Joel Embiid

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

kuclas
General Manager
And1: 3,898

Re: Joel Embiid 

Post#41 » by kuclas » Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:49 pm

76ciology wrote:
syntax wrote:I'd be a tad bit annoyed if I was 7'1" and used as a floor spacer so my PG who can't shoot worth a lick can go to work.

Well, that’s the card we’re dealt with.

Could have made it easier if we just drafted Giannis and guards then just moneyball our way on this NBA that is slowly eliminating the C position.

Milwaukee has no plan B if Giannis gets stopped. I don’t think People remember how great 2007-2010 Lebron was to lead Cleveland to nba finals (got swept 2007, than got bounced in 2009 in conference finals and 2010 semi despite 60 plus wins best nba regular season record two years in a row)

Ray Allen/Chris Bosh offensive rebound saved the heat in 2013 game 6. Kyrie obviously took the 3 point shot to take the lead less than 60 seconds left in game 7 in 2016.

Milwaukee style works great in regular season. This is year if bucks need to prove that style can win it all. I still have my doubts they can.
GoSixersBro
Head Coach
And1: 2,476

Post#42 » by GoSixersBro » Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:55 pm

kuclas wrote:
76ciology wrote:
syntax wrote:I'd be a tad bit annoyed if I was 7'1" and used as a floor spacer so my PG who can't shoot worth a lick can go to work.

Could have made it easier if we just drafted Giannis and guards then just moneyball our way on this NBA that is slowly eliminating the C position.

Milwaukee has no plan B if Giannis gets stopped. I don’t think People remember how great 2007-2010 Lebron was to lead Cleveland to nba finals (got swept 2007, than got bounced in 2009 in conference finals and 2010 semi despite 60 plus wins best nba regular season record two years in a row)

Ray Allen/Chris Bosh offensive rebound saved the heat in 2013 game 6. Kyrie obviously took the 3 point shot to take the lead less than 60 seconds left in game 7 in 2016.

Milwaukee style works great in regular season. This is year if bucks need to prove that style can win it all. I still have my doubts they can.

You're right the Bucks still have to prove it in the postseason, but their team is pretty damn good (better than last year's squad IMO) and even if Giannis is shut down offensively I think they're capable of climbing to the Finals, but we shall see.

Unrelated, but I hate when people bring Ray Allen's 3 up as a knock on LeBron. Not saying you personally are doing this, but people who say Ray Allen saved LeBron's title that series are memester trolls who didn't watch the games.

Heat were down 10 after the third quarter of Game 6. LeBron scored 14 points in the final quarter to even get his team into position for that miracle three to happen. Yes star players can be shut down, but championship teams have received timely contributions from other players to help boost them to victory. Kobe shot 25% from the field in Game 7 in 2010, but thankfully for them MWP and Gasol helped get them over the hump.
Here Lies The Process
May 13, 2013 - April 6, 2016
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,463

Post#43 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:26 am

GoSixersBro wrote:
kuclas wrote:
76ciology wrote:

You're right the Bucks still have to prove it in the postseason, but their team is pretty damn good (better than last year's squad IMO) and even if Giannis is shut down offensively I think they're capable of climbing to the Finals, but we shall see.

Unrelated, but I hate when people bring Ray Allen's 3 up as a knock on LeBron. Not saying you personally are doing this, but people who say Ray Allen saved LeBron's title that series are memester trolls who didn't watch the games.

Heat were down 10 after the third quarter of Game 6. LeBron scored 14 points in the final quarter to even get his team into position for that miracle three to happen. Yes star players can be shut down, but championship teams have received timely contributions from other players to help boost them to victory. Kobe shot 25% from the field in Game 7 in 2010, but thankfully for them MWP and Gasol helped get them over the hump.

So very true! John Paxson, Mario Elie, Steve Kerr...How many times did Derek Fisher save Kobe and Shaq? Most recently Fred Van Vleet was added to that list. Every winning team has a player like that on their roster.
Embiid P
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,070

Post#44 » by Embiid P » Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:43 am

ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:
GoSixersBro wrote:
kuclas wrote:

So very true! John Paxson, Mario Elie, Steve Kerr...How many times did Derek Fisher save Kobe and Shaq? Most recently Fred Van Vleet was added to that list. Every winning team has a player like that on their roster.

And Robert Horry too as us Sixers fans know all too well.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,046

Post#45 » by Sixerscan » Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:05 am

Embiid P wrote:
ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:
GoSixersBro wrote:

Yah Lakers not named Kobe (or Shaq) shot a combined 50% from 3 in that series. Of course part of that was practically every Sixers playing with some sort of broken bone by the end but it was still killer.
syntax
Sixth Man
And1: 651

Post#46 » by syntax » Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:11 am

kuclas wrote:
76ciology wrote:

Bucks were up 2-0 in the ECF against the eventual champs. It's not like they are far off.
Zumramania
Senior
And1: 409

Post#47 » by Zumramania » Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:54 am

And we were a few bounces away from actually beating them...These Bucks are in my mind in a way similar to that former lineup of ours that was like +20 in the regular season (Embiid, Dario, Roco, JJ, Simmons). If that lineup had the bench we have today, maybe they would have had a record not far away from the one the Bucks have now. However, playoffs is a different thing. Coach Bud was also the coach of that 60-22 Atlanta Hawks, who also performed worse in the playoffs and didn't get further than the Conference finals. So I guess we have solid chances against the Bucks, if we get to them.
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,567
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#48 » by LloydFree » Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:10 pm

Embiid P wrote:
ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:
GoSixersBro wrote:

Outside of Giannis and Middleton, the Bucks don't have a player close to the level of Robert Horry.

People are too deferential to the Bucks and not respectful enough to the Raptors. The Raptors are more talented, and are better coached than the Bucks. The Bucks are not a super talented team, and they have one way to win. 'Giannis drive-and-kick to 6 different, 33 year old, 20 minute per game, standstill, 3 point shooters.

Unless dudes like George Hill continues shooting 55% from 3, I don't believe the Bucks are anywhere near a guarantee to run over the 76ers or Raptors. We've seen this before, with teams that play this way.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
GoSixersBro
Head Coach
And1: 2,476

Post#49 » by GoSixersBro » Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:26 pm

LloydFree wrote:
Embiid P wrote:
ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:

Outside of Giannis and Middleton, the Bucks don't have a player close to the level of Robert Horry.

People are too deferential to the Bucks and not respectful enough to the Raptors. The Raptors are more talented, and are better coached than the Bucks. The Bucks are not a super talented team, and they have one way to win. 'Giannis drive-and-kick to 6 different, 33 year old, 20 minute per game, standstill, 3 point shooters.

Unless dudes like George Hill continues shooting 55% from 3, I don't believe the Bucks are anywhere near a guarantee to run over the 76ers or Raptors. We've seen this before, with teams that play this way.

I respect this take. I have a ton of respect for the Raptors too. I do not think Siakam is going to be a top 10 player in this league and think people are going a little crazy about him, but that group of players as a unit are a very good to great team led by an awesome coach. Even without Kawhi, I'd like to avoid them in the Playoffs if possible.
Here Lies The Process
May 13, 2013 - April 6, 2016
phillynative
General Manager
And1: 2,714

Post#50 » by phillynative » Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:46 pm

I thought Embiid was going to pass out at the end of the ASG but he held on , nobody could defend him one on one in the post. I hope this stretch he regains his mojo and get back in the swing of things on both ends.
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,692

Post#51 » by rzzzzz » Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:36 pm

phillynative wrote: I hope this stretch he regains his mojo and get back in the swing of things on both ends.

i think that's what we saw yesterday. he says he's healthy and ready to take over down the stretch. :nod:
VDT
Analyst
And1: 2,106

Post#52 » by VDT » Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:24 am

GoSixersBro wrote:
LloydFree wrote:
Embiid P wrote:

I respect this take. I have a ton of respect for the Raptors too. I do not think Siakam is going to be a top 10 player in this league and think people are going a little crazy about him, but that group of players as a unit are a very good to great team led by an awesome coach. Even without Kawhi, I'd like to avoid them in the Playoffs if possible.

The Raptors could, potentially, be a though series because the matchup pretty good defensively, especially if Gasol continues being a good Embiid defender. However i have a hard time seeing them being the winners because i am not confident at all in their playoffs offense and their overall talent. I dont think Lowry, Vanvleet and Siakam can beat us four times.
phillynative
General Manager

Post#53 » by phillynative » Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:50 am

We play the raps one more time in march should be interesting to see where both teams are at
just before the playoffs
kuclas
General Manager
And1: 3,898

Post#54 » by kuclas » Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:11 am

phillynative wrote:I thought Embiid was going to pass out at the end of the ASG but he held on , nobody could defend him one on one in the post. I hope this stretch he regains his mojo and get back in the swing of things on both ends.

No one can defend Embiid in the post 1:1 even Gasol. It’s the double team Embiid can’t figure out or doesn’t trust his teammate. Or his tunnel vision.

He has to make the quicker pass if the bully ball isn’t there. Guys will be open. But his teams gotta help also. I think everyone so focus on 3 point shots. The slashed to the rim when Embiid gets doubled creates so much pressure on the rotating defense. It’s actually a more effective play than trying to pass out to 3 point land.

But Sixers don’t have enough ball handlers to take guys off the dribble.
phillynative
General Manager

Post#55 » by phillynative » Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:34 am

kuclas wrote:
phillynative wrote:I thought Embiid was going to pass out at the end of the ASG but he held on , nobody could defend him one on one in the post. I hope this stretch he regains his mojo and get back in the swing of things on both ends.

No one can defend Embiid in the post 1:1 even Gasol. It’s the double team Embiid can’t figure out or doesn’t trust his teammate. Or his tunnel vision.

He has to make the quicker pass if the bully ball isn’t there. Guys will be open. But his teams gotta help also. I think everyone so focus on 3 point shots. The slashed to the rim when Embiid gets doubled creates so much pressure on the rotating defense. It’s actually a more effective play than trying to pass out to 3 point land.

But Sixers don’t have enough ball handlers to take guys off the dribble.

I agree I think they will figure it out now that Horford is coming off the bench. He has to continue to get better at passing out and his teammates have to do better at getting open.
Foshan
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 1,938

Post#56 » by Foshan » Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:49 am

I wish after Embiid passes it out of a double team, and the defense is dealing to recover, we would go right back
To Embiid (if there isn’t an immediate open shot), reward the guy for kicking it out
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,422

Post#57 » by 76ciology » Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:33 am

Sudden change in Embiid’s demeanor after the “Villain” instagram post he made. We need our board’s resident psychiatrist to explain to us why this happened
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,692

Post#58 » by rzzzzz » Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:01 am

76ciology wrote:Sudden change in Embiid’s demeanor after the “Villain” instagram post he made. We need our board’s resident psychiatrist to explain to us why this happened

think there's another variable involved here. Biid recently started playing more as a classic down low big the past couple of games, with Ben rewarding him with some nice passes. and there was no question about who was controlling the paint among the leagues best in the 4th qtr on Sunday. maybe he's just decided he's going back to basics and it suits.
jbent87
Veteran
And1: 1,202

Post#59 » by jbent87 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:18 pm

Also Ben has raised his game recently too. Maybe thats just infectious. Having both of these guys locked in, in combination with more spacing in the starting lineup with Horford coming off the bench and running Point Center stuff there with that unit, who knows, maybe it's time to officially go on a run and at least get the 4 seed back.
elchengue20
Sixth Man
And1: 1,484

Post#60 » by elchengue20 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:45 am

Bucks doesn't scare me, they look like a regular season team.

What's scares me is our dysfuntional team.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers