ImageImageImage

Joel Embiid

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

mike76
Junior
Posts: 357
And1: 315
Joined: Jan 21, 2018
         

Re: Joel Embiid 

Post#301 » by mike76 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:39 pm

76ciology wrote:Not saying blocks are everything.

Blk/g &Blk%
LMA: 1.6 & 4.4%
Embiid: 1.3 & 3.7%


Embiid gets less blocks now because guys are afraid to attack him at the rim on defense and just settle for floaters and jumpers (ie less efficient shots than layups and dunks).

There are some stats out there on the internet to back it up, by BBall-Index or whatever

It's why Embiid can look lethargic on defense (which he often does) and still be the best defender on the team (and in the league). Just standing in the paint changes how opposing offenses attack (to our benefit of course)
User avatar
76ciology
RealGM
Posts: 42,537
And1: 13,344
Joined: Jun 06, 2002
Contact:

Re: Joel Embiid 

Post#302 » by 76ciology » Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:17 pm

mike76 wrote:
76ciology wrote:Not saying blocks are everything.

Blk/g &Blk%
LMA: 1.6 & 4.4%
Embiid: 1.3 & 3.7%


Embiid gets less blocks now because guys are afraid to attack him at the rim on defense and just settle for floaters and jumpers (ie less efficient shots than layups and dunks).

There are some stats out there on the internet to back it up, by BBall-Index or whatever

It's why Embiid can look lethargic on defense (which he often does) and still be the best defender on the team (and in the league). Just standing in the paint changes how opposing offenses attack (to our benefit of course)


Except that the dfg% at around 6ft has been declining also.

-16% 2016-2017
-12% 2017-2018
-9% 2018-2019
-3% 2019-2020

-3% is vucevic and tristan thompson level rim protection numbers
“Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there is absolutely no point.”
User avatar
Mik317
RealGM
Posts: 28,968
And1: 9,376
Joined: May 31, 2005
Location: In your head....you have issues breh
       

Re: Joel Embiid 

Post#303 » by Mik317 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:29 pm

He doesn't contest as hard anymore.

Rookie Year Embiid was him at his best but he was super reckless ...he has toned it down ever since. Our drop coverage strat also doesn't help.

and then he just be lazy sometimes lol
#NeverGonnaBeGood
User avatar
76ciology
RealGM
Posts: 42,537
And1: 13,344
Joined: Jun 06, 2002
Contact:

Re: Joel Embiid 

Post#304 » by 76ciology » Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:25 am

Mik317 wrote:He doesn't contest as hard anymore.

Rookie Year Embiid was him at his best but he was super reckless ...he has toned it down ever since. Our drop coverage strat also doesn't help.

and then he just be lazy sometimes lol


He could also be playing smart and saving his body for the playoffs.

Crossing my fingers.
“Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there is absolutely no point.”
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
Posts: 7,903
And1: 1,740
Joined: Jun 28, 2002

Re: Joel Embiid 

Post#305 » by sixers hoops » Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:05 am

76ciology wrote:
mike76 wrote:
76ciology wrote:Not saying blocks are everything.

Blk/g &Blk%
LMA: 1.6 & 4.4%
Embiid: 1.3 & 3.7%


Embiid gets less blocks now because guys are afraid to attack him at the rim on defense and just settle for floaters and jumpers (ie less efficient shots than layups and dunks).

There are some stats out there on the internet to back it up, by BBall-Index or whatever

It's why Embiid can look lethargic on defense (which he often does) and still be the best defender on the team (and in the league). Just standing in the paint changes how opposing offenses attack (to our benefit of course)


Except that the dfg% at around 6ft has been declining also.

-16% 2016-2017
-12% 2017-2018
-9% 2018-2019
-3% 2019-2020

-3% is vucevic and tristan thompson level rim protection numbers


Not disputing your point, but you can tell the impact he had on a game last year when he would sit. The difference from him to Monroe, Boban, and Amir was indescribable. And now we have Horford and Pelle coming off the bench. The importance of having a competent defensive anchor is huge.
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
Posts: 7,903
And1: 1,740
Joined: Jun 28, 2002

Re: Joel Embiid 

Post#306 » by sixers hoops » Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:14 am

Mik317 wrote:He doesn't contest as hard anymore.

Rookie Year Embiid was him at his best but he was super reckless ...he has toned it down ever since. Our drop coverage strat also doesn't help.

and then he just be lazy sometimes lol


Embiid is a load. He only has 15-20 minutes of domination per game in him. Then he is hands on his hips and hunched over. Not sure if the stats back it up, but I feel like he is a 1Q monster, and as the game progresses, he launches more lazy threes, rim protection gets sloppy, and his turnovers increase.

This is why I talked myself into the Horford signing. Reducing Joel’s minutes while having a competent backup is a consideration. He needs more breathers than most stars. He is giant and has below average conditioning. Runs around on defense more than most centers. And is the focal point of the offense.
Kobblehead
RealGM
Posts: 30,618
And1: 12,742
Joined: Apr 15, 2010
 

Re: Joel Embiid 

Post#307 » by Kobblehead » Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:36 pm

Embiid's defense appears to only be selectively great, these days. There are far worse defensive talents than him grading out equal or outright better in some metrics. It's hard for me to even consider him an elite defender anymore.
VDT
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,582
And1: 923
Joined: Oct 13, 2018

Re: Joel Embiid 

Post#308 » by VDT » Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:49 pm

This years was weird due to the bad team chemistry. We will see how he will fare in the playoffs. It is possible that in the regular season he coasts defensively and relies on his reputation, as it is hard to expend energy on both ends of the floor as a center.
User avatar
76ciology
RealGM
Posts: 42,537
And1: 13,344
Joined: Jun 06, 2002
Contact:

Re: Joel Embiid 

Post#309 » by 76ciology » Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:31 pm

Is Embiid a perimeter shooter than Anthony Davis?

Looking at the numbers I think so. Davis is slightly better in mid range but Biid is a lot better 3pt shooter. Overall Biid’s Overall FG distance is also farther than Davis
“Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there is absolutely no point.”
Kobblehead
RealGM
Posts: 30,618
And1: 12,742
Joined: Apr 15, 2010
 

Re: Joel Embiid 

Post#310 » by Kobblehead » Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:10 pm

I think so. Never was really impressed with Anthony Davis' shooting range.
HotelVitale
General Manager
Posts: 8,740
And1: 4,449
Joined: Sep 14, 2007
Location: West Philly, PA

Re: Joel Embiid 

Post#311 » by HotelVitale » Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:36 am

76ciology wrote:Is Embiid a perimeter shooter than Anthony Davis? Looking at the numbers I think so. Davis is slightly better in mid range but Biid is a lot better 3pt shooter. Overall Biid’s Overall FG distance is also farther than Davis


My #s show AD having a clear but small advantage:
Jo Jo vs AD the last two years from 10-16ft, 17-3pt line, and 3pt land:
Joel: 39/36/35 in 18-19, 36/33/30 in 19-20
AD: 42/34/34 in 18-19, 40/34/33 in 19-20

Was close last year and AD's easily beating him this year.
ankle420breaker
General Manager
Posts: 7,915
And1: 1,137
Joined: Sep 21, 2005
Location: South Jersey

Re: Joel Embiid 

Post#312 » by ankle420breaker » Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:52 pm

Out today and considered day to day with calf discomfort. Sixers basketball is back baby.

Sent from my SM-G970U using RealGM mobile app
User avatar
ProcessDoctor
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,672
And1: 2,173
Joined: Jul 02, 2006
   

Re: Joel Embiid 

Post#313 » by ProcessDoctor » Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:09 pm

3-year championship window guys.
2019-2020 Philadelphia 76ers:

Milton/Neto
Richardson/Korkmaz/Smith
Harris/Thybulle/Burks
Simmons/Robinson/Scott
Embiid/Horford/Pelle/O’Quinn
thenbaman
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,361
And1: 238
Joined: Dec 01, 2008
 

Re: Joel Embiid 

Post#314 » by thenbaman » Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:08 pm

At least he made it one game. Sixer basketball is back to normal.
User avatar
76ciology
RealGM
Posts: 42,537
And1: 13,344
Joined: Jun 06, 2002
Contact:

Re: Joel Embiid 

Post#315 » by 76ciology » Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:41 am

Kobblehead wrote:I think so. Never was really impressed with Anthony Davis' shooting range.


AD looked like a way better shooter before recent play and before you look at the numbers. If AD is ever better it’s just not that much.
“Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there is absolutely no point.”
User avatar
76ciology
RealGM
Posts: 42,537
And1: 13,344
Joined: Jun 06, 2002
Contact:

Re: Joel Embiid 

Post#316 » by 76ciology » Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:42 am

ProcessDoctor wrote:3-year championship window guys.


Possible.

Possible also that this lockdown and the addition of Al (and Pelle) may prolong the peak of his career
“Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there is absolutely no point.”
User avatar
76ciology
RealGM
Posts: 42,537
And1: 13,344
Joined: Jun 06, 2002
Contact:

Re: Joel Embiid 

Post#317 » by 76ciology » Tue Aug 4, 2020 7:08 am

Not much talked about because we’re used to it. But Biid has been playing well these last two games. His shooting has been more accurate even inside the paint. His shimmy shake is also back (first possession against Poetl).
“Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there is absolutely no point.”
eyeatoma
RealGM
Posts: 12,650
And1: 1,540
Joined: Feb 25, 2005
Location: An Indian in Indonesia
     

Re: Joel Embiid 

Post#318 » by eyeatoma » Tue Aug 4, 2020 7:10 am

Dude is balling, playing like he did at the start of last season. I love it, just hope it lasts.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk
Bum Adebayo
Analyst
Posts: 3,498
And1: 1,373
Joined: Apr 28, 2016
 

Re: Joel Embiid 

Post#319 » by Bum Adebayo » Tue Aug 4, 2020 1:32 pm

He seems to be more confortable in the post, making better reads and decisions. That being said, he has been matched against below average defenders from what I've seen, the way he scored was too easy at times, this needs to be taken into consideration as well. He needs to do much better against Gasol-like defenders if we want to have a chance at a title.
LloydFree
RealGM
Posts: 13,731
And1: 9,720
Joined: Aug 20, 2012
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Re: Joel Embiid 

Post#320 » by LloydFree » Tue Aug 4, 2020 2:04 pm

Bum Adebayo wrote:He seems to be more confortable in the post, making better reads and decisions. That being said, he has been matched against below average defenders from what I've seen, the way he scored was too easy at times, this needs to be taken into consideration as well. He needs to do much better against Gasol-like defenders if we want to have a chance at a title.

Who are the "Gasol like defenders".
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down

Return to Philadelphia 76ers