ImageImageImage

Championship hopes

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

User avatar
76ciology
RealGM
Posts: 42,563
And1: 13,347
Joined: Jun 06, 2002
Contact:

Re: Championship hopes 

Post#201 » by 76ciology » Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:06 pm

Read on Twitter


Embiid Milton 2 man game actions
“Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there is absolutely no point.”
LloydFree
RealGM
Posts: 13,731
And1: 9,720
Joined: Aug 20, 2012
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Re: Championship hopes 

Post#202 » by LloydFree » Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:20 pm

sixers hoops wrote:
LloydFree wrote:
eagereyez wrote:I agree with the young guys getting minutes. They are the future. The Sixers are going to be capped out and they've already used up many of their trade assets. They really need one of those prospects to develop into a good quality starter or at least rotation piece.

Shake and Thybulle are already Starters/good rotation pieces, who make next to nothing for the next 3 seasons.


It seems like they they need more floor spacing than I initially expected. I thought Horford, Richardson, and Tobias would provide plenty of spacing for Joel and Ben, but depending on simply above average shooters doesn’t seem to be enough. Other teams sag off Ben and collapse on Joel, and dare those guys to beat them.

I’ll be curious to see how many of Thybulle, Shake, Furkan, and Tobias will be consistent enough shooters to allow Joel and Ben to both be successful, or make the other team pay, against playoff teams.

I think some of the problems with the starting lineup is that they've rarely played together. Either Embiid or Richardson miss nearly every road game. Richardson has never got into a groove, because he's always hurt. If everyone is healthy, everyone can get into a groove. Then they can properly play these guys in the proper combinations based on the matchups.

While Horford has been a disappointment, I always looked at him as Embiid insurance anyway. I didn't come into the season expecting anything from Thybulle, Shake or Korkmaz, so the outlook of the team isn't as gloomy as some make it, IMO. If either Richardson steps up to what he was last year, or one of young guys (Shake, Korkmaz, Thybulle) shows he's a playoff player, the team can beat anybody, especially in the East.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
Posts: 7,903
And1: 1,740
Joined: Jun 28, 2002

Re: Championship hopes 

Post#203 » by sixers hoops » Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:32 pm

LloydFree wrote:
sixers hoops wrote:
LloydFree wrote:Shake and Thybulle are already Starters/good rotation pieces, who make next to nothing for the next 3 seasons.


It seems like they they need more floor spacing than I initially expected. I thought Horford, Richardson, and Tobias would provide plenty of spacing for Joel and Ben, but depending on simply above average shooters doesn’t seem to be enough. Other teams sag off Ben and collapse on Joel, and dare those guys to beat them.

I’ll be curious to see how many of Thybulle, Shake, Furkan, and Tobias will be consistent enough shooters to allow Joel and Ben to both be successful, or make the other team pay, against playoff teams.

I think some of the problems with the starting lineup is that they've rarely played together. Either Embiid or Richardson miss nearly every road game. Richardson has never got into a groove, because he's always hurt. If everyone is healthy, everyone can get into a groove. Then they can properly play these guys in the proper combinations based on the matchups.

While Horford has been a disappointment, I always looked at him as Embiid insurance anyway. I didn't come into the season expecting anything from Thybulle, Shake or Korkmaz, so the outlook of the team isn't as gloomy as some make it, IMO. If either Richardson steps up to what he was last year, or one of young guys (Shake, Korkmaz, Thybulle) shows he's a playoff player, the team can beat anybody, especially in the East.


I hope so.

I actually liked Richardson better than bringing back Butler, considering age and contract. I thought if he shot 37% from three, he would be a long-term fit with Simmons, Embiid, and Tobias. However, it just seems like when Embiid and Simmons are on the floor together, the other team is collapsing in the lane. For Richardson to stay on the floor with those guys, he has to shoot way better. Ben and Joel log a lot of minutes, so players who can’t be a threat from the perimeter, are a tough fit on our offense.
User avatar
76ciology
RealGM
Posts: 42,563
And1: 13,347
Joined: Jun 06, 2002
Contact:

Re: Championship hopes 

Post#204 » by 76ciology » Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:13 am

Read on Twitter


Burks got two with the Warriors.
“Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there is absolutely no point.”
User avatar
76ciology
RealGM
Posts: 42,563
And1: 13,347
Joined: Jun 06, 2002
Contact:

Re: Championship hopes 

Post#205 » by 76ciology » Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:29 pm

Read on Twitter


We play offense like we have multiple PFs (which is the truth!). Hahhaha
“Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there is absolutely no point.”
MVP1992
Junior
Posts: 338
And1: 157
Joined: Dec 04, 2018
 

Re: Championship hopes 

Post#206 » by MVP1992 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:45 am

[quote="76ciology]

We play offense like we have multiple PFs (which is the truth!). Hahhaha[/quote]

That Atlanta graphic is pretty funny. Thick with half court bombs
ankle420breaker
General Manager
Posts: 7,920
And1: 1,138
Joined: Sep 21, 2005
Location: South Jersey

Re: Championship hopes 

Post#207 » by ankle420breaker » Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:16 pm

Anyone else not expecting GRIII to have much of a role in the bubble? There's hardly enough minutes to go around for Shake, J-Rich, Burks, Thybulle, & Korkmaz and I can't see Glenn beating any of them out for minutes.

Sent from my SM-G970U using RealGM mobile app
Negrodamus
RealGM
Posts: 13,855
And1: 5,457
Joined: Aug 05, 2004

Re: Championship hopes 

Post#208 » by Negrodamus » Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:59 pm

ankle420breaker wrote:Anyone else not expecting GRIII to have much of a role in the bubble? There's hardly enough minutes to go around for Shake, J-Rich, Burks, Thybulle, & Korkmaz and I can't see Glenn beating any of them out for minutes.

Sent from my SM-G970U using RealGM mobile app


Wouldn't he be playing behind Tobias and also playing small ball 4?
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
Posts: 30,690
And1: 12,849
Joined: Jan 25, 2005

Re: Championship hopes 

Post#209 » by Sixerscan » Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:47 pm

Negrodamus wrote:
ankle420breaker wrote:Anyone else not expecting GRIII to have much of a role in the bubble? There's hardly enough minutes to go around for Shake, J-Rich, Burks, Thybulle, & Korkmaz and I can't see Glenn beating any of them out for minutes.

Sent from my SM-G970U using RealGM mobile app


Wouldn't he be playing behind Tobias and also playing small ball 4?


Seems like the plan right now is to play a lot of smaller lineups with more guards. That said, I don't think anyone is guaranteed minutes in the playoffs beyond the original starting 5. Will depend on matchups and who is playing well. GR3 does have the advantage though of not having an obvious weakness to exploit (just straight B- across the board).
youngcrev
RealGM
Posts: 21,589
And1: 4,034
Joined: Jun 12, 2005
Location: Philadelphia(ish)
   

Re: Championship hopes 

Post#210 » by youngcrev » Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:31 pm

ankle420breaker wrote:Anyone else not expecting GRIII to have much of a role in the bubble? There's hardly enough minutes to go around for Shake, J-Rich, Burks, Thybulle, & Korkmaz and I can't see Glenn beating any of them out for minutes.

Sent from my SM-G970U using RealGM mobile app


I don't have Korkmaz or Burks on separate footing from him. I like to think Thybulle is ahead of that bunch of bench wings, but that might not necessarily be true with how bad his offense is. Probably going to be matchup/situation dependent. I have a hard time seeing Korkmaz getting run against a good team since I think he'd be targeted to death.

Horford feels like the only rotational lock for minutes off the bench.
ankle420breaker
General Manager
Posts: 7,920
And1: 1,138
Joined: Sep 21, 2005
Location: South Jersey

Re: Championship hopes 

Post#211 » by ankle420breaker » Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:58 pm

youngcrev wrote:
ankle420breaker wrote:Anyone else not expecting GRIII to have much of a role in the bubble? There's hardly enough minutes to go around for Shake, J-Rich, Burks, Thybulle, & Korkmaz and I can't see Glenn beating any of them out for minutes.

Sent from my SM-G970U using RealGM mobile app


I don't have Korkmaz or Burks on separate footing from him. I like to think Thybulle is ahead of that bunch of bench wings, but that might not necessarily be true with how bad his offense is. Probably going to be matchup/situation dependent. I have a hard time seeing Korkmaz getting run against a good team since I think he'd be targeted to death.

Horford feels like the only rotational lock for minutes off the bench.
I definitely have Burks a couple tiers ahead of Robinson in terms of being someone who can be relied upon to produce in playoff games. Glenn to me is still a little too erratic and inconsistent.

Sent from my SM-G970U using RealGM mobile app
youngcrev
RealGM
Posts: 21,589
And1: 4,034
Joined: Jun 12, 2005
Location: Philadelphia(ish)
   

Re: Championship hopes 

Post#212 » by youngcrev » Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:27 pm

ankle420breaker wrote:
youngcrev wrote:
ankle420breaker wrote:Anyone else not expecting GRIII to have much of a role in the bubble? There's hardly enough minutes to go around for Shake, J-Rich, Burks, Thybulle, & Korkmaz and I can't see Glenn beating any of them out for minutes.

Sent from my SM-G970U using RealGM mobile app


I don't have Korkmaz or Burks on separate footing from him. I like to think Thybulle is ahead of that bunch of bench wings, but that might not necessarily be true with how bad his offense is. Probably going to be matchup/situation dependent. I have a hard time seeing Korkmaz getting run against a good team since I think he'd be targeted to death.

Horford feels like the only rotational lock for minutes off the bench.
I definitely have Burks a couple tiers ahead of Robinson in terms of being someone who can be relied upon to produce in playoff games. Glenn to me is still a little too erratic and inconsistent.

Sent from my SM-G970U using RealGM mobile app


I think it just depends on what they're looking for at the moment. Defense you go Thybulle. Shooting you go Korkmaz. But if you need some balance between the two you go Robinson. Playmaking you'd obviously go Burks, but I think they'd prefer to have a lower usage guy and lean on their starters for that.
User avatar
Mik317
RealGM
Posts: 29,016
And1: 9,390
Joined: May 31, 2005
Location: In your head....you have issues breh
       

Re: Championship hopes 

Post#213 » by Mik317 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:58 pm

I think the lineup is

PG:Shake/Ben or Burks
SG:Jrich/Thybulle
SF:Tobias/ Furk
PF:Ben/????
C:Joel/Horford

The backup PF and PGs spot is the one up for grabs...Tobias will probably technically be the back up there when Joel sits. I imagine Joel is the first out and is probably going to be paired with either Shake or Jrich with Al being the 6th man type.

So that will probably come down to matchups and who is hot between Scott or GR3 but when the playoffs get going we probably shorten the rotation and thus Ben and Tobias will probably log a ton of minutes and we probably see the return of the Al/JoJo lineups
#NeverGonnaBeGood
User avatar
ProcessDoctor
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,682
And1: 2,173
Joined: Jul 02, 2006
   

Re: Championship hopes 

Post#214 » by ProcessDoctor » Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:01 pm

I can't see us regularly using more than 8 guys in our rotation. The starting lineup + Al + Tisse + Furk with Burks sprinkled in is my best guess.
2019-2020 Philadelphia 76ers:

Milton/Neto
Richardson/Korkmaz/Smith
Harris/Thybulle/Burks
Simmons/Robinson/Scott
Embiid/Horford/Pelle/O’Quinn
Kobblehead
RealGM
Posts: 30,623
And1: 12,744
Joined: Apr 15, 2010
 

Re: Championship hopes 

Post#215 » by Kobblehead » Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:34 am

Burks' playstyle (scoring off the dribble) is extremely important for playoff basketball.
LloydFree
RealGM
Posts: 13,731
And1: 9,720
Joined: Aug 20, 2012
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Re: Championship hopes 

Post#216 » by LloydFree » Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:40 am

When and if the 76ers get into a tough playoff series, I fully expect Burks to be in the rotation. In a normal playoff format, I'd guarantee it. I'd bet against Korkmaz playing any significant playoff minutes if there were real opposing crowds involved, but the youngsters have a chance to succeed in this format.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
User avatar
76ciology
RealGM
Posts: 42,563
And1: 13,347
Joined: Jun 06, 2002
Contact:

Re: Championship hopes 

Post#217 » by 76ciology » Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:38 am

You need a 3 to win the game.
Do you put Ben in?

The opposing team is an elite defensive team. The opponent is playing zone. Biid is struggling with his 3s.
Do you put both Ben and Biid in?
“Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there is absolutely no point.”
Winejk
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,474
And1: 420
Joined: Jun 28, 2010

Re: Championship hopes 

Post#218 » by Winejk » Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:54 pm

76ciology wrote:You need a 3 to win the game.
Do you put Ben in?

The opposing team is an elite defensive team. The opponent is playing zone. Biid is struggling with his 3s.
Do you put both Ben and Biid in?


Yeah you put Ben in to inbound the ball.
LloydFree
RealGM
Posts: 13,731
And1: 9,720
Joined: Aug 20, 2012
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Re: Championship hopes 

Post#219 » by LloydFree » Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:59 pm

I'm looking forward to a playoff where we're not pulling a starter off the court for defense, because they're incapable of stopping the simplest action.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
NBD23
Sophomore
Posts: 209
And1: 15
Joined: Feb 17, 2010
       

Re: Championship hopes 

Post#220 » by NBD23 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:14 pm

LloydFree wrote:I'm looking forward to a playoff where we're not pulling a starter off the court for defense, because they're incapable of stopping the simplest action.


This, forever this. You can call me old school or whatever but I still think defense wins in the playoffs.
Brooklyn Nets

Starters
PG Kyle Lowry
SG Aaron Afflalo
SF Mo Harkless
PF Noah Vonleh
C Andre Drummond


Bench
Lou Williams, Amir Johnson, Ben McLemore

Return to Philadelphia 76ers