Total votes: 83

LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,568
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Re: So do we Like Brett Brown? 

Post#21 » by LloydFree » Sun Feb 9, 2020 3:55 pm

Kobblehead wrote:
youngcrev wrote:I like Brett in general. He seems a little over his head right now though. I think a lot of the issues are roster related, but he had a major hand in that, and he hasn't been able to figure things out. This is the first time during his tenure that I feel like the team has tuned him out and haven't shown effort at times.

If the team flames out early in the playoffs, he's likely gone, and likely should be. Hopefully Elton and the rest of the front office follows him out, because they're just as responsible.

It's crazy, you would have thought this thing was foolproof when Hinkie left.

Yup, Brett could have saved this franchise during the 2018 draft if he just took Gilgeous-Alexander at #10. Then we'd have our star ball handler to pair with Embiid and we'd be satisfying and/or surpassing expectations instead of failing to meet them right now. I don't know what he was thinking when he decided to focus on more role players (Knox, Bridges, Smith) fresh off that embarrassment against Boston.

What's not to understand? Gilgeous-Alexander refused to workout for anyone, and forced himself to the Clippers.

The 76ers had just wasted two consecutive drafts under Colangelo, picking bums like Markell Fultz, they hadn't worked out before deciding to pick to them.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,133

Post#22 » by Arsenal » Sun Feb 9, 2020 3:58 pm

Yeah I want to know who to pin the blame for the 2018 draft on. Is it Brett? BCB's leftover stooges? That rat Josh Harris?
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,904

Post#23 » by mjkvol » Sun Feb 9, 2020 4:03 pm

Arsenal wrote:Do you guys think an actual great coach like Bud would allow Ben to embarrass and mock him by refusing to shoot???

No great coach would have ever foolishly hung himself out to dry making an idiotic comment to the media like Brown did. A great coach would have identified this as an issue long before it became a punch line and would have been working with Simmons as part of his development since he was drafted.

With a great coach who understands how to reach players and maximize their talent, this wouldn't ever have been an issue. A lesser coach coddles the great player and communicates through the media. Brown is a good guy, but woefully out of his league with this kind of talent.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
Arsenal
RealGM

Post#24 » by Arsenal » Sun Feb 9, 2020 4:05 pm

mjkvol wrote:
Arsenal wrote:Do you guys think an actual great coach like Bud would allow Ben to embarrass and mock him by refusing to shoot???

No great coach would have ever foolishly hung himself out to dry making an idiotic comment to the media like Brown did. A great coach would have identified this as an issue long before it became a punch line and would have been working with Simmons as part of his development since he was drafted.

With a great coach who understands how to reach players and maximize their talent, this wouldn't ever have been an issue. A lesser coach coddles the great player and communicates through the media. Brown is a good guy, but woefully out of his league with this kind of talent.

Perfectly stated. This is exactly why Brown is a failure and must go. Lack of ability to properly handle superstar/difficult/mercurial personalities.
Hussien Fatal
Veteran
And1: 1,394

Post#25 » by Hussien Fatal » Sun Feb 9, 2020 4:15 pm

I don’t have too much of a problem with his player development like many do here. Dario, Cov, Grant, Furkan, Tj and a couple others have improved their game under Brett. It’s really over stated his lack of player development and I don’t think it’s fair. And as far as him not being good for our star players. He made Joel and Ben both all stars in their sophomore year. That’s kind of impressive.
They call me Hussien Fatal its a two game table im robbin you **** cradle wit a knife in your navel....
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,904

Post#26 » by mjkvol » Sun Feb 9, 2020 4:16 pm

Arsenal wrote:
mjkvol wrote:

Perfectly stated. This is exactly why Brown is a failure and must go. Lack of ability to properly handle superstar/difficult/mercurial personalities.

What amazes me is how few people seem to have a problem with a coach embarrassing a player publicly after doing nothing to develop that part of his game in all these years, but instead want to hammer the player, who was just handed a max contract for what he is (!!), for not jumping through the proverbial hoop and complying.

