ImageImageImage

How does this cheap ownership duck the tax next year?

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,122

Re: How does this cheap ownership duck the tax next year? 

Post#41 » by Arsenal » Sun May 10, 2020 7:56 pm

I'm reviving this thread now with the latest news of the salary cap going down next year. I assume this means our cap/tax position will be much worse than previously expected. There's no way these cheap bastards will eat such a huge tax bill, so it becomes critically important to dump massive salary. They'll probably have to attach juicy assets too like Thybulle or future picks.

First order of business, I see a salary dump of Horford. They'll be more than happy to hand over a boatload of picks to do it.

Second order of business, dumping Richardson for straight cap. Hopefully we can at least get a decent 1st rounder in the deal to draft a cheap potential replacement like Devin Vassell.

How do you see us dropping tens of millions of salary now?
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,748

Post#42 » by Negrodamus » Sun May 10, 2020 8:11 pm

Arsenal wrote:I'm reviving this thread now with the latest news of the salary cap going down next year. I assume this means our cap/tax position will be much worse than previously expected. There's no way these cheap bastards will eat such a huge tax bill, so it becomes critically important to dump massive salary. They'll probably have to attach juicy assets too like Thybulle or future picks.

First order of business, I see a salary dump of Horford. They'll be more than happy to hand over a boatload of picks to do it.

Second order of business, dumping Richardson for straight cap. Hopefully we can at least get a decent 1st rounder in the deal to draft a cheap potential replacement like Devin Vassell.

How do you see us dropping tens of millions of salary now?

If we trade Horford + legitimate assets for garbage, I'll be irate. If we trade just him, then I'm pretty indifferent. I'll treat it like we struck out in FA last year.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,046

Post#43 » by Sixerscan » Mon May 11, 2020 3:39 am

I'll believe any of that happening when I see it.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,422

Post#44 » by 76ciology » Mon May 11, 2020 9:43 am

Dumping Horford and Josh is a step closer to a complete rebuild or atleast trading one of Ben or Biid. Because you need SOOO much talent to win around Biid and Ben’s dynamics.

Next, either we try to keep afloat until Biid and Ben develops into at the level of current Bron or AD where you can just surround them with shooters.

Or we determine which of Biid or Ben is a better building block, then we trade one of them for a better supporting cast.

I mean.. maybe Biid with Zach Lavine or Brandon Ingram ( A big and a potential elite perimeter scorer) could get us further than whatever the Biid and Ben duo may bring us
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,420

Post#45 » by Eyeamok » Mon May 11, 2020 12:46 pm

No I think the NBA will put something in place to not penalize teams hit hard by the salary cap. Even if cap goes down drastically. Teams are probably basing 90% of their cap spending and guidance based on projections from the NBA executive office. To be off 10% is one thing. To be off by 30-40% is another thing all together.
The Accession of Paul Reed is upon us !

You want it to be one way....but it's the other way.

Marlo
Monix
Pro Prospect
And1: 661

Post#46 » by Monix » Sun May 17, 2020 3:15 pm

if the cap drops significantly they'll probably gives teams a chance to amnesty a contract
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,082

Post#47 » by Kobblehead » Sun May 17, 2020 3:18 pm

Watch, this team with amnesty Horford and keep Harris lol. If the league does grant relief options, we have to replace Elton and get a fresh decision maker in here. Can't have Elton making a terrible decision to save face on past decisions.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#48 » by Sixerscan » Tue May 19, 2020 2:04 pm

Kobblehead wrote:Watch, this team with amnesty Horford and keep Harris lol. If the league does grant relief options, we have to replace Elton and get a fresh decision maker in here. Can't have Elton making a terrible decision to save face on past decisions.

Ok, I’ll ask, what does amnestying Harris over horford accomplish?
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,446

Post#49 » by youngcrev » Tue May 19, 2020 6:42 pm

If amnestying Harris is on the table, that would mean Elton spent $180M of Josh Harris money on him for 1 season of play, lol. Good luck explaining that one EB. Not to mention all he gave up for the right to do so.

Not sure how Horford's money would work with the partially guaranteed incentive portions, but they'd actually save a lot more money if they were able to deal him for an expiring contract and paying the tax for the year.
ProcessDoctor
RealGM
And1: 5,183

Post#50 » by ProcessDoctor » Tue May 19, 2020 11:35 pm

Ugh the Tobias situation is so upsetting. Traded valuable assets for the right to pay a slightly above average starter $180 mil. What's worse is we chose to retain him instead of Jimmy (I know, Jimmy versus the coach and FO blah blah).

I'm fine with any excuse to get Elton and Brett out of here.
2023-2024 Philadelphia 76ers:

Lowry/Melton/Payne
Maxey/Hield/Downtin
Batum/Oubre/Council
Harris/Covington/Martin
Embiid/Reed/Bamba
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#51 » by Kobblehead » Wed May 20, 2020 1:07 pm

Sixerscan wrote:Ok, I’ll ask, what does amnestying Harris over horford accomplish?

We'd be getting out of a much longer and more financially burdensome contract, obviously.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#52 » by Sixerscan » Wed May 20, 2020 4:57 pm

Ok, care to explain the non obvious parts, like why 1.5 extra years and some extra AAV is not balanced out by horford being 6 years older and having fit issues? If we were just cutting the biggest longest financial commitment it would be Simmons so clearly there are other factors.

Personally I’m much more confident in Harris playing at a similar level 4 years from now when he’s 31 whereas Horford could easily be deadweight a year from now. Finances aside I’d rather keep both (as long as they’re on the books you can eventually use their salary as filler in a trade) but I think horford is clearly the one they would most want a do over on.

Also as crev said really doubt any owner would want to cut Harris any more than Brand would.
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#53 » by Kobblehead » Wed May 20, 2020 5:26 pm

No defense
Marginal creating
Marginal passing
Bad length
Albatross figure

I think everything about amnestying Harris is obvious, don't know why you'd even ask.

And that's why I said the next guy in here should be the one making the decision, if the league grants us relief options. Elton Brand would be fired, obviously.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#54 » by Sixerscan » Wed May 20, 2020 5:58 pm

Well you've ignored me asking about Horford twice now so I'll just assume you don't have a good reason.
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#55 » by Kobblehead » Wed May 20, 2020 7:43 pm

Horford could be a walking scrub when league resumes and it would no difference in the decision I'd make. I don't think you agree with how bad an asset Tobias Harris is and that explains your line of questioning.
kingofthecourt67
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,549

Post#56 » by kingofthecourt67 » Wed May 20, 2020 9:18 pm

Kobblehead wrote:Horford could be a walking scrub when league resumes and it would no difference in the decision I'd make. I don't think you agree with how bad an asset Tobias Harris is and that explains your line of questioning.

While Harris has not been an all-NBA player like his contract would suggest, he has been a positive on the court for our team. Horford has been a negative. You can divide each of their contributions by their $ amount to get their asset value and Harris would still be a positive and Horford still a negative.

Brand butchered the offseason and has put both Brown, Embiid, and Horford in a really tough spot. Hopefully his bench role allows him to become a positive for us moving forward.
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#57 » by Kobblehead » Wed May 20, 2020 9:52 pm

I'm fine with sitting on Horford and waiting for him to expire. I'm not fine with being stuck with a losing skillset like Tobias Harris on a ridiculous escalating, albatross max contract.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#58 » by Sixerscan » Thu May 21, 2020 1:05 am

Kobblehead wrote:Horford could be a walking scrub when league resumes and it would no difference in the decision I'd make. I don't think you agree with how bad an asset Tobias Harris is and that explains your line of questioning.

Well yeah probably, you're saying stuff like he plays no defense.
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#59 » by Kobblehead » Thu May 21, 2020 2:30 pm

Isn't that the consensus? Didn't know saying how bad a defensive player Tobias Harris is was a hot take.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#60 » by Sixerscan » Thu May 21, 2020 5:27 pm

Well he's the 6th ranked SF in DRPM, and would be similarly ranked at the 4. Here's an article with game film breaking down his improvement with this year: https://www.libertyballers.com/2020/1/8/21056312/tobias-harris-is-living-up-to-his-contract-philadelphia-76ers-nba I don't agree with everything in this article but it's not some sort of consensus that he's awful.

Him being able to do a decent job on Gasol was pretty big in the Raptors series too. I don't think he's all league or anything but he's fine to good. If he's your 4th or 5th best defensive player on the court you're in pretty great shape.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers