Joel Embiid

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,693

Re: Joel Embiid 

Post#1121 » by the_process » Sat Jun 5, 2021 4:25 pm

kuclas wrote:
Kobblehead wrote:If we go down 0-2 or 1-2, you play Embiid no matter what.

The only thing that matters is playoff games. If we're holding him out to preserve him for the future, that's a fake-smart move. What if he suffers hairline fracture in his shooting wrist this time next year? Do we then shut him down in the postseason to preserve him for the next year? Can't keep doing that. Play him.

Why not just play him in game 1 to began with? Better to protect the home games at all cost.

The thinking of trying to preserve him for an extra week of healing doesn’t make much sense. If the knee is really swollen. He shouldn’t play the series at all. We don’t have a second alpha scorer like golden state had to let KD rest an entire series.

So if injury could get worse. Don’t play him. If injury is manageable as they say. Play him game 1.

Agreed. This injury isn't going to heal in a week or two. If it is truly manageable, then he needs to be on the floor Game 1. But I have no expectation that the Sixers will be honest about this with Jo or themselves, though. They are going to try and beat the Hawks without him and roll him out for the Conference Finals if they do.
stormi
General Manager
And1: 7,654

Post#1122 » by stormi » Sat Jun 5, 2021 4:56 pm

I'd be shocked if he's out there tomorrow. As positive as the reports are sounding, he still hasn't participated in game simulated practices.

Still eyeing game 3 personally. Maybe 2, but i'm sure he could be out there if it were a do or die.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,080

Post#1123 » by Kobblehead » Sat Jun 5, 2021 5:35 pm

kuclas wrote:

The only thing that matters is playoff games. If we're holding him out to preserve him for the future, that's a fake-smart move. What if he suffers hairline fracture in his shooting wrist this time next year? Do we then shut him down in the postseason to preserve him for the next year? Can't keep doing that. Play him.

Why not just play him in game 1 to began with? Better to protect the home games at all cost.

The thinking of trying to preserve him for an extra week of healing doesn’t make much sense. If the knee is really swollen. He shouldn’t play the series at all. We don’t have a second alpha scorer like golden state had to let KD rest an entire series.

So if injury could get worse. Don’t play him. If injury is manageable as they say. Play him game 1.

If Dwight Howard is a reliable narrator, I would play him.
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,108

Post#1124 » by Arsenal » Sat Jun 5, 2021 6:05 pm

kuclas wrote:

Absurd hot take.

One week could make a HUGE difference in swelling and pain. You do realize injuries tend to heal over time right?
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,691

Post#1125 » by rzzzzz » Sat Jun 5, 2021 9:13 pm

stormi wrote:I'd be shocked if he's out there tomorrow. As positive as the reports are sounding, he still hasn't participated in game simulated practices.

Still eyeing game 3 personally. Maybe 2, but i'm sure he could be out there if it were a do or die.

If they manage to win tomorrow, they’ll keep him rested until game 3. If they lose…well, I hope he’s got the message about keeping grounded and avoiding any more bad landings.
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,448

Post#1126 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Sat Jun 5, 2021 9:36 pm

They'll play him and this will come back to bite us right in the ass. Personally, I wouldn't do it. But...this narrative is getting old at this point. He's not a baby anymore. Maybe they should just play him. It's so confusing.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,080

Post#1127 » by Kobblehead » Sat Jun 5, 2021 10:05 pm

ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:They'll play him and this will come back to bite us right in the ass. Personally, I wouldn't do it. But...this narrative is getting old at this point. He's not a baby anymore. Maybe they should just play him. It's so confusing.

Doesn't seem like there is a "right way" to play this. We've tried the load management route. He gets hurt anyway. So I say to just play him, at this point.
elchengue20
Sixth Man
And1: 1,468

Post#1128 » by elchengue20 » Sat Jun 5, 2021 10:06 pm

Man it is a really tough call.

I woudnt play him but i also getting tired of this situation. Also Ben getting hurt last season makes it even worse.
eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 10,966

Post#1129 » by eyeatoma » Sun Jun 6, 2021 1:01 am

Read on Twitter
?s=19

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk
SixthStreet
Sixth Man
And1: 1,525

Post#1130 » by SixthStreet » Sun Jun 6, 2021 2:35 am

If I were Joshua Harris, I'd make the executive call to rest Embiid until a game 7 or the ECF. Until then let the rest of the team sink or swim.
cool93
Analyst
And1: 1,992

Post#1131 » by cool93 » Sun Jun 6, 2021 4:38 am

SixthStreet wrote:If I were Joshua Harris, I'd make the executive call to rest Embiid until a game 7 or the ECF. Until then let the rest of the team sink or swim.
There is literally 0 chance we can force game 7 against Nets/Bucks without Embiid

Sent from my G3416 using RealGM mobile app
GutUNC
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,029

Post#1132 » by GutUNC » Sun Jun 6, 2021 1:43 pm

SixthStreet wrote:If I were Joshua Harris, I'd make the executive call to rest Embiid until a game 7 or the ECF. Until then let the rest of the team sink or swim.

If there's 1 thing I know I love from my sports teams, it's when ownership unilaterally decides to overrule players and the medical staff to make personnel decisions. There's simply no downside to that plan.
GDTBATH
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,691

Post#1133 » by rzzzzz » Mon Jun 7, 2021 2:50 am

39 points. Good news is if he can play at this level the rest of the way, we should at least beat the Hawks with better managed games. Hated to see him back on the floor going all out as we tried for the last minute comeback.
ConstableChaos
Junior
And1: 205

Post#1134 » by ConstableChaos » Mon Jun 7, 2021 2:58 am

The best part is he looked fantastic offensively - probably 90% of how he's looked this year

Defending the pick and roll with Young is another question, which i doubt a 100% Embiid has answers to
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,791

Post#1135 » by Stanford » Wed Jun 9, 2021 8:51 pm

Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,697

Post#1136 » by Negrodamus » Wed Jun 9, 2021 9:10 pm

Look at all the great stuff Embiid is doing in the playoffs! Now apply that to the regular season MVP award please!

Airtight argument.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,397

Post#1137 » by 76ciology » Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:48 am

I dont want it to happen.

But why wont Biid just a trade out of philly?

He just fits this category based on history of superstars who tries to carry his team and fails. Garnett.. bron.. kd..

We wont likely be able to get him another franchise player to play with. And until then he wont be able to win an MVP with the heavy physical burden of it carrying our team that would lead him to miss out games. While he wont be able to win a championship by just a CJ Mccullom (who blazers is looking to dump for quite some time already) or the current squad.

Could he wait for another season or two when we’ll be in a better position to strike for a deal? I think in a season or two he’ll be like 2020 Giannis in the offseason where he’d dictate the roster or else he’d contemplate about asking out.

The best case scenario for him is to play alongside another franchise player. This will help him win an MVP, win a championship and prolong his career.

The alternative scenario for him is to stay here where he keeps holding on his knee everytime he lands, he keeps putting his arms around his waist because of fatigue, where he wont win MVP because of missing games and he wont win a championship because the team is not good enough.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
syntax
Sixth Man
And1: 651

Post#1138 » by syntax » Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:52 am

Remember Embiid going 0-12 in the 2nd half?

How about 8 turnovers in game 7.

Let's not act like Embiid didn't play his part in losing to the Hawks.
Murray_17
RealGM
And1: 9,958

Post#1139 » by Murray_17 » Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:00 am

syntax wrote:Remember Embiid going 0-12 in the 2nd half?

This has been adressed like 20 times already.

It's obvious Embiid is gonna have a lot of turnovers when he has to start creating his own offense from the 3 point line or iso directly from that point on or with his back to the basket.

Specially if he can be easily doubled because Ben is stationed on the dunker spot.
syntax
Sixth Man
And1: 651

Post#1140 » by syntax » Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:06 am

Murray_17 wrote:
syntax wrote:Remember Embiid going 0-12 in the 2nd half?

This has been adressed like 20 times already.

It's obvious Embiid is gonna have a lot of turnovers when he has to start creating his own offense from the 3 point line or iso directly from that point on or with his back to the basket.

Specially if he can be easily doubled because Ben is stationed on the dunker spot.

If he's doubled find the open man. Stop giving his terrible passing out of double teams a free pass.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers