ImageImageImage

Championship hopes

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,474

Re: Championship hopes 

Post#261 » by youngcrev » Mon Aug 3, 2020 5:21 pm

It's just so deflating after how good they looked that first scrimmage to see them back to doing the same exact BS. They were running PnR, Ben was shooting 3s, they were aggressively trying to force turnovers.
stormi
General Manager
And1: 7,700

Post#262 » by stormi » Mon Aug 3, 2020 7:32 pm

Our problems are still our problems that have been our problems.

no depth.

Boston/Milwaukee/Miami/Toronto can go 7/8/9 deep with quality players they can rotate and trust in big games.

we have... maybe 4?
bball4life
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,263

Post#263 » by bball4life » Mon Aug 3, 2020 8:08 pm

stormi wrote:Our problems are still our problems that have been our problems.

no depth.

Boston/Milwaukee/Miami/Toronto can go 7/8/9 deep with quality players they can rotate and trust in big games.

we have... maybe 4?

This is just not true. Bucks with Bledsoe are deep, but the Celtics don't even have one quality big let alone depth. They play Wanamaker and Grant Williams significant minutes. GRANT WILLIAMS. They would kill for Thybulle or Burks or even Korkmaz or Richardson. The DIFFERENCE is those teams have coaches that know how to play to their player's strengths and attack other team's weaknesses. Toronto is no better in depth. They are playing undrafted dudes regularly. Again, well coached. We have the anti-coach. Tries to play a certain way regardless of the personnel he has. Its disgusting and awful.
Mik317
RealGM
And1: 17,843

Post#264 » by Mik317 » Mon Aug 3, 2020 8:44 pm

other teams have multiple guys who won't die when they have to dribble. They also have guys who can play off ball...we have maybe Korkmaz.
#NeverGonnaBeGood
youngcrev
RealGM

Post#265 » by youngcrev » Mon Aug 3, 2020 9:12 pm

Last year your top 2 bench options were Mike Scott and James Ennis, and Greg Monroe was your backup center. If their bench was anyway near this good last year they might have won the title (hard to say what happens against the Bucks).

I don't think their depth is a particularly big issue this year. Not replacing the shooting and playmaking of JJ and Jimmy is.
Iversean
Sixth Man
And1: 58

Post#266 » by Iversean » Mon Aug 3, 2020 10:05 pm

At this point, I'd rather stay at 6 and face the Celtics in the first round. I like our chances against them.

If we get past them, then we would most likely face Toronto which I think will be a toss-up since home court doesn't really matter. And hope for whoever wins the 4-5 to knock out MIL. Would prefer to not see MIL until the Conference Finals if all goes well.
youngcrev
RealGM

Post#267 » by youngcrev » Mon Aug 3, 2020 10:09 pm

Iversean wrote:At this point, I'd rather stay at 6 and face the Celtics in the first round. I like our chances against them.

If we get past them, then we would most likely face Toronto which I think will be a toss-up since home court doesn't really matter. And hope for whoever wins the 4-5 to knock out MIL. Would prefer to not see MIL until the Conference Finals if all goes well.

It's the preferred strategic route (plus aids in keeping that OKC pick), but I'd certainly feel lot better about them if they were actually playing good basketball.
NYSixersFan
Analyst
And1: 1,563

Post#268 » by NYSixersFan » Mon Aug 3, 2020 10:20 pm

We have an excellent bench actually....we need to shorten it once the playoffs start....Horford, Burks, Furkan and Thybulle....nobody else
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,561

Post#269 » by 76ciology » Tue Aug 4, 2020 5:11 am

You’re continuing seeing Tobi stepping up to be our 2nd scorer with Ben stepping down and focusing to get shooters involved.

IMO, the next step is to have Josh Rich take the 3rd scorer role on our team he has to be better.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#270 » by 76ciology » Tue Aug 4, 2020 5:13 am

no depth.

we have... maybe 4?

We probably are the 2nd deepest team behind the Clippers.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#271 » by 76ciology » Tue Aug 4, 2020 5:29 am

Do our team play better when the refs are soft with their calls or are we better when the refs allow the game to be physical? I feel like when the refs are soft with their calls it turns into a scoring contest and our defensive prowess is weakened
Dnt hate
Sixth Man
And1: 899

Post#272 » by Dnt hate » Tue Aug 4, 2020 6:21 am

76ciology wrote:Do our team play better when the refs are soft with their calls or are we better when the refs allow the game to be physical? I feel like when the refs are soft with their calls it turns into a scoring contest and our defensive prowess is weakened

Your right and it should change in the playoffs
76ciology
RealGM

Post#273 » by 76ciology » Tue Aug 4, 2020 7:27 am

Kinda know where Biid is going with that rift with Milton.

Biid wants Milton to be better on defense because if not he’s not going to be playable at the big stage. He’s going to get attacked relentlessly.

Its not an issue right now but when teams realized this, its game over for him
76ciology
RealGM

Post#274 » by 76ciology » Tue Aug 4, 2020 7:31 am

Dnt hate wrote:
76ciology wrote:Do our team play better when the refs are soft with their calls or are we better when the refs allow the game to be physical? I feel like when the refs are soft with their calls it turns into a scoring contest and our defensive prowess is weakened

Your right and it should change in the playoffs

Thanks.

My thinking is we don’t have a heavy perimeter oriented offense so our offense is not that powerful to match-up against teams like the Rockets or maybe even the Bucks.

To counter that we rely on our defense to even the playing field or even give as the edge.

If the refs wont allow us to play defense, it will turn out into a TJ Warren shooting 3s vs Embiid shooting 2s contest.

Fwiw, I read on twitter how the pace on offense is ridiculous this bubble and watching the games you kind of understand it with how the fouls are being called
Wilfried
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,909

Post#275 » by Wilfried » Tue Aug 4, 2020 9:22 am

Have to become realistic now, the championship hopes are for next season I'm afraid.

The way we have been playing this season, won't get us out of the second round (maybe not the first round)

Love the way Joel is playing since the Corona-break, and I can imagine our new line-up needs time, but I also cannot deny there's so much miss-fit on this team.

My first and most obvious conclusion, why this team is not good enough is, that we really (throughout the whole season) cannot keep a lead.

We were up against the Pacers (also in those 'scrimmages) too, now SA (14 points to start the 4th). And it's the story this whole season.

That, and the fact our D is not good enough and Ben is not taking over on offense.

Pretty sure we will say goodbye to Brett after the season and I'm really not sure if they will keep Ben aboard, if we could make a deal for a 'star'-shooter (Beal, Lillard, Booker).

Also a bit dissapointed in J-Rich. I really liked him at Miami and thought he was going to be a glue-guy. But injuries and also not good enough shooting kept him from being a valuable piece.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#276 » by 76ciology » Tue Aug 4, 2020 5:42 pm

Read on Twitter
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,133

Post#277 » by Arsenal » Tue Aug 4, 2020 5:55 pm

Wilfried wrote:Have to become realistic now, the championship hopes are for next season I'm afraid.

The way we have been playing this season, won't get us out of the second round (maybe not the first round)

Love the way Joel is playing since the Corona-break, and I can imagine our new line-up needs time, but I also cannot deny there's so much miss-fit on this team.

My first and most obvious conclusion, why this team is not good enough is, that we really (throughout the whole season) cannot keep a lead.

We were up against the Pacers (also in those 'scrimmages) too, now SA (14 points to start the 4th). And it's the story this whole season.

That, and the fact our D is not good enough and Ben is not taking over on offense.

Pretty sure we will say goodbye to Brett after the season and I'm really not sure if they will keep Ben aboard, if we could make a deal for a 'star'-shooter (Beal, Lillard, Booker).

Also a bit dissapointed in J-Rich. I really liked him at Miami and thought he was going to be a glue-guy. But injuries and also not good enough shooting kept him from being a valuable piece.

Agree. Embiid is in MVP form, so he's good enough to get us to the 2nd round by himself. After that, the rest of the team will let us down. We have no shot at beating MIL and are decided underdogs against TOR also.
stormi
General Manager
And1: 7,700

Post#278 » by stormi » Tue Aug 4, 2020 7:38 pm

76ciology wrote:

no depth.

we have... maybe 4?

We probably are the 2nd deepest team behind the Clippers.

lirl
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,107

Post#279 » by Kobblehead » Tue Aug 4, 2020 8:25 pm

I don't think we have any depth, either. We can't even field a proven, reliable, and established starting lineup.
kuclas
General Manager
And1: 3,905

Post#280 » by kuclas » Wed Aug 5, 2020 12:11 am

Kobblehead wrote:I don't think we have any depth, either. We can't even field a proven, reliable, and established starting lineup.

We have plenty of depth. When you can get 25 min from horford off the bench, 10-15 min off bench of kork, Burke, Scott. That’s plenty of depth

And that’s not counting neto, Glenn Robinson 3 either.

The bench isn’t the problem. It’s this team doesn’t have chemistry. I see very little ball movement in the half court. Maybe this changes with Milton at least being able to shoot off an embiid kick out from the post. At least Milton will have someone running at him as opposed to Simmons who won’t shoot it. Milton can swing it to Harris or jrich or whoever is open if the close out happens

That is what this team is really missing. Half court ball movement. I really miss that from the 2017-2018 team. We moved the ball around a lot.

Part of is embiid tunnel vision. But as we all know. Part of is Simmons clogging up the interior or being flat out ignored.

I like the last play to win the game. Embiid trying to establish low post. Granted it lightweight poetl but even against Toronto. You can see Toronto fake the double team to confuse embiid as he gets low.

With a decent shooter in Milton on the same side. It will force teams to actually commit to either embiid or stay with Milton. It’s a very simple play.

So teams can fake the double team all they want with embiid. The open shooter just needs to shoot. They aren’t going to make all the shots. We just hope they make enough to keep team honest. It changes the complexity of how teams can defend embiid in the paint. I’d take my chances if Toronto wants to let gasol single team embiid 5 foot from the basket. Embiid is gonna to get fouled more times than often that close to the bucket. It’s when embiid tries to dribble and back gasol down from 15 feet outside where gasol and Toronto have all the advantages in the world. Embiid 5 foot from the basket single team by gasol. I’d take embiid getting some points.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers