling more to boo them since that seems to motivate them pretty well.
Bum Adebayo
General Manager
And1: 3,995

Post#8 » by Bum Adebayo » Sun Feb 9, 2020 3:04 pm

Obviously hire a better coach to motivate our players to play hard instead of coddling them?
Horrible takes since 2016
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,121

Post#9 » by Arsenal » Sun Feb 9, 2020 4:03 pm

youngcrev wrote:They actually shoot more free throws on the road and turn the ball over a little less.

The old adage that defense travels just hasn't applied to this team (101.4 DRTG at home vs 110.3 on the road). That, and they shoot like crap from 3 on the road (33.6 vs 37.6).

Maybe we just have to start traveling more to boo them since that seems to motivate them pretty well.

The worse defense is caused in large part by the worse shooting on the road.

Shooting doesn't travel. Our mediocre shooting is good enough at home, but not nearly good enough on the road.

Therefore, the solution is to improve our shooting overall.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,847

Post#10 » by mjkvol » Sun Feb 9, 2020 4:53 pm

The biggest problem is not having a closer, a guy who can get you a bucket to stem a tide and quiet the crowd. Too much dependency on drive and kick, and the threes don't fall on the road like they do at home. All the misses create breakouts and easy points for the home team, and it becomes like a snowball effect.

That, and lack of adjustments when things aren't working. The fast 10-0 runs are just killers on the road, and it seems like we're just waiting for them to happen.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,745

Post#11 » by Negrodamus » Sun Feb 9, 2020 5:54 pm

Move Tobias to PF. Start Burks at SG/SF. If Josh is incapable of getting that 3FG up, keep Shake starting (near 40% from 3 since starting; also one of our best passers).

Those are my two moves that I think can improve the Sixers regardless of them being home or away. And Horford should never share the court with Embiid again.
M2J
Starter
And1: 1,157

Post#12 » by M2J » Sun Feb 9, 2020 7:04 pm

Play better defense. play better defense by playing more intense. Play better defense and be more intense by being stronger minded.

Yes injuries have been affected for sure. the best stretch I've seen them play on the road recently was without embiid this last stretch
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,446

Post#13 » by youngcrev » Sun Feb 9, 2020 8:08 pm

Negrodamus wrote:Move Tobias to PF. Start Burks at SG/SF. If Josh is incapable of getting that 3FG up, keep Shake starting (near 40% from 3 since starting; also one of our best passers).

Those are my two moves that I think can improve the Sixers regardless of them being home or away. And Horford should never share the court with Embiid again.

Hmm, I think they could work together, just not with Simmons and Harris out there as well. I'd be interested to see how a lineup with those 2, Josh and 2 of Korkmaz/Burks/Thybulle/GRIII would fair. Do some high/low stuff with Jo and Al with the other guys spacing.

Feels like the biggest issue with Horford in the starting lineup is that with everyone eating up paint possessions, he gets reduced being a volume spot up shooter, something that he's not really suited for.
brannigan73
Rookie
And1: 600

Post#14 » by brannigan73 » Sun Feb 9, 2020 8:20 pm

They dont give consistent effort on the road.
Arsenal
RealGM

Post#15 » by Arsenal » Sun Feb 9, 2020 8:25 pm

youngcrev wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:Move Tobias to PF. Start Burks at SG/SF. If Josh is incapable of getting that 3FG up, keep Shake starting (near 40% from 3 since starting; also one of our best passers).

Hmm, I think they could work together, just not with Simmons and Harris out there as well. I'd be interested to see how a lineup with those 2, Josh and 2 of Korkmaz/Burks/Thybulle/GRIII would fair. Do some high/low stuff with Jo and Al with the other guys spacing.

Feels like the biggest issue with Horford in the starting lineup is that with everyone eating up paint possessions, he gets reduced being a volume spot up shooter, something that he's not really suited for.

That's exactly the problem. Our ENTIRE starting 5 wants to play in the midrange and/or the post. Everyone is constantly passing up open 3's, forcing Horford to become a stretch-4, which is obviously not his best use.

He should be asking for a lineup change more than anyone at this point. His numbers and effectiveness will definitely improve in a bench role, and he should still get 30 mpg.
Arsenal
RealGM

Post#16 » by Arsenal » Sun Feb 9, 2020 8:26 pm

Biggest problem: Spacing and shooting

Solution: Put our best spacer/shooter into the starting lineup, and let Al Horford come off the bench where he should be able to dominate bench units.

Start Korkmaz.
M2J
Starter
And1: 1,157

Post#17 » by M2J » Sun Feb 9, 2020 11:07 pm

Arsenal wrote:Biggest problem: Spacing and shooting

Solution: Put our best spacer/shooter into the starting lineup, and let Al Horford come off the bench where he should be able to dominate bench units.

Start Korkmaz.

I somewhat agree. But I do think that's just a Band-Aid

I don't think with horford is so much a ego issue in terms of him possibly coming off of the bench. We seen enough games were one of either empty or horford didn't play at all. that's again one of the reasons he's here. There will be games and series where he may be minimized. But during the regular season is mostly about creating your own identity and I think they want to realistically prepare for when horford is more needed in the playoffs. Korks defense and possibly pushing him off the line, may minimize him in a series.

This is clearly going to be a one-season experiment because there are a lot of flaws. Luckily there are movable pieces. Of course you can expect a lot of changes this summer if things don't turn around. so I really suggest to all the players involved to just play the best role possible for this team and they may actually be rewarded by going deep into the playoffs. Mainly defend hard, be willing shooters to try and generate spacing. For the sake of this season at this point. Ben too, needs to shoot the ball. Another quiet series, even one similar to the recent Buck's game.... Where he was efficient, but didn't get off enough shots due to his limitations on himself. He'll possibly be gone.
76ersForLife
Junior
And1: 358

Post#18 » by 76ersForLife » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:15 am

Need a new coach. On the road player substutions and use of timeouts to stop runs are critical. Brown sucks at both those things. Also closing out quarters by managing the clock is critical and Brown sucks at that too.

Just think about the way Larry Brown would micro manage every road possession compare that with Brett and its night and day.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers