Underwhelming Former Sixers

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

Eyeamok
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,371

Re: Underwhelming Former Sixers 

Post#21 » by Eyeamok » Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:59 pm

Phillyboy wrote:
ankle420breaker wrote:The Bynums, Fultz', etc are givens.

Sent from my SM-G970U using RealGM mobile app

Kenny Payne- A high draft choice never panned out

This guy broke my brother's heart. There was a fight I believe and Barkley and a few other players were out. Kenny Pane got his opportunity to play and put up a good number of points. After that he was toast. I don't think he ever did anything close to that again.
The Accession of Paul Reed is upon us !

You want it to be one way....but it's the other way.

Marlo
Phillyboy
Analyst
And1: 19

Post#22 » by Phillyboy » Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:40 pm

Sorry to be off topic here but I've been away from the board for years and I'm now going to post occasionally again. It's great to see so many long timers still here. I'm hoping one of you guys can tell me how I can reload my avatar. Followed the directions but it just won't work for me. Thanks in advance for your help.

Next post back on topic
Be a thinker. Not a stinker- Apollo Creed
Phillyboy
Analyst
And1: 19

Post#23 » by Phillyboy » Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:16 pm

ankle420breaker wrote:There was a stint where it looked like Shavlick Randolph was going to turn into a nice rotation big. His fate was more tied to health issues though.

I liked Randolph too. He was not star quality but when healthy he played hard to his abilities and was fairly consistent night after night. Too bad injuries took it's toll. So as he relates to this topic he's a bit different since if he was a bit "underwhelming" it wasn't his fault at all.

Another guy this applies to is Todd MacCulloch. Again, he wasn't a star but played hard when healthy. At the time I was OK with him as our starting center. And of course Charcot–Marie–Tooth disease slowed him then ended what would have been a notable career.

Can't help myself since I'm here but following this slight turn in the thread how about Andrew Toney? By no means was he underwhelming at all BUT the "agony of de-feet" robbed us of years of the Boston Strangler. Had he been healthy and played for years after, his name would come up more often when we discuss Sixers and NBA greats
Be a thinker. Not a stinker- Apollo Creed
ankle420breaker
General Manager
And1: 1,957

Post#24 » by ankle420breaker » Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:33 am

Big Mac ALL DAY! Softest touch around the basket Philly has seen in the last 20 years (followed by Thad Young).

Toney was a bit before my time so I can't recall the expectations he carried coming into Philly. Being a dragon slayer in the postseason has to exceed projections, even for a guy who was drafted 8th overall.

Winejk
Bench Warmer
And1: 432

Post#25 » by Winejk » Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:30 pm

Fultz is an obvious choice. But another obvious choice that has not been mentioned yet is Shawn Bradley. Chris Webber went #1 and Bradely went #2. #3 was Anfernee Hardaway which was the guy I was jonesing for. Despite having skill, Bradley could never keep good weight on and he got shoved around. His long limbs also took time to get moving. The Magic actually traded Webber for Anfernee and three first round draft picks. Webber was very good, but I still would have liked Hardaway over Webber.

Roy Hinson was another under performer. Sixers traded the #1 overall pick which turned out to be Brad Daugherty for Hinson. Sixers wanted Hinson because it was hard to find a perfect match to go along with Barkley. Because of Hinson's length, athleticism and skill, Sixers thought he would fit with Barkley. Never materialized and Daugherty became a very good player for a long time in the league. In hindsight Pat Williams the then-GM said that draft was filled with druggies - Chris Washburn, Roy Tarpley, Len Bias...- so they really didn't want to risk anything by drafting someone with drug problems.
XtremeDunkz
General Manager
And1: 6,760

Post#26 » by XtremeDunkz » Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:27 pm

I thought Arnette Moultrie was a great trade...
10/27/16
Nemesis21 wrote:It is absolutely hilarious hearing people still say Embiid has superstar potential.The guy is one injury away from being Greg Oden.:lol: Except Oden manged to play over 100 games in the NBA, I don't think Embiid will play more.
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 14,114

Post#27 » by BullyKing » Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:13 am

Great, but painful, thread to read.

Derrick Coleman and Chris Webber stand out to me. In terms of draft picks, Tim Thomas.
NYSixersFan wrote:
the plan is to get as good as quickly as possible....I fully believe we could have been a borderline playoff team last year by adding young veterans....using or draft picks and cap space.....can I specifically tell you who? no.
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,726

Post#28 » by HotelVitale » Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:56 am

76ciology wrote:All of Hinkie’s incoming assets (from picks to players) except for Embiid.

I mean, aside from Covington, Dario, Jerami Grant, Richaun Holmes, and TJ McConnell, most of whom got picked off the scrap heap or with picks anyone could've bought for a couple bucks. Had a pretty nice run there.
NYSixersFan
Veteran
And1: 1,531

Post#29 » by NYSixersFan » Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:58 am

Shawn Bradley, Stackhouse, Hughes, Evan Turner, Okafor, Fultz
ankle420breaker
General Manager

Post#30 » by ankle420breaker » Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:35 pm

Rodney Rogers

Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,011

Post#31 » by Sixerscan » Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:07 pm

ankle420breaker wrote:
Phillyboy wrote:
ankle420breaker wrote:The Bynums, Fultz', etc are givens.

Yo anklebreaker, peace to you sir but if there were givens perhaps they should have been mentioned and now they are.

Hope I'm not still in given territory if I name Shawn Bradley. No need to explain to anyone here why he was underwhelming.

How about our current GM? EB was never the player here he was in LA and yet we all were so very hopeful with signing the top FA that year

How about DC? He's certainly on the list of guys who wasted much of his God given talent

Dalembert played hard in his contract season then regressed after getting his money

Geiger was a slug we hoped much more from and he nixed the deal that would have changed this team

All of the "second scorers" we tried to pair with little what's his name. Kukoc, Hawkins, Stackhouse, Hughes, Van Horn. None of them really filled the role we were looking for especially Softie Van Horn

Kenny Payne- A high draft choice never panned out

Big Dog- A gunner always out of shape. Best years were gone before he got here

Kenny Thomas- Way overpaid tweener

Evan Turner- Extra disappointing since he had a short streak of some great games (remember?) in the middle of his usual mediocre just teased us. good riddance

Chris Webber- Had two triple doubles the week before we traded for him then WTF happened to him once we got him?

There's more but I don't want to write a novel. Again, peace to you sir
OG on the block Peace to you as well, Sir.

Strong list. Dead on about Webber. Everyone points out that he was damaged goods by the time we got him, but forget that he was playing at a ridiculously high level leading up to that trade. Some unexplainable force snatched the life out of him upon his arrival in Philly.

The thing about Webber was he was putting up numbers but in retrospect I wonder how well he was actually playing before the trade. I know I didn't have league pass at the time and I don't think many people did. We also didn't value efficiency like we do now and Webber was under 50 TS% every year after he blew out his knee (which made him a pretty terrible fit with Iverson).

I think him winning that Western Conference player of the month might have been a bit like when Tobias won it last year with the Clippers- the Kings had a good record that month and they gave the award to their leading scorer. The Kings had a better +/- with Webber off the court, they didn't really drop off after he left, and so on.

The real benefit of that Webber trade was that they were able to get off Kenny Thomas and Brian Skinner who had longer deals. The Skinner contract was ridiculous, he signed that summer for a five year deal close to the full midlevel and then they just didn't play him. Getting off the salary gave Iverson another "star" to play with while also leading to a path to cap space/potentially rebuilding post-Iverson.

Of course they screwed it up because Billy King is a bad GM but that's a whole other thing. If we want to talk "underwhelming" Billy might be at the top of the list.
ankle420breaker
General Manager

Post#32 » by ankle420breaker » Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:29 pm

I remember the team desperately needed a shooting threat when we made the move to bring in Jason Kapono. I believe he was leading the the league in 3PTFG% by a country mile (not to mention reigning 3pt Shootout Champ).

He of course winds up being a totally forgettable non factor in Philly.

NYSixersFan
Veteran
And1: 1,531

Post#33 » by NYSixersFan » Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:28 pm

Webber was on one leg when he came here.
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,667

Post#34 » by rzzzzz » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:03 pm

Phillyboy wrote:Evan Turner- Extra disappointing since he had a short streak of some great games (remember?) in the middle of his usual mediocre just teased us. good riddance

you mean when Doug started him at pg for a couple of games? just like when he played so well for Stevens as a back up pg. which got him the big contract to take care of him the rest of his life. (remember when he played too well for Brett, pulling out a couple of games we wanted to lose and moving us back to the 3rd pick. which was a good one.) not making him out to be anything more than he was. but, he did play well for Boston, and the fans didn't cry when he left. that just about sums up his career.
ivysixer2000
General Manager
And1: 2,009

Post#35 » by ivysixer2000 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:44 am

Sad there is such a long list, one guy I think has been left out is Tim Thomas.

Just always thought he would play harder or just be a better player....never really happened. Hughes by far let me down the most in that era, but Tim was right there.
elchengue20
Sixth Man
And1: 1,461

Post#36 » by elchengue20 » Thu Jul 9, 2020 2:35 am

Evan Turner- If you think about it now, its not that he had clearly the potential to be much better( average athlete and broken jumper) but he was a waste of a pick, we expected much more from a #2 pick.

Moultrie- Had potential but never put the work in.

Rodney Carney- Great athlete, good size. It looked like he had a lot of potential. You could say he was one of those Igoudala, Leonard, Paul George, Giannis type of picks in the 10/15 range. High cieling and low floor. In this case we didnt get lucky, the guy never developed, he just wasnt good enough.

Webber- The expectations were pretty high. AI was finally going to have a co-star who also in theory was a good fit. He just was too washed up.

Fultz- obvious one, but damn he looked just like the player we needed in College and SL.

Bynum- what a bum, and we give up a lot to get him.

MCW- He looked like the second coming of Penny Hardaway in his first NBA game, destroying Lebron, Wade and the Heat. He definetively had potential but couldnt fix his jumpshot. Great move by Hinkie by trading him while he still had value ( we should learn and trade Simmons now, but thats another story lol).
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,667

Post#37 » by Negrodamus » Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:28 pm

Random thought:

Isn't it ironic that from 96-06 we had a HOF undersized shooting guard that could created all the offense himself with zero to maybe above average offensively capable players around him and now we have multiple scoring options but zero perimeter offensive creators/scorers?

Depending on how he would have be able to adjust his game to the pieces on the team, Iverson on this current team would make us the favorite to win it all, imo.
eagereyez
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,462

Post#38 » by eagereyez » Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:14 am

Negrodamus wrote:Depending on how he would have be able to adjust his game to the pieces on the team, Iverson on this current team would make us the favorite to win it all, imo.

Replacing Shake Milton with a former MVP would make the Sixers a title favorite? That is the coldest of takes, unless you mean Iverson as he is today.
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,567
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#39 » by LloydFree » Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:04 pm

Surprisingly, during my time as a fan, the 76ers haven't traded away many players I thought were good, that underperformed my expectations (barring major injury). Pretty much: If they were good, they played well on their new teams, and if they were garbage, they played bad like I expected. Dudes like Saric and Okafor, who have been bad, I expected to be bad.

Players I thought were still good, who were worse than expected after leaving:

Tim Thomas
Ratliff (injury)
Aaron McKie (age)
Iverson
Noel
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,667

Post#40 » by rzzzzz » Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:04 pm

LloydFree wrote:Ratliff (injury)

great year before he went down. at least we got a couple years and one title out of Doug and Lloyd.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers