ImageImageImage

So do we Like Brett Brown?

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, Foshan, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

Do you like Brett?

I like him
27
39%
Fire him now
33
47%
Undecided
10
14%
 
Total votes: 70

Hussien Fatal
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,285
And1: 304
Joined: Jul 07, 2006
Location: N-E-W Jers where plenty murders occur

So do we Like Brett Brown? 

Post#1 » by Hussien Fatal » Sun Feb 9, 2020 2:15 pm

Personally I love him as I think he has been given a tough situation almost every year he’s been here, and by some miracle he hasn’t folded.

I understand we haven’t performed up to many people’s expectations but with this roster t it looks like those expectations were unrealistic, and it’s not his fault.

They have the best home record in the league and may set a franchise record in that department. The road has been a completely different story and I’m not sure it’s completely his fault.

What does everybody else honestly think of him? Is he a good coach in a tough situation or Do you think he’s just not a good coach?
They call me Hussien Fatal its a two game table im robbin you **** cradle wit a knife in your navel....
Dave Meltzer
Ballboy
Posts: 17
And1: 8
Joined: Feb 07, 2019
   

Re: So do we Like Brett Brown? 

Post#2 » by Dave Meltzer » Sun Feb 9, 2020 2:19 pm

I'm indifferent. I don't expect him here next year. The way the team keeps making moves that the Hinkie fans hate I expect Stan Van Gundy to be hired in the offseason.
Kobblehead
RealGM
Posts: 30,514
And1: 12,725
Joined: Apr 15, 2010
 

Re: So do we Like Brett Brown? 

Post#3 » by Kobblehead » Sun Feb 9, 2020 2:22 pm

It doesn't matter what we think, it matters what the players think. The players are out on Brett Brown so he has to go.
Negrodamus
RealGM
Posts: 13,668
And1: 5,400
Joined: Aug 05, 2004

Re: So do we Like Brett Brown? 

Post#4 » by Negrodamus » Sun Feb 9, 2020 2:23 pm

If he’s not getting dinged for the road losses, then he shouldn’t be getting credit for the home wins.
Hussien Fatal
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,285
And1: 304
Joined: Jul 07, 2006
Location: N-E-W Jers where plenty murders occur

Re: So do we Like Brett Brown? 

Post#5 » by Hussien Fatal » Sun Feb 9, 2020 2:33 pm

Kobblehead wrote:It doesn't matter what we think, it matters what the players think. The players are out on Brett Brown so he has to go.


Why do you think the players are out on him? I haven’t seen that at all. Certainly don’t think they have gave up on him.
They call me Hussien Fatal its a two game table im robbin you **** cradle wit a knife in your navel....
Hussien Fatal
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,285
And1: 304
Joined: Jul 07, 2006
Location: N-E-W Jers where plenty murders occur

Re: So do we Like Brett Brown? 

Post#6 » by Hussien Fatal » Sun Feb 9, 2020 2:34 pm

Negrodamus wrote:If he’s not getting dinged for the road losses, then he shouldn’t be getting credit for the home wins.


You don’t think he should get any credit for how we have performed at home? I do think he deserves some blame for how we play on the road but it’s just night and day and I think that’s an effort thing.
They call me Hussien Fatal its a two game table im robbin you **** cradle wit a knife in your navel....
Kobblehead
RealGM
Posts: 30,514
And1: 12,725
Joined: Apr 15, 2010
 

Re: So do we Like Brett Brown? 

Post#7 » by Kobblehead » Sun Feb 9, 2020 2:38 pm

Hussien Fatal wrote:Why do you think the players are out on him? I haven’t seen that at all. Certainly don’t think they have gave up on him.


Lockerroom disarray, poor effort and body language on the court, comments from insiders that are talking to said players. Embiid is 100% out on Brett Brown. Simmons doesn't seem as adamant about Brown getting fired, but he doesn't listen to or respect him.
Hussien Fatal
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,285
And1: 304
Joined: Jul 07, 2006
Location: N-E-W Jers where plenty murders occur

Re: So do we Like Brett Brown? 

Post#8 » by Hussien Fatal » Sun Feb 9, 2020 2:45 pm

Kobblehead wrote:
Hussien Fatal wrote:Why do you think the players are out on him? I haven’t seen that at all. Certainly don’t think they have gave up on him.


Lockerroom disarray, poor effort and body language on the court, comments from insiders that are talking to said players. Embiid is 100% out on Brett Brown. Simmons doesn't seem as adamant about Brown getting fired, but he doesn't listen to or respect him.


Not saying your wrong but what evidence do you have to say Joel is 100% out on Brett?
They call me Hussien Fatal its a two game table im robbin you **** cradle wit a knife in your navel....
Kobblehead
RealGM
Posts: 30,514
And1: 12,725
Joined: Apr 15, 2010
 

Re: So do we Like Brett Brown? 

Post#9 » by Kobblehead » Sun Feb 9, 2020 2:47 pm

Hussien Fatal wrote:Not saying your wrong but what evidence do you have to say Joel is 100% out on Brett?

None. I think there's enough context clues to conclude that, though.
youngcrev
RealGM
Posts: 21,341
And1: 3,882
Joined: Jun 12, 2005
Location: Philadelphia(ish)
   

Re: So do we Like Brett Brown? 

Post#10 » by youngcrev » Sun Feb 9, 2020 2:49 pm

I like Brett in general. He seems a little over his head right now though. I think a lot of the issues are roster related, but he had a major hand in that, and he hasn't been able to figure things out. This is the first time during his tenure that I feel like the team has tuned him out and haven't shown effort at times.

If the team flames out early in the playoffs, he's likely gone, and likely should be. Hopefully Elton and the rest of the front office follows him out, because they're just as responsible.

It's crazy, you would have thought this thing was foolproof when Hinkie left.
mjkvol
Junior
Posts: 255
And1: 117
Joined: Apr 13, 2019

Re: So do we Like Brett Brown? 

Post#11 » by mjkvol » Sun Feb 9, 2020 2:51 pm

Mid season firings rarely result in success that season, but I don't see this group winning a championship this year, and that's the only real goal, isn't it? It just appears that the team has tuned Brown out, and his rotations and play calls stubbornly stick to his system instead of playing to the strengths of the talent.

Changes have to be made, primarily moving Horford to the 6th man role, and I believe a different voice will be necessary to make those changes and maybe to get in Simmons' ear about expanding his game. It might not result in success this season, but laying a foundation for next year might be more important at this point. Make the change.
creek48
Freshman
Posts: 68
And1: 20
Joined: Dec 22, 2019
 

Re: So do we Like Brett Brown? 

Post#12 » by creek48 » Sun Feb 9, 2020 2:52 pm

I think the players like and more important respect him. With that said after a while a coaches message and impact starts to fade. He has been here for a while and a new voice may be best. I would like to see him kicked upstairs
mjkvol
Junior
Posts: 255
And1: 117
Joined: Apr 13, 2019

Re: So do we Like Brett Brown? 

Post#13 » by mjkvol » Sun Feb 9, 2020 2:55 pm

creek48 wrote:I think the players like and more important respect him. With that said after a while a coaches message and impact starts to fade. He has been hear for a while and a new voice may be best. I would like to see him kicked upstairs


Absolutely. He has been a loyal soldier through all of this, and should be rewarded with another position in the organization. But at this point a new voice is desperately needed IMO to shake things up. Brett has maxed out, and it's time to move on.
Kobblehead
RealGM
Posts: 30,514
And1: 12,725
Joined: Apr 15, 2010
 

Re: So do we Like Brett Brown? 

Post#14 » by Kobblehead » Sun Feb 9, 2020 3:00 pm

youngcrev wrote:I like Brett in general. He seems a little over his head right now though. I think a lot of the issues are roster related, but he had a major hand in that, and he hasn't been able to figure things out. This is the first time during his tenure that I feel like the team has tuned him out and haven't shown effort at times.

If the team flames out early in the playoffs, he's likely gone, and likely should be. Hopefully Elton and the rest of the front office follows him out, because they're just as responsible.

It's crazy, you would have thought this thing was foolproof when Hinkie left.

Yup, Brett could have saved this franchise during the 2018 draft if he just took Gilgeous-Alexander at #10. Then we'd have our star ball handler to pair with Embiid and we'd be satisfying and/or surpassing expectations instead of failing to meet them right now. I don't know what he was thinking when he decided to focus on more role players (Knox, Bridges, Smith) fresh off that embarrassment against Boston.
rzzzzz
Veteran
Posts: 2,909
And1: 838
Joined: Feb 21, 2015
 

Re: So do we Like Brett Brown? 

Post#15 » by rzzzzz » Sun Feb 9, 2020 3:05 pm

mjkvol wrote:He has been a loyal soldier through all of this, and should be rewarded with another position in the organization. But at this point a new voice is desperately needed IMO to shake things up. Brett has maxed out, and it's time to move on.


i was hoping that was the deal when he took over as acting GM. his one move was Smith and getting the pick that moved us up for Fultz. then he didn't cotton to either one of them.

everybody likes Brett, but i don't see any players developing under him, i don't think his schemes match the roster, and the good coaches in the league generally out fox him during the actual games. make him club president, and for God's sake, get us somebody who really knows how to coach.
mjkvol
Junior
Posts: 255
And1: 117
Joined: Apr 13, 2019

Re: So do we Like Brett Brown? 

Post#16 » by mjkvol » Sun Feb 9, 2020 3:34 pm

rzzzzz wrote:everybody likes Brett, but i don't see any players developing under him, i don't think his schemes match the roster, and the good coaches in the league generally out fox him during the actual games. make him club president, and for God's sake, get us somebody who really knows how to coach.


Nailed it. Lack of player development has been huge, falling in love with pet players like TJ and Neto, awful in-game coaching, and the insistence on his scheme despite the talent on hand. Damn, it sounds a whole lot like Andy Reid's years with the Eagles, and the results have been similar.
rzzzzz
Veteran
Posts: 2,909
And1: 838
Joined: Feb 21, 2015
 

Re: So do we Like Brett Brown? 

Post#17 » by rzzzzz » Sun Feb 9, 2020 3:44 pm

mjkvol wrote: Damn, it sounds a whole lot like Andy Reid's years with the Eagles, and the results have been similar.


i read that Mahomes had to talk Andy into going for the long ball to steal back the game. (maybe if Donovan wasn't busy throwing up in his helmet, he could have convinced Andy to let him toss a long one to Owen, instead of literally running out the clock to let NE coast to the title.)
Negrodamus
RealGM
Posts: 13,668
And1: 5,400
Joined: Aug 05, 2004

Re: So do we Like Brett Brown? 

Post#18 » by Negrodamus » Sun Feb 9, 2020 3:51 pm

Hussien Fatal wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:If he’s not getting dinged for the road losses, then he shouldn’t be getting credit for the home wins.


You don’t think he should get any credit for how we have performed at home? I do think he deserves some blame for how we play on the road but it’s just night and day and I think that’s an effort thing.


Im not saying don’t give him credit, but one cannot celebrate one aspect (home wins) while minimizing his affect on the other (road losses).
User avatar
Arsenal
General Manager
Posts: 9,227
And1: 4,599
Joined: Jun 05, 2002
Location: Arlington, VA
         

Re: So do we Like Brett Brown? 

Post#19 » by Arsenal » Sun Feb 9, 2020 3:54 pm

Brett Brown should be fired for:

1) Not getting Ben to start shooting
2) Not moving Horford to the bench

When randoms on this freaking message board are calling out problems and solutions for them for MONTHS and he still hasn't made a move, it proves he's weak and needs to go.
#ThankYouSam | #TrustTheProcess
User avatar
Arsenal
General Manager
Posts: 9,227
And1: 4,599
Joined: Jun 05, 2002
Location: Arlington, VA
         

Re: So do we Like Brett Brown? 

Post#20 » by Arsenal » Sun Feb 9, 2020 3:54 pm

Do you guys think an actual great coach like Bud would allow Ben to embarrass and mock him by refusing to shoot???
#ThankYouSam | #TrustTheProcess

Return to Philadelphia 76ers