If I'm Simmons, my attitude is "f***k you, I'll start shooting when the next guy is brought in". To me, that was the low point of Brown's time here, and clearly showed how inept he is working with great talent.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
Arsenal
RealGM

Post#27 » by Arsenal » Sun Feb 9, 2020 4:18 pm

mjkvol wrote:
Arsenal wrote:
mjkvol wrote:

What amazes me is how few people seem to have a problem with a coach embarrassing a player publically after doing nothing to develop that part of his game in all these years, but instead want to hammer the player, who was just handed a max contract for what he is (!!), for not jumping through the proverbial hoop and complying.

If I'm Simmons, my attitude is "f***k you, I'll start shooting when the next guy is brought in". To me, that was the low point of Brown's time here, and clearly showed how inept he is working with great talent.

Yep, too much of a coward to deal with the situation for years, so he decides to use the media. Ben has obviously tuned him out and has zero respect for him.
creek48
Freshman
And1: 20

Post#28 » by creek48 » Sun Feb 9, 2020 4:27 pm

Arsenal wrote:Brett Brown should be fired for:

1) Not getting Ben to start shooting
2) Not moving Horford to the bench

When randoms on this freaking message board are calling out problems and solutions for them for MONTHS and he still hasn't made a move, it proves he's weak and needs to go.

No what that proves is Brett does not see this message board. Don't delude yourself this board is for fun it is not a conduit to the running of a team.
smittybanton
Sixth Man
And1: 398

Post#29 » by smittybanton » Sun Feb 9, 2020 5:04 pm

stay. our number one task this year was building a team that won't fall apart against top tier teams whne joel is on the bench. judging by the 'we're better without joel' crowd, that's been accomplished. now we have added some shooters to improve the offense. let's see. if so many think elton misconstructed this roster, then why does brett need to go for adjusting for the 18th time to new personnel? if so many think ben simmons should be shooting threes when he's bad at it, then why does brett need to go for not physically beating him or removing from the floor so we have a lesser chance of winning? i don't have a problem with elton, brett or ben. i am trying to be patient while we wait for our freak of nature point guard improves the one area where he's deficient which may take years, meawhile marveling at the chance to compete for the nba finals while doing so. hope burks is as good this year as ilyasova was two years ago. fingers crossed. go sixers.
UptownPhilly
Analyst
And1: 183

Post#30 » by UptownPhilly » Sun Feb 9, 2020 5:23 pm

I love him, but love doesn't pay the bills.
fkd215
Sophomore
And1: 118

Post#31 » by fkd215 » Sun Feb 9, 2020 5:46 pm

I wonder if it's possible to successfully coach both a rebuilding program and a contending program. It seems like, in terms of relationships with the players, you'd need opposite strategies to succeed in these two conditions: morale support when rebuilding, and holding players accountable when contending. It seems pretty difficult to set a precedent for being a coach who supports the players, and then have to turn around and be a taskmaster.

Overall, I like the guy as a human being, but I don't think he's the guy to coach us to a championship.
Last pick
Ballboy
And1: 9

Post#32 » by Last pick » Sun Feb 9, 2020 8:48 pm

fkd215 wrote:I wonder if it's possible to successfully coach both a rebuilding program and a contending program. It seems like, in terms of relationships with the players, you'd need opposite strategies to succeed in these two conditions: morale support when rebuilding, and holding players accountable when contending. It seems pretty difficult to set a precedent for being a coach who supports the players, and then have to turn around and be a taskmaster.

Overall, I like the guy as a human being, but I don't think he's the guy to coach us to a championship.

Yes, it could be possible with a professional NBA coach. He cannot handle talent, he's the responsible of the delay in development of our young stars, they lost years as every rookie drafted here in last seasons. Property should have fired him after first year in which it was clear, he stopped the process. He's a good guy for sure, but we need a professionist touching the right keys, not a player friend, particularly with unexperienced players. He will never give us last steps in become a contender.
Skates
Head Coach
And1: 3,776

Post#33 » by Skates » Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:22 am

I'd like him a lotttt better if Horford was playing 20 quality minutes a night opposite Embiid for the most part off the bench. The bench crew would be stronger with him and Burks to go with Thybulle and Korkmaz, and GRIII starting in his place with Tobi moving back to the four. Both units would be much better balanced and strong enough to go nine deep in the playoffs.
Simmons25
Analyst
And1: 2,235

Post#34 » by Simmons25 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:56 am

I like him as a person. I don't think he is the worst coach out there... but...

This team needs 1 of 2 things... a coach that won't take any s#1t from anyone... or a leader within the team that wont take s&1t from anyone.

Unfortunately doesn't have that type of leader. I don't see Ben getting up in guys faces over effort... and I don't see Joel doing it either. He just sulks when things don't go his way instead of leading. There is no Jimmy Butler on this team. So unfortunately... Brett needs to go because he ain't no Pop when it comes to disciplining players.

Pop would have benched Embiid for entire quarters for lack of effort and benched Ben for not shooting open shots... Brett refuses to do that.
WSmith23
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#35 » by WSmith23 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:27 am

Simmons25 wrote:I like him as a person. I don't think he is the worst coach out there... but...

This team needs 1 of 2 things... a coach that won't take any s#1t from anyone... or a leader within the team that wont take s&1t from anyone.

Unfortunately doesn't have that type of leader. I don't see Ben getting up in guys faces over effort... and I don't see Joel doing it either. He just sulks when things don't go his way instead of leading. There is no Jimmy Butler on this team. So unfortunately... Brett needs to go because he ain't no Pop when it comes to disciplining players.

Pop would have benched Embiid for entire quarters for lack of effort and benched Ben for not shooting open shots... Brett refuses to do that.

Oh I agree, pop and spurs would have been much tougher and for these younger superstars it would have worked for first few years. I do wonder though that the strict and confining regimented approach would work with either. Kawhi reportedly left among factors including because of medical but the military approach of the Spurs. If and hypothetically if you play that strict you will have trade requests.i don’t think that would be a bad result tbh but players will and can chuck tantrums
BigSleep333
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,632

Post#36 » by BigSleep333 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:47 pm

i like him, but as every coach, he should be measured on team success. if we fail to reach the finals, he has to go. (along with ben)
Mavericksfan
Senior
And1: 197

Post#37 » by Mavericksfan » Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:13 pm

Man the amount of hot takes in this thread is embarrassing. I'm a Mavericks/Sixers fan (live in Philly) and I catch pretty much every game and I've been to a few.

A few things I want to point out.

1) Ben is not ignoring Brett Brown. Brett's quote was about more than just shooting 3s and people have completely ignored the second half of the quote because they have a specific agenda they want to push.

This is the full quote

""This is what I want, and you can pass it along to his agent, his family and friends. I want a 3-point shot a game, minimum. The pull-up 2s ...I'm fine with whatever is open. But I'm interested in the 3-point shot. The mentality that he has where he's turning corners and taking that long step, that gather step, and bringing his shoulders to the rim and trying to dunk or finish tight, will equal higher efficiency, or getting fouled. That's the world that interests me the most. Those two things.""

The bolded is where we've seen Simmons make the most progress. He has been extremely aggressive towards the rim and has also improved as a FT shooter. He isn't ignoring Brett, he just hasn't accomplished everything Brett has asked.

2) Anyone questioning the Sixers player development hasn't been paying attention. They've developed many pieces in house from TJ,Roco,Korkmaz,Dario,Matisse,Ben,Joel,Wroten, Milton, Pelle. The list goes on.

3) The players all love Brett and have given him 100% support from the beginning. Go look at the exit interviews after the playoffs last year. Go look at any/ every interview where a player is questioned about Brett. They all support him and believe in him. Ben in particular adores Brett. Anyone saying otherwise is completely fabricating the situation to fit their agenda against Brett.

4) Brett is a good X/Os coach. He showed last year in the playoffs he has the chops to go toe to toe with Nurse in a series with the different adjustments each team made. He has also been improving each year and continually makes adjustments as the season goes and brings it all together once the playoffs come around.

I'm all for people questioning the team's motor on the road. I'm all for being frustrated with the vanilla gameplans the team employs against everyone else during the regular season. But some of y'all criticisms aren't rooted in reality.
Last pick
Ballboy
And1: 9

Post#38 » by Last pick » Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:32 pm

Mavericksfan wrote:Man the amount of hot takes in this thread is embarrassing. I'm a Mavericks/Sixers fan (live in Philly) and I catch pretty much every game and I've been to a few.

1) Ben is not ignoring Brett Brown. Brett's quote was about more than just shooting 3s and people have completely ignored the second half of the quote because they have a specific agenda they want to push.

This is the full quote

""This is what I want, and you can pass it along to his agent, his family and friends. I want a 3-point shot a game, minimum. The pull-up 2s ...I'm fine with whatever is open. But I'm interested in the 3-point shot. The mentality that he has where he's turning corners and taking that long step, that gather step, and bringing his shoulders to the rim and trying to dunk or finish tight, will equal higher efficiency, or getting fouled. That's the world that interests me the most. Those two things.""

The bolded is where we've seen Simmons make the most progress. He has been extremely aggressive towards the rim and has also improved as a FT shooter. He isn't ignoring Brett, he just hasn't accomplished everything Brett has asked.

2) Anyone questioning the Sixers player development hasn't been paying attention. They've developed many pieces in house from TJ,Roco,Korkmaz,Dario,Matisse,Ben,Joel,Wroten, Milton, Pelle. The list goes on.

3) The players all love Brett and have given him 100% support from the beginning. Go look at the exit interviews after the playoffs last year. Go look at any/ every interview where a player is questioned about Brett. They all support him and believe in him. Ben in particular adores Brett. Anyone saying otherwise is completely fabricating the situation to fit their agenda against Brett.

4) Brett is a good X/Os coach. He showed last year in the playoffs he has the chops to go toe to toe with Nurse in a series with the different adjustments each team made. He has also been improving each year and continually makes adjustments as the season goes and brings it all together once the playoffs come around.

I'm all for people questioning the team's motor on the road. I'm all for being frustrated with the vanilla gameplans the team employs against everyone else during the regular season. But some of y'all criticisms aren't rooted in reality.

Really? Shake Milton Total Minute Played in NBA 583, Norvel Pelle 163, Mathysse Tibulle 937 and you talk about player development? Ben and Joel ? Young stars that continue to live on their huge talent, without doing steps ahead in game knowledge, mentality and leadership. Jojo learned more in 4 months with Jimmy Butler than in years with Brett Brown. TJ...Roco...Saric...role players, doing every year the same things they did when started to play in our team. Same good things, same mistakes, zero improvement. Korkmaz: great shooter, luckily he had good teacher in Turkey. He's living a good moment, we will see about his development, i.e. playing consistently against solid defenses. For now he's just a monodimensional player as he was before coming to 76ers.

Wroten? Really? His "career" speaks by itself.
Mavericksfan
Senior
And1: 197

Post#39 » by Mavericksfan » Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:41 pm

Last pick wrote:Really? Shake Milton Total Minute Played in NBA 583, Norvel Pelle 163, Mathysse Tibulle 937 and you talk about player development? Ben and Joel ? Young stars that continue to live on their huge talent, without doing steps ahead in game knowledge, mentality and leadership. Jojo learned more in 4 months with Jimmy Butler than in years with Brett Brown. TJ...Roco...Saric...role players, doing every year the same things they did when started to play in our team. Same good things, same mistakes, zero improvement. Korkmaz: great shooter, luckily he had good teacher in Turkey. He's living a good moment, we will see about his development, i.e. playing consistently against solid defenses. For now he's just a monodimensional player as he was before coming to 76ers.

Wroten? Really? His "career" speaks by itself.

I'm not sure I understand your complaint here. They developed these guys into NBA players. Not everyone will turn into a star. Wroten's career ended due to injuries not ability.

Embiid/Ben have both progressed this season. I already touched on Simmons (without even mentioning his defensive leap) but Embiid has made progress with his passing and his willingness to sacrifice his comfort for the team. Kork becoming a competent defender and gaining confidence on offense has everything to do with Brett. He challenges every rotation player defensively and he's the one that gave Kormaz consistent minutes to develop him into a "bombah".

What exactly are you looking for when discussing a player's development if not seeing relatively unknown guys become NBA rotation players or seeing stars make progress in their games.
Arsenal
RealGM

Post#40 » by Arsenal » Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:49 pm

Mavericksfan wrote:Man the amount of hot takes in this thread is embarrassing. I'm a Mavericks/Sixers fan (live in Philly) and I catch pretty much every game and I've been to a few.

This is the full quote

Good post although I don't agree with everything.

The most unforgivable sin is not benching Horford for a wing. That has fractured our team and even the relationship with the fans. All to just save face for stupid decision making by the front office.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers