ImageImageImage

Game 56: Nets @ Sixers - 8pm

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

phillynative
General Manager
And1: 2,739

Re: Game 56: Nets @ Sixers - 8pm 

Post#261 » by phillynative » Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:10 pm

VDT wrote:We won despite shooting a horrific 18% from 3 (it helped that the shot a just bad 30%) which is good, but against better teams we dont stand much of a chance with that shooting.
I mentioned in during the game, but other than Embiid and SImmons everyone else's most important role offensively is to catch and shoot 3s. Trying to create a bit or drive to the basket is of course helpful but their role should be primarily as finishers and not creating with the ball.

Harris in particular needs to accept his role, at the moment his shot selection is that of a first option, of the dribble 3s, a lot of mid range and generally needing the ball in his hands in order to score. However he is not good enough to do that on a contender and he should be told to shoot a lot more catch and shoot 3s and play off ball and limit the possessions where he creates and he is on ball.

I don't get this. So you want Tobias to be something he's not . He isn't just going to stand at the 3pt line and launch 3's all game(ala robcov) his value is a versatile scorer that can play with both Ben and Biid. He was 0-4 from 3 , so he was shooting them just wasn't hitting.
We definitely need him to be more efficient from 3 but he was also 10-20 from the field and provided incremental buckets throughout the game. For stretches of the game only him and Embiid could score until Burks got it going . My issue with Tobi is he doesn't get to the line enough and misses a lot of wide open 3's( where he should making teams pay for leaving him ususually to crowd Ben and Embiid)..
VDT
Analyst
And1: 2,106

Post#262 » by VDT » Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:39 pm

phillynative wrote:
VDT wrote:We won despite shooting a horrific 18% from 3 (it helped that the shot a just bad 30%) which is good, but against better teams we dont stand much of a chance with that shooting.
I mentioned in during the game, but other than Embiid and SImmons everyone else's most important role offensively is to catch and shoot 3s. Trying to create a bit or drive to the basket is of course helpful but their role should be primarily as finishers and not creating with the ball.

Harris in particular needs to accept his role, at the moment his shot selection is that of a first option, of the dribble 3s, a lot of mid range and generally needing the ball in his hands in order to score. However he is not good enough to do that on a contender and he should be told to shoot a lot more catch and shoot 3s and play off ball and limit the possessions where he creates and he is on ball.

I don't get this. So you want Tobias to be something he's not . He isn't just going to stand at the 3pt line and launch 3's all game(ala robcov) his value is a versatile scorer that can play with both Ben and Biid. He was 0-4 from 3 , so he was shooting them just wasn't hitting.
We definitely need him to be more efficient from 3 but he was also 10-20 from the field and provided incremental buckets throughout the game. For stretches of the game only him and Embiid could score until Burks got it going . My issue with Tobi is he doesn't get to the line enough and misses a lot of wide open 3's( where he should making teams pay for leaving him ususually to crowd Ben and Embiid)..

Yea he should change his mindset and get better at the shots he is supposed to take.

He is playing like a #1 option (3s off the dribble, mid range shots, post ups etc) when he is not that here and he is nowhere near good enough to do that on a good team. It's ok to do that from time to time but his bread and butter on this team should be finishing (mainly 3s) not creating. As you mentioned he doesnt draw fouls and he can't be efficient without shooting and hitting a high volume of 3s. If he wanted to be the first option he should have signed with the Bulls or a similar team. Based on his abilities and the roster construction he should play more like a roleplayer offensively (more finishing than creating), especially if Simmons recent level of play and aggressiveness are here to stay. Having him post up or shoot contested mid range shots with Embiid and Simmons on the floor is ridiculous.
MambaJuice
Junior
And1: 194

Post#263 » by MambaJuice » Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:40 pm

Good win last night. The most important takeaway is Embiid is playing with confidence and looking like the Joel we know and love. Protecting the basket, getting to the line, pump and drives, Eurosteps. All Star game seems to have rejuvenated him.

If this is the Embiid we get going forward, coupled with the more aggressive Ben, I'm very bullish on our outlook.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,892

Post#264 » by mjkvol » Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:45 pm

ankle420breaker wrote:Neto played 28 minutes. Even with Ben out he shouldn't have logged more than 12. Not sure what Brett was thinking there as Burke and Shake were clearly better options on both ends.

Sent from my SM-G970U using RealGM mobile app

Neto shouldn't even see the court in garbage time. The fact that Brett had him in as much as he did is the kind of thing that leads me not to trust him as we move into bigger games. He has this strange fascination with G-League types like Neto and TJ that borders on the bizarre.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,892

Post#265 » by mjkvol » Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:51 pm

M2J wrote:Tobi is essentially the third option. His production this year has been great and his scoring efficiently. Even his defense has been better than expected. The only thing that needs to change is he needs to shoot more threes and hopefully make more.

Tonight clearly wasn't the best Al Horford game. But I still don't mind the move of him being here. I do think that there are going to be some growing pains with the changing lineups. But he will be great off the bench and clearly a starter worthy center if Joel needs time off. My disappointment in him for this game was that he didn't try to score enough in the paint. Even when he took Joel's place he played like a 3-point shooter. He took two threes one long-range two and everything else was positive in the paint. Without both Joel or Ben, not what I would expect.

Again, Brand had to re-sign Tobias. He could have gotten that money somewhere else too, he was a borderline All-Star last year in LA and Philly,and a borderline one in the East this year had the team's record been better.

With Al, they were lucky enough to have the cap available with Ben on a rookie deal, stars have been turning that money down to play with Ben and Jo for a couple of years (Jimmy did too, at least a 4 year deal), and you get a great insurance policy for Embiid and versatile backup in Al. I just don't see how that move affects the teams cap fluidity during this hopeful title run. Yes they will be over the cap, but that's the choice ownership made. You can be under the cap with no options too. if this team doesn't win is not because Al Horford is on the team. It's because the Stars Ben Simmons and Joel embiid and didn't do their damn jobs. You want cap space? It's easy move one of them with Al, or a youngster. I do think it would be helpful if Brown found out how to use all of these pieces.

It's funny how fans talk about cap like you're running a business. In situations when it doesn't make sense. You're either going for it or not.

The bolded part says it all.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
TTP
Head Coach
And1: 4,398

Post#266 » by TTP » Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:22 pm

76ciology wrote:Cap space ain’t worth a lot unless you are LA, NY, MIA or these top destinations. Let’s not forget that Bjelica turned us down with some visa problem.

Bjelica turned us down because he agreed to sign with us for 1 year, 4.4 million and then shortly after realized he could get a 3 year, 20.5 million dollar offer from the Kings. Trying to make it seem like it was anything other than a financial decision is nonsense. Your implication that it was because we're not a desirable destination makes even less sense considering he spurned us for the Kings.
jonjames is a signature bet welcher.

Appostis wrote:You're friend ..is a idiot.
agiaco
Analyst
And1: 1,126

Post#267 » by agiaco » Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:53 pm

kio80 wrote:
Kobblehead wrote:Tobias missed a few layups, but he's balling tonight and contributing in a lot of areas. Horford is the megadeal that is useless tonight.

Tobias is balling? You high? Trade him for Shamet in a heart beat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The **** is your head at? He was balling.Granted you're the same one who consistently calls him out during excellent performances.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers