ImageImageImage

Game 57: Sixers @ Bucks - 8:30pm

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

ProcessDoctor
RealGM
And1: 5,183

Re: Game 57: Sixers @ Bucks - 8:30pm 

Post#201 » by ProcessDoctor » Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:25 am

We knew this was coming guys. On the road versus the best regular season team. It should’ve been especially obvious this wouldn’t be close once Ben went out.

Regarding the Bucks in general, I don’t think Giannis will be denied a finals appearance this year. I know Bud has a rep for flopping in the playoffs, but so did Andy Reid. Some coaches find a way to get over the hump, and this might be Bud’s year. Whether they beat either LA team is another story.
2023-2024 Philadelphia 76ers:

Lowry/Melton/Payne
Maxey/Hield/Downtin
Batum/Oubre/Council
Harris/Covington/Martin
Embiid/Reed/Bamba
DaBolden76
Sophomore
And1: 64

Post#202 » by DaBolden76 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:26 am

Perfect time to sign someone up on a 10 day contract and see how they go in offence. I know the former Dallas guy has been mentioned on this platform. It would be perfect time trial to workout what works cause 76ers need to something as they have a lot of ave streaky shooters.
VDT
Analyst
And1: 2,106

Post#203 » by VDT » Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:54 am

Not a good game obviously, hopefully the team can move past that.

However we might be approaching the limit of what a team can do without having a plan with roster construction and without having a plan/identity on the court.

Also i think i had enough of the Tobias Harris experience.
ankle420breaker
General Manager
And1: 1,957

Post#204 » by ankle420breaker » Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:53 pm

Can anyone explain why Horford is still being relegated to a perimeter catch and shoot guy even when Embiid is on the bench? This guy is a walking bucket down low with elite passing ability out of the post. What are we doing??

Sent from my SM-G970U using RealGM mobile app
VDT
Analyst

Post#205 » by VDT » Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:10 pm

ankle420breaker wrote:Can anyone explain why Horford is still being relegated to a perimeter catch and shoot guy even when Embiid is on the bench? This guy is a walking bucket down low with elite passing ability out of the post. What are we doing??

Who told you that?
ankle420breaker
General Manager

Post#206 » by ankle420breaker » Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:42 pm

VDT wrote:
ankle420breaker wrote:Can anyone explain why Horford is still being relegated to a perimeter catch and shoot guy even when Embiid is on the bench? This guy is a walking bucket down low with elite passing ability out of the post. What are we doing??

Who told you that?
His 13 year body of work. Al is definitely a capable back to the basket scorer.

We NEVER utilize him properly in halfcourt sets. He needs to be engaged and should be getting more touches in the post.

VDT
Analyst

Post#207 » by VDT » Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:56 pm

ankle420breaker wrote:
VDT wrote:

Who told you that?

We NEVER utilize him properly in halfcourt sets. He needs to be engaged and should be getting more touches in the post.

I mean, Horford is a career 14ppg player which is hard to interpret as a walking bucket in any way. Horford has some moves but he is not someone that should get a lot of touches unless he has a mismatch. The Celtics didnt use him like that either. If anything we have posted him more than his skillset or the team construction would justify.

Horford's value is that he is a good and smart defender, although aging, and offensively that he can be a good passer and space the floor a bit. He has value in the right situation, like Boston's, but he is not a bucket getter or a volume scorer. Elite roleplayer is a good description for what he is.
phillynative
General Manager
And1: 2,714

Post#208 » by phillynative » Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:04 pm

VDT wrote:
ankle420breaker wrote:
VDT wrote:
Who told you that?

I mean, Horford is a career 14ppg player which is hard to interpret as a walking bucket in any way. Horford has some moves but he is not someone that should get a lot of touches unless he has a mismatch. The Celtics didnt use him like that either. If anything we have posted him more than his skillset or the team construction would justify.

Horford's value is that he is a good and smart defender, although aging, and offensively that he can be a good passer and space the floor a bit. He has value in the right situation, like Boston's, but he is not a bucket getter or a volume scorer. Elite roleplayer is a good description for what he is.

I don't understand why we didn't run more P&P in the midrange area with him and Burks. Currently he is not a good enough 3 pt shooter to just come in chucking 3's. Let him get some open shots inside the line and work his way out. He us not a stretch by anymeans at this point.
ankle420breaker
General Manager

Post#209 » by ankle420breaker » Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:11 pm

VDT wrote:
ankle420breaker wrote:
VDT wrote:
Who told you that?

Strongly disagree that we're posting him more than his skillset allows.

Not inferring we should be perpetually feeding him down low, but we should be making an effort to involve & engage him more offensively while taking advantage of his size against 2nd units when Embiid is off the floor.

the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,705

Post#210 » by the_process » Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:21 pm

ankle420breaker wrote:
VDT wrote:
ankle420breaker wrote:His 13 year body of work. Al is definitely a capable back to the basket scorer.

Strongly disagree that we're posting him more than his skillset allows.

Not inferring we should be perpetually feeding him down low, but we should be making an effort to involve & engage him more offensively while taking advantage of his size against 2nd units when Embiid is off the floor.

Horford is not, and never has been, a scorer.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,705

Post#211 » by the_process » Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:22 pm

VDT wrote:Not a good game obviously, hopefully the team can move past that.

However we might be approaching the limit of what a team can do without having a plan with roster construction and without having a plan/identity on the court.

Also i think i had enough of the Tobias Harris experience.
Lou_23
Bench Warmer
And1: 724

Post#212 » by Lou_23 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:31 pm

Not problem guys, we have the greek stopper
Mik317
RealGM
And1: 17,733

Post#213 » by Mik317 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:53 pm

Horford is best used as a top of the key offense hub passer...however that requires good shooters and off ball movement.

so yet again another piece that requires **** we don't have.
#NeverGonnaBeGood
djsunyc
RealGM
And1: 67,161

Post#214 » by djsunyc » Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:40 pm

Mik317 wrote:team needs to figure out another method of offense than just hoping our mediocre shooters hit shots. We rely too much on them...just as we often relied too much on JJ hitting bail out shots. THIS is where Brett needs to get some heat for. The whole pecking order of the offense is off...we run the offense with the idea of getting our role players looks....not our better players. This goes beyond just Embiid (who by the way played like hot ass especially after his comments...he has to know that will be a talking point for idiots...don't give them ammo/ he also just missed shots lol) but also guys like Al or Tobias. The idea is to get your best players easy looks....that does not happen too often

Losing Ben hurt a lot tho.

i'm still not sure how you have a smooth functioning offense against top defenses when you have a pg that's simply unwilling to shoot the ball.
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,746

Post#215 » by Negrodamus » Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:07 pm

Mercifully, I missed this game. Without having looked at the replay, I'm still standing behind how I feel this team should function: Burks, Shake, and Furkan getting the bulk of the wing looks. All three have varying abilities to create with the ball in their hands and solid vision. One or two can have a bad shooting night, but I doubt all three would.

Obviously the ship has sailed, but we should have moved on from JRich at the trade deadline to fill a need.
ivysixer2000
General Manager
And1: 2,016

Post#216 » by ivysixer2000 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:10 pm

Well I'm really disappointed in this team overall, they are almost unwatchable at this point without Ben. Jojo would have to come out with at least 30/14 every single night...who thinks that will happen?

My biggest disappointment has been Al though, I never thought he would be almost unplayable at this point. Coming off the bench, like everyone wants, has made him even worse cause its in his head now. Teams are leaving him wide open from 3 right now for a reason, just let him shoot really, he's self-guarded.

I am also scared if Ben is out for a long time, it gives Billy King and Max Headroom an out to stay around for another year.
stormi
General Manager
And1: 7,655

Post#217 » by stormi » Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:33 pm

We need a Miami style revamp. But for that to happen we need a Pat Riley and not an Elton Brand lol
KonKrete
Freshman
And1: 84

Post#218 » by KonKrete » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:19 pm

Aussiepiston1 wrote:
Mik317 wrote:
Aussiepiston1 wrote:They’re not more talented than us they’re just better coached
Brett brown will eventually go and we will be a better team

naw they are more talented than us.

talent is more than just stats and measurements. They are a well put together machine with shooters who are willing shooters, bigs who are willing shooters and good-great defenders. Their only weakness is that Bledsoe is their best shot creator but if Giannis is allowed to just run at the rim that is lessened a bit. No team is ever going to be perfect...but the main thing is that everyone has to buy in and fit to make whatever scheme you have work.

we lack that. Brett plays a role there too but the only way this was going to work is for Al, Tobias and Josh to be willing to just spot up and be near knocked down shots...thats not happening. It was a flawed idea from jump because it relied on multiple guys playing out of their comfort zones.

Yes they’re better put together i agree but they pretty much had the same team 2 years ago and once they got their new coach they exploded

The Bucks have only 4 players left from the roster that started the season 2 years ago and 2 of them almost never play.
phillynative
General Manager
And1: 2,714

Post#219 » by phillynative » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:46 pm

Imagine going all out to compete with teams like the bucks and be built for the playoffs in the off season to be exited in the first round by the heat. We need that 4th seed or else.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,848

Post#220 » by mjkvol » Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:46 pm

djsunyc wrote:
Mik317 wrote:team needs to figure out another method of offense than just hoping our mediocre shooters hit shots. We rely too much on them...just as we often relied too much on JJ hitting bail out shots. THIS is where Brett needs to get some heat for. The whole pecking order of the offense is off...we run the offense with the idea of getting our role players looks....not our better players. This goes beyond just Embiid (who by the way played like hot ass especially after his comments...he has to know that will be a talking point for idiots...don't give them ammo/ he also just missed shots lol) but also guys like Al or Tobias. The idea is to get your best players easy looks....that does not happen too often

Losing Ben hurt a lot tho.

i'm still not sure how you have a smooth functioning offense against top defenses when you have a pg that's simply unwilling to shoot the ball.

You know what? I'd like Ben to shoot as much as anyone, but this could be a very smooth functioning offense if our two stars were surrounded with players who complimented them. Instead, we have an aging 5 pretending to be a 4, and a decent 4 who needs the ball to be effective pretending to be a 3. Replace those two with 3&D snipers, and you've got a lineup that plays to what Ben and Jo actually do instead of what we wish they did.

This roster is a disaster, and we're counting on trade deadline pickups from the worst team in the league to save the season. Brown has proven to be completely incapable of doing the things necessary to make this unwieldy mess at least function on the road. If Brown and Brand somehow survive the schiit show they have turned this season into, we are staring at the ignominious end of the incredible promise of The Process.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin

Return to Philadelphia 76ers