ImageImageImage

Joel Embiid

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

Bum Adebayo
General Manager
And1: 4,009

Re: Joel Embiid 

Post#841 » by Bum Adebayo » Tue May 11, 2021 4:16 pm

This kid is really good, but he is not as young as one would think based on the time he has been playing games with us, he is 27, and he doesn't look like a guy that will be still a beast in his low 30's. Our window is like 2-3 years max with him, maybe 4 if he takes conditioning to the next level (doubtful). Remember that he is from Africa too, lying about the real age is much easier, just something to remember.
Now that we dumped Brett a year ago, we have a clear picture, we have seen that Simmons is not the chosen one, he is just not going to move the needle in a significant way. We need to trade him as soon as this offseason, because the pairing doesn't maximize Embiid, and will never do.
Great takes since 2024-04-20
kuclas
General Manager
And1: 3,905

Post#842 » by kuclas » Tue May 11, 2021 5:58 pm

Bum Adebayo wrote:This kid is really good, but he is not as young as one would think based on the time he has been playing games with us, he is 27, and he doesn't look like a guy that will be still a beast in his low 30's. Our window is like 2-3 years max with him, maybe 4 if he takes conditioning to the next level (doubtful). Remember that he is from Africa too, lying about the real age is much easier, just something to remember.
Now that we dumped Brett a year ago, we have a clear picture, we have seen that Simmons is not the chosen one, he is just not going to move the needle in a significant way. We need to trade him as soon as this offseason, because the pairing doesn't maximize Embiid, and will never do.

We have a 2-3 year window with Embiid. Those scary videos seeing Embiid knees buckle even after the bone bruise. It's only a matter of time before it becomes a major injury. He's just too big (body/torso ratio). He's gonna to break down.

I do think his conditioning is much better this season. But bigs like him really can't go all out all the time. Even if he coasts for a portion of the game. Max we can see him play effective level is around 35 minutes a game. Just the way most big men are built these days.

Simmons is very important on defense but when the playoff rolls around, half court offense execution is gonna to matter. Embiid is gonna to get doubled/fake doubled/hedging defenders and it's usually Simmons man. Now Embiid continues to have tunnel vision and misses a lot of open shooters. Makes dangerous cross court passes (remember the Boston game 3 bad pass that lead to break a way foul near end of the game). It's gonna to happen again.

We can only take one season at a time. We have a decent shot with home court through the east to make it to the finals. Nets will be the prohibitive favorite if Harden'/KD healthy.
eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 11,196

Post#843 » by eyeatoma » Tue May 11, 2021 9:35 pm

Bum Adebayo wrote:This kid is really good, but he is not as young as one would think based on the time he has been playing games with us, he is 27, and he doesn't look like a guy that will be still a beast in his low 30's. Our window is like 2-3 years max with him, maybe 4 if he takes conditioning to the next level (doubtful). Remember that he is from Africa too, lying about the real age is much easier, just something to remember.

This is such a bad take. Agreed that he is still a little fragile, and only time will tell how long his career goes. The reason he is 27 and only played 4-5 years is because of the initial 2 year wait. Also, can we please not stereotype and assume everyone from Africa forged their birth certificate. If you look at Embiid's HS and college videos he does look like a teenager. Also he's from an affluent and educated family which also probably reduces the chances of him having a fake birth certificate. Just all kinds of cringe with this post.
eyeatoma
RealGM

Post#844 » by eyeatoma » Tue May 11, 2021 9:36 pm

kuclas wrote:

We have a 2-3 year window with Embiid. Those scary videos seeing Embiid knees buckle even after the bone bruise. It's only a matter of time before it becomes a major injury. He's just too big (body/torso ratio). He's gonna to break down.

I do think his conditioning is much better this season. But bigs like him really can't go all out all the time. Even if he coasts for a portion of the game. Max we can see him play effective level is around 35 minutes a game. Just the way most big men are built these days.

Simmons is very important on defense but when the playoff rolls around, half court offense execution is gonna to matter. Embiid is gonna to get doubled/fake doubled/hedging defenders and it's usually Simmons man. Now Embiid continues to have tunnel vision and misses a lot of open shooters. Makes dangerous cross court passes (remember the Boston game 3 bad pass that lead to break a way foul near end of the game). It's gonna to happen again.

We can only take one season at a time. We have a decent shot with home court through the east to make it to the finals. Nets will be the prohibitive favorite if Harden'/KD healthy.

You have always been pessimistic about Embiid, and an alarmist. You may be right about him having only a few years left, but it feels like every time you post it's something negative about the sixers or Embiid. Just appreciate how he is playing now, and stop over analyzing every thing about him and the team waiting for the next shoe to drop.
eyeatoma
RealGM

Post#845 » by eyeatoma » Thu May 13, 2021 7:27 am

Jo, is listed as questionable for the Heat game, but there is a rumor that he is not with the team in Miami. I know he can fly in, but anyone concerned about this "illness". Not saying it's Covid, but we all remember the last time he was sick during the playoffs. Hope he's okay.

Read on Twitter
sixers4real
Veteran
And1: 1,895

Post#846 » by sixers4real » Thu May 13, 2021 8:12 am

I’d rest him till the end of the season. We have to beat the Magic once without him.
Sixers fan since 2001. From Russia.
eyeatoma
RealGM

Post#847 » by eyeatoma » Thu May 13, 2021 9:38 am

sixers4real wrote:I’d rest him till the end of the season. We have to beat the Magic once without him.

Conditioning would be a problem then. He'd miss almost 2 weeks before the first playoff game.
cool93
Analyst
And1: 1,992

Post#848 » by cool93 » Thu May 13, 2021 9:46 am

Yeah, I don't think it's just rest. They should realise that this game is actually pretty important, cause if we lose, we'll likely see Heat in 2 round instead of Hawks/Knicks.

Sent from my G3416 using RealGM mobile app
kuclas
General Manager
And1: 3,905

Post#849 » by kuclas » Thu May 13, 2021 10:26 am

cool93 wrote:Yeah, I don't think it's just rest. They should realise that this game is actually pretty important, cause if we lose, we'll likely see Heat in 2 round instead of Hawks/Knicks.

Sent from my G3416 using RealGM mobile app

Heat really don’t scare me. If need be. Ben will be guarding Jimmy butler. Butler really struggling this year from 3 point line. His main advantage is his mid range post where he can pass out or shoot over. But Jimmy has had problems with guys who are just as strong and taller than him.

I don’t think the heat will play all out either tonight. They want to save strategy for playoffs if they meet. Meaning less zone.

The zone is the only way for bam to defend Embiid. Embiid just too strong and much taller. Bam shooting has improved a lot this season. Still not a huge threat outside but enough of a threat Embiid can’t sag too deep. But Embiid has got to solve the zone. Trust his teammates make the right (not risky passes). The shots will be there for Harris curry kork green all day with the zone.

I really don’t think the heat care if they play bucks or Hawks
Honestly. We shouldn’t care who we play either.

Unless heat can get home court. Which looks unlikely with Hawks winning last night.
phillynative
General Manager
And1: 2,739

Post#850 » by phillynative » Thu May 13, 2021 1:59 pm

eyeatoma wrote:

This is such a bad take. Agreed that he is still a little fragile, and only time will tell how long his career goes. The reason he is 27 and only played 4-5 years is because of the initial 2 year wait. Also, can we please not stereotype and assume everyone from Africa forged their birth certificate. If you look at Embiid's HS and college videos he does look like a teenager. Also he's from an affluent and educated family which also probably reduces the chances of him having a fake birth certificate. Just all kinds of cringe with this post.

I had the wtf face after reading that hot pile of dung.
eyeatoma
RealGM

Post#851 » by eyeatoma » Thu May 13, 2021 2:46 pm

Wonderfully written article about Jo...

https://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/page/CoverStory-May2021/joel-embiid-means-business?linkId=118634465

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,535

Post#852 » by 76ciology » Fri May 14, 2021 2:28 pm

Reminds me of Biid
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
elchengue20
Sixth Man
And1: 1,494

Post#853 » by elchengue20 » Mon May 17, 2021 3:29 am

Yeah that's old school basketball right there that shoudn't be dying because of analytics and 3's.

A 50% midrange jumper that can be "created" in basically in any situation its deadly weapon, secially in the Playoffs, when you have to play a lot of halfcourt offense against tough defense.
M2J
Starter
And1: 1,179

Post#854 » by M2J » Mon May 17, 2021 4:25 pm

76ciology wrote:

Reminds me of Biid

Like I said earlier in the thread about the best comparison for Joel. It's a BIGGER KG. His offensive game, nearly mirrors KG with the more face up focus this year.
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,804

Post#855 » by Negrodamus » Mon May 17, 2021 5:10 pm

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/262613/LeBron-James-Endorses-Stephen-Curry-For-MVP

Hate to do this to you, Mr. LeBron James, but you sir, are cancelled.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,535

Post#856 » by 76ciology » Tue May 18, 2021 5:25 pm

Read on Twitter

This real?
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,804

Post#857 » by Negrodamus » Tue May 18, 2021 5:40 pm

76ciology wrote:
Read on Twitter

This real?

LOL at Jokic being unanimous MVP.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,863

Post#858 » by Stanford » Tue May 18, 2021 5:50 pm

I have no issue with Jokic as unanimous MVP. Jo has been bad/not trying since his injury return, and no one else has a real case.
eyeatoma
RealGM

Post#859 » by eyeatoma » Tue May 18, 2021 7:17 pm

I'm confused is Jo not even making the second team all NBA???

Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,863

Post#860 » by Stanford » Tue May 18, 2021 7:28 pm

eyeatoma wrote:I'm confused is Jo not even making the second team all NBA???

Where are you getting that? That spreadsheet says he's nearly first team as a forward

Return to Philadelphia 76ers