ImageImageImage

NBA Suspends Season Due to Coronavirus

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, Foshan, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

User avatar
76ciology
RealGM
Posts: 42,298
And1: 13,306
Joined: Jun 06, 2002
Contact:

Re: NBA Suspends Season Due to Coronavirus 

Post#121 » by 76ciology » Mon Apr 6, 2020 5:53 pm

Negrodamus wrote:
snoopdogg88 wrote:The bucks are gonna get 94 Expo’d. Absolutely brutal for them. They may not recover from this.

The NBA isn’t coming back this season. Just too much at risk and we’re running out of time. It would be too rushed.

This is a blessing for us. Simmons wasn’t gonna be ready for the playoffs anyway and I fear he may have tried to rush back. It would’ve been an embarrassingly early exit for us.


It's not exactly great for us either. I mean, unless management figures out how to make the correct moves this offseason to maximize Embiid and Simmons's value, we just burned another year of a potential playoff run with our two stars in the beginning of their prime.

However, this has been an excellent season for the GS Warriors. Technically, their Finals streak hasn't been broken and they get a top 3 pick most likely!


Lol never thought of that. 10000x
“Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there is absolutely no point.”
VDT
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,459
And1: 890
Joined: Oct 13, 2018

Re: NBA Suspends Season Due to Coronavirus 

Post#122 » by VDT » Tue Apr 7, 2020 1:52 am

Negrodamus wrote:
snoopdogg88 wrote:The bucks are gonna get 94 Expo’d. Absolutely brutal for them. They may not recover from this.

The NBA isn’t coming back this season. Just too much at risk and we’re running out of time. It would be too rushed.

This is a blessing for us. Simmons wasn’t gonna be ready for the playoffs anyway and I fear he may have tried to rush back. It would’ve been an embarrassingly early exit for us.


It's not exactly great for us either. I mean, unless management figures out how to make the correct moves this offseason to maximize Embiid and Simmons's value, we just burned another year of a potential playoff run with our two stars in the beginning of their prime.



Plus Embiid is not really in the beginning of his prime. Next playoffs he is going to be 27, most players peak around 27-28 and with Embiid's injury history and risk noone can predict how steep his eventual decline will be.

There is also the chance, in the absence of any playoff failure, that they will bring the same team back for one more run.
User avatar
ProcessDoctor
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,627
And1: 2,165
Joined: Jul 02, 2006
   

Re: NBA Suspends Season Due to Coronavirus 

Post#123 » by ProcessDoctor » Tue Apr 7, 2020 2:09 am

Two things must happen this offseason:

1. Brett Brown firing
2. Trade involving Horford or Harris to bring back a shooting wing

HM: Replacing Elton Brand if there’s a better candidate available.

We can’t allow the shortened season to create an illusion of what this roster’s ceiling is/was.
2019-2020 Philadelphia 76ers:

Simmons/Milton/Neto
Richardson/Korkmaz/Smith
Robinson/Burks/Thybulle
Harris/Scott
Embiid/Horford/Pelle/O’Quinn
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
Posts: 30,628
And1: 12,810
Joined: Jan 25, 2005

Re: NBA Suspends Season Due to Coronavirus 

Post#124 » by Sixerscan » Tue Apr 7, 2020 7:10 pm

Horford will be much more tradeable if you wait until summer 2021 to do it.

You sign a guard to start with the MLE and bring Horford off the bench. Hopefully with added depth, better injury luck and a clearer sense of what lineups do and don't work they'll perform better. If not Horford is close to expiring in summer 2021 and instead of having to pay a premium to get off him he becomes more of a neutral value filler in a trade.

Hopefully after years of completely remaking the team seemingly every couple of months they don't give up at the first sign of something not working perfectly for once, especially in what will be an abnormal offseason. It's gonna be like after the lockout before the 11/12 season where the teams that keep a lot of continuity have an advantage.
Wilfried
Veteran
Posts: 2,955
And1: 1,016
Joined: May 24, 2007

Re: NBA Suspends Season Due to Coronavirus 

Post#125 » by Wilfried » Wed Apr 8, 2020 1:11 pm

I also don't feel the need to move big Al, because from day one it was clear he was the Embiid insurance.
And Joel, even without any big injuries, still managed to miss more than 1/5th of the games this season.

But if the Kings would be open for a Horford - Hield swap, I would do it ...
User avatar
76ciology
RealGM
Posts: 42,298
And1: 13,306
Joined: Jun 06, 2002
Contact:

Re: NBA Suspends Season Due to Coronavirus 

Post#126 » by 76ciology » Thu Apr 9, 2020 5:12 am

Agree with sixerscan.

If you want to move Al, it’s on 2021. Short term sign using MLE. For me, preferably a guy who can play the 4 who can shoot, drive, dish and wont be a liability on defense.
“Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there is absolutely no point.”
Wilfried
Veteran
Posts: 2,955
And1: 1,016
Joined: May 24, 2007

Re: NBA Suspends Season Due to Coronavirus 

Post#127 » by Wilfried » Thu Apr 9, 2020 11:32 am

76ciology wrote:If you want to move Al, it’s on 2021. Short term sign using MLE. For me, preferably a guy who can play the 4 who can shoot, drive, dish and wont be a liability on defense.


Someone like Tobias Harris ?
ankle420breaker
General Manager
Posts: 7,874
And1: 1,112
Joined: Sep 21, 2005
Location: South Jersey

Re: NBA Suspends Season Due to Coronavirus 

Post#128 » by ankle420breaker » Thu Apr 9, 2020 12:17 pm

Wilfried wrote:
76ciology wrote:If you want to move Al, it’s on 2021. Short term sign using MLE. For me, preferably a guy who can play the 4 who can shoot, drive, dish and wont be a liability on defense.


Someone like Tobias Harris ?
Dario for backup PF 2020. He's still under contract through next year, but should be affordable via trade.

I'd prefer to use the MLE on a volume shooting guard or wing.

Sent from my SM-G970U using RealGM mobile app
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
Posts: 30,628
And1: 12,810
Joined: Jan 25, 2005

Re: NBA Suspends Season Due to Coronavirus 

Post#129 » by Sixerscan » Thu Apr 9, 2020 3:23 pm

ankle420breaker wrote:
Wilfried wrote:
76ciology wrote:If you want to move Al, it’s on 2021. Short term sign using MLE. For me, preferably a guy who can play the 4 who can shoot, drive, dish and wont be a liability on defense.


Someone like Tobias Harris ?
Dario for backup PF 2020. He's still under contract through next year, but should be affordable via trade.

I'd prefer to use the MLE on a volume shooting guard or wing.

Sent from my SM-G970U using RealGM mobile app


Dario is an RFA, guessing you're seeing his QO.

I think a lot of this comes down to how sold you are on Shake. If he's actually a playoff rotation caliber combo guard, then you have that spot locked in for the next 3 years at the minimum. Between him and Richardson hopefully having better health luck you probably have enough ball handling besides Ben and can focus on upgrading from Korkmaz (who you probably have to think about replacing anyway since he's a UFA in '21). Otherwise I think that's the most important spot to lock in someone that can play with or without Ben.
ankle420breaker
General Manager
Posts: 7,874
And1: 1,112
Joined: Sep 21, 2005
Location: South Jersey

Re: NBA Suspends Season Due to Coronavirus 

Post#130 » by ankle420breaker » Thu Apr 9, 2020 4:20 pm

Sixerscan wrote:
ankle420breaker wrote:
Wilfried wrote:
Someone like Tobias Harris ?
Dario for backup PF 2020. He's still under contract through next year, but should be affordable via trade.

I'd prefer to use the MLE on a volume shooting guard or wing.

Sent from my SM-G970U using RealGM mobile app


Dario is an RFA, guessing you're seeing his QO.

I think a lot of this comes down to how sold you are on Shake. If he's actually a playoff rotation caliber combo guard, then you have that spot locked in for the next 3 years at the minimum. Between him and Richardson hopefully having better health luck you probably have enough ball handling besides Ben and can focus on upgrading from Korkmaz (who you probably have to think about replacing anyway since he's a UFA in '21). Otherwise I think that's the most important spot to lock in someone that can play with or without Ben.
I like Shake, it's just still so early that it feels wreckless to believe in him with total certainty. I do like his chances though.

Missed that on Dario and it'll be interesting to see if Phoenix looks to keep him around. He's a potential opportunity buy this summer. Fits well with both Embiid & Simmons. Clear upgrade over Scott.

Sent from my SM-G970U using RealGM mobile app
User avatar
76ciology
RealGM
Posts: 42,298
And1: 13,306
Joined: Jun 06, 2002
Contact:

Re: NBA Suspends Season Due to Coronavirus 

Post#131 » by 76ciology » Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:27 am

Do you think the NBA has to continue the season or just cancel it?

If they continue, the season should be around late may and end maybe around october. If they do that, there’s just a ripple effect in the scheduling going forward. For instance, the start of the next season could be around feb or march.

But then if they cancel this season, it would be really unfair for the Lakers. And if EVER they cancel the draft, it would be unfair for the Warriors.
“Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there is absolutely no point.”
ankle420breaker
General Manager
Posts: 7,874
And1: 1,112
Joined: Sep 21, 2005
Location: South Jersey

Re: NBA Suspends Season Due to Coronavirus 

Post#132 » by ankle420breaker » Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:34 pm

I think they want to avoid cancelling the balance of the season at all costs.

I'm on board with Cuban's suggestion to finish the season late and then kick off the 20-21 season on Christmas.... everyone plays a shortened schedule next year.

Sent from my SM-G970U using RealGM mobile app
ankle420breaker
General Manager
Posts: 7,874
And1: 1,112
Joined: Sep 21, 2005
Location: South Jersey

Re: NBA Suspends Season Due to Coronavirus 

Post#133 » by ankle420breaker » Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:09 pm

If the balance of the season were to be canceled then I believe we'd get the OKC pick given the current standings. Really hoping that conveys.

Sent from my SM-G970U using RealGM mobile app
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
Posts: 30,628
And1: 12,810
Joined: Jan 25, 2005

Re: NBA Suspends Season Due to Coronavirus 

Post#134 » by Sixerscan » Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:49 pm

76ciology wrote:Do you think the NBA has to continue the season or just cancel it?

If they continue, the season should be around late may and end maybe around october. If they do that, there’s just a ripple effect in the scheduling going forward. For instance, the start of the next season could be around feb or march.

But then if they cancel this season, it would be really unfair for the Lakers. And if EVER they cancel the draft, it would be unfair for the Warriors.


I'm not sure why they would cancel the draft.

I assume they'll eventually get it up and running where they can play a couple weeks of regular season games then do the playoffs. Playoffs are the money maker.
Wilfried
Veteran
Posts: 2,955
And1: 1,016
Joined: May 24, 2007

Re: NBA Suspends Season Due to Coronavirus 

Post#135 » by Wilfried » Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:29 am

Sixerscan wrote:
76ciology wrote:Do you think the NBA has to continue the season or just cancel it?

If they continue, the season should be around late may and end maybe around october. If they do that, there’s just a ripple effect in the scheduling going forward. For instance, the start of the next season could be around feb or march.

But then if they cancel this season, it would be really unfair for the Lakers. And if EVER they cancel the draft, it would be unfair for the Warriors.


I'm not sure why they would cancel the draft.

I assume they'll eventually get it up and running where they can play a couple weeks of regular season games then do the playoffs. Playoffs are the money maker.


Maybe they also do a 'best-of-5' first round, like in the old days
User avatar
76ciology
RealGM
Posts: 42,298
And1: 13,306
Joined: Jun 06, 2002
Contact:

Re: NBA Suspends Season Due to Coronavirus 

Post#136 » by 76ciology » Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:18 am

Wilfried wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:
76ciology wrote:Do you think the NBA has to continue the season or just cancel it?

If they continue, the season should be around late may and end maybe around october. If they do that, there’s just a ripple effect in the scheduling going forward. For instance, the start of the next season could be around feb or march.

But then if they cancel this season, it would be really unfair for the Lakers. And if EVER they cancel the draft, it would be unfair for the Warriors.


I'm not sure why they would cancel the draft.

I assume they'll eventually get it up and running where they can play a couple weeks of regular season games then do the playoffs. Playoffs are the money maker.


Maybe they also do a 'best-of-5' first round, like in the old days


If they continue the regular season and end it then maybe they’ll proceed with the draft.

I feel like if they will continue the season then they better end it with everyone playing their 82 games just to be fair.

Im not a fan of shortened season, those type of seasons feels like “unofficial” for me.
“Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there is absolutely no point.”
snoopdogg88
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,795
And1: 2,996
Joined: Jun 03, 2010
       

Re: NBA Suspends Season Due to Coronavirus 

Post#137 » by snoopdogg88 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:14 pm

I'm curious how the extra rest time will affect often injured or older players who desperately could use the time off to recharge.

if the season does return or even if we have to wait until next season, I could see guys like Horford or Embiid looking much improved.
Assuming Jo didn't gain 50 pounds by then.
snoopdogg88
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,795
And1: 2,996
Joined: Jun 03, 2010
       

Re: NBA Suspends Season Due to Coronavirus 

Post#138 » by snoopdogg88 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:18 pm

Negrodamus wrote:
snoopdogg88 wrote:The bucks are gonna get 94 Expo’d. Absolutely brutal for them. They may not recover from this.

The NBA isn’t coming back this season. Just too much at risk and we’re running out of time. It would be too rushed.

This is a blessing for us. Simmons wasn’t gonna be ready for the playoffs anyway and I fear he may have tried to rush back. It would’ve been an embarrassingly early exit for us.


It's not exactly great for us either. I mean, unless management figures out how to make the correct moves this offseason to maximize Embiid and Simmons's value, we just burned another year of a potential playoff run with our two stars in the beginning of their prime.

However, this has been an excellent season for the GS Warriors. Technically, their Finals streak hasn't been broken and they get a top 3 pick most likely!



I don't think Jo or Ben were really ready/mature enough to make a legit championship run this season. Another 2nd round exit was sadly the most likely scenario, possibly a run to the ECF where we would get walloped by the Bucks.
Young players don't win championships in this league, with a few exceptions from generational players. Ben and Joel need all the experience they can get. Immaturity is still a major issue with them.

It's been apparent all season neither of them made the improvements to their game and mindset they needed to make for us to take the next step to being a legit contender.

I think if anything, this gives them another year to grow and mature. the real question is whether the supporting cast is good enough or if Elton screwed it up too much to overcome.
User avatar
ProcessDoctor
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,627
And1: 2,165
Joined: Jul 02, 2006
   

Re: NBA Suspends Season Due to Coronavirus 

Post#139 » by ProcessDoctor » Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:40 pm

I don't understand how they're thinking of resuming the season when teams are trying to push the draft back from June 25th. Just end the season and start planning for the new NBA year. I understand financially it's a huge blow, but creating a watered-down rushed product isn't the answer.
2019-2020 Philadelphia 76ers:

Simmons/Milton/Neto
Richardson/Korkmaz/Smith
Robinson/Burks/Thybulle
Harris/Scott
Embiid/Horford/Pelle/O’Quinn
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
Posts: 30,628
And1: 12,810
Joined: Jan 25, 2005

Re: NBA Suspends Season Due to Coronavirus 

Post#140 » by Sixerscan » Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:04 pm

ProcessDoctor wrote:I don't understand how they're thinking of resuming the season when teams are trying to push the draft back from June 25th. Just end the season and start planning for the new NBA year. I understand financially it's a huge blow, but creating a watered-down rushed product isn't the answer.


They're pushing the draft back because they want to try to resume the season at some point.

I'm sure they would rather have two playoffs with a shortened regular season in between as opposed to just one season and one playoffs.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers