ImageImageImage

Joel Embiid

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

User avatar
Bum Adebayo
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,184
And1: 1,827
Joined: Apr 28, 2016
Location: SimmonsWillNeverBeGood
 

Re: Joel Embiid 

Post#1101 » by Bum Adebayo » Fri Jun 4, 2021 11:52 am

There is no chance at a championship though, Nets made sure there is no chance with another superstar collusion ala GSW 2.0, they've ruined basketball again.
If there was a real chance at winning a championship, then it could be worth it to play him, but the reward is so little that it doesn't make any sense.
Member of TSU - Trade Simmons University
Ben Simmons sucks, and you know it.
phillynative
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,582
And1: 904
Joined: Dec 13, 2014

Re: Joel Embiid 

Post#1102 » by phillynative » Fri Jun 4, 2021 12:04 pm

Bum Adebayo wrote:There is no chance at a championship though, Nets made sure there is no chance with another superstar collusion ala GSW 2.0, they've ruined basketball again.
If there was a real chance at winning a championship, then it could be worth it to play him, but the reward is so little that it doesn't make any sense.


So every playoff team should just pack it up right now huh
User avatar
Bum Adebayo
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,184
And1: 1,827
Joined: Apr 28, 2016
Location: SimmonsWillNeverBeGood
 

Re: Joel Embiid 

Post#1103 » by Bum Adebayo » Fri Jun 4, 2021 12:08 pm

phillynative wrote:
Bum Adebayo wrote:There is no chance at a championship though, Nets made sure there is no chance with another superstar collusion ala GSW 2.0, they've ruined basketball again.
If there was a real chance at winning a championship, then it could be worth it to play him, but the reward is so little that it doesn't make any sense.


So every playoff team should just pack it up right now huh


If the reward is much lower than the risk then yes, but for most players/teams that is not the case, Embiid is clearly at a much higher risk here because of this lingering injury.
Member of TSU - Trade Simmons University
Ben Simmons sucks, and you know it.
Kobblehead
RealGM
Posts: 33,711
And1: 14,309
Joined: Apr 15, 2010
 

Re: Joel Embiid 

Post#1104 » by Kobblehead » Fri Jun 4, 2021 12:37 pm

The Nets are not getting passed a healthy Milwaukee. No chance.
kuclas
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,028
And1: 2,269
Joined: Nov 08, 2016
     

Re: Joel Embiid 

Post#1105 » by kuclas » Fri Jun 4, 2021 12:51 pm

Bum Adebayo wrote:
phillynative wrote:
Bum Adebayo wrote:There is no chance at a championship though, Nets made sure there is no chance with another superstar collusion ala GSW 2.0, they've ruined basketball again.
If there was a real chance at winning a championship, then it could be worth it to play him, but the reward is so little that it doesn't make any sense.


So every playoff team should just pack it up right now huh


If the reward is much lower than the risk then yes, but for most players/teams that is not the case, Embiid is clearly at a much higher risk here because of this lingering injury.


Bucks barely won both games on their home court with healthy roster playing playoff intensity basketball. Now they missing donte. They are very thin at guard.

People treat bucks trashing the heat and having them the best team. The heat are who they are. Just like last season. Between a 4-6 seed. Heat were a 4-6 seed last season. Nothing has changed. In fact. Heat got a little worst losing crowder and herro partying too much.

Bucks pack the paint and the heat went cold from outside.

The nets were obviously missing harden. Are
The bucks gonna to let harden shoot wide open 3 all day? Cause they don’t defend the 3 well due to them packing the paint focus. But this is the problem for the bucks. Harden can blow by most defenders on the perimeter and take it to the rim. Who’s gonna to defend harden on the perimeter now?
BNelley24
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,394
And1: 593
Joined: Jul 17, 2008
       

Re: Joel Embiid 

Post#1106 » by BNelley24 » Fri Jun 4, 2021 12:56 pm

I wouldn't have been shocked if Embiid had the tear most of the year. Well never know.

I am still kind of pissed at Joel for making the play he did. It was an unnecessary & out of control drive. When a QB doesnt slide and gets hurt we blame him. I kind of feel the same way about this
kuclas
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,028
And1: 2,269
Joined: Nov 08, 2016
     

Re: Joel Embiid 

Post#1107 » by kuclas » Fri Jun 4, 2021 1:21 pm

Do the Sixers need to list Embiid as questionable doubtful or out by a certain time on Saturday before Sunday 1pm game?
User avatar
Bum Adebayo
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,184
And1: 1,827
Joined: Apr 28, 2016
Location: SimmonsWillNeverBeGood
 

Re: Joel Embiid 

Post#1108 » by Bum Adebayo » Fri Jun 4, 2021 2:06 pm

kuclas wrote:
Bum Adebayo wrote:
phillynative wrote:
So every playoff team should just pack it up right now huh


If the reward is much lower than the risk then yes, but for most players/teams that is not the case, Embiid is clearly at a much higher risk here because of this lingering injury.


Bucks barely won both games on their home court with healthy roster playing playoff intensity basketball. Now they missing donte. They are very thin at guard.

People treat bucks trashing the heat and having them the best team. The heat are who they are. Just like last season. Between a 4-6 seed. Heat were a 4-6 seed last season. Nothing has changed. In fact. Heat got a little worst losing crowder and herro partying too much.

Bucks pack the paint and the heat went cold from outside.

The nets were obviously missing harden. Are
The bucks gonna to let harden shoot wide open 3 all day? Cause they don’t defend the 3 well due to them packing the paint focus. But this is the problem for the bucks. Harden can blow by most defenders on the perimeter and take it to the rim. Who’s gonna to defend harden on the perimeter now?


Nobody can beat this Nets, people are in for a rude awakening if they think they can be beaten, especially when I don't consider the rest of teams anything special compared to most past champions.
Member of TSU - Trade Simmons University
Ben Simmons sucks, and you know it.
Skates
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,967
And1: 2,094
Joined: Feb 18, 2008
       

Re: Joel Embiid 

Post#1109 » by Skates » Fri Jun 4, 2021 2:27 pm

The Nets don't have anyone injured now, but just like any of the other top teams and more than most their chances of winning count of staying healthy in a tough series when you have two guys that had serious injuries this year, with Durant having them over multiple years, and Kyrie always a danger to get hurt and/or simply go on a mental vacation. This year is about surviving to the Trophy as much as it is about talent.
kuclas
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,028
And1: 2,269
Joined: Nov 08, 2016
     

Re: Joel Embiid 

Post#1110 » by kuclas » Fri Jun 4, 2021 3:39 pm

Bum Adebayo wrote:
kuclas wrote:
Bum Adebayo wrote:
If the reward is much lower than the risk then yes, but for most players/teams that is not the case, Embiid is clearly at a much higher risk here because of this lingering injury.


Bucks barely won both games on their home court with healthy roster playing playoff intensity basketball. Now they missing donte. They are very thin at guard.

People treat bucks trashing the heat and having them the best team. The heat are who they are. Just like last season. Between a 4-6 seed. Heat were a 4-6 seed last season. Nothing has changed. In fact. Heat got a little worst losing crowder and herro partying too much.

Bucks pack the paint and the heat went cold from outside.

The nets were obviously missing harden. Are
The bucks gonna to let harden shoot wide open 3 all day? Cause they don’t defend the 3 well due to them packing the paint focus. But this is the problem for the bucks. Harden can blow by most defenders on the perimeter and take it to the rim. Who’s gonna to defend harden on the perimeter now?


Nobody can beat this Nets, people are in for a rude awakening if they think they can be beaten, especially when I don't consider the rest of teams anything special compared to most past champions.

Agree Nets are odds on favorite.

But a healthy Sixers team with home court actually has the best chance. Unfortunately it’s not the case anymore.

We are so good at home. We have given harden problems in the past AT HOME. Let Kyrie score his points. KD isn’t the same player anymore. Sure he’s the most gifted offensive player of his gen (moreso than harden ) but his defense isn’t the same after the injury. You can see it.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
Posts: 32,069
And1: 14,132
Joined: Jan 25, 2005

Re: Joel Embiid 

Post#1111 » by Sixerscan » Fri Jun 4, 2021 4:23 pm

If Embiid is hurt he's hurt, but they're not gonna let the fact that the Nets or Bucks might be really good impact whether they shut him down.

He's just as likely to play in that series if the opponent was the 1992 Dream team or the 2017 Warriors or the Nets or the Bucks or some other theoretical matchup you think the Sixers are even with.

To suggest otherwise is, frankly, loser talk. This team has made one conference finals in 35 years, if you're lucky enough to get there again you play to win it.
thenbaman
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,463
And1: 275
Joined: Dec 01, 2008
 

Re: Joel Embiid 

Post#1112 » by thenbaman » Fri Jun 4, 2021 5:07 pm

Bum Adebayo wrote:
kuclas wrote:
Bum Adebayo wrote:
If the reward is much lower than the risk then yes, but for most players/teams that is not the case, Embiid is clearly at a much higher risk here because of this lingering injury.


Bucks barely won both games on their home court with healthy roster playing playoff intensity basketball. Now they missing donte. They are very thin at guard.

People treat bucks trashing the heat and having them the best team. The heat are who they are. Just like last season. Between a 4-6 seed. Heat were a 4-6 seed last season. Nothing has changed. In fact. Heat got a little worst losing crowder and herro partying too much.

Bucks pack the paint and the heat went cold from outside.

The nets were obviously missing harden. Are
The bucks gonna to let harden shoot wide open 3 all day? Cause they don’t defend the 3 well due to them packing the paint focus. But this is the problem for the bucks. Harden can blow by most defenders on the perimeter and take it to the rim. Who’s gonna to defend harden on the perimeter now?


Nobody can beat this Nets, people are in for a rude awakening if they think they can be beaten, especially when I don't consider the rest of teams anything special compared to most past champions.


LOL
:noway:
jotachase
Ballboy
Posts: 42
And1: 49
Joined: Jul 08, 2019
 

Re: Joel Embiid 

Post#1113 » by jotachase » Fri Jun 4, 2021 9:01 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20
LloydFree
RealGM
Posts: 15,434
And1: 11,196
Joined: Aug 20, 2012
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Re: Joel Embiid 

Post#1114 » by LloydFree » Fri Jun 4, 2021 10:17 pm

kuclas wrote:
Bum Adebayo wrote:
phillynative wrote:
So every playoff team should just pack it up right now huh


If the reward is much lower than the risk then yes, but for most players/teams that is not the case, Embiid is clearly at a much higher risk here because of this lingering injury.


Bucks barely won both games on their home court with healthy roster playing playoff intensity basketball. Now they missing donte. They are very thin at guard.

People treat bucks trashing the heat and having them the best team. The heat are who they are. Just like last season. Between a 4-6 seed. Heat were a 4-6 seed last season. Nothing has changed. In fact. Heat got a little worst losing crowder and herro partying too much.

Bucks pack the paint and the heat went cold from outside.

The nets were obviously missing harden. Are
The bucks gonna to let harden shoot wide open 3 all day? Cause they don’t defend the 3 well due to them packing the paint focus
. But this is the problem for the bucks. Harden can blow by most defenders on the perimeter and take it to the rim. Who’s gonna to defend harden on the perimeter now?

It's true that the Bucks pack the paint and allow the 3 point shot, but they really only neglect the opposing bigs on the perimeter. The Bucks defend guards on the perimeter, they just refuse to close out on Centers and Power forwards. If Green plays for the Nets, that will be a problem with him and Durant. Not so much against the 76ers, because Embiid and Tobias aren't comfortable shooting 3's at the high volume that the Bucks will allow.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
Wilfried
Analyst
Posts: 3,417
And1: 1,275
Joined: May 24, 2007

Re: Joel Embiid 

Post#1115 » by Wilfried » Sat Jun 5, 2021 6:53 am

I think they rest him for game 1, if we win that maybe for game 2, but not more if we really are serious about competing.

I also feel the Hawks are pretty overrated (but can be wrong) because they won against an overrated NY team (with only 2 scorers on the team). I think we can win this without Embiid too
VDT
Analyst
Posts: 3,247
And1: 1,973
Joined: Oct 13, 2018

Re: Joel Embiid 

Post#1116 » by VDT » Sat Jun 5, 2021 7:12 am

If he is hurt, he is hurt. He is still 27. Playing him injured and risking worsening his injury is not smart. Particularly since he will be more limited in what he can do. We are not going past the ECF with a hobbled Embiid, getting eliminated a round earlier doesnt make much difference. If he is good to go then great, but trying to play him with a teared miniscus doesnt make much sense to me unless he is feeling fine and we dont risk making the tear more severe.
Kobblehead
RealGM
Posts: 33,711
And1: 14,309
Joined: Apr 15, 2010
 

Re: Joel Embiid 

Post#1117 » by Kobblehead » Sat Jun 5, 2021 12:08 pm

If we go down 0-2 or 1-2, you play Embiid no matter what.

The only thing that matters is playoff games. If we're holding him out to preserve him for the future, that's a fake-smart move. What if he suffers hairline fracture in his shooting wrist this time next year? Do we then shut him down in the postseason to preserve him for the next year? Can't keep doing that. Play him.
kuclas
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,028
And1: 2,269
Joined: Nov 08, 2016
     

Re: Joel Embiid 

Post#1118 » by kuclas » Sat Jun 5, 2021 1:48 pm

Kobblehead wrote:If we go down 0-2 or 1-2, you play Embiid no matter what.

The only thing that matters is playoff games. If we're holding him out to preserve him for the future, that's a fake-smart move. What if he suffers hairline fracture in his shooting wrist this time next year? Do we then shut him down in the postseason to preserve him for the next year? Can't keep doing that. Play him.

Why not just play him in game 1 to began with? Better to protect the home games at all cost.

The thinking of trying to preserve him for an extra week of healing doesn’t make much sense. If the knee is really swollen. He shouldn’t play the series at all. We don’t have a second alpha scorer like golden state had to let KD rest an entire series.

So if injury could get worse. Don’t play him. If injury is manageable as they say. Play him game 1.
the_process
RealGM
Posts: 20,250
And1: 5,082
Joined: May 01, 2010

Re: Joel Embiid 

Post#1119 » by the_process » Sat Jun 5, 2021 4:18 pm

Bum Adebayo wrote:
kuclas wrote:
Bum Adebayo wrote:
If the reward is much lower than the risk then yes, but for most players/teams that is not the case, Embiid is clearly at a much higher risk here because of this lingering injury.


Bucks barely won both games on their home court with healthy roster playing playoff intensity basketball. Now they missing donte. They are very thin at guard.

People treat bucks trashing the heat and having them the best team. The heat are who they are. Just like last season. Between a 4-6 seed. Heat were a 4-6 seed last season. Nothing has changed. In fact. Heat got a little worst losing crowder and herro partying too much.

Bucks pack the paint and the heat went cold from outside.

The nets were obviously missing harden. Are
The bucks gonna to let harden shoot wide open 3 all day? Cause they don’t defend the 3 well due to them packing the paint focus. But this is the problem for the bucks. Harden can blow by most defenders on the perimeter and take it to the rim. Who’s gonna to defend harden on the perimeter now?


Nobody can beat this Nets, people are in for a rude awakening if they think they can be beaten, especially when I don't consider the rest of teams anything special compared to most past champions.


I expect the Bucks to outlast the Nets in 7. We'll see how it goes.
agiaco
Analyst
Posts: 3,490
And1: 947
Joined: Jun 26, 2009
     

Re: Joel Embiid 

Post#1120 » by agiaco » Sat Jun 5, 2021 4:20 pm

I don't envy the front office for having to make this decision. Obviously their knowledge of the situation exceeds what fans have been told, but even if they decide to play him it's going to be interesting to see when he actually hits the court.

Also on a side note - the Nets are so beatable. Will it be a hard series vs. Milwaukee and/or Philly? Yes, but either team is capable of winning. I like the Bucks' chances vs. Brooklyn. Their big 3 is better 2-way. Obviously the offensive firepower of the Nets is insane, but just having Giannis and Jrue guarding 2 of the 3 superstars should help a lot.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers