ImageImageImage

Championship hopes

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, Foshan, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

LloydFree
RealGM
Posts: 13,719
And1: 9,710
Joined: Aug 20, 2012
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Re: Championship hopes 

Post#241 » by LloydFree » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:13 pm

youngcrev wrote:
LloydFree wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:No Sabonis means Embiid is gonna eat*. He always handles turner.

*In their 24 minutes he plays before getting tired.

It's going to be a dog fight for the #3 seed. Indiana will be locked into the 6th seed, and if it weren't for Brooklyn, they'd be the worst team in the playoffs.


You mean #4 seed or is the Celtics schedule that rough? We'd have to win 5 more games than them to overtake that #3 seed.

Boston is like 2 games ahead of the Heat, and they haven't looked very good when I've seen them. They're going to be fighting to keep that 3 seed to avoid the 76ers, or Heat for that matter.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
youngcrev
RealGM
Posts: 21,523
And1: 4,003
Joined: Jun 12, 2005
Location: Philadelphia(ish)
   

Re: Championship hopes 

Post#242 » by youngcrev » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:19 pm

LloydFree wrote:
youngcrev wrote:
LloydFree wrote:It's going to be a dog fight for the #3 seed. Indiana will be locked into the 6th seed, and if it weren't for Brooklyn, they'd be the worst team in the playoffs.


You mean #4 seed or is the Celtics schedule that rough? We'd have to win 5 more games than them to overtake that #3 seed.

Boston is like 2 games ahead of the Heat, and they haven't looked very good when I've seen them. They're going to be fighting to keep that 3 seed to avoid the 76ers, or Heat for that matter.


Ah, got ya. Thought you meant we'd be in that fight
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
Posts: 30,673
And1: 12,842
Joined: Jan 25, 2005

Re: Championship hopes 

Post#243 » by Sixerscan » Sat Aug 1, 2020 2:02 am

LloydFree wrote:
youngcrev wrote:
LloydFree wrote:It's going to be a dog fight for the #3 seed. Indiana will be locked into the 6th seed, and if it weren't for Brooklyn, they'd be the worst team in the playoffs.


You mean #4 seed or is the Celtics schedule that rough? We'd have to win 5 more games than them to overtake that #3 seed.

Boston is like 2 games ahead of the Heat, and they haven't looked very good when I've seen them. They're going to be fighting to keep that 3 seed to avoid the 76ers, or Heat for that matter.


Celtics and Heat play next week. Celtics' schedule is pretty easy otherwise so the Heat would probably have to win that for it to be a real race.

It wouldn't shock me if all of the east spots are more or less locked up by this time next week.
User avatar
76ciology
RealGM
Posts: 42,481
And1: 13,327
Joined: Jun 06, 2002
Contact:

Re: Championship hopes 

Post#244 » by 76ciology » Sun Aug 2, 2020 12:55 am

If you are wondering what I meant by playing big to create mismatches for guys like Al, Ben and Tobi. Watch the Pacers game.
“Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there is absolutely no point.”
Black Mage
Veteran
Posts: 2,687
And1: 2,581
Joined: Feb 24, 2017
       

Re: Championship hopes 

Post#245 » by Black Mage » Sun Aug 2, 2020 2:50 am

76ciology wrote:If you are wondering what I meant by playing big to create mismatches for guys like Al, Ben and Tobi. Watch the Pacers game.


Al couldn't take advantage of an undersized Justin Holiday tonight, not sure he provides us any mismatches.
User avatar
Worst_to_First
General Manager
Posts: 7,517
And1: 4,733
Joined: Feb 25, 2015
 

Re: Championship hopes 

Post#246 » by Worst_to_First » Sun Aug 2, 2020 2:57 am

You guys better off falling to 6th to avoid the Bucks until the ECF.

You play the Celtics well although the Raps could be problematic as they are good in containing Jo.
User avatar
76ciology
RealGM
Posts: 42,481
And1: 13,327
Joined: Jun 06, 2002
Contact:

Re: Championship hopes 

Post#247 » by 76ciology » Sun Aug 2, 2020 6:07 am

I dont know if you guys noticed Tobi has been more aggressive on scoring since day 1 of the bubble.

Right now I find our offense to be..
biid create
Tobi create off screens
Ben create for 3pt shooters

On our mind we might be envisioning Biid and Ben scoring a volume of points to win us games. I do.

I think we need to change that and accept the harmony of a Biid and Tobi scoring for themselves and Ben creating for 3pt shooters (thus Milton’s addition).

So I expect a lot more of 2017-2019 Ben Simmons, but the return of 2018-2019 Biid. Then our shooters and Tobi being a lot better with Ben creating for them. Well, atleast for me.
“Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there is absolutely no point.”
VDT
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,568
And1: 918
Joined: Oct 13, 2018

Re: Championship hopes 

Post#248 » by VDT » Sun Aug 2, 2020 10:19 am

Toby was bad efficiency wise, doesnt draw any fouls and has zero passing vision. He should be asked to do very specific things offensively and not freestyle it. The problem is that the Sixers lack an offensive system so he does his thing when he gets the ball.
User avatar
76ciology
RealGM
Posts: 42,481
And1: 13,327
Joined: Jun 06, 2002
Contact:

Re: Championship hopes 

Post#249 » by 76ciology » Sun Aug 2, 2020 12:06 pm

VDT wrote:Toby was bad efficiency wise, doesnt draw any fouls and has zero passing vision. He should be asked to do very specific things offensively and not freestyle it. The problem is that the Sixers lack an offensive system so he does his thing when he gets the ball.


He’s not that good but he can be better. Let’s be realistic and root for him to improve.

One action that has potential and has increased it’s frequency IMO is the guard would run a 2 man game with him then him attacking the defense when it switches.

He’s basically playing that Klay Thompson or Richard Hamilton role. He’s gonna keep hunting to score some points which is ideal for his skillset and the make-up of this team (given how Ben is not a natural).

One brightside regarding this is it requires less Ben scoring which allows more Biid scoring in the paint
“Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there is absolutely no point.”
ankle420breaker
General Manager
Posts: 7,904
And1: 1,134
Joined: Sep 21, 2005
Location: South Jersey

Re: Championship hopes 

Post#250 » by ankle420breaker » Sun Aug 2, 2020 12:13 pm

Getting back to the thread title (Championship Hopes), I'd say we've reached that point where its safe to say that this team doesn't have what it takes. Anyone still expecting us to suddenly turn it on in the postseason is delusional.

Sent from my SM-G970U using RealGM mobile app
phillynative
Analyst
Posts: 3,306
And1: 553
Joined: Dec 13, 2014

Re: Championship hopes 

Post#251 » by phillynative » Sun Aug 2, 2020 2:35 pm

ankle420breaker wrote:Getting back to the thread title (Championship Hopes), I'd say we've reached that point where its safe to say that this team doesn't have what it takes. Anyone still expecting us to suddenly turn it on in the postseason is delusional.

Sent from my SM-G970U using RealGM mobile app


Nah we are outclassed
rzzzzz
Veteran
Posts: 2,923
And1: 840
Joined: Feb 21, 2015
 

Re: Championship hopes 

Post#252 » by rzzzzz » Sun Aug 2, 2020 2:50 pm

when Brett starts defending losses with "Pick your poison." (which was his original tanking strategy of giving hot handed opponent plenty of space to shoot), you know we're in serious trouble heading into the playoffs. 53 points, but you don't want to double the guy, or even just keep a good defender up in his face instead of switching and helping, and brush it off with "Pick your poison"? we've seen this train wreck before.
phillynative
Analyst
Posts: 3,306
And1: 553
Joined: Dec 13, 2014

Re: Championship hopes 

Post#253 » by phillynative » Sun Aug 2, 2020 3:10 pm

rzzzzz wrote:when Brett starts defending losses with "Pick your poison." (which was his original tanking strategy of giving hot handed opponent plenty of space to shoot), you know we're in serious trouble heading into the playoffs. 53 points, but you don't want to double the guy, or even just keep a good defender up in his face instead of switching and helping, and brush it off with "Pick your poison"? we've seen this train wreck before.


Lol did he really say "pick your poison"? TJ warren was the only player going off on the pacers though. Instead of admitting he made the wrong choice of hoping he cooled off he spits his usual brett rhetoric.

Maybe get the ball out his hand brett and see what the other pacers who are not as much of a threat can do. As good as oladipo is hes still recovering and we still have the length in jrich,matisse and ben to disrupt him . With Tj that clearly wasnt the case, he has good size and has always been a natural scorer and was having one of best scoring games of his career by halftime.. :roll:
ankle420breaker
General Manager
Posts: 7,904
And1: 1,134
Joined: Sep 21, 2005
Location: South Jersey

Re: Championship hopes 

Post#254 » by ankle420breaker » Mon Aug 3, 2020 1:30 pm

Who's willing to bet Brett abandons the Shake starting project after one game and ends up playing Neto more minutes?

Sent from my SM-G970U using RealGM mobile app
Negrodamus
RealGM
Posts: 13,714
And1: 5,413
Joined: Aug 05, 2004

Re: Championship hopes 

Post#255 » by Negrodamus » Mon Aug 3, 2020 1:54 pm

ankle420breaker wrote:Who's willing to bet Brett abandons the Shake starting project after one game and ends up playing Neto more minutes?

Sent from my SM-G970U using RealGM mobile app


That might be a scenario where I don't watch the rest of this season. Not because I'm so pro-Shake, but rather I'm anti-Neto starting. Dude is a fringe NBA player.
VDT
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,568
And1: 918
Joined: Oct 13, 2018

Re: Championship hopes 

Post#256 » by VDT » Mon Aug 3, 2020 2:36 pm

I think he will play Shake more, primarily because there are not many options. But i feel that we are already asking too much from a late second round pick. Brown should probably determine who is getting the minutes on a game to game basis, depending on the opponent and who is hot.
youngcrev
RealGM
Posts: 21,523
And1: 4,003
Joined: Jun 12, 2005
Location: Philadelphia(ish)
   

Re: Championship hopes 

Post#257 » by youngcrev » Mon Aug 3, 2020 3:27 pm

I think you've got to make a concerted effort to get Shake involved in this next one and throw him in some pick and roll to get him comfortable out there. That's probably not where the scouting report says their best option is, but you've got to build him up if this thing has any shot at working. Neto is not an actual option, he's a break in case of emergency player.
NYSixersFan
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,898
And1: 579
Joined: May 21, 2014
       

Re: Championship hopes 

Post#258 » by NYSixersFan » Mon Aug 3, 2020 3:44 pm

I'm still pissed....This should not be difficult...

On Offense only two things should happen...posting up Embiid or running PNR.

On defense I don't understand why Embiid is constantly under the basket on PNR...we consistently give up easy 10 footers...he has the athleticism to challenge the shooter and get back to the rim.

FIRE BRETT!
bball4life
Analyst
Posts: 3,511
And1: 899
Joined: Jul 25, 2001

Re: Championship hopes 

Post#259 » by bball4life » Mon Aug 3, 2020 4:13 pm

I'm starting to actually wonder if the nonsensical, fake intellectual gobbly gook that Brett Brown spouts in his pregrame sound bites and post game sound bites is also how he tries to coach the team. If so, I sort of understand why no one looks like they know what they're supposed to do on the court. He doesn't actually say anything real. It would be comical to hear a compilation of all of Brett's pregrame nonsense. Its astoundingly meaningless.

Now here me out. I know this is going to sound outrageous, but is it possible that Brett doesn't really understand what a PnR is? If that were true, everything we are seeing does actually make sense. The players cant defend it AT ALL, and the players can't run it AT ALL. Embiid doesn't even know how to set a screen. Where's the coaching?
youngcrev
RealGM
Posts: 21,523
And1: 4,003
Joined: Jun 12, 2005
Location: Philadelphia(ish)
   

Re: Championship hopes 

Post#260 » by youngcrev » Mon Aug 3, 2020 5:11 pm

NYSixersFan wrote:I'm still pissed....This should not be difficult...

On Offense only two things should happen...posting up Embiid or running PNR.

On defense I don't understand why Embiid is constantly under the basket on PNR...we consistently give up easy 10 footers...he has the athleticism to challenge the shooter and get back to the rim.

FIRE BRETT!


Seems like the bigger issue is that they try to do this when Jo isn't on the floor. They're great defensively when he's out there. Even in this game they had a DRTG of 100.0 with him. He's an elite defender, so you'd expect a drop off, but there's really no reason a lineup with Horford anchoring and Simmons and Thybulle or Richardson on the floor shouldn't still be good defensively.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers