ImageImageImage

So do we Like Brett Brown?

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, Foshan, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

Do you like Brett?

I like him
27
38%
Fire him now
34
48%
Undecided
10
14%
 
Total votes: 71

MambaJuice
Junior
Posts: 357
And1: 191
Joined: Jun 29, 2016
       

Re: So do we Like Brett Brown? 

Post#81 » by MambaJuice » Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:19 pm

I like Brett although he does frustrate me sometimes. If he can't get us to at least the ECF with a good showing I'm ready to move on, provided there's a better candidate of course. Not moving on without a better option. Wright would be very tempting.
mjkvol
Junior
Posts: 255
And1: 117
Joined: Apr 13, 2019

Re: So do we Like Brett Brown? 

Post#82 » by mjkvol » Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:12 am

So here's Brown when asked about Horford not starting:

"I think that for the moment we're going to try to throw that rotation as you saw against the Clippers. With 27 games left, my mindset is to take this next period of time — seven, 10, whatever games — and really get precise and purposeful with our rotation, and then take that run home and polish it up. I think that 27 games is an eternity by NBA standards, and so there'll be a portion of what I just said that we want to crystallize the rotation, give thought and reward competition to some of the things that are still competitive. And then in that run home, final 20 games, 15 games, just tighten stuff up. And in my experience doing this, there is ample enough time to pull off what I just said."

This is my biggest problem with Brett. Why is it he seems unable to just give the media a short stock answer instead of sharing all of his innermost thoughts? Maybe he's auditioning for his future job as a TV analyst, because he's already just like them in that he never shuts the hell up. Just get the job done. Please.
SexDrugsPnR
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,341
And1: 706
Joined: Aug 09, 2014
   

Re: So do we Like Brett Brown? 

Post#83 » by SexDrugsPnR » Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:08 am

mjkvol wrote:So here's Brown when asked about Horford not starting:

"I think that for the moment we're going to try to throw that rotation as you saw against the Clippers. With 27 games left, my mindset is to take this next period of time — seven, 10, whatever games — and really get precise and purposeful with our rotation, and then take that run home and polish it up. I think that 27 games is an eternity by NBA standards, and so there'll be a portion of what I just said that we want to crystallize the rotation, give thought and reward competition to some of the things that are still competitive. And then in that run home, final 20 games, 15 games, just tighten stuff up. And in my experience doing this, there is ample enough time to pull off what I just said."

This is my biggest problem with Brett. Why is it he seems unable to just give the media a short stock answer instead of sharing all of his innermost thoughts? Maybe he's auditioning for his future job as a TV analyst, because he's already just like them in that he never shuts the hell up. Just get the job done. Please.


The other thing I take away from this is that it took him 50 something games to make this adjustment and now he's like "yeah whatever, 27 games is an eternity". I mean it's not all black and white, cause he did have the guts to stick with Korkmaz when people were still kind of low on him. But with 2/3rds of the season being over and the road record being what it is, you would have thought he could've shown a bit more willingness to experiment, given the "eternity" of an NBA season.
blargh
Sophomore
Posts: 103
And1: 96
Joined: Aug 15, 2012

Re: So do we Like Brett Brown? 

Post#84 » by blargh » Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:01 pm

mjkvol wrote:So here's Brown when asked about Horford not starting:

"I think that for the moment we're going to try to throw that rotation as you saw against the Clippers. With 27 games left, my mindset is to take this next period of time — seven, 10, whatever games — and really get precise and purposeful with our rotation, and then take that run home and polish it up. I think that 27 games is an eternity by NBA standards, and so there'll be a portion of what I just said that we want to crystallize the rotation, give thought and reward competition to some of the things that are still competitive. And then in that run home, final 20 games, 15 games, just tighten stuff up. And in my experience doing this, there is ample enough time to pull off what I just said."

This is my biggest problem with Brett. Why is it he seems unable to just give the media a short stock answer instead of sharing all of his innermost thoughts? Maybe he's auditioning for his future job as a TV analyst, because he's already just like them in that he never shuts the hell up. Just get the job done. Please.


If this is your biggest problem with Brett, then I think we’re doing okay. Are you really asking for more short, stock answers to questions?
Mavericksfan
Senior
Posts: 531
And1: 196
Joined: Sep 28, 2011

Re: So do we Like Brett Brown? 

Post#85 » by Mavericksfan » Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:20 pm

SexDrugsPnR wrote:
mjkvol wrote:So here's Brown when asked about Horford not starting:

"I think that for the moment we're going to try to throw that rotation as you saw against the Clippers. With 27 games left, my mindset is to take this next period of time — seven, 10, whatever games — and really get precise and purposeful with our rotation, and then take that run home and polish it up. I think that 27 games is an eternity by NBA standards, and so there'll be a portion of what I just said that we want to crystallize the rotation, give thought and reward competition to some of the things that are still competitive. And then in that run home, final 20 games, 15 games, just tighten stuff up. And in my experience doing this, there is ample enough time to pull off what I just said."

This is my biggest problem with Brett. Why is it he seems unable to just give the media a short stock answer instead of sharing all of his innermost thoughts? Maybe he's auditioning for his future job as a TV analyst, because he's already just like them in that he never shuts the hell up. Just get the job done. Please.


The other thing I take away from this is that it took him 50 something games to make this adjustment and now he's like "yeah whatever, 27 games is an eternity". I mean it's not all black and white, cause he did have the guts to stick with Korkmaz when people were still kind of low on him. But with 2/3rds of the season being over and the road record being what it is, you would have thought he could've shown a bit more willingness to experiment, given the "eternity" of an NBA season.


He did experiment plenty. I think the big thing is that early on the starting 5 was dominant and Al was shooting well from 3. If the Sixers unlock that lineup offensively it’s over for the league because of how good it is defensively.

But I dont get how anyone can complain about Brett giving in depth answers. I love his honesty and how candid he is with expressing his philosophies.
mjkvol
Junior
Posts: 255
And1: 117
Joined: Apr 13, 2019

Re: So do we Like Brett Brown? 

Post#86 » by mjkvol » Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:06 pm

blargh wrote:
mjkvol wrote:So here's Brown when asked about Horford not starting:

"I think that for the moment we're going to try to throw that rotation as you saw against the Clippers. With 27 games left, my mindset is to take this next period of time — seven, 10, whatever games — and really get precise and purposeful with our rotation, and then take that run home and polish it up. I think that 27 games is an eternity by NBA standards, and so there'll be a portion of what I just said that we want to crystallize the rotation, give thought and reward competition to some of the things that are still competitive. And then in that run home, final 20 games, 15 games, just tighten stuff up. And in my experience doing this, there is ample enough time to pull off what I just said."

This is my biggest problem with Brett. Why is it he seems unable to just give the media a short stock answer instead of sharing all of his innermost thoughts? Maybe he's auditioning for his future job as a TV analyst, because he's already just like them in that he never shuts the hell up. Just get the job done. Please.


If this is your biggest problem with Brett, then I think we’re doing okay. Are you really asking for more short, stock answers to questions?


'Biggest problem' was being a bit facetious, but yes, I prefer my coaches to be tight lipped with the media and just get the job done. I like the Belicheck / Pop approach to dealing with media cretins. There might be exceptions, but the most successful coaches generally aren't loquacious with the media, but use them as a tool when needed. Brett has diarrhea of the mouth anytime a microphone is close by.
mjkvol
Junior
Posts: 255
And1: 117
Joined: Apr 13, 2019

Re: So do we Like Brett Brown? 

Post#87 » by mjkvol » Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:14 pm

Mavericksfan wrote:
SexDrugsPnR wrote:The other thing I take away from this is that it took him 50 something games to make this adjustment and now he's like "yeah whatever, 27 games is an eternity". I mean it's not all black and white, cause he did have the guts to stick with Korkmaz when people were still kind of low on him. But with 2/3rds of the season being over and the road record being what it is, you would have thought he could've shown a bit more willingness to experiment, given the "eternity" of an NBA season.


He did experiment plenty. I think the big thing is that early on the starting 5 was dominant and Al was shooting well from 3. If the Sixers unlock that lineup offensively it’s over for the league because of how good it is defensively.


That lineup was always going to be limited, and would never have a chance to be truly 'unlocked' because of the fact that you have three players whose best work is done in and around the paint, and two others who aren't volume 3-point shooters, which that lineup would require to have any chance of being successful. The lineup was DOA as soon as teams learned that a zone would kill any chance it had.
Mavericksfan
Senior
Posts: 531
And1: 196
Joined: Sep 28, 2011

Re: So do we Like Brett Brown? 

Post#88 » by Mavericksfan » Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:24 pm

mjkvol wrote:
Mavericksfan wrote:
SexDrugsPnR wrote:The other thing I take away from this is that it took him 50 something games to make this adjustment and now he's like "yeah whatever, 27 games is an eternity". I mean it's not all black and white, cause he did have the guts to stick with Korkmaz when people were still kind of low on him. But with 2/3rds of the season being over and the road record being what it is, you would have thought he could've shown a bit more willingness to experiment, given the "eternity" of an NBA season.


He did experiment plenty. I think the big thing is that early on the starting 5 was dominant and Al was shooting well from 3. If the Sixers unlock that lineup offensively it’s over for the league because of how good it is defensively.


That lineup was always going to be limited, and would never have a chance to be truly 'unlocked' because of the fact that you have three players whose best work is done in and around the paint, and two others who aren't volume 3-point shooters, which that lineup would require to have any chance of being successful. The lineup was DOA as soon as teams learned that a zone would kill any chance it had.


They were shooting well from 3 prior to the J-Rich / Horford injuries

I think that hurt them more than anything.

That said the team did struggle on offense but it’s still dominant defensively and can be used to put teams away or disrupt offensive rhythm
Mavericksfan
Senior
Posts: 531
And1: 196
Joined: Sep 28, 2011

Re: So do we Like Brett Brown? 

Post#89 » by Mavericksfan » Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:25 pm

mjkvol wrote:
blargh wrote:
mjkvol wrote:So here's Brown when asked about Horford not starting:

"I think that for the moment we're going to try to throw that rotation as you saw against the Clippers. With 27 games left, my mindset is to take this next period of time — seven, 10, whatever games — and really get precise and purposeful with our rotation, and then take that run home and polish it up. I think that 27 games is an eternity by NBA standards, and so there'll be a portion of what I just said that we want to crystallize the rotation, give thought and reward competition to some of the things that are still competitive. And then in that run home, final 20 games, 15 games, just tighten stuff up. And in my experience doing this, there is ample enough time to pull off what I just said."

This is my biggest problem with Brett. Why is it he seems unable to just give the media a short stock answer instead of sharing all of his innermost thoughts? Maybe he's auditioning for his future job as a TV analyst, because he's already just like them in that he never shuts the hell up. Just get the job done. Please.


If this is your biggest problem with Brett, then I think we’re doing okay. Are you really asking for more short, stock answers to questions?


'Biggest problem' was being a bit facetious, but yes, I prefer my coaches to be tight lipped with the media and just get the job done. I like the Belicheck / Pop approach to dealing with media cretins. There might be exceptions, but the most successful coaches generally aren't loquacious with the media, but use them as a tool when needed. Brett has diarrhea of the mouth anytime a microphone is close by.


Phil Jackson and Steve Kerr immediately come to mind

I dont think it makes much of a difference either way
rzzzzz
Veteran
Posts: 2,910
And1: 838
Joined: Feb 21, 2015
 

Re: So do we Like Brett Brown? 

Post#90 » by rzzzzz » Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:54 pm

so do i like Brett Brown playing Joel to "fit" the roster? we just saw Joel hold his own against the best players in the game, playing their best, by playing as a true center. a position we all understand. i would like Brett Brown to "fit" whatever roster we got around Joel at true center, because he is capable of dominating any opponent from that position we all understand. our best chance at a title (and it's a good one) is with Joel playing as a true center. and i think we're already starting to see Ben figure out ways he can apply his considerable talents to better take advantage of the two all stars on the floor together. i do so want Brett Brown to succeed, making the most of what we already got. but if he can't, i still got no doubt that we got major league talent here, and someone ought to figure it out.
mjkvol
Junior
Posts: 255
And1: 117
Joined: Apr 13, 2019

Re: So do we Like Brett Brown? 

Post#91 » by mjkvol » Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:25 pm

Mavericksfan wrote:
mjkvol wrote:
Mavericksfan wrote:
He did experiment plenty. I think the big thing is that early on the starting 5 was dominant and Al was shooting well from 3. If the Sixers unlock that lineup offensively it’s over for the league because of how good it is defensively.


That lineup was always going to be limited, and would never have a chance to be truly 'unlocked' because of the fact that you have three players whose best work is done in and around the paint, and two others who aren't volume 3-point shooters, which that lineup would require to have any chance of being successful. The lineup was DOA as soon as teams learned that a zone would kill any chance it had.


They were shooting well from 3 prior to the J-Rich / Horford injuries

I think that hurt them more than anything.

That said the team did struggle on offense but it’s still dominant defensively and can be used to put teams away or disrupt offensive rhythm


It just made no logical sense. Three players who are most effective around the paint, and two others who, while good players, need the ball to be at their best. If the other two players were JJ and Korkmaz, then maybe you have something, but Richardson and Harris are not, and were never going to be the kind of spot up volume 3-point shooters that lineup would require. You saw how fast it imploded as soon as teams figured out that a zone would kill it.

I absolutely believe that it can be used in spots as a defensive lineup, especially in the playoffs to close out games.

The fact that it took Brown 50+ games to think of trying something different is pretty staggering. You would have thought that at least one of his endless dissertations to his buddies in the media might have made a light bulb go on.
Mavericksfan
Senior
Posts: 531
And1: 196
Joined: Sep 28, 2011

Re: So do we Like Brett Brown? 

Post#92 » by Mavericksfan » Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:29 pm

mjkvol wrote:
Mavericksfan wrote:
mjkvol wrote:
That lineup was always going to be limited, and would never have a chance to be truly 'unlocked' because of the fact that you have three players whose best work is done in and around the paint, and two others who aren't volume 3-point shooters, which that lineup would require to have any chance of being successful. The lineup was DOA as soon as teams learned that a zone would kill any chance it had.


They were shooting well from 3 prior to the J-Rich / Horford injuries

I think that hurt them more than anything.

That said the team did struggle on offense but it’s still dominant defensively and can be used to put teams away or disrupt offensive rhythm


It just made no logical sense. Three players who are most effective around the paint, and two others who, while good players, need the ball to be at their best. If the other two players were JJ and Korkmaz, then maybe you have something, but Richardson and Harris are not, and were never going to be the kind of volume 3-point shooters that lineup would require. You saw how fast it imploded as soon as teams figured out that a zone would kill it.

I absolutely believe that it can be used in spots as a defensive lineup, especially in the playoffs to close out games.

The fact that it took Brown 50+ games to think of trying something different is pretty staggering. You would have thought that at least one of his endless dissertations to his buddies in the media might have made a light bulb go on.


I dont this “50+ games” talk

The team started out pretty well

Embiid / J-Rich have both been out for at least a quarter of the first part of the season.

The team at full strength looked pretty good. Their road struggles is the biggest issue and it’s not all on that lineup especially when he already staggered them a bunch.

It was never the cleanest fit offensively but it doesnt need to be. The defense is downright dominant.

Take a step back from attacking Brett and think about the reasons you wouldnt bench you 110 million dollar player. Especially when the starting 5 werent playing poorly together.
mjkvol
Junior
Posts: 255
And1: 117
Joined: Apr 13, 2019

Re: So do we Like Brett Brown? 

Post#93 » by mjkvol » Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:41 pm

Mavericksfan wrote:
mjkvol wrote:
Mavericksfan wrote:
They were shooting well from 3 prior to the J-Rich / Horford injuries

I think that hurt them more than anything.

That said the team did struggle on offense but it’s still dominant defensively and can be used to put teams away or disrupt offensive rhythm


It just made no logical sense. Three players who are most effective around the paint, and two others who, while good players, need the ball to be at their best. If the other two players were JJ and Korkmaz, then maybe you have something, but Richardson and Harris are not, and were never going to be the kind of volume 3-point shooters that lineup would require. You saw how fast it imploded as soon as teams figured out that a zone would kill it.

I absolutely believe that it can be used in spots as a defensive lineup, especially in the playoffs to close out games.

The fact that it took Brown 50+ games to think of trying something different is pretty staggering. You would have thought that at least one of his endless dissertations to his buddies in the media might have made a light bulb go on.


I dont this “50+ games” talk

The team started out pretty well

Embiid / J-Rich have both been out for at least a quarter of the first part of the season.

The team at full strength looked pretty good. Their road struggles is the biggest issue and it’s not all on that lineup especially when he already staggered them a bunch.

It was never the cleanest fit offensively but it doesnt need to be. The defense is downright dominant.

Take a step back from attacking Brett and think about the reasons you wouldnt bench you 110 million dollar player. Especially when the starting 5 werent playing poorly together.


First of all, I'm not "attacking" anyone - we're having a conversation, and I'm having a little fun with Brett's love affair with the media.

I made the exact point you ended with earlier in the thread, that the fact that they paid Horford large money to come here and start probably had a lot to do with Brown staying with the lineup as long as he did. Politics, and just the idea of telling a guy you brought in to be a huge part of what you were doing that he was now a backup 5.

I still don't get why it took as long as it did, especially after the issues with the zone and all the road woes. Sell to Horford the idea of leading the second unit, and the fact that he was still going to be getting his 28-30 minutes, except in situations that maximized what he does well.

And I disagree with the fact that "it doesn't have to be the cleanest fit" offensively unless it is only being used in certain spots, like closing out tough games.
Mavericksfan
Senior
Posts: 531
And1: 196
Joined: Sep 28, 2011

Re: So do we Like Brett Brown? 

Post#94 » by Mavericksfan » Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:06 am

mjkvol wrote:
Mavericksfan wrote:
mjkvol wrote:
It just made no logical sense. Three players who are most effective around the paint, and two others who, while good players, need the ball to be at their best. If the other two players were JJ and Korkmaz, then maybe you have something, but Richardson and Harris are not, and were never going to be the kind of volume 3-point shooters that lineup would require. You saw how fast it imploded as soon as teams figured out that a zone would kill it.

I absolutely believe that it can be used in spots as a defensive lineup, especially in the playoffs to close out games.

The fact that it took Brown 50+ games to think of trying something different is pretty staggering. You would have thought that at least one of his endless dissertations to his buddies in the media might have made a light bulb go on.


I dont this “50+ games” talk

The team started out pretty well

Embiid / J-Rich have both been out for at least a quarter of the first part of the season.

The team at full strength looked pretty good. Their road struggles is the biggest issue and it’s not all on that lineup especially when he already staggered them a bunch.

It was never the cleanest fit offensively but it doesnt need to be. The defense is downright dominant.

Take a step back from attacking Brett and think about the reasons you wouldnt bench you 110 million dollar player. Especially when the starting 5 werent playing poorly together.


First of all, I'm not "attacking" anyone - we're having a conversation, and I'm having a little fun with Brett's love affair with the media.

I made the exact point you ended with earlier in the thread, that the fact that they paid Horford large money to come here and start probably had a lot to do with Brown staying with the lineup as long as he did. Politics, and just the idea of telling a guy you brought in to be a huge part of what you were doing that he was now a backup 5.

I still don't get why it took as long as it did, especially after the issues with the zone and all the road woes. Sell to Horford the idea of leading the second unit, and the fact that he was still going to be getting his 28-30 minutes, except in situations that maximized what he does well.

And I disagree with the fact that "it doesn't have to be the cleanest fit" offensively unless it is only being used in certain spots, like closing out tough games.


If your Brett comments were tongue in check then I’m sorry. It’s not exactly unusual to come across irrational Brown haters.

Anyway

I’m still not sold that this was an obvious move. The old starting 5 has a +8 net rating and before the trades they didnt exactly have a great candidate to start.
mjkvol
Junior
Posts: 255
And1: 117
Joined: Apr 13, 2019

Re: So do we Like Brett Brown? 

Post#95 » by mjkvol » Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:05 am

Mavericksfan wrote:If your Brett comments were tongue in check then I’m sorry. It’s not exactly unusual to come across irrational Brown haters.


Nothing would make me happier than if the Sixers won with Brett (and I'd be even happier if he stopped talking so much to the media), but I just don't see him as that level of coach. To me he's a perfect coach for what the original Process needed, but to win championships I just feel that we need a guy who isn't always reacting, and always seemingly a step late in making moves. At the highest level, I want a coach dictating to the other team. I hope I'm wrong.
Mavericksfan
Senior
Posts: 531
And1: 196
Joined: Sep 28, 2011

Re: So do we Like Brett Brown? 

Post#96 » by Mavericksfan » Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:22 am

mjkvol wrote:
Mavericksfan wrote:If your Brett comments were tongue in check then I’m sorry. It’s not exactly unusual to come across irrational Brown haters.


Nothing would make me happier than if the Sixers won with Brett (and I'd be even happier if he stopped talking so much to the media), but I just don't see him as that level of coach. To me he's a perfect coach for what the original Process needed, but to win championships I just feel that we need a guy who isn't always reacting, and always seemingly a step late in making moves. At the highest level, I want a coach dictating to the other team. I hope I'm wrong.


I agree with that for regular season Brett but he showed that in the playoffs last year imo
rzzzzz
Veteran
Posts: 2,910
And1: 838
Joined: Feb 21, 2015
 

Re: So do we Like Brett Brown? 

Post#97 » by rzzzzz » Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:00 pm

last night Brown was a terrible coach. the WORST! Embiid stakes us to a 20-4 lead, and then Brett uses Neto, Richardson and Burks in the worst possible ways. the decisions he made in the 2nd qtr were pure horror show. i'm sorry but right now we're putting post games and interviews with good ol' Brett over winning a title. c'mon, get a competent coach and a good point guard and let's have a couple of parades.
mjkvol
Junior
Posts: 255
And1: 117
Joined: Apr 13, 2019

Re: So do we Like Brett Brown? 

Post#98 » by mjkvol » Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:08 pm

rzzzzz wrote:last night Brown was a terrible coach. the WORST! Embiid stakes us to a 20-4 lead, and then Brett uses Neto, Richardson and Burks in the worst possible ways. the decisions he made in the 2nd qtr were pure horror show. i'm sorry but right now we're putting post games and interviews with good ol' Brett over winning a title. c'mon, get a competent coach and a good point guard and let's have a couple of parades.


Having Neto start and play as much as he did is the kind of thing that really makes me doubt that Brett has what it takes to coach a championship contending team. I agree, his moves throughout that crazy run (what was it, 46-10?) were off the charts horrid.

On a night that was crying for someone who could get his own shot, he has Shake and Burks sitting while G-League Raul is playing 28 (!) f***king minutes. Thank goodness Burks got going late or we would have certainly seen Neto down the stretch as well.
Hussien Fatal
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,287
And1: 306
Joined: Jul 07, 2006
Location: N-E-W Jers where plenty murders occur

Re: So do we Like Brett Brown? 

Post#99 » by Hussien Fatal » Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:32 pm

So the poll is dead even. The fan base is completely split on Brett Brown which is normal for this city when we have a good coach. I think we climb as high as the 3rd seed and make it to the finals. Even if that happens I still expect the fan base to be split on keeping Brett around.
They call me Hussien Fatal its a two game table im robbin you **** cradle wit a knife in your navel....
mjkvol
Junior
Posts: 255
And1: 117
Joined: Apr 13, 2019

Re: So do we Like Brett Brown? 

Post#100 » by mjkvol » Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:31 pm

Hussien Fatal wrote:So the poll is dead even. The fan base is completely split on Brett Brown which is normal for this city when we have a good coach. I think we climb as high as the 3rd seed and make it to the finals. Even if that happens I still expect the fan base to be split on keeping Brett around.


No it won't. We get the 3 seed and then get to the Finals and lose a tough series to the Clippers, there aren't going to be any halfway reasonable fans wanting Brett fired unless he somehow makes some brutal moves costing us the title.

Now, the operative words there were 'halfway reasonable'.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers