ImageImageImage

So do we Like Brett Brown?

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, Foshan, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

Do you like Brett?

I like him
27
39%
Fire him now
33
47%
Undecided
10
14%
 
Total votes: 70

User avatar
kingofthecourt67
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 9,856
And1: 3,414
Joined: May 03, 2004
   

Re: So do we Like Brett Brown? 

Post#141 » by kingofthecourt67 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:14 pm

PhillyFan11 wrote:While I’m not a fan of Brown and want him gone....is Jimmy Butler really the best source? He’s pretty close to the TO of the NBA, he has a history of undermining coaches. We’ll see how long it lasts in Miami, if he ends up turning on Spoelstra we’ll know Jimmy is a true crazy person.

But with that said, Brett has for sure done enough on his own to warrant not returning next year barring a miracle playoff run.


This. Not defending Brett Brown because he should have ran more PnRs and Butler is spot on about how that was handled. But his history preceded him. I’m sure Butler was somewhat difficult to work with.
mjkvol
Junior
Posts: 255
And1: 117
Joined: Apr 13, 2019

Re: So do we Like Brett Brown? 

Post#142 » by mjkvol » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:44 pm

PhillyFan11 wrote:While I’m not a fan of Brown and want him gone....is Jimmy Butler really the best source? He’s pretty close to the TO of the NBA, he has a history of undermining coaches. We’ll see how long it lasts in Miami, if he ends up turning on Spoelstra we’ll know Jimmy is a true crazy person.

But with that said, Brett has for sure done enough on his own to warrant not returning next year barring a miracle playoff run.


Totally agree that if Jimmy acts up in Miami it's pretty clear he can't be seen as anything close to credible. But you know what? I don't think it will happen there, because for one thing in Riley and Spoelstra you have a rock solid foundation in management, and for another I would bet they spelled out to Jimmy what they expected of him and what his role would be before he signed. And Jimmy saw the no-nonsense, professional way they go about their business.

I'd be willing to bet that there was no definitive plan laid out on how to utilize Butler here before that trade was made, and the same is probably true for Harris. The most damning thing he said was the fact that no one knew what the hell was going on half the time, or who was in charge. And to suddenly completely change the game plan the way Brown did before the Toronto series is the height of incompetent coaching.

Yeah, Jimmy might be a pain in the a$$, but too many things he said just seem to add up with regard to Brown and Brand.
Kova
Starter
Posts: 2,136
And1: 400
Joined: Jan 02, 2009
Location: Croatia - country of Drazen Petrovic, Toni Kukoc & Daro Saric
     

Re: So do we Like Brett Brown? 

Post#143 » by Kova » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:51 pm

kingofthecourt67 wrote:
PhillyFan11 wrote:While I’m not a fan of Brown and want him gone....is Jimmy Butler really the best source? He’s pretty close to the TO of the NBA, he has a history of undermining coaches. We’ll see how long it lasts in Miami, if he ends up turning on Spoelstra we’ll know Jimmy is a true crazy person.

But with that said, Brett has for sure done enough on his own to warrant not returning next year barring a miracle playoff run.


This. Not defending Brett Brown because he should have ran more PnRs and Butler is spot on about how that was handled. But his history preceded him. I’m sure Butler was somewhat difficult to work with.


Well, for starters, JJ Redick, sitting right next to Butler and who is known for having a great relationship with Brett (confirmed it on the video as well), did not counter to any of what Jimmy said. So there's that..
ankle420breaker
General Manager
Posts: 7,855
And1: 1,108
Joined: Sep 21, 2005
Location: South Jersey

Re: So do we Like Brett Brown? 

Post#144 » by ankle420breaker » Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:00 pm

Up until this year, Brett's been able to hang his hat on being a players coach and his ability to maintain a collectively upbeat and motivated locker room.

With sky-high expectations, his reputation has taken a beating this year (same can be said for Brand). Golden opportunity to retain one of the rare true stars we've seen come through here in the last 20 years and the player lays his logic behind leaving almost entirely on Brett's shoulders.


Sent from my SM-G970U using RealGM mobile app
User avatar
kingofthecourt67
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 9,856
And1: 3,414
Joined: May 03, 2004
   

Re: So do we Like Brett Brown? 

Post#145 » by kingofthecourt67 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:13 am

Kova wrote:
kingofthecourt67 wrote:
PhillyFan11 wrote:While I’m not a fan of Brown and want him gone....is Jimmy Butler really the best source? He’s pretty close to the TO of the NBA, he has a history of undermining coaches. We’ll see how long it lasts in Miami, if he ends up turning on Spoelstra we’ll know Jimmy is a true crazy person.

But with that said, Brett has for sure done enough on his own to warrant not returning next year barring a miracle playoff run.


This. Not defending Brett Brown because he should have ran more PnRs and Butler is spot on about how that was handled. But his history preceded him. I’m sure Butler was somewhat difficult to work with.


Well, for starters, JJ Redick, sitting right next to Butler and who is known for having a great relationship with Brett (confirmed it on the video as well), did not counter to any of what Jimmy said. So there's that..


JJ said "you know I love Brett" and had a great relationship with him
Aussiepiston1
Rookie
Posts: 1,186
And1: 227
Joined: Mar 12, 2009
   

Re: So do we Like Brett Brown? 

Post#146 » by Aussiepiston1 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:25 am

Bye bye Brett don’t let the door hit you on the way out
User avatar
Foshan
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
Posts: 9,715
And1: 1,275
Joined: Jan 10, 2009

Re: So do we Like Brett Brown? 

Post#147 » by Foshan » Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:59 am

Yeah, that 'tape session' with no one talking is pretty damning.
VDT
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,447
And1: 881
Joined: Oct 13, 2018

Re: So do we Like Brett Brown? 

Post#148 » by VDT » Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:40 pm

I think the issue has more to do with whoever makes the roster and trade decision than the coach. You basically had 4 players (Harris, Butler, Simmons and Embiid) that want the ball in their hands and it's almost impossible to please everyone. I dont think there was an easy solution for Brown and the blame should fall on those that assembled the roster. I mean, Brown let Butler handle the ball more against the Raptors (as mentioned in the video) and people were complaining about marginalizing Simmons. And i am pretty sure Simmons would not tolerate something like that long term.
mjkvol
Junior
Posts: 255
And1: 117
Joined: Apr 13, 2019

Re: So do we Like Brett Brown? 

Post#149 » by mjkvol » Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:39 pm

VDT wrote:I think the issue has more to do with whoever makes the roster and trade decision than the coach. You basically had 4 players (Harris, Butler, Simmons and Embiid) that want the ball in their hands and it's almost impossible to please everyone. I dont think there was an easy solution for Brown and the blame should fall on those that assembled the roster. I mean, Brown let Butler handle the ball more against the Raptors (as mentioned in the video) and people were complaining about marginalizing Simmons. And i am pretty sure Simmons would not tolerate something like that long term.


Pretty sure that it isn't the fact that he moved Butler more on-ball, but the way there was never any communication from the time Butler arrived, and then bam! he hands Jimmy the ball before the most important series of the season. Whether or not it was unfair to Ben, this is the kind of thing that should have been discussed and implemented long before it was.

It's another example of Brown's reactive coaching style. He has his system, and will only adjust way after it has become clear even to fans watching on TV that adjustments need to be made. Finally moving Horford out of the starting lineup long after it was painfully clear it wasn't working was a classic example.
User avatar
WVU
Rookie
Posts: 1,083
And1: 759
Joined: Feb 05, 2013
       

Re: So do we Like Brett Brown? 

Post#150 » by WVU » Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:37 pm

I've always been on the Brett Brown bandwagon but I think I've finally reached the point of wanting to move on. This most recent interview with Jimmy Butler (not the sole reason I've changed takes) was the tipping point. I think Ben and Joel, to reach their full potential together, need a new voice. What scares me is I don't trust FO or ownership to make the right hire. The only hire that would excite me is Jay Wright.. but he isn't leaving Villanova for here.
VDT
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,447
And1: 881
Joined: Oct 13, 2018

Re: So do we Like Brett Brown? 

Post#151 » by VDT » Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:02 am

mjkvol wrote:
VDT wrote:I think the issue has more to do with whoever makes the roster and trade decision than the coach. You basically had 4 players (Harris, Butler, Simmons and Embiid) that want the ball in their hands and it's almost impossible to please everyone. I dont think there was an easy solution for Brown and the blame should fall on those that assembled the roster. I mean, Brown let Butler handle the ball more against the Raptors (as mentioned in the video) and people were complaining about marginalizing Simmons. And i am pretty sure Simmons would not tolerate something like that long term.


Pretty sure that it isn't the fact that he moved Butler more on-ball, but the way there was never any communication from the time Butler arrived, and then bam! he hands Jimmy the ball before the most important series of the season. Whether or not it was unfair to Ben, this is the kind of thing that should have been discussed and implemented long before it was.

It's another example of Brown's reactive coaching style. He has his system, and will only adjust way after it has become clear even to fans watching on TV that adjustments need to be made. Finally moving Horford out of the starting lineup long after it was painfully clear it wasn't working was a classic example.


I ma just saying that it was hard to find a solution that would please everyone. Butler is complaining that they didnt adjust the system but Brown was probably afraid that he would alienate Simmons if he gave the ball to Butler. The blame is more on the one that assembled the roster and if Brown had a say in that without having an idea how to make it work then he is also to blame.

I think the organization and the coaching stuff is too self conscious with the questionable fit between Simmnons and Embiid and in their attempt to prevent them from asking out in the future due to some clash between them, they have somewhat paralyzed the team. As Brown says they should respect each other on the court but this has led to people not trying to step on each others toes and is probably a reason for the lack of leadership.
mjkvol
Junior
Posts: 255
And1: 117
Joined: Apr 13, 2019

Re: So do we Like Brett Brown? 

Post#152 » by mjkvol » Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:46 am

VDT wrote:I'm just saying that it was hard to find a solution that would please everyone. Butler is complaining that they didnt adjust the system but Brown was probably afraid that he would alienate Simmons if he gave the ball to Butler. The blame is more on the one that assembled the roster and if Brown had a say in that without having an idea how to make it work then he is also to blame.


I'm not absolving Brand by a long shot. But you'd think that it would be common sense to have thought out the X's and O's and where Butler would fit in the scheme before pulling the trigger on a trade. I have to believe that Brown was consulted and approved of the deal. Same thing with the Harris deal.

It just appears that two deals were made for players without regard for the fit and how they would be used, but just to get two notable talents here. You win in this league with a couple of stars and a lot of players who fit a specific role, and a scheme that maximizes the talent on hand. The Sixers thought that more 'stars' would outweigh the need for a solid scheme and role players to fit that scheme.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